PDA

View Full Version : HIIT Cardio: Upright Bike vs. Recumbent Bike

TigerStealth
01-15-2008, 03:41 PM
This thread is to compare/contrast HIIT cardio on either the upright or recumbent bike.

Based on my experience with both, here is what i have found:

Upright Bike

PRO's:
1)I personally feel upright hits my middle and outer quad more
2)easier to go at a higher resistance because of the angle

CON's:
1)puts stress on lower back
2)I personally do not feel my teardrop working

Recumbent Bike

PRO's:
1)I believe recumbent hits my teardrop really hard
2)overall HIIT seems harder/more intense on recumbent bike
3)no lower back stress
4)comfortable

CON's:
1)personally i do not feel my middle/outer quad being worked

Conclusion
IMO, I slightly prefer the recumbent bike, but I believe it is best for a person to alternate using both bikes so as to hit all parts of the quad most effectively.

I am interested in hearing the opinions of others, especially on what part of your quad muscle you feel the bikes hitting. (obviously you will feel it in the entire quad, but try to describe which part of the quad you feel it most)

Thanks,

--Joe

billfinkbiner
01-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Honestly, I feel it much more in the glutes as well as quads, but I've got some long legs. I prefer the upright. As for quads on it, they just burn everywhere.

The recumbent taxes my groin muscles a lot more.

AllGenetix
01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
i prefer upright because it allows me to put maximum intensity into it. i feel that the more natural pelvic tilt you have on the bike will utilize the whole sweep of the leg much more than if you actually sit in a fixed position. And for "feeling it work", i think it has to do more with the heart pumping than the legs. the minimal difference of the bikes won't make much difference IMO, but if you start talking about hill sprints, now thats a different story!

ChokeOnStrength
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I dunno bout you guys, but my fav form of HIIT is Weighted Vest in Sand Sprints... Not always optimal due to weather conditions... But damn does that get you throwing up some badboys

AllGenetix
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
throwing up = second wind.....

TigerStealth
01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Honestly, I feel it much more in the glutes as well as quads, but I've got some long legs. I prefer the upright. As for quads on it, they just burn everywhere.

The recumbent taxes my groin muscles a lot more.

good point bill, I forgot to mention glute involvement.

i prefer upright because it allows me to put maximum intensity into it. i feel that the more natural pelvic tilt you have on the bike will utilize the whole sweep of the leg much more than if you actually sit in a fixed position. And for "feeling it work", i think it has to do more with the heart pumping than the legs. the minimal difference of the bikes won't make much difference IMO, but if you start talking about hill sprints, now thats a different story!

yea hill sprints are awesome. Its interesting to hear you say you can put more intensity into upright. For me I feel like the resistance is much harder on recumbent.

I dunno bout you guys, but my fav form of HIIT is Weighted Vest in Sand Sprints... Not always optimal due to weather conditions... But damn does that get you throwing up some badboys

LOL that sounds hardcore. I can't wait for summer when I am only a few weeks out from my first contest and able to do HIIT outside. I saw layne post one time that he pushes a car in neutral for HIIT...I am definitely going to try that.

ChokeOnStrength
01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
LOL that sounds hardcore. I can't wait for summer when I am only a few weeks out from my first contest and able to do HIIT outside. I saw layne post one time that he pushes a car in neutral for HIIT...I am definitely going to try that.

Try it, it's bad ass. When I am in mega mode to get ultra ripped next time. My main source of cardio is going to be strong man drills with this team I know. It'll be bad ass, throwing around an 800lb tire will get your HR into the 190's for sure.

swfx
01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Try it, it's bad ass. When I am in mega mode to get ultra ripped next time. My main source of cardio is going to be strong man drills with this team I know. It'll be bad ass, throwing around an 800lb tire will get your HR into the 190's for sure.

Your quads are going to look like something out of an anatomy book.

Oh, and to the OP:
http://i6.tinypic.com/6jmnndl.jpg

TigerStealth
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Your quads are going to look like something out of an anatomy book.

Oh, and to the OP:
http://i6.tinypic.com/6jmnndl.jpg

yea I like doing sprints on a track too...unfortunately its too cold to do that right now. This summer I will definitely be doing some track sprints and stadium stairs sprints.

swfx
01-15-2008, 04:51 PM
yea I like doing sprints on a track too...unfortunately its too cold to do that right now. This summer I will definitely be doing some track sprints and stadium stairs sprints.

Haha yeah, I understand, I live in New England...

I would think either bike would work fine.

My gym has some rowing machines, I might try some HIIT on those after leg day.

TallBlackguy
01-06-2010, 06:32 AM

freakin juice head