PDA

View Full Version : Impact of nuts/veggies on thyroid?

jg_girl088
01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
So I just came across something a little depressing - apparently nuts and some vegetables are bad for the thyroid? I know soy is, but I didn't know that it was also harmful to eat peanuts?

from this link - http://www.medicalonly.com/index.php/2007/04/

"Some of the culprits most frequently cited by experts include kale, cabbage, turnips, mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, cassava, pine nuts, peanuts, millet, and soy-based products. Although the exact extent of their thyroid-suppressing action remains unclear, experts suggest avoiding the consumption of large quantities of foods in the goitrogenic category."

I don't have a thyroid problem, but I eat a lot of nuts/veggies (within my carb allowance) and so I don't want to run into problems later!

Minotaur
01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
If these vegetables are cooked (except millet... it gets worse for thyroid patients when it's cooked) they are not a problem. If you are euthyroid (no thyroid problem) they are no problem. They will not cause hypothyroidism. Soy is always bad for hypothyroid patients.

jg_girl088
01-04-2008, 04:31 PM
so even if i eat a ton of almonds/peanuts everyday for the rest of my life, i would not have to worry about developing thyroid problems? I guess its good that I do like my veggies cooked (and I dont eat millet, whatever that is lol)

Minotaur
01-04-2008, 04:53 PM
You should be OK... it doesn't come from diet. Hypothyroidism is usually an autoimmune disorder and tends to run in families.

jg_girl088
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh ok, thanks for the info!

Eileen
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Long term low calorie dieting (and we are talking years rather than months) can reduce thyroid function, but regular refeeds go a long way to preventing that.

Soy is all forms is a big No No when it comes to thyroid function. So there go all the low carb bars.....

chodan9
01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
so your saying something like soy milk would affect a normal healthy thyroid negatively? how so if thats the case?

Eileen
01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, if three servings of soy a week can reduce the fertility of healthy men, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find soy can do nasty things to your thyroid.

I don't know the exact mechanism, but soy and thyroids are not a good mix.

rusrious
01-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Soy is not good for your thyroid. My doctor told me so.. I have a thyroid problem, ( Hypo).. I take synthroid every darm day.. I hate it..