PDA

View Full Version : Loss of more and more freedoms since 9/11

Big_League
07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
With the most recent new addition of security checks going on at NCY subways, more and more Americans are feeling abused. But I don't think the point is neccisarily just being late to work.

I don't think the point is the hassle of being searched.

Or even having your entire schedule messed up.

I think the point is it seems like we just keep losing more and more freedoms. Since 9/11, we are

having our credit card bills monitered
having what books we check out monitered
more security at stadiums
more security at airports
less need for a warrant
raised national security

and now searches before subways.

What's next, bugs planted into our brains?

DonkeySlap101
07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
This is why Canada is awesome.

Wheylord Focker
07-21-2005, 05:05 PM
With the most recent new addition of security checks going on at NCY subways, more and more Americans are feeling abused. But I don't think the point is neccisarily just being late to work.

I think the point is it seems like we just keep losing more and more freedoms. Since 9/11, we are

less need for a warrant
raised national security

it's crazy man. damn selfish terrorists cant just live their own lives. WTF is wrong with these inhuman beings

DonkeySlap101
07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I see George DUBBA as just as much as a terrorist as any other person on this planet.

Wheylord Focker
07-21-2005, 05:13 PM
I see George DUBBA as just as much as a terrorist as any other person on this planet.

exactly how? i dont understand how people say this?

Semtex
07-21-2005, 05:26 PM

less need for a warrant
raised national security

WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?! If you are so bothered by their security checks, why dont you think of a plan that is better? That DOESNT involve all of us dying by a terrorist attack?

trek_6k
07-21-2005, 05:31 PM

less need for a warrant
raised national security

Concerning individuals rights and freedoms, it can viewed a lot like a pendulum... it swings between governmental control and individuals rights. As far as post 9/11, the Patriot Act alone violates some of our Constitutional Rights. Take Jose Padilla, a suspected terrorist who has been held in jail since October 2002 without being told what he's charged with, access to a lawyer, or any way to access a writ for habeas corpus. Can you imagine someone you know being taken away and held for 2.5+ years like this?

But lets be honest... everyone bitched that we needed more security. That opened up the gates for security, security, and more security. Now some people view it as too much. In time, our individual rights will become a bigger interest and government will lose some of its control. Maybe the Patriot Act won't be renewed?

Personally, I wouldn't mind being searched or monitored because I'm not doing anything illegal. Does it infringe on my reasonable expectation to privacy and is it an illegal search? Maybe... maybe not. But lifes rough, get a ****ing helmet.

John Hicks
07-21-2005, 05:31 PM

Because it fuels the fire to keep American troops in Iraq and keep the capitalistic spending machine running full blast. After it's all said and done, Dubya will have run us into debt by the tune of 5 trillion dollars.

Big_League
07-21-2005, 05:55 PM
We have to compromise our freedom for security. The more security we have, the less freedom we have. Think about it, what is the most secure environment? Maximum security prison.

Now obviously America isn't a prison. But we can be locked up for talking bad about America, and we do have a lot of new restrictions, security checks, etc. I'm not saying I could do better as President or that I wish we had no security, or that America is like a maximum security prison, but like trek_6k says, 2.5 years in prison and never being told why?

Where do we draw the line? How far is too far?

Big_League
07-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Well, Bush is attacking Iraq, having innocent citizens killed (not on purpouse, but there are casualties), having our soldiers killed (once again not on purpouse, but there are over 1,000 dead so far), and he has no good reason (his first reason was to find weapons of mass destruction, but none were found, yet we remain there). And the war was originally called "Operation Iraqi Freedom", i.e. we are attacking them because we view their government as unfair and want them to follow our government (democracy). Well, the terrorists think that western culture is unfair and they want us to follow their culutre. Bush also justifies our war as moral by Christianity, and terrorists think what they're doing is moral according to the Quran, well at least the extremists do.

I'm not saying Bush is a terrorist, but it's pretty strange.