PDA

View Full Version : Spin Lock DBs

Pairunoyd
09-04-2002, 12:11 PM
i dont know how much attention this forum gets. from the looks of it, very little.

im in the market for some dbs and an adjustable bench. ive looked at buying db sets and 'power blocks' but ive decided its just too much to spend. i think ive settled on the 'spin lock' dumbells. any of you guys own these? what are the pros and cons? i know having to change the weights is a major con, but is it that big of a hassle? also, how secure are the plates, do you only tighten them by hand? thanks!

JustinSLeighton
09-04-2002, 05:08 PM
CHANGEING THEM SUCKS MAJOR ASS!!!!

ctgblue
09-04-2002, 06:49 PM
They are secure when tightened, they WILL loosen on movements like curls, where you rotate the plates.
But put them on the ground and give them a little spin in the tighten direction and they hold fine.
Cheap to get weight, but hard on your legs to KNEE them up to your chest at the higher weights, I don't go past 90-95 due to this because that is about the limit I can really control well when bringing back down from the incline position.
I use 25lb plates as the big wheel so changing the smaller ones is no big deal.
Hard to beat for the price

Pairunoyd
09-05-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ctgblue
They are secure when tightened, they WILL loosen on movements like curls, where you rotate the plates.
But put them on the ground and give them a little spin in the tighten direction and they hold fine.
Cheap to get weight, but hard on your legs to KNEE them up to your chest at the higher weights, I don't go past 90-95 due to this because that is about the limit I can really control well when bringing back down from the incline position.

you said theyre hard on your legs when kneeing them up. do you hold them on end on your leg or lay them flat on your leg? id think laying them on end would be impossibly painful and if you lay them flat i would guess the 25 lb plates might be the reason they hurt your legs. i dunno.

ever heard of the 'smart lock' dbs? they look real easy to change out, but they only go up to 65 lbs each. at least the ones i saw. ill look some more.

oh, ive gotten some prices on the smart lock dbs and the spin lock dbs as well as the plates. if i cant find free shippng im gonna price them here locally. whats a good price on the handles and the plates???

ctgblue
09-05-2002, 07:42 AM
Actually, you DO put the end on your leg, that's where the 25lb plates are handy as you can lay the edge of the plate on your leg, but as you get up around 90-95lbs, the smaller weights make it more difficult to position correctly when putting them down.

Wildcat33
09-10-2002, 10:44 AM
I have a set of spin lock dumbbells and like them pretty good. Would prefer an entire set of hexagonal dumbbells, but they would take up more space and cost a heck of a lot more.

Haven't had any loosening problems with my spin locks, but the handles have a rubber insert around them that seems to keep the collars from loosening up. Biggest gripes are the time spent changing plates, and the fact that they are standard post so I had to buy seperate plates for them.

Pairunoyd
09-15-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by ctgblue

I've had my spin lock dbs for a week or so but i just used them for the first time on a chest workout. i bought an adjustable bench yesterday so i could do chest. i loved it. i actually found it easier to get them to my chest when compared to hexagons. i used 85's, but i dont see why any heavier would suddenly be harder than hexagons.

MuscleGainer
09-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Pairunoyd

you said theyre hard on your legs when kneeing them up. do you hold them on end on your leg or lay them flat on your leg? id think laying them on end would be impossibly painful and if you lay them flat i would guess the 25 lb plates might be the reason they hurt your legs. i dunno.

ever heard of the 'smart lock' dbs? they look real easy to change out, but they only go up to 65 lbs each. at least the ones i saw. ill look some more.

oh, ive gotten some prices on the smart lock dbs and the spin lock dbs as well as the plates. if i cant find free shippng im gonna price them here locally. whats a good price on the handles and the plates???

Actually www.fit-1.com has heavy duty smartlock handles for up to 120 lbs but it says to call.

Pairunoyd
09-28-2002, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the help musclegainer! Unfortunately they're no longer available, any of them. I dont know if its that they arent selling them or the manufacturer isnt making them. I did come across a 'hex plus' system. You get three db's - 5's, 25'5, 45'5. Each db has a short set of threads on the end that allows you to add 2.5, 5, or 7.5 lb plates. The plates are threaded. So in essence you have from 5's to 60's. Cost is $199 without the tree stand. There is also a +lbs system. Anyone familiar w/ any of hese or other systems and if theyre any good? I could eventually afford a hex set (15-120's) but my house isnt on a slab and im afraid of having all that weight.

CreatineMan
10-05-2002, 06:52 PM
i have them, and i love them, they are safe, and better than the clips