PDA

View Full Version : Various issues with power cleans- Jumping backwards?

creb
09-04-2007, 04:16 AM
There seems to be quite a bit of variation right now with my form. Sometimes the weight jams under my rib cage on the way up, and other times it brushes under my pecs and bounces back down again??

I have trouble keeping the bar on my thigh because of my knees and this interrupts the pull but it's about an inch off.

With a reasonable weight my reps seem pretty smooth although when the weight gets heavy I often jump backwards or have to step back because I'm off balance.

Any suggestions?

raffiki
09-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Start here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4357923

It also sounds like you are pulling with your arms a lot. I haven't heard of any lifters hitting their torso.

Jumping back isn't a problem if you are consistant. Most coaches discourage this, but there have been many great lifters that did it.

creb
09-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I really try hard not to pull with my arms. Only when I'm trying to 'shut down vertical force' and pull my body under the bar. In a recent attempt to make totally sure I've been doing hang cleans and concentrating on straigtening up and shrugging hard before jumping. This seems to help me rack the bar well although I don't feel strong with this using high weight (for me).

Thanks for your advice!

rogan181
09-04-2007, 05:49 PM
jumping backwards is becasue when you pull you pull outwards to get it aroudn your knees, you should be pulling straight up and moving your knees out of the bars way...