PDA

View Full Version : How many sets and reps for strength training?

Napalmkills
03-31-2005, 06:26 AM
I have a workout planned out and all the exercises and stuff. But now I need to know how many sets and reps I need. I am training for strength, but i'd also like to add some mass. But strength before mass. I have about 2-3 exersise per muscle. and a 4 day split.

Thanks for the help.

Mammoth3
03-31-2005, 06:51 AM
I have a workout planned out and all the exercises and stuff. But now I need to know how many sets and reps I need. I am training for strength, but i'd also like to add some mass. But strength before mass. I have about 2-3 exersise per muscle. and a 4 day split.

Thanks for the help.

recently, what i've been doing is something like this

ex:

military seated DB Press

warmup with 50 pds each hand x 10 reps (get the blood flowing)
go really heavy and do 6 reps each hand with the 70 lbs
go even heavier and do 3 reps each hand with the 80's, than drop the weight, pick up your 50 lbs (warmup weight) and do 5-7 more reps.

upright rows (no need for a warmup because you already did)

110 lbs x 5-6 reps, than drop the weight, grab a 60-70 lbs barbell and do 5-7 more reps
115 lbs 3-4 reps, than drop the weight, grab a 60-70 lbs barbell and do 5-7 more reps.

etc etc.. u get the idea..
this works really well because you keep your strenght levels up, and you also do some more reps after to build some mass at the same time.

give it a shot

paul_cochrane
03-31-2005, 07:10 AM
yeah nampalmkills, i agree with mammoth. That is one way of doing it. However if you are just sarting out you could just stick with the one weight if you find it easier and do 3 sets of 6-8 reps. If you start to do the 8th rep to easy you should think about uping the weight. As i say tho mammoths way is also a good way of doing it but really it just comes down to preference. Anyway not to sure if your just starting out but congrats in getting and good program together and goodluck

Paul

Mammoth3
03-31-2005, 07:20 AM
yeah nampalmkills, i agree with mammoth. That is one way of doing it. However if you are just sarting out you could just stick with the one weight if you find it easier and do 3 sets of 6-8 reps. If you start to do the 8th rep to easy you should think about uping the weight. As i say tho mammoths way is also a good way of doing it but really it just comes down to preference. Anyway not to sure if your just starting out but congrats in getting and good program together and goodluck

Paul

good point. If you are just starting, dont really make it too complicated yet, because you are going to get gains really quick, from almost anything you do.. like paul said, pick a weight for 3 sets and aim to hit 6-8 reps, once u get the 8th rep on the 3rd set, up the weight.

once you have a couple months under your belt, try out my technique!

keep pumpin'!