PDA

View Full Version : Multivitamin test

digerati
01-25-2005, 08:57 AM
I was reading in Men Health and they had an article called Soak em in Vinager.
It was how to test your own multivitamin.
THey simple said to drop your pill in some vinager and if it did not break down in 30 minutes then you should go shop for another brand cause if it did not break down in 20 to 30 mins, then it would pass up the first part of the small intestine where more of the nutrients are absorbed.

I did a One Source that can be gotten at walmart. It broke down in 30 minutes but wasnt totally musshy. I kind wonder what "breakdown" means to Mens Health.

Lets conduct our own pole. Im sure out of all the people here we can get a diverse allotment of pills.

Each can post their findings, and try to describe or take a picture of how well the pill dissolved in vinager.

One Source Multivitamin
30 mins vinager
outer coating gone and wasnt crunchy, easy mashed with a fork.

gut23
01-25-2005, 09:08 AM
I said this already in the main multi thread but here it is again:

"Vinegar is not considered a proper testing fluid, it is not the correct acidity. In the USP test, a product is agitated for a period of up to 45 minutes in an acidic solution. you would need to heat this acidic solution to 98.6 degrees and mix for 30-45 minutes to mimic the human body's temperature and movement. Also, these tests may not work with time released products like tabelts, because they are meant to dissolve over time throughout the entire digestive tract, instead of in a short burst. Absorbtion of vitamins and minerals does not only occur in the stomach, but lower down in the intestines as well and all the way down to the rectum. scientists usually suggest a time relased multi-vitamin so that you are not stuck with full absorption int he stomach, it may be an overload, since viamtinas and minerals from food sources are not fully absorbed in the stomach either. So, in short, go with something time relased."