PDA

View Full Version : Are you supposed to tighten your traps when you deadlift?

FROGGBUSTER
09-23-2007, 12:24 PM
there's a thread in the teen section where people were saying deadlifts were hard on the traps, but i've never gotten sore in the traps after deadlifting.

are you supposed to hold your traps in a shrugged position when you're deadlifting? thanks.

Thaigga
09-23-2007, 12:37 PM
NO! BAD. Dont shrug the weight! You can retract the scapula to keep the bar closer to your shins but dont shrug

- The deadlift zen master

Newbtime
09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
pulling your shoulders back on deadlift makes it easier to lockout, but unfortunately it also kills your leverages off the floor...

my advice; dont do it.

FROGGBUSTER
09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
ty guys

Thaigga
09-23-2007, 12:46 PM
pulling your shoulders back on deadlift makes it easier to lockout, but unfortunately it also kills your leverages off the floor...

my advice; dont do it.

I dont do it and i have trouble locking out after i rip the weight off the floor.

Hmmmmm... im getting ideas here. Nevermind that would kill my thoracic spine curve :D

matthewluke60
09-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Feet straight, hands as close together as possible (outside of feet) butt down, PULL! Where is all this shrug stuff coming in, yes, occasionally it will be rough on your traps, but no, you are not shrugging the weight or specifically pulling with your traps. You are pulling with EVERYTHING, therefore hard on everything. The only two things I specifically squeeze right before a pull are my abs, and I lower my butt a little and squeeze the glutes like a quick seconds before the pull.

Thaigga
09-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Feet straight, hands as close together as possible (outside of feet) butt down, PULL! Where is all this shrug stuff coming in, yes, occasionally it will be rough on your traps, but no, you are not shrugging the weight or specifically pulling with your traps. You are pulling with EVERYTHING, therefore hard on everything. The only two things I specifically squeeze right before a pull are my abs, and I lower my butt a little and squeeze the glutes like a quick seconds before the pull.

styles vary, i pull very unorthodox. What you described is a pretty good style but i switch a few things around. Its worth trying, froggbuster http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/tphillips1.htm

WowWeakForum
09-23-2007, 01:25 PM
there's a thread in the teen section where people were saying deadlifts were hard on the traps, but i've never gotten sore in the traps after deadlifting.

are you supposed to hold your traps in a shrugged position when you're deadlifting? thanks.

Take 2 weeks off to decondition yourself, then do 5-8 sets of 5reps @65% of your maximum. You will feel your traps the next two days.

While deadlifting, holding your traps in a shrugged position is about as smart as tucking your penis between your thighs

Newbtime
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I dont do it and i have trouble locking out after i rip the weight off the floor.

Hmmmmm... im getting ideas here. Nevermind that would kill my thoracic spine curve :D

you are probably rounding your back too much.

Thaigga
09-23-2007, 04:45 PM
you are probably rounding your back too much.

lower back? Arched. Upper back? Humpback whale. It works for me, as ive only missed 1 lift

tatortotajigalo
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
NO! BAD. Dont shrug the weight! You can retract the scapula to keep the bar closer to your shins but dont shrug

- The deadlift zen master

whats ur max DL?

Thaigga
09-23-2007, 05:56 PM
whats ur max DL?

last max about a month ago was 370 so im guessing its 385 now, since i can pull 350 for a triple

tatortotajigalo
09-23-2007, 05:58 PM
last max about a month ago was 370 so im guessing its 385 now, since i can pull 350 for a triple

im hoping for 455 by January 1st.

Newbtime
09-23-2007, 05:59 PM
lower back? Arched. Upper back? Humpback whale. It works for me, as ive only missed 1 lift

do you have a weak lockout muscle wise or do you blast your deadlift up then out of no where slam into a brick wall and the bar moves no where?

PrivateBaldrick
09-23-2007, 08:05 PM
I always pinch my shoulder blades together. It helps keep my core rigid and I have a more powerful pull that way. I think that's what is meant by shrugging.

WSUSTRONGMAN
09-23-2007, 08:34 PM

my advice; dont do it.

Wise... very wise..

WSUSTRONGMAN
09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Rule #1 keep you upper back tight, back straight, deep breath... pull

Radok
09-24-2007, 01:55 AM

I'm hoping for a million by tomorrow.

Thaigga
09-24-2007, 10:43 AM
do you have a weak lockout muscle wise or do you blast your deadlift up then out of no where slam into a brick wall and the bar moves no where?

Yea kinda, I pull it off the floor so fast that gravity seems non existent, then it starts slowing down at knee level, stops at mid thigh, then i gotta grind it for a few seconds to lock it out.

I missed 385 right at knee level when i went for a 15lb PR -wasnt in the right mindset- I didnt have any speed on that lift at all. This was a while back tho so im pretty sure i have it in the bag now, when coupled with a good warm up, adrenaline, and a deep ass sniff of ammonia

Thaigga
09-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I always pinch my shoulder blades together. It helps keep my core rigid and I have a more powerful pull that way. I think that's what is meant by shrugging.
he meant literally shrugging your shoulders up as you lift

Rule #1 keep you upper back tight, back straight, deep breath... pull

upper back tight? Not for me. Back straight? Not completely lol

Lower back should be arched but you can sink your shoulders down and round your upper back. If you prefer to pull this way of course

Newbtime
09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Yea kinda, I pull it off the floor so fast that gravity seems non existent, then it starts slowing down at knee level, stops at mid thigh, then i gotta grind it for a few seconds to lock it out.

I missed 385 right at knee level when i went for a 15lb PR -wasnt in the right mindset- I didnt have any speed on that lift at all. This was a while back tho so im pretty sure i have it in the bag now, when coupled with a good warm up, adrenaline, and a deep ass sniff of ammonia

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4454253

Thaigga
09-24-2007, 01:14 PM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4454253

i dont round my lower back

Newbtime
09-24-2007, 01:52 PM
i dont round my lower back

doesn't really need to be lowerback rounding tbh, it can been bad rounding of anything.. do you hit a wall like the guy in the video?

phat_endo
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't hold the weight in a shrugged position, or intentionally shrug the bar. I have noticed before that when I lockout a deadlift, the bar still has momentum and I end up involuntarily shrugging the bar. Is this normal/safe?

Thaigga
09-25-2007, 08:12 AM

that alotta weight

Thaigga
09-25-2007, 08:18 AM
doesn't really need to be lowerback rounding tbh, it can been bad rounding of anything.. do you hit a wall like the guy in the video?

my youtube doesnt work so i cant watch the video. But i dont 'hit a wall' in the way most ppl think about. I dont lose my leverage for the lockout, i just lose speed near the end but i can usually grind it for a while and complete it. Ive never hitched, ive never tried and dont plan on trying lol

jmil
09-25-2007, 09:59 AM

my advice; dont do it.

Agreed...I tried pulling my shoulders back further last week, and it was MUCH harder to get the bar going off the floor.