PDA

View Full Version : oly lifting problem

knuckleball714
08-18-2007, 03:05 PM
i really like oly lifting and have been doing it for a couple months but im not able to drop down into a deep squat without having my heels come up so ive just been doing the power varieties of the lifts with about a parellel squat most of the time higher
so i was wondering how i could improve flexibility in my achilles tendon, i think that i whats limiting my ROM

any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

crupiea
08-18-2007, 04:48 PM
I had the same problem and fixed it and my lifts all went up. First I watched this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

he talks about potato sack squats.

For about 3 weeks, everyday I would do some front squats. First I would do about 4-5 sets of potato sack squats to warm up the hips and legs. Then i would grab the bar and do a half dozen or so reps. Then then I would just sit in the down position with the bar for a 10-20 count to get comfortable with it. I would repeat this about 4 times. Do this everyday for the first week.

The second week i started adding weight to the bar, about 20 lbs or so. Not too much. This isnt a macho contest, it's training to eventually correct a problem. The next week i would ad 20 or so more. I did this for a couple of weeks until I really started getting comfortable in the down position.

Now I have created some muscle memory and when I hit my cleans, I am no longer scared to squat all the way and I can get to work on increasing the weights. i really don't like doing power cleans at all. I do them as part of my training but I prefer full cleans now. I did the same technique for my overhead squat to improve my snatch. I am doing that now.

I also now squat ATG where as I never did before. I hope this helps.