PDA

View Full Version : throwing strength

warnertwotwenty
10-21-2002, 11:54 PM
I am a water polo player, and being able to throw a ball with maximum velocity is an important aspect of the game. However, I know of no specific exercises or routines to increase the power of my throwing muscles. If anyone has any suggestions or methods I could use to strenghten my arm for the specific purpose of throwing, I would be much obliged.

hawkpfc2
10-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Mostly practice, practice, practice. There are a few exercises you can do. I'll write again later tonight.
Cheers,
Ben

Fat Boy
10-22-2002, 05:43 PM
practice with a heavier ball, thats what i see the junior Aussie team do ( not that they are that good), they are in the gym throwing heavier medballs round for practice

H2OPOLO
10-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Hey! Im a water polo player to!!! Damn I thought i was the only one on these boards that is. Well anyways I play 2m set and being big is a big advantage. If your team has one use a weighted ball if you shot is really that bad, but becareful you dont throw out your arm . But just lift hard and it will improve, if your really that bad of a shot just "lob" it. What are you stats, how big are you? What school do you play for? Are you a aggressive player? Or a finess player? PM me ill help you out in the pool.

NoSurrender
11-03-2002, 12:05 AM
All of the "Jobe" exercises used by baseball pitchers might be of use, because the throwing motion in water polo is pretty similar. If you don't know what these are they are a series of exercises using 3-5 lb weights that work the rotator cuff and surrounding areas. For beginners start with your arms in front of your hips and raise them out until they are extended and even with your shoulders and do this 10 times. Then start in the same position and raise them in front of you until your arms are extended for 10 times. Then raise them out like in the first exercise but continue until over your head for 10 times... There are a ton of exercises like these, but hope these 3 help...

DavetheDog
11-03-2002, 08:40 AM
When you practice, think about whipping your arm through when you throw. Strength is important, but don't forget arm speed.

HugeCoach
11-12-2002, 11:06 AM
It sounds like you basically want to throw the ball harder which is what baseball pitchers are looking for also. I coach baseball and was a pitcher myself. The best way to increase throwing velocity is to throw long-toss - throwing over the longest distance possible while still throwing on a fairly flat trajectory. For your purposes, you could use a water polo ball, football, or baseball - any of which should work for you. The other thing you can try is throwing weighted balls, but long-toss is the most effective means. Try for every other day. Good luck.