PDA

View Full Version : processed meats

Fat Ryan
12-22-2007, 01:32 AM
so i hear processed meats can have hidden carbs. so does that mean even if it says 0g carbs on the label it could still have hidden carbs?

MarkVI
12-22-2007, 01:57 AM
look at the carb count, the ingredients, and the order of the ingredients.

Smelly_Pits
12-22-2007, 09:35 AM
so i hear processed meats can have hidden carbs. so does that mean even if it says 0g carbs on the label it could still have hidden carbs?
If it says zero carbs then it means less then a gram which is fine. Some can have hidden carbs because they do not have a label on them so you just don't know.

I think one reason people stay away from the processed meats is because of the curing or preservatives they put in them, not the carb count.

Myself, I eat them a lot.

Fat Ryan
12-22-2007, 12:14 PM
well screw preservatives, i could care less. i only care about the carbs

abar
12-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Then look at the nutritional label. It isn't legal to just lie on the Nutritional Facts box.

Eileen
12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
If it says 0 carbs per 100g of meat, then you are safe. If it says 0 carbs per serving, keep reading. Some food products use tiny serving sizes just so they can round down their carbs or fat legally.

Read the ingredients. If sugar/dextrose/honey/lactose or anything similar is one of the first few ingredients, then don't buy it.

Also, watch out for processed meat with a lot of added salt. That will make you retain water like a sponge.

Fat Ryan
12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
If it says 0 carbs per 100g of meat, then you are safe. If it says 0 carbs per serving, keep reading. Some food products use tiny serving sizes just so they can round down their carbs or fat legally.

Read the ingredients. If sugar/dextrose/honey/lactose or anything similar is one of the first few ingredients, then don't buy it.

Also, watch out for processed meat with a lot of added salt. That will make you retain water like a sponge.

ok thank you eileen :)