PDA

View Full Version : Massive changes, need some advice/help

Kouper
08-30-2007, 10:09 PM
So, right now I weigh roughly 330lbs, Im 6'2 (the picture on my bodyspace is me at about 280, more then a year ago) Since I got married I stopped working out, and ate like... well, someone who weighs 330 lbs. Im roughly (according to some cheap calipers I bought) about 30% body fat. Recently, i have come to realise just how big I've gotten since almost nothing I own fits, I'm uncomfortable all the time, Ive gotten considerably weaker, and my stamina blows. So, I've decided I need to make some massive changes. I've started lifting again and implimenting small amounts of cardio into my routine.
My big question is about cardio and diet. What kind of cardio is best? Should I start doing distance running? Or should I go to High intesity intervals like sprints and stuff?
Also, diet, lately what I've been doing is a protien shake before school (Im at school from 7-1030 am.) and then after school I hit the gym, then I have me 2-3 egg whites and one whole egg, and some whole grain oatmeal. I'm trying to find something for lunch and my wife usually makes dinner, generally something with chicken/veggies and whole grains. Just tryin to come up with other meals I can do that are healthy, and within my goals

Cliffs.
-Im fat
-wanna stop being fat
-working out now
-What is the best cardio for weightloss, high intensity or long and slow?
-what are some good cheap healthy meals for middle of the day for me?

emchowdhury
08-30-2007, 10:28 PM
My big question is about cardio and diet. What kind of cardio is best? Should I start doing distance running? Or should I go to High intesity intervals like sprints and stuff?
Also, diet, lately what I've been doing is a protien shake before school (Im at school from 7-1030 am.) and then after school I hit the gym, then I have me 2-3 egg whites and one whole egg, and some whole grain oatmeal. I'm trying to find something for lunch and my wife usually makes dinner, generally something with chicken/veggies and whole grains. Just tryin to come up with other meals I can do that are healthy, and within my goals

Welcome to bodybuilding. First of all, your diet is the most important thing. Since your weigh 330 pounds I think you need between 300-400 grams of protein a day. At that kind of weight, any kind of Cardio will work. HIIT is very good but try experiencing both distance running and HIIT to see what's working for you. May be you can HIIT for 20 minutes then you can do other cardios. Also try to lift weights.

Kouper
08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome to bodybuilding. First of all, your diet is the most important thing. Since your weigh 330 pounds I think you need between 300-400 grams of protein a day. At that kind of weight, any kind of Cardio will work. HIIT is very good but try experiencing both distance running and HIIT to see what's working for you. May be you can HIIT for 20 minutes then you can do other cardios. Also try to lift weights.

Im gettin back into lifting, and my strength is returning surprisingly fast. I used to run 5 or six miles a day as well as an hour of HIIT but I think Im just too damn lazy to get back into distance running atm, especially since i live across the street from a football field and track, both well marked for sprinting. :-) thats a ton of protien though...

emchowdhury
08-30-2007, 10:51 PM
) thats a ton of protien though...[/QUOTE]

Yeah you should calculate your protein intake. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

Kouper
08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
hes pretty dead on, it said 330 594 for bodybuilding...

RU4A69
08-31-2007, 08:33 AM
The best form of cardio for fat loss is farmer's walks

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/0410.html

and sled dragging

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=305&pid=8

Distance running is the worst thing you can do for fat loss/ physique building

I used to do it all the time back @ 180lbs and all it did was make my legs shrink

Down 9lbs w/ muscle GAIN doing strongman training. It's the only form of cardio that promotes hypertrophy and aids in strength.

RU4A69
08-31-2007, 08:35 AM

But he probably has no more muscle mass than a 190lb TRAINED individual

Kouper
08-31-2007, 09:01 AM
But he probably has no more muscle mass than a 190lb TRAINED individual

I promise im not that bloated, before I was married I was 270 and about 15% I havent lost a ton of my muscle mass, but I have lost some of it, Im at 30% now.