PDA

View Full Version : Neck

JuviJuice8
12-17-2001, 06:52 PM
What are your suggestions for training the neck? The only exercises I know are shrugs and that only gets the muscles beside the neck. Any suggestions are helpful, thanks

The MYTH
12-17-2001, 06:53 PM
upright rows

MICHAL KINDRED
12-17-2001, 06:57 PM
SORRY, BUT I CAN'T HELP TO NOT TO ASK....... WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORKOUT YOUR NECK? FOR WHAT?

PEACE
MICHAL KINDRED

The MYTH
12-17-2001, 07:00 PM
i think by neck he meant traps

JayHeich
12-18-2001, 04:53 PM
what if hes a wrestler? he might need a big neck ...

JuviJuice8
12-18-2001, 05:01 PM
Neck is still part of your body! And if you have a weak neck, that will show no matter what. I want a strong neck for football and rugby

Dawg
12-18-2001, 08:42 PM
Try wrestler's bridges....those work the neck well.

Also, there's a harness you can use to add weight and do raises...it looks like a head harness with a chain attached to add weight (can't explain it well...sorry)...

Richie
12-18-2001, 10:21 PM
i have been training my neck for a few months now. i bought a head harness where i add weight to it. start with your chin on your chest and raise your head up until you are looking straight ahead. (no further) then i lie flat on a bench with my head hanging over the edge. put a weight plate on your forehead and move your head from all the way down and once again try and put your chin on your chest. i use weights that allow me to do around 20 or 30 reps as you DO NOT need a lot of weight to stimulate this area. i was really surprised at quickly my neck responded. i always do shrugs but these 2 excersises really hits the back & front of your neck directly. also i haven't had a tension headache (which i'm proned to) since i've been doing these neck movements. Richie

Fang
12-18-2001, 10:47 PM
I play rugby too and do this for my neck on shoulder day (please forgive my lack of decent terminology):

Exercise #1 - Lie on your back on a bench so that your head hangs off the end. Get a 25lb plate, not dumbbell, and place it on your forehead. Hold it in place with your hands. Using your neck, pull your head up so that your chin can touch your chest. Then go back down slowly and back up again. Do at least 10 reps.

Exersice #2 - Same as above, except lie on your side and put weight on side of head. Do both sides for good balance.

Exercise #3 - This one's tricky, but it works. Put a folded towel on the back of your head. Sit four-legged under the bar of a smith machine, with the bar resting on the back of your head. Lower your head so your chin touches your chest and then raise it so that it is level again. Do not go all the way back unless you want to crank the begeesus out of your spine!!!!

3-4 sets, 10-15 reps. stretch lots!!!! and remember that your neck will respond very quickly to these workouts. I hope this helps, my fellow rugger!

-Fang

Levrone2000
12-19-2001, 01:56 PM
bump on that fang