05-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Hia,

Here is my chest routine:

1 Set Bench press (ALL 8 reps)
1 Set inclined bench press
1 set declined bench press
1 set pec dec
1 set dips

Every single excercise feels like it is working shoulders and tricpes. My chest never feels like its working. My shoulders feel like they are basically doing everything and my triceps helping slightly.

Should i swith to dumbells and use a close palms facing each other form?

Also could it be my form on all theser excercise producing this unwanted effect?

GottaMakeIt
05-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Hia,

1 set pec dec
1 set dips

Every single excercise feels like it is working shoulders and tricpes. My chest never feels like its working. My shoulders feel like they are basically doing everything and my triceps helping slightly.

Also could it be my form on all theser excercise producing this unwanted effect?

Pull your shoulder blades back , push ur chest out and then press.
and only 5 sets for chest?

lamby
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
do more sets first of all. second i heard if you retract your shoulder blades when you bench it targets your chest alot more. your grip mine be too narrow.

DRod
05-04-2005, 01:05 PM
as long as he does his warm ups then he doesn't really need more exercises...you can hit your chest great with just 3 sets....I know someone by the name of phil hernon who is a iffba pro and when he trains he advocates mainly 3 sets per muscle.....I think if you hit your chest with 3 hard sets with then your not gonna have much more strength 2 do many more exercises just my 2 pennies

glennjleest101
05-04-2005, 01:06 PM
chest is sometimes a hard muscle to target. You really have to get good at your muscle to mind connection. really try and feel it in your chest and pull your shoulders back a bit. It takes a while to do it well, but also imagine that you are pushing your body away from the weight with only your chest muscles. Another thing is periodically contract you chest muscles while rest and posing. This can also help with the muscle to mind connection. Its like when you can flex you biceps and quads without doing a pose, but with your chest. Maybe try the dumbells too, as they can help a bit as well.

RU4A69
05-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Hia,

1 set pec dec
1 set dips

1 set per exercise???

How about Dips x3 sets
Incline x 3
Decline x 2
Pec Dec x3

That's probably too many sets right there, but you get the idea. Doing bench at all 3 angles is fine but a little uneccesary to do all 3 in the same routine-you could do 2 or 1. I would do Pec dec as your first chest exercise (so you're not fatigued by the bigger compounds).

You should try pre-exhausting your shoulders and triceps with 3 sets of Military Presses-so you'll be forced to use your pecs more for the pressing movements.

Definately switch over to dumbells on the bench. Keep the barbell in there every once in a while so your muscles don't forget the movement (that's not much of a possibility anyway), and for close-grip benches.

Best wishes.........

just t
05-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Wow some great advice.
I think ill use dumbell more often. And ill try the shoulder blade thing. Also going to drop weight right down and see how i do

DRod
05-04-2005, 03:20 PM
1 set per exercise???

How about Dips x3 sets
Incline x 3
Decline x 2
Pec Dec x3

That's probably too many sets right there, but you get the idea. Doing bench at all 3 angles is fine but a little uneccesary to do all 3 in the same routine-you could do 2 or 1. I would do Pec dec as your first chest exercise (so you're not fatigued by the bigger compounds).

You should try pre-exhausting your shoulders and triceps with 3 sets of Military Presses-so you'll be forced to use your pecs more for the pressing movements.

Definately switch over to dumbells on the bench. Keep the barbell in there every once in a while so your muscles don't forget the movement (that's not much of a possibility anyway), and for close-grip benches.

Best wishes.........

I think incline is good but shoulders seem 2 get involved alot unless u do the movement correclty....I think flat is the bread and butter of chest or possibly leaning dips....but why do dips and decline?

I would do flat..incline then maybe pec

next week do incline or flat..then dips and maybe an isolation exercise

I"ve just been doing flat for 3 working sets and some weeks I'd add incline 2 working sets and my strenght has went up as well with my better devlepment...why not bust your ballz on one or 2 exercises and go home eat and recover instead of doig 12 plus sets and also hitting ya tris and shoulders...but everything works different for people

EctoHooligan
05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
I never feel my lats, yet they grow. I always feel my chest in flat bp, yet it never grew from that exercise.

The question to ask: is your chest growing? Answer that before considering changing your routine.