PDA

View Full Version : Getting a good workout without bars.

ibanezftw
09-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Hey there I have been going to the gym for about 2 and a half months now, and I am seeing alot of drastic increases in both strength and muscle, but now I want to take training to the next step and actually follow a real program routine (Instead of just doing random sets of 3 on most / every machine).

Now the rippetoe program looks promising, but I have problems with exercises that involve bars. The problems are.

1. Im at university, the gym is packed, there is always a long wait for any of the bar racks.
2. I prefeer the control you get from machines. (plus I dont have a spotter)

Now my gym has a squatting machine that basically is the exact same as having a bar (but on your back, exc) However this dosn't work for deadlifts.

My question is, has anyone here had success with a good intermediate program that does not include deadlifting? And what is it?

timeforsleeep
09-20-2007, 01:21 AM
you don't need any equipment for deadlifts. Just flat ground, weights, and the olympic bar. Are you talking about the Smith machine?

I'm almost certain every poster will tell you the only way to follow rippetoe's is down to the dot, with the big lifts and using the olympic bar.

Just putting that out there.

ibanezftw
09-20-2007, 01:25 AM
you don't need any equipment for deadlifts. Just flat ground, weights, and the olympic bar. Are you talking about the Smith machine?

I'm almost certain every poster will tell you the only way to follow rippetoe's is down to the dot, with the big lifts and using the olympic bar.

Just putting that out there.

Yeah but the gym is so packed that getting that bar, weights and especially the room, becomes very difficult. Im wondering if there is an alternitive?

ophidian
09-20-2007, 04:39 AM
There's no good alternative. If you can't do bar lifts, you would not be following the program correctly. The smith machine is also not an acceptable substitute for free form squats, bench presses, and whatever other lifts the program calls for (morning brain going on here). You can do it improperly if you like, but know that the gains will be inferior.

Regards,
Chris

classic37
09-20-2007, 06:22 AM
when I attended UC Davis, I had a similar problem because of a brand new recreation facility, it was always packed especially between 3pm-8pm.

have you considered changing your workouts to off peak hours at the gym. it's probably not as crowded early in the morning or during the noon time or even late at night. if you're schedule is flexible enough you should definitely gear your workouts when your gym isn't very full.

although i think machines are useful exercise tools, there is no substitute for free weights especially with the bench press, squat, deadlift, and press.

good luck with your situation

Stanco
09-20-2007, 06:29 AM
My only advice would be just to wait for your turn with the bars.

You might feel safer and easier using the machines but it's no where near as effective as the free weight bars.

Just wait your turn, you won't have to switch to too many exercises as a good effective program like rippetoes only focus' on the basic compound exercises.

Just be patient :)