PDA

View Full Version : I'm a weak bencher. Why?

Trelaboon
08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
I don't understand why i'm so bad at benching, I weigh 165lb and 11% BF and have been working out around 8 months, I think I do exceptionally well with other exercises, I can do alot of pullups, and can add a 25lb weight to my belt and still pull in a few sets of 10-15 if I want...Basically all of my other exercises are really great for my size, i'm impressed with what I can do, but when it comes to benching, I can barely bench my body weight....Could I be doing something wrong? or just not training it hard enough?

MesoPeaks
08-03-2007, 07:32 AM
height?

and your previous bench press weight..

napoleon_b
08-03-2007, 07:36 AM
it can genetics man!

and if you want a bigger bench you should work your shoulder, triceps and chest hard!

psychowolverine
08-03-2007, 07:40 AM
what does your chest and tricep workouts look like?

How much shoulder pressing do you do?

MesoPeaks
08-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Do you eat enough foods? what's your diet like? your goals etc..

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
i'm a crap bencher also..my arms are really long and i'm tall..not the optimal bencher build..hell not optimal for alot of weight movements..just go out with the goal of stimulating the muscle and not putting big numbers up..that's what I do..

Firepower
08-03-2007, 08:07 AM
have you tried switching to db's?

MesoPeaks
08-03-2007, 08:09 AM
lol i think he don't mind answering our questions..maybe he is busy,idk..

brenderson
08-03-2007, 08:12 AM
have you tried switching to db's?
i know some tall guys that have had better luck with DB's.. try doing them for awhile then switching back to bench to try it again

a few guys at my gym say it's best to only come down to 90 degrees (or a bit lower) at the elbows when doing bench press... you can definitely do more weight that way, but what about results? what do you guys think?

Firepower
08-03-2007, 08:14 AM
i know some tall guys that have had better luck with DB's.. try doing them for awhile then switching back to bench to try it again

a few guys at my gym say it's best to only come down to 90 degrees (or a bit lower) at the elbows when doing bench press... you can definitely do more weight that way, but what about results? what do you guys think?

i always use a full ROM..that's just my preference...

brenderson
08-03-2007, 08:19 AM
i usually bring the bar down 2-3 inches from my chest, but i'm thinking about decreasing weight and going all the way...
it will make me sad to move down from 2 plates to 205 or 215lbs... just doesnt look as cool hahah

GoJu
08-03-2007, 08:33 AM
i'm a crap bencher also..my arms are really long and i'm tall..not the optimal bencher build..hell not optimal for alot of weight movements..just go out with the goal of stimulating the muscle and not putting big numbers up..that's what I do..

boo!

anywho, to the OP, answering the questions psychowolverine asked would help.

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 08:40 AM
boo!

anywho, to the OP, answering the questions psychowolverine asked would help.

lol so..I should go out and lift way more than I should be (ego lift) and sacrifice form? sounds like great advice..

brenderson
08-03-2007, 08:43 AM
lol so..I should go out and lift way more than I should be (ego lift) and sacrifice form? sounds like great advice..
there's only one way to get bigger, and thats to bump.. use a spotter and if you need a little help on your last couple reps, so be it. staying in your "comfort zone" won't help your progress.

Starz
08-03-2007, 08:44 AM
dude you didnt tell us anything about what you're doing for your chest, or tris, or shoulders. give us your workout details along with what weights you're using, and what you started with. also, be sure to include your name, social security number, and your address.

MesoPeaks
08-03-2007, 08:45 AM
dude you didnt tell us anything about what you're doing for your chest, or tris, or shoulders. give us your workout details along with what weights you're using, and what you started with. also, be sure to include your name, social security number, and your address.

hahahahahahahahaha :D

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 08:47 AM
there's only one way to get bigger, and thats to bump.. use a spotter and if you need a little help on your last couple reps, so be it. staying in your "comfort zone" won't help your progress.

trust me..I lift hard and always push..I never said anything about a comfort zone..what I said was stimulate the muscle..aka..lift smarter not harder..using better form and making sure you work the muscle will get you farther than putting up big weight without doing it properly..

brenderson
08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
trust me..I lift hard and always push..I never said anything about a comfort zone..what I said was stimulate the muscle..aka..lift smarter not harder..using better form and making sure you work the muscle will get you farther than putting up big weight without doing it properly..
yeah you're right of course, but i just meant you don't have to do every rep perfectly if you're trying to bump, use a little help on your last couple and try again next week.. that's worked best for me

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
yeah you're right of course, but i just meant you don't have to do every rep perfectly if you're trying to bump, use a little help on your last couple and try again next week.. that's worked best for me

agreed..I am usually without a spotter though so I tend to do supersets with DB's..or drop to a lower weight to exhaust..

but again i'll never be a 300 lb bencher and i'm at peace with that..

GoJu
08-03-2007, 09:19 AM

so trying to progress and getting to the point that you're lifting heavy, ie 300+lbs means you're going to lifting wrong? very smart.

:rolleyes:

oh and another thing, bodybuilding is ego lifting.

Selode5
08-03-2007, 09:21 AM
i gave up on the benchpress and moved to dumbells

IMO it targets the chest a lot better, better pump/soreness/etc

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
so trying to progress and getting to the point that you're lifting heavy, ie 300+lbs means you're going to lifting wrong? very smart.

whatever..you totally misread everything I typed and molded it into something you could argue with..find someone else..i'm too old for it..

bb is not ego lifting..

GoJu
08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
whatever..you totally misread everything I typed and molded it into something you could argue with..find someone else..i'm too old for it..

bb is not ego lifting..

not everyone is content to say they're 'at peace' that they can't be strong, **** if I had that mentality I wouldn't have the small strength I do have now.

bb is the most ego-centrict sport on the planet.

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 09:37 AM
not everyone is content to say they're 'at peace' that they can't be strong, **** if I had that mentality I wouldn't have the small strength I do have now.

bb is the most ego-centrict sport on the planet.

well it's not for me..i'm gaining weight and strength the way I work out, so why change? trust me when you're tall you just cannot lift as much as someone that is short..it just doesn't work..

just because I can't bench 300 lbs doesn't mean i'm not strong where and when it counts..

GoJu
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
well it's not for me..i'm gaining weight and strength the way I work out, so why change? trust me when you're tall you just cannot lift as much as someone that is short..it just doesn't work..

just because I can't bench 300 lbs doesn't mean i'm not strong where and when it counts..

I'm not telling you to change, I'm saying trying to tell you that to progress in strength doesn't mean you're going to do the lift wrong, I will only call a lift a PR if it is done right with good form.

Pounderr
08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not telling you to change, I'm saying trying to tell you that to progress in strength doesn't mean you're going to do the lift wrong, I will only call a lift a PR if it is done right with good form.

I wasn't saying you're going to lift it wrong..if you can lift that much weight properly then all the power to you..what I said was that I wasn't going to push myself to injury just to put up a number..a bunch of youtube videos come to mind..

de_barathrum
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM

no

bb is not ego lifting..

yes

bodybuilding is probably the most egocentric sport out there, but is it ego lifting? no. its not about how much weight you are putting up, its about good the weight you are putting up makes you look.

vinnie85
08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
as stated before.. your bench has alot of factors that go into it but one of the main things is form and stabilizers. you could have a gigantic chest but if you have weak stabilizer muscles you won't be able to push up weight.

i've found the best way to work those stabilizers are db presses. it really helps out. before i could rep 185 but when it came to db's i could do 60 max for the month i've switched to DB flat bench instead of BB and i've jumped to 80 max so this is definitely something i'd look into... gl

SandManTFC
08-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I could only manage 60kg all through my cut(5months), 3 weeks in to my clean bulk and I'm repping 85kg and luving it, my aim is to be repping 100kg by xmas.
I believe the right foods give the right strength. All through my cut my strength was up on everything else except bench.

-Lucifer
08-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey I'm a weak bencher too.

RU4A69
08-03-2007, 04:20 PM

What's Andy Bolton.........like 6'3"?

-Lucifer
08-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Ok, here goes that debate again.

Shorter people tend to lift more because of short leverage but taller people have longer muscles (stronger muscles).

Uriel_da_man
08-03-2007, 04:28 PM
It's one thing to progress because your muscles have gotten stronger. It's something entirely different to up the weights by altering the mechanics of the exercise. That's not progression at all, as a matter of fact that's the very definition of cheating.

But I guess I'm just opening a can of worms with this so good night ya'll...

EDIT: And the whole "boo woo I'm tall so I can't lift much because of my long limbs" is pure bull****, I can't recall a single guy from the World's Strongest Men who isn't above 6 feet.

parkerbro1
08-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't understand why i'm so bad at benching, I weigh 165lb and 11% BF and have been working out around 8 months, I think I do exceptionally well with other exercises, I can do alot of pullups, and can add a 25lb weight to my belt and still pull in a few sets of 10-15 if I want...Basically all of my other exercises are really great for my size, i'm impressed with what I can do, but when it comes to benching, I can barely bench my body weight....Could I be doing something wrong? or just not training it hard enough?

Rotator cuff? I read an article on here from Charles Poliquin about rotator strength and big lifts. I had a client try out the routines he suggested and there's been noticeable improvement/gains.

Dazzz
08-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I hit a wall with my bench press a while back and started working my rotator cup. It made all the difference!

GoJu
08-03-2007, 05:24 PM
It's one thing to progress because your muscles have gotten stronger. It's something entirely different to up the weights by altering the mechanics of the exercise. That's not progression at all, as a matter of fact that's the very definition of cheating.

But I guess I'm just opening a can of worms with this

you're damn right, you can kiss my ass with the whole chaning mechanics of the lift, my form looks more like a bodybuilders than a powerlifters on the bench, I only call lifts PR's that are strict with good form.

then again a pler doing a different style of bench is by no means cheating, it's allowed in competition, they can lift more weight and get bigger totals that way so why not?

de_barathrum
08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Rotator cuff? I read an article on here from Charles Poliquin about rotator strength and big lifts. I had a client try out the routines he suggested and there's been noticeable improvement/gains.

ummm... you do know that... poliquin is a sorcerer right?

Uriel_da_man
08-04-2007, 01:43 AM
then again a pler doing a different style of bench is by no means cheating, it's allowed in competition, they can lift more weight and get bigger totals that way so why not?
It's not cheating if you consider it what it is - a power bench.

Technically a push press is not cheating because that's how you do the exercise. But doing a push press and calling it a military press is cheating. Get the picture?

dano20
08-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Don't worry about it. Just worry about stimulating those chest muscles as much as possible. At the end of the end day I may bench more, but your effort and perseverance will make you look ten times better. Yes with more weight you will stimulate the muscles better and all that jazz, but I think you know what I am saying. Good Luck.

blindside
08-04-2007, 02:46 AM
How much you bench isn't nearly as important as how well you feel it in your chest. Every once and awhile I'll re-evaluate how well my bench form is. I'll start adding weight too quickly and using more delts, tris, etc, so when that starts I purposely drop weight and try to isolate my pecs as much as possible.

You might also need to strengthen your "supporting" muscles used in bench. (Tris, delts)

If you have weak shoulders you should be overhead pressing like a mad-man. If your TRIs are weak, familiarize yourself with CGBP, Pressdowns, Skullcrushers, Overhead DB extensions...

redbullzeye
08-04-2007, 07:30 AM
It's generally due to weak triceps and shoulders, try to pay more attention on your triceps and isolate ur triceps and chest workout. It will defenitely work.

parkerbro1
08-07-2007, 07:58 PM
ummm... you do know that... poliquin is a sorcerer right?

LOL. Sure seems that way.

user23960508710788
08-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Well everybody has a weakness

Im a very weak bencher too (not that i even bench anymore), I honestly struggle doing 225 for reps

In comparison I dip 135lbs plus my bodyweight (about 185)

pitty
08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
I would have thought that barbell bench would be much greater than the combined weight of the dumbbells, however, I can do about 165lb for reps with the barbell and 77lb dumbbells for reps also, so there is only roughly a 10lb differential.

I guess it's an individual thing, but if your stuck low on the barbell it can't hurt to mix it up with some dumbbelling for a while. This should theoretically help strengthen the stabilisers yeah? I'm far from knowledgeable on this, but understand this to be the case.