PDA

View Full Version : Squat problems

wiggles
02-04-2005, 11:45 PM
These damn things really hurt my shoulders. My right one more so because I recently injured it, but the left one's fine and it's uncomfortable with the exercise as well. The problem isn't about where the weight sits (I put it on my upper back, not shoulders, as suggested here), but in my actual shoulder joint from reaching back to holding it. Could I get away with leg presses instead, or should I really try to make squats work? Thanks for the help.

$AJ
02-04-2005, 11:46 PM
if you're certain it's not how the bar is sitting, to me it sounds like a lack of shoulder flexibility. not much to do other than to practice it more and more to try to build some flexibility, and/or try different grip widths that may be more comfortable (i.e., narrower, wider, etc..)

btw, is the bar like this - http://t-nation.com/assets/images/120boxbtm.jpg

if not, it's too high :D

BodySculpting
02-04-2005, 11:48 PM
These damn things really hurt my shoulders. My right one more so because I recently injured it, but the left one's fine and it's uncomfortable with the exercise as well. The problem isn't about where the weight sits (I put it on my upper back, not shoulders, as suggested here), but in my actual shoulder joint from reaching back to holding it. Could I get away with leg presses instead, or should I really try to make squats work? Thanks for the help.

It sounds like you might have some joint problems in your shoulders. Do you experience any pain or discomfort when working shoulders or any other excercise that stimulates the shoulder?

If not, it might be your form.

wiggles
02-04-2005, 11:55 PM
It sounds like you might have some joint problems in your shoulders. Do you experience any pain or discomfort when working shoulders or any other excercise that stimulates the shoulder?

If not, it might be your form.

I've always had problems training my shoulders and they've tended to be underdeveloped. Any kind of press gives me pain in my lower trap fibers, so that hasn't left much room for anything else. But I think that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I'm am keeping the bar low enough. In fact, that's kindof the problem. The lower the bar, the more stress it puts on my shoulders.

$AJ
02-04-2005, 11:57 PM
i don't think it's a problem of them being under-developed; i'm 98% certain it's lack of flexibility in the shoulder girdle.

BodySculpting
02-05-2005, 12:03 AM
I've always had problems training my shoulders and they've tended to be underdeveloped. Any kind of press gives me pain in my lower trap fibers, so that hasn't left much room for anything else. But I think that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I'm am keeping the bar low enough. In fact, that's kindof the problem. The lower the bar, the more stress it puts on my shoulders.

It really does seem like you might have some shoulder joint problems. Have you ever had it checked out? You should. I would agree with $AJ about it being a flexibility problem, but you said any kind of press gives you pain.

SDFlip
02-05-2005, 12:04 AM
if its shoulder flexibility, try front squats and zercher squats....better than leg presses

wiggles
02-05-2005, 12:10 AM
I've tried front sqauts, but seriously, how can anyone load more then 135 on to their delts like that? I've actually got a doctor's appointment in a couple weeks. I'll bring up the flexibility thing and see what he says.

wiggles
02-05-2005, 12:11 AM
but you said any kind of press gives you pain.

Any kind of shoulder press, that is. Bench (even at sharp incline) is fine.

BodySculpting
02-05-2005, 12:16 AM
hmm...that's weird seeing as the Incline Bench incorporates your shoulders to a considerable degree.

$AJ
02-05-2005, 12:18 AM
hmm...that's weird seeing as the Incline Bench incorporates your shoulders to a considerable degree.

agreed. maybe it's a pinched nerve or something that only affects it at certain angles; honestly, i don't really know

wiggles
02-05-2005, 12:19 AM

Yea, but really only the front delt. I think they problem for me is in the rear or upper.

SDFlip
02-05-2005, 12:21 AM
I've tried front sqauts, but seriously, how can anyone load more then 135 on to their delts like that? I've actually got a doctor's appointment in a couple weeks. I'll bring up the flexibility thing and see what he says.

i dont have a problem with more than 135.... you get used to it

marcFE
02-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by wiggles

i dont have a problem with more than 135.... you get used to it

Try using a clean grip instead of the criss-cross grip, I can't even hold 80 lbs criss-cross but can hold my max easily with clean grip (have flexible wrists though so ..)

$AJ
02-05-2005, 11:15 AM

front squatting takes time to adjust to it; if you just loaded up 13 and started without ever having done them before, that was a mistake.start lighter.

daninthemix
02-05-2005, 11:53 AM
front squatting takes time to adjust to it; if you just loaded up 13 and started without ever having done them before, that was a mistake.start lighter.

or use the stingray. Tesuo told me about this and now I've got one front squatting is a lot more comfortable.

Danton1759
02-05-2005, 11:55 AM

The same thing used to happen to me in the beggining. Got tired of it and purchased a Cambered Bar. Problem Solved. Not only that but now I can also deadlift easier and use the Cambered bar for other exercises such as lying row and shrugs as well. It is a simple $50 solution (look for a used one). I bought mine from the "sporting goods" section in CraigList.org