PDA

View Full Version : Getsum's Journal

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Big_Sky_Guy
12-08-2011, 11:16 AM
PR after PR in a workout must have some feelsguud!

Getsum
12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Popping in to say hai! Progress has been truly amazing over the past year! Way to go :)

Thanks and Hi Beth! :)

I'm pleased with my progress overall but I did let my bulk get a little out of control and wish I would have stayed closer to 200# in body weight. It's no biggie though, it'll come back off shortly, like next month.

PR after PR in a workout must have some feelsguud!

Thanks man, it really does. I'm very pleased with the deadz, not fully satisfied with the squats and frustrated with my bench. I'm also thinking about attempting a shoulder press PR to see where I'm at but that's really iffy, I don't want to do anything to aggravate my shoulder because it's been feeling great. I might go with like a 3 rep max attempt or something liking seeing how many reps I can get with 175#. I have some plans for those bench attempts as well.

This is probably going to sound a bit noobish but one thing that has really helped me with both my deadz and squats is taking a deep breath and filling my diaphragm before the lift and I'm not doing this on my bench singles but I plan to start on Sunday. I've been reading a few articles as well and I'm going to decrease the amount of sets I do leading up to it.

Getsum
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I did some benching to test out the utility bench I own in order to see how it’ll hold up for a max attempt and it did fine. The bench is lower to the ground so I don’t need plates under my feet and I’m able to get my head/chest under the bar a bit easier. The safety bars don’t seem to bother me as much either. Anyway, here’s a vid of what I’m talking about and I want to get used to benching in this, so I’m going for a regular rep workout Sunday and then hopefully another max attempt on the 18th. I really want to get a deload in before the New Year hits so that will most likely be the last attempt of this year.

Anyway, I just did some rep work on my squats tonight and focused on depth.

12-8-11 210x10, nothing fancy
JS_FzD3p6h8

Mixed
Flat Bench- 135x5, 205x3, 255x1, 275x1, 210x10
Squats- Barx5, 135x3, 135x3, 225x3, 225x3, 275x3, 275x3, 295x2
Calf Raises- 225x10, 225x10
RDL- 200x5, 200x5

Cardio – 30 minutes on the recumbent bike

Diet totals for 12-8-11: 2967 total, 371g P, 173g C, 80g F

Big_Sky_Guy
12-08-2011, 10:23 PM
The valsava definitely helps tighten the core. Belting up for max effort work gives that extra to push against and stabilize the core even more.

You got a good plan going!

ChocoChick
12-09-2011, 06:06 AM
Anyway, I just did some rep work on my squats tonight and focused on depth.

12-8-11 210x10, nothing fancy

I know lots of people who'd like to achieve your "nothing fancy." :cool:

Bo_Flecks
12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Flat Bench- 135x5, 205x3, 255x1, 275x1, 210x10

Are you gearing up for the O35 bodyweight bench competition? :)

Getsum
12-09-2011, 09:41 AM
The valsava definitely helps tighten the core. Belting up for max effort work gives that extra to push against and stabilize the core even more.

You got a good plan going!

Thanks BSG. I had to look up Valsava.

I know lots of people who'd like to achieve your "nothing fancy." :cool:

Thanks CC. Yeah, I'm thinking I should be able to get around 13 or 14 reps at 210 and then 16 or 17 when I get back down to 185 next year.

Are you gearing up for the O35 bodyweight bench competition? :)

lol, yes sir! :D

Getsum
12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Have you ever had something that just bothers you so much that it’s always on your mind, you just can’t shake it, it’s there when you go to bed and still there when you wake up? That’s how I’ve been feeling about my bench, it just really bugs me and I couldn’t get off my mind on the way home from work today. I know I just benched yesterday and benching two days in a row isn’t really the greatest of ideas but I honestly need to get this done.

Then on my first attempt I bring the bar down to about an inch off my chest and press it up. If I wasn’t pissed off before, I was definitely pissed off now. Really? Why didn’t I touch my chest? I really need to do this again? Anyway, I ended up pressing the 305 today twice and I’m so extremely grateful that I’ve made some progress on this before the year is over. Now I’m thinking about 310 and I’ll probably end up driving myself crazy over that! :(

12-9-11 305x1 didn't quite touch my chest
SrlZjEqFokU

12-9-11 305x1 new PR
cyTnZNvwkAo

12-9-11 310xfail
7amNLGP6A4c

Chest & Shoulders
Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 305x1 (didn’t touch my chest), 305x1 (new PR), 310xfail (I’m coming for you 310!)
Seated BB Shoulder Press- 120x10, 135x5, 135x5
Behind the Back Shrug- 135x10, 135x10
Standing Shrugs- 225x10, 225x10
Upright rows- 80x6, 80x6

Diet totals for 12-9-11: 2383 total, 262g P, 140g C, 81g F

Swann74
12-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Awesome Flint! Awesome! 310 by 2012? Go for it!!

alex2363
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I am so glad you have that spotter protector bar...310 aint got nothing on you, I think it is matter of time.

Getsum
12-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Awesome Flint! Awesome! 310 by 2012? Go for it!!

Thanks John!

I'm going to give it my best shot, that's for sure!

I am so glad you have that spotter protector bar...310 aint got nothing on you, I think it is matter of time.

Thanks Alex!

Yeah, I wouldn't have tried it without a spotter (my son) or those safety bars. Believe me, I tested everything out with just the bar yesterday and again today because I don't want any injuries or worse. I also took your advice and moved up the safety bars for when I'm doing my shoulder presses as well, good catch on that one as well man.

My chest is actually sore now and that doesn't happen very often but benching two days in a row and fighting that 310 took a toll, hopefully I'm good to go on Sunday because that's my actual Bench Day. If not, I'll just do some rep work.

mharrislove
12-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I just saw the vid - awesome work on that PR, bro! Clearly, it was the easy listening music in the background that pushed it over the top.

Getsum
12-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I just saw the vid - awesome work on that PR, bro! Clearly, it was the easy listening music in the background that pushed it over the top.

Thanks MH!

The music is as important to my ritual as the wrist wraps and belt, a must have for sure! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used today as a rest day.

Diet totals for 12-10-11: 2793 total, 266g P, 155g C, 120g F

ironwill2008
12-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I ended up pressing the 305 today twice and Iím so extremely grateful that Iíve made some progress on this before the year is over. Now Iím thinking about 310 and Iíll probably end up driving myself crazy over that! :(

Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 305x1 (didnít touch my chest), 305x1 (new PR), 310xfail (Iím coming for you 310!)
Congrats on the PR!

Now you can start obsessing about 310! :)

Getsum
12-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Congrats on the PR!

Now you can start obsessing about 310! :)

Thanks Bill!

It's already begun! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I went for 310 and failed so I tried 307 and failed as well, it’s not happening today. After those two attempts everything felt heavy. I’m going to get some 1.25# Olympic plates the next time I’m at the mall. Small/steady increases in going to be the theme of next year.

Along that same line, I do a really bad job of increasing the weight on my assistance & isolation exercises and that’s something I really want to focus on next year. I added 2.5# to my triceps extensions and while that isn’t much of an increase, it can really add up over the course of a year.

12-11-11 210x15 (body weight reps)
jD1lPMNOWrY

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 310xfail, 307xfail, 255x1 (everything feels heavy now), 210x15
Dips- BWx15, BW+25x10, BW+25x10
Triceps Extension- 65x15, 67.5x10, 67.5x10

Core- Hanging Ab Raise x5 sets of 10 (these are really freaking hard)

Cardio – 45 minutes on the recumbent bike

Diet totals for 12-11-11: 2535 total, 208g P, 158g C, 113g F

ChocoChick
12-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Thanks MH!

The music is as important to my ritual as the wrist wraps and belt, a must have for sure! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used today as a rest day.

Diet totals for 12-10-11: 2793 total, 266g P, 155g C, 120g F

The right music is a must!

Rest days are important, too. Boring, but important.

Getsum
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
The right music is a must!

Rest days are important, too. Boring, but important.

Good Morning CC!

Rest is important and I can really tell when I need a day off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I weighed in at 210.2# this morning and that actually surprised me. I mean I’ve been counting my calories; surely I can’t be gaining weight. Well, so far this month I’ve eaten 27675/11 day averages out to 2515 calories per day which is pretty much my maintenance level. The insulin and diabetic medication isn’t helping either.

My sodium intake was off the chart yester, we had ham for dinner, so I’m sure I have some extra water weight as well. Anyway, my target calories should be at 2300 and I’m going to try to tighten things up a bit.

Swann74
12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Good Morning CC!

Rest is important and I can really tell when I need a day off.

I weighed in at 210.2# this morning and that actually surprised me. I mean I’ve been counting my calories; surely I can’t be gaining weight. Well, so far this month I’ve eaten 27675/11 day averages out to 2515 calories per day which is pretty much my maintenance level. The insulin and diabetic medication isn’t helping either.

My sodium intake was off the chart yester, we had ham for dinner, so I’m sure I have some extra water weight as well. Anyway, my target calories should be at 2300 and I’m going to try to tighten things up a bit.

FWIW, Sunday's tend to be a high sodium day for myself as well. Even though my "training week" begins on Monday, I've taken to weighing myself Sunday morning since I pretty much know going into it that I'll be having too much sodium and will retain some water for Monday...

ArchAngel'73
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Holee phuck monkees...someone is killin' all sortz of sh*t up in hee ur!
Sum bish, PR's on this and that... benching 2 days in a row... obsessive compulsive behaviors hot damn, Flint's journal is full of WIN! :)
Whatever you're on (:p), whatever you're doin'...keep it up bro!

Getsum
12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
FWIW, Sunday's tend to be a high sodium day for myself as well. Even though my "training week" begins on Monday, I've taken to weighing myself Sunday morning since I pretty much know going into it that I'll be having too much sodium and will retain some water for Monday...

Yeah, I normally try to weigh myself twice a week and in the morning. I'm not overly concerned with the scale right now and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to get down to. It's all part of the endless cycle. I'm happy with the gains and progress I've made so far and I don't think I would have gone up if I tried staying at 186ish. My plan for next year is to hang on to the strength gains for dear life while slowly cutting back down.

Holee phuck monkees...someone is killin' all sortz of sh*t up in hee ur!
Sum bish, PR's on this and that... benching 2 days in a row... obsessive compulsive behaviors hot damn, Flint's journal is full of WIN! :)
Whatever you're on (:p), whatever you're doin'...keep it up bro!

Thanks Brian! :D

It's been a very good year for me and I'm trying like hell to finish out strong but my number one goal for next year is to simply keep hitting as hard as I can, no layoffs!

Getsum
12-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I just did some cardio tonight and I almost did my deadz but had to stop myself. I really felt like doing them but I figured that a day off the weights would do me more good than trying for the deadz. Honestly, I don’t know which is right. We’ll see tomorrow.

Tightening up on the calories didn’t go so well today either but I’m hoping these extra calories help me out tomorrow.

Diet totals for 12-12-11: 2895 total, 230g P, 211g C, 136g F

alex2363
12-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Well your eating under 3500 and your pushing alot of iron, you shouldnt worry too much about wieght gain i think.

Getsum
12-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Well your eating under 3500 and your pushing alot of iron, you shouldnt worry too much about wieght gain i think.

Yeah, it's all good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well another PR but with straps again. My grip is doing fine up until the set at 365 and then it just starts slipping. Someone told me that corn starch would work until my chalk gets here so I’m going to grab some the next time I’m at the store. It’s really frustrating not being able to hold the weight. I’m going to start doing my shrugs without straps in the hopes of improving my grip strength.

12-13-11 405x1 Sumo but with straps
rDPVwczJ3AI

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)
Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 225x3, 295x3, 365x2, 405xfail (grip again), 405x1 (new PR but with straps), 415xfailed on 2 attempts
BOR- 80x20, 135x10, 135x10, 80x15
EZ Bar curls- 80x10, 80x10
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 30x10, 30x10
Wrist curls (per arm)- 30x20, 30x20

Diet totals for 12-13-11: 2236 total, 212g P, 164g C, 69g F

GirLInterrupted
12-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Have you ever had something that just bothers you so much that itís always on your mind, you just canít shake it, itís there when you go to bed and still there when you wake up? Thatís how Iíve been feeling about my bench, it just really bugs me and I couldnít get off my mind on the way home from work today. I know I just benched yesterday and benching two days in a row isnít really the greatest of ideas but I honestly need to get this done.

Then on my first attempt I bring the bar down to about an inch off my chest and press it up. If I wasnít pissed off before, I was definitely pissed off now. Really? Why didnít I touch my chest? I really need to do this again? Anyway, I ended up pressing the 305 today twice and Iím so extremely grateful that Iíve made some progress on this before the year is over. Now Iím thinking about 310 and Iíll probably end up driving myself crazy over that! :(

Yes! And I end up having funky dreams about it, like last night!!! It's a good thing though, you are not going to let it go and you are not going to give up. Now go touch your chest with 305! You got this :)

Bo_Flecks
12-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Tightening up on the calories didn’t go so well today either but I’m hoping these extra calories help me out tomorrow.

Holiday eating, FTW!

Swann74
12-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Someone told me that corn starch would work until my chalk gets here so I’m going to grab some the next time I’m at the store.

I hadn't heard this before. Thanks for sharing it... I'm going to have to try it myself!

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)
Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 225x3, 295x3, 365x2, 405xfail (grip again), 405x1 (new PR but with straps), 415xfailed on 2 attempts

Straps or not, I'd call this some good training. Congrats on the Strapped PR!

Getsum
12-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Yes! And I end up having funky dreams about it, like last night!!! It's a good thing though, you are not going to let it go and you are not going to give up. Now go touch your chest with 305! You got this :)

Good Morning Beth and thanks.

I'm thinking I might be able to get 307 or 310 before the year is out, we'll see.

Holiday eating, FTW!

Yeah, I'm serving two masters. Trying to cut this month isn't practical but I am glad I'm counting my calories again. Things will be different next month.

I hadn't heard this before. Thanks for sharing it... I'm going to have to try it myself!

Straps or not, I'd call this some good training. Congrats on the Strapped PR!

I was told to wait for the chalk, getting corn starch all over your equipment is a bad idea and baby powder is talc and chalk is calcium. Someone mentioned crushing up some school chalk can work in a pinch. My best lift without the straps is 385 and it was cold and raining yesterday. Lots of condensation on the bar and that didn't help. I know I'm strong enough to lift the weight so it's just a matter of grip now. Anyway, I'm in the deadlift comp and I just want to post some personal progress before the year is up.

Back in March I had a PR of 360 and now it's up to 405, I'm very happy with my progress this year. Anyway, I'm already thinking about my squats on Thursday and I'm going to start with box squats and go up from there.

Getsum
12-14-2011, 08:16 PM
More attempts, more fails. I am close on this, fighting the damn thing about half way up and it just stops. My attitude isn’t right though, I didn’t have that mindset like I did last night on the deadz or when I did the 305 on bench. It’s either there or it’s not. I might try again Friday, depends on how I’m feeling and I’m thinking of focusing more on 307, smaller increments might be the way to go.

Chest/Triceps
Pushups- BWx10- warm-up for my shoulder
Dips- BWx5- warm-up for my shoulder
Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 310xfailed on 2 attempts

Diet totals for 12-14-11: 2430 total, 232g P, 187g C, 80g F

orca
12-15-2011, 06:16 PM
You're really pushing and pulling some big weight. Much props to you on the PR's

One thing that helped me dramatically increase my bench was doing heavy azz db rows. I shot up from about where you're at to 350 in no time but it does take time.

It's kind of hard to tell from your video but your set up looks pretty good but your arms are flared as you comedown and you were pretty wobbly on your failed attempts.

I also find it impossible for me to PR without a spotter for 2 reasons 1) pulling the bar off the racks get me out of a good tight setup position that I want be in because I have to reach backwards and lift the weight 2) extra effort to pickup and pull the weight forward. I think with a spotter and a lift you would have crushed ND probably 315.

One of these days I'll be healed up and hopefully be back up pushing what you are. Excellent work.

Getsum
12-15-2011, 07:41 PM
You're really pushing and pulling some big weight. Much props to you on the PR's

One thing that helped me dramatically increase my bench was doing heavy azz db rows. I shot up from about where you're at to 350 in no time but it does take time.

It's kind of hard to tell from your video but your set up looks pretty good but your arms are flared as you comedown and you were pretty wobbly on your failed attempts.

I also find it impossible for me to PR without a spotter for 2 reasons 1) pulling the bar off the racks get me out of a good tight setup position that I want be in because I have to reach backwards and lift the weight 2) extra effort to pickup and pull the weight forward. I think with a spotter and a lift you would have crushed ND probably 315.

One of these days I'll be healed up and hopefully be back up pushing what you are. Excellent work.

Thanks Kevin.

One of my goals for next year is to get my rows up to speed. I see a lot of people doing some really heavy rows and it's on the exercises I lag on. I'll throw in some DB rows, been thinking about that anyway. I hope you heal up good and fast man, it frustrating to be injured. Probably see about getting my son over for a spot on Sunday as well.

Anyway, I really appreciate the critique and advice man, I really need the help. About the only bad part of working out at home is you don't get any feedback on what you're doing wrong and how to improve. These videos have really made a difference for me this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a decent job on squats today and I’m really stinking tired now. I still don’t think these are at parallel but I do think they’re close. I don’t know.

12-15-11 345x1 box squat
Eftyhhdu9u0

12-15-11 370x1 1st attempt
GHWSYY59XsI

12-15-11 370x1 2nd attempt
C7AL3aaUsxU

12-15-11 375xfail
agD99puAIrc

Squats/Legs
Box Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 135x5, 225x3, 225x3, 275x3, 295x3, 315x1, 345x1 (New PR)
Squats- 355x1, 365x1, 370x1 (New PR), 370x1 (New PR), 375xfail
Calf Raises- 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
RDL- 200x5, 200x5

Diet totals for 12-15-11: 2605 total, 253g P, 181g C, 96g F

Swann74
12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Congrats on the New PR!! Tough to tell in those shorts, but I'd say that you did hit parallel. Kudos.

alex2363
12-15-2011, 08:39 PM
congrats on new pr....dont worryabout the 375 fail, its coming this year or next year:)

ChocoChick
12-16-2011, 05:27 AM
Back in March I had a PR of 360 and now it's up to 405,

That's huge! Don't lose sight of this. ;)

Bronzebird
12-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Impressive Vids and PR's! Nice Holiday work ;)

ironwill2008
12-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Good effort in thr rack, G. Keep it moving forward.

Getsum
12-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Congrats on the New PR!! Tough to tell in those shorts, but I'd say that you did hit parallel. Kudos.

Thanks John. It's something that I'll continue to work on.

congrats on new pr....dont worryabout the 375 fail, its coming this year or next year:)

Thanks Alex. I thought I almost had last night. My quads are crazy sore today.

That's huge! Don't lose sight of this. ;)

Thanks CC. I'm not, this was a great year and I'm expecting 2012 to be even better.

Impressive Vids and PR's! Nice Holiday work ;)

Thanks Marty.

Good effort in thr rack, G. Keep it moving forward.

Thanks Bill.

--------------------------------------------------------

My plan next week is to do a regular squat workout focusing on creating a "faster eccentric phase" and also continuing to work on my depth (exploding out of the hole). That should give me one last attempt at the 375 on the 29th but I'm really considering a deload as well because this has been a crazy couple of weeks.

My goal for this month was to establish a baseline for next year and I think I've already accomplished that. My bench is at 305, squat at 370 and deadlift at 405 for a total of 1080. That gives me plenty to work and improve on.

Posting these here so I can find them next week:

Ue_GrU4mhqc

t156u5VuBTw

Getsum
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Really busy day today, I did a fast shoulder workout after work and then some cardio later in the evening.

Shoulders
Upright rows- 80x6, 80x6

Diet totals for 12-16-11: 2649 total, 233g P, 228g C, 89g F

Bo_Flecks
12-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Really busy day today, I did a fast shoulder workout after work and then some cardio later in the evening.

Good job gettin' it in!

Getsum
12-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Good job gettin' it in!

Thanks Steve.

Yesterday was a rest day and I went to a Christmas party in the evening so I’m not really sure what my calories were. I’d guess at somewhere between 3500 to 4000 calories and I definitely hit my protein total between the prime rib, shrimp and crab legs.

I did a regular chest workout today with lighter weight, no max attempts. I might try for something on Wednesday or Friday depending on how I feel.

Chargers won tonight, Denver and Oakland lost, so they still have a small chance to salvage their season.

Chest/Triceps
Dips- BWx10- warm-up for my shoulder
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5, 205x5, 185x5, 135x10
Dips- BWx10, BW+25x10, BW+25x10
Triceps Extension- 65x15, 65x15, 65x15

Diet totals for 12-18-11: 2490 total, 227g P, 195g C, 90g F

Getsum
12-19-2011, 10:07 PM
It’s going to be a really busy week with Christmas coming up so I’m not expecting too much out of my workouts. Today was a rest day; I’m going to try to get something in tomorrow.

Diet totals for 12-19-11: 2235 total, 210g P, 180g C, 75g F

ChocoChick
12-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Have you ever tried kneeling squats? They are supposed to help with out-of-the-hole power.

Getsum
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Have you ever tried kneeling squats? They are supposed to help with out-of-the-hole power.

Good Morning CC!

I've watched some videos and read a few articles where they mention kneeling squats but I haven't tried them yet. The idea of getting down on my knees with a barbell full of weight on my back isn't very appealing at all but I might try them out next year. I want to add in good mornings again as well for my deadz, I have tried those but haven't stuck with them.

ironwill2008
12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I want to add in good mornings again as well for my deadz, I have tried those but haven't stuck with them.
GMs are a great accessory lift for squats as well, G.

Rivers has been trying too hard IMO. When he doesn't try to do it all, the 'Bolts do well.

Getsum
12-20-2011, 08:25 PM
GMs are a great accessory lift for squats as well, G.

Rivers has been trying too hard IMO. When he doesn't try to do it all, the 'Bolts do well.

Yeah, I need to stick with the GMs because they're really going to help in the long run. So many people and articles recommend them.

The offensive line has been playing a lot better and giving him some more time back there as well. It's sad because they'll probably be out of it this Sunday one way or another and it should have never gotten to this point. Detroit at home is a rough game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal today was to do my deadz without using the straps, it didn’t go as well as I had hoped. It was a mistake going from 385 to 415. The 415 never left the ground, same for the 400, and I had the 390 coming up when my grip failed. Live and learn I guess.

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)
Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 225x3, 295x3, 365x2, 385x1, 415xfailed both attempts, 400xfail, 390xfail, 315x3, 315x3
BOR- 80x20, 135x10, 135x10
EZ Bar curls- 80x10, 80x10
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 30x10, 30x10
Wrist curls (per arm)- 30x20, 30x20

Diet totals for 12-20-11: 2560 total, 223g P, 235g C, 68g F

mharrislove
12-21-2011, 03:14 AM
Good insights on the Sumo DLs; you'll probably pull 400 the next time around with just the small adjustments to the progression.

Getsum
12-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Good insights on the Sumo DLs; you'll probably pull 400 the next time around with just the small adjustments to the progression.

I know I'm close and I'm actually surprised about my grip failing but it is what it is. I'll get it soon though, if not this year, then next year for sure.

We had a potluck lunch today at work and I have no idea what my totals calories are today but Iím pretty sure I wasnít in a deficit! :D

Our new elliptical came today but I still need to put it together. My wife has been wanting to get one all year so I should be able to start saving for my leg press/hack squat combo now.

http://www.abolishbellyfat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/schwinn-431-elliptical1.jpg

Today is also the last day of Fall and I really wanting to start focusing on dropping body fat now. Lots of cardio, calorie restriction and my lifts might sufferÖwhatís not to love?!

Anyway, weíre making another trip to the mall so todayís going to be a rest day. Squats tomorrow, another bench attempt on Friday and Sunday and then Iím going into a deload the last week of the year so I can focus on the 5/3/1 and my next phase of training.

Getsum
12-22-2011, 09:15 PM
I failed to get the 310 again tonight and I think I’m just going to call it for this year. I really need to give my body a break and do a deload so I’m probably going to start off with some higher rep/lighter weight stuff tomorrow and finish the year off with that. It’s been a good year overall.

2011 Training Compilation
uD3Cx0-eWBg

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 310xfail on both attempts
Upright rows- 80x6, 80x6

Cardio – 15 minutes on the elliptical

Diet totals for 12-22-11: 2353 total, 272g P, 141g C, 76g F

Swann74
12-23-2011, 05:12 AM
I enjoyed the compilation vid. You have done some solid work this year, and do deserve to close the year out with a deload.

Great job; I am looking forward to seeing you kill it next year!

mharrislove
12-23-2011, 05:39 AM
It's a great time for a deload - especially if you have family-related travel and other obligations; that's how I ran my big deload last year. But I'm in town this year, so I'll keep hammering away for now.

Have a great holiday season, and I look forward to seeing you smash all of your lifting goals next year.

ChocoChick
12-23-2011, 06:28 AM
You've been killing it for a while. A deload is good.

Getsum
12-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I enjoyed the compilation vid. You have done some solid work this year, and do deserve to close the year out with a deload.

Great job; I am looking forward to seeing you kill it next year!

Thanks John, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays man!

It's a great time for a deload - especially if you have family-related travel and other obligations; that's how I ran my big deload last year. But I'm in town this year, so I'll keep hammering away for now.

Have a great holiday season, and I look forward to seeing you smash all of your lifting goals next year.

Thanks MH, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays man!

You've been killing it for a while. A deload is good.

Thanks CC! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy Birthday! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got to post this...

No one is going to believe this, I barely believe it and I was freaking there.

We’ve had this lizard hiding in our bedroom for probably two months or so. It’s really been screwing with my wife, hiding under towels and clothes she throws on the floor and what not. The little sucker is wicked fast and smart. Every once in a while he’ll climb up on my bedroom curtain and I almost caught him that way once before. Well, I’m sitting at my computer waiting for my wife to cook my eggs and hear the curtains ruffle. I’m thinking he’s mine now and grab him and he’s all bundled up inside of the curtains so I take them off the rod and head outside. I tell my wife to come out in the front to make sure I actually have the little sucker in there. I take him all the way out to the front of my yard by this pine tree to let him go out there, figuring that should make a good home for him, and when I start unraveling the curtains, the little bastard starts hauling ass towards the front door where my wife is standing…oh crap, I’m laughing my ass off because she’s screaming bloody murder. Luckily he didn’t actually make it back inside but I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back in when we leave the door open. Unbelievable and I wish I would have gotten that on video.

Getsum
12-23-2011, 08:12 PM
My new belt, chalk and bench shirt came from Inzer today and I’m looking forward to using them next year. I tried using a narrower stance on my squat tonight and while it’s easier to go deeper, I can really feel them in my knees for some reason.

Deload Workout #1

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5, 185x5, 185x5, 185x5
Calf Raises- 185x10, 185x10, 185x10
RDL- 140x5, 140x5, 140x5

Cardio – 20 minutes on the elliptical

Diet totals for 12-23-11: 2698 total, 226g P, 249g C, 87g F

Bronzebird
12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice squating bro, I know you lift safe before lifting heavy!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Christmas/Smileys%20Christmas/ChristmasEvesmiley.gif

Getsum
12-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Nice squating bro, I know you lift safe before lifting heavy!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Christmas/Smileys%20Christmas/ChristmasEvesmiley.gif

Thanks Marty, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year man!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I did a quick light weight mixed workout this morning. The cardio on the elliptical is much harder than the cardio on the recumbent bike. I’m hoping my endurance really improves as I work myself back up to an hour.

Deload Workout #2

AM Fasted Cardio – 15 minutes on the elliptical

Mixed
EZ Bar curls- 65x10, 65x10
Triceps Extension- 55x15, 55x15
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 20x10, 20x10
Wrist curls (per arm)- 20x20, 20x20
Arnold Press- 20x10, 20x10
DB Front Lateral Raise (per arm)- 10x10, 10x10

Diet totals for 12-24-11: 3055 total, 223g P, 242g C, 89g F

alex2363
12-25-2011, 02:04 AM
Merry christmas everyone!!!!

cactusflower
12-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Merry Christmas!!!

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/christmas/santa3.gif

Getsum
12-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Merry christmas everyone!!!!

Merry Christmas Alex!

Merry Christmas!!!

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/christmas/santa3.gif

Merry Christmas CF! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just another quick deload workout, well except for the body weight reps.

12-25-11 212x19 Body Weight Reps
SbF_4tgE1mg

Deload Workout #3

AM Fasted Cardio – 30 minutes on the elliptical

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 212x19, 185x5, 135x5
Dips- BWx10, BWx10

Diet totals for 12-25-11: 2949 total, 250g P, 192g C, 127g F

alex2363
12-26-2011, 06:41 AM
nice b/p...make sure you check those spotter bars, you seem to be lifting more weight and may cause stress to the welding points.

cactusflower
12-26-2011, 07:04 AM
P.S. I am sub'd :D

mharrislove
12-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Have a good New Year, bro!

mslman71
12-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Hey, thanks for the Christmas wishes. I hope you and yours had a great one!

Getsum
12-26-2011, 07:43 PM
nice b/p...make sure you check those spotter bars, you seem to be lifting more weight and may cause stress to the welding points.

Thanks. Those bars 1" solid steel, they should be able to handle any of the weight I'm moving.

P.S. I am sub'd :D

Cool deal CF!

Have a good New Year, bro!

Yeah, 2012 should be a great year! That's the plan anyway.

Hey, thanks for the Christmas wishes. I hope you and yours had a great one!

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the gym with my wife for a quick mixed workout.

Deload Workout #4

Mixed
Leg Press PWO- 270x10, 360x10, 360x10
Calf Press PWO- 270x10, 360x10, 320x10
Seated Leg Extension (Hoist Machine)- Setting #8x10, #8x10, #8x10
Seated Leg Curls (Hoist Machine)- #8x10, #8x10, #8x10
Seated Row- 100x10, 100x10
Lat Pull Downs- 100x10, 100x10
Underhand Cable Pull downs- 100x10, 100x10
Preacher curls- 50x10, 50x10, 50x10

Core – Weighted Crunches x 5 sets, regular crunches x 3 sets

Cardio – 30 minutes on the elliptical

Diet totals for 12-26-11: 2760 total, 201g P, 229g C, 121g F

ironwill2008
12-27-2011, 07:54 AM
gj getting in some work during such a busy time of year, G.

Bo_Flecks
12-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I went to the gym with my wife for a quick mixed workout.

Does she usually go with you?

My wife has FINALLY decided to start working out again. We are going to get her a gym membership where she has daycare for the little one.

Getsum
12-27-2011, 08:26 PM
gj getting in some work during such a busy time of year, G.

Thanks Bill.

I really like working out on my days off from work, especially when I get it done in the morning.

Does she usually go with you?

My wife has FINALLY decided to start working out again. We are going to get her a gym membership where she has daycare for the little one.

Well, we used to go to the gym together fairly regularly but lately I've been just working out at home. She likes some of the cardio classes and I was doing my extra leg day on Monday nights to workout with her a bit either before or after her class. Sometimes she just goes to the class alone or with her friend Mona but she likes like to lift with me so I try to go with her. I normally have her do a couple of sets for a full body or when she's going more regularly, I switch it to an upper/lower split and that really works out well for her. She was telling me tonight how sore she is from yesterday, I told her good, you're doing it right. :D Honestly though, it's probably her first time lifting in two months so the doms seem to hit harder after a break like that. She also has a screwed up back so I have to be careful not to aggravate that. We've been paying a chiropractor every month for at least 10 years, probably closer to 15.

All of our kids are grown and have kids of their own, we have 10 grandkids. It's pretty easy for us to just go when we want but we seem to do the best when we take off as soon as she gets home from work. When I'm working out at home, I'm normally done lifting before she gets home or just finishing up and I do my cardio in the living room while we're watching a show. That new elliptical was mainly for her, the recumbent bike was good enough for me but she didn't like it much. I will say this though, 30 minutes on that elliptical is a lot harder than 30 minutes on the recumbent bike.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another quick deload workout. I’m going to do an arm workout tomorrow.

Deload Workout #4

Deadlift
Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x5
BOR- 80x10, 135x5, 135x5
DB Row (per arm)- 50x5, 50x5

Diet totals for 12-27-11: 2375 total, 235g P, 145g C, 106g F

hazto
12-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Age 43 and 10 grandkids? I'm 49 and still waiting on just 1, my kids seem to want to wait until later in life, driving me crazy.

Getsum
12-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Age 43 and 10 grandkids? I'm 49 and still waiting on just 1, my kids seem to want to wait until later in life, driving me crazy.

Yeah, I started very early and so did they.

First off, I really suck at deloading but I am going to stick with it. I think it’s part of the reason I felt on today. I came home planning on doing an arm workout and was setting up the rack and my bench for some decline CGBP for my triceps. Well, I kept looking at the bar and convinced myself to give the 310 one last attempt, I mean…why not! Body weight was 211.6# today, I’m really fat and I need to cut. It all goes straight to my gut, unreal.

I did a couple of things differently that I want to make note of for future attempts. I went with a narrower grip and I’m ‘trying’ to keep my elbows tucked in closer to my body. I went with my feet back as far I could ‘comfortably’ get them. I actually had a hamstring cramp up on the first attempt. I’m holding my breath during the entire lift and I’m try to get as much arch as possible. Anyway, I’ll keep working on all of it next year.

12-28-11 310xfail…first attempt
H-9_2ChpGhY

12-28-11 310x1 New PR
jrTyCtA-o-E

Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 310xfail, 310x1 (new PR), 315xfail (I was gassed, barely came off my chest)
EZ Bar curls- 65x10, 65x10
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 20x10, 20x10
Wrist curls (per arm)- 20x20, 20x20

Diet totals for 12-28-11: 2290 total, 244g P, 184g C, 67g F

Swann74
12-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Awesome! Great job on the very well deserved PR!

alex2363
12-29-2011, 02:04 AM
310...congrats flint!!:)

ChocoChick
12-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Only you would get a PR during a deload! :rolleyes:

Congrats!!! Sweet way to end 2011. :)

Getsum
12-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Awesome! Great job on the very well deserved PR!

Thanks John, I was really help to get that.

310...congrats flint!!:)

Thanks Alex.

Only you would get a PR during a deload! :rolleyes:

Congrats!!! Sweet way to end 2011. :)

Thanks CC!

I really suck at deloading but it's regular part of the 5/3/1 I'm doing next year so I better get used to it. It should give me a good chance to concentrate of from issues each month.

----------------------------------------------------------

Posting this here because I'm trying to come up with a checklist for bench like the one I have for squats.

I encourage everyone to go through this mental checklist EVERY time you bench. I think over my form every time I am preparing for a lift, sit down on the bench, and perform the actual lift. Proper technique is crucial to avoiding injuries and moving weight.

1. Proper foot position: I encourage my lifters to wear steal toe'd boots every time they are benching. This allows you to kick your feet back and press down on the toes, move the heals back and get maximum drive.

2. PINCH YOUR SHOULDERS!! Shoulders should be pinched back and adjusted as you are laying on the bench. Once your blades are pinched together, keep them like that the entire lift. This is critical because it lessens how far you have to move your arms throughout the lift. Pinched shoulders also are the first step to keeping your elbows tucked in.

3. Keep your wrists straight throughout the whole lift. Go buy wrist wraps now. I use them even for warmups, they give me one less thing to worry about and prevent injury.

4. Throughout the whole lift, tuck your elbows in!!! This is the hardest and most important part of the lift to. When you flare your elbows out, that's when pecs and rotator cuffs are torn. You should aim your elbows for your rib cage. This doesn't mean you have to have a narrow grip. I recommend putting your middle or ring finger on the rivet on the bar. You should imagine yourself pulling apart the bar while your elbows are aimed for your rips.

5. On the decent of the lift, you should aim 2-5 inches below your nipples (depending on how tall and big you are).

6. IMPORTANT: KEEP THE WEIGHT IN YOUR TRICEPS AND LET IT BIND UP IN YOUR BACK!! As you are lowering the bar, you should be pressing with your triceps but not enough to move the bar up, just enough to stay activated. You should be pressing with your triceps while contracting them then when the bar lowers since your back is pinched and elbows are tucked, let the weight bind up in your back. The second you pause at the bottom (or when you hit a board while board pressing) and you get the press call, activate leg drive and maximal tricep drive and the weight should travel is a fairly straight path up (same path as going down). Bringing the bar too high up on your body creates a longer path of movement

Tips:
*Leg drive should push you back on your traps
*Set up as big of an arch as possible

My warmup is 1 plate for 5 reps, then 2 plates for 5 reps, then 3 for 5 reps then over 1000 pounds next set. Keep in mine these are 25 kilo plates

Nice hatebreed pumpup music! K your setup looks great from here. Your arch and leg placement are perfect. When you are decending, the weight is not in your triceps, the bar needs to be more forward (towards your stomach) and your elbows really need to tuck. Instead of rebounding at the bottom and getting your drive from dropping the bar then exploding up with somewhat of a bounce, you should be going down very very slow binding your back and triceps and the second you touch, there is no rebound on the bottom and you never release your tricep contraction and arm/elbow/back tightness. The second you touch you should be like a bow and arrow pulled back and activate that leg drive and explode up. Once you connect all of that, you will be in a lot better shape strength wise and that will help you prevent unnecessary injuries.

Getsum
12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
My chest and back are both sore from yesterday so Iím used today as a rest day. I have tomorrow off so Iím hoping to either workout at home or hit the gym first thing in the morning.

Diet totals for 12-29-11: 3060 total, 215g P, 254g C, 114g F

ArchAngel'73
12-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Lizard story had me LOL'ing IRL.
on spread with ya

Soon need to change your username to Gettin'SumMore as you sure have put in your fair share of work and progress!! Much respect.

Happy New Year and keep kickin' ass in 2012!\

btw--cool you picked up some great info in the Scot thread.

Getsum
12-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Lizard story had me LOL'ing IRL.
on spread with ya

Soon need to change your username to Gettin'SumMore as you sure have put in your fair share of work and progress!! Much respect.

Happy New Year and keep kickin' ass in 2012!\

btw--cool you picked up some great info in the Scot thread.

Thanks Brian.

I just got back from the gym and had a great workout, there was a good crowd there this morning and it gives me some hope about next month. Anyway, I'll post my stuff later tonight after I get my diet totals and I'm either going to do some additional cardio or some yardio.

I actually miss that little lizard, or well, I miss the random screams from my wife when she'd pick up a towel or something off the floor and he'd be chilling underneath it. It's hard to find good cheap entertainment like that! :D

Scot seems like a really cool dude. I'm thinking about going to the LA fitness expo next month so I can watch the bench comp. I'm also going to try and make it up to his gym next year sometime, it's only 3 hours up the road. I'm sure 2012 is going to be a great year for many of us in the OV35 and I'm looking forward to it. I seriously need to shed some fat though, I have no business being over 200# at this point. Anyway, enjoy your day and weekend man...time for me to grab some lunch!

Getsum
12-30-2011, 09:06 PM
I went to the gym first thing this morning and had a great workout. There was a really good crowd of people there this morning and it’s gives me hope that January might not be as crazy as it has been in the past.

Cardio – 10 minutes on the AMT

Legs & Shoulders
Leg Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10, 540x8, 630x6
Calf Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10, 540x6
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 225x5, 275x3, 275x3
Seated Leg Extension (Hoist Machine)- Setting #11x10, #11x10, #11x10
Seated Leg Curls (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10
HS Seated Shoulder Press PWO- 90x5, 180x5, 180x6, 180x6
HS Seated Shrugs PWO- 90x10, 180x10, 180x10, 180x10
Preacher curls- 50x10, 50x10, 50x10
Triceps Pushdown- 50x15, 60x10, 60x10
DB Front Lateral Raise (per arm)- 5x10, 10x10, 15x10
DB Side Lateral Raise (per arm)- 5x10, 10x10, 15x10

Core – Weighted Crunches x 5 sets, regular crunches x 3 sets

Diet totals for 12-30-11: 2275 total, 199g P, 177g C, 71g F

Bo_Flecks
12-31-2011, 08:36 AM
There was a really good crowd of people there this morning and it’s gives me hope that January might not be as crazy as it has been in the past.

Good luck with that...

:p

Getsum
12-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Good luck with that...

:p

lol...yeah, who am I kidding right? I normally try to get into the gym pretty early on a Saturday morning so I'll probably stick with that strategy.

My legs & traps are really sore, I just woke up about an hour ago. I just doing so yard work and helping my wife put away the Christmas stuff.

Getsum
12-31-2011, 07:23 PM
I just did some cardio today. Happy New Year Everyone!

Diet totals for 12-30-11: 2688 total, 218g P, 177g C, 128g F

alex2363
12-31-2011, 11:40 PM
happy new year flint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Getsum
01-01-2012, 01:03 AM
happy new year flint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy New Year Alex!

Getsum
01-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Happy New Year Everyone! I'm still up so may as well get started. Here's my plan and goals for 2012!

Goals
My main goal for 2012 is to have another 12 months of consistent training completed.

Other goals are getting back down to around 185-190ish and holding it, as well as learning how to slowly/slightly increase my calories above maintenance for strength/mass gains.

Bench 325.
Squat 405.
Deadlift 455.
Shoulder Press 205
BOR 205

Get back off insulin and diabetic meds and stay off of them.

Current Stats
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/BB%20Progress/Startingstatsfor2012.jpg

2011 Training Compilation
uD3Cx0-eWBg

12-28-11 310x1 New PR
jrTyCtA-o-E

Routine Wendlerís 5/3/1

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/BB%20Progress/531programfor2012.jpg

Bench (Chest & Triceps)- Sunday
*Flat Bench-
Incline Bench-
Weighted Dips-
Triceps Extension-

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)- Tuesday
*Dead lifts or Rack Pulls-
BOR-
EZ Bar curls-
Dumbbell Hammer curls-
Wrist curls-

Squats (Legs)- Thursday
*Squats-
BB Calf Raise-
Stiff-Legged Barbell Dead lift-

Shoulder Press (Shoulders & Traps)- Friday
*Shoulder Press-
Upright Row-
Shoulder shrugs-

Gym DayĖ (optional gym about day twice a month)
Leg press-
Calf Raises-
Seated Leg Extension-
Lying Leg curls or Hamtractor-
T-Bar rows-
Seated rows-
Wide-Grip Lat Pull downs-
Underhand Cable Pull downs-
Weighted Crunches-

The 5/3/1 Program This is a very easy program to work with. The following is a general outline of the training I suggest. Iíll go into detail on each point in the chapters to follow.
ē You will train 3-4 days per week (this will be up to you).
ē One day will be devoted to the standing military press, one day to the parallel squat, one day to the deadlift and one day to the bench press.
ē Each training cycle lasts 4 weeks.
ē The first week you will do 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5).
ē The second week you will do 3 sets of 3 reps (3x3).
ē The third week you will do 1 set of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 reps and 1 set of 1 rep (5/3/1).
ē The fourth week you will do 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5). This is an easy deload week.
ē After the fourth week, you begin again with 3 sets of 5 reps.
ē Each week and each set has a percentage to follow, so you wonít be guessing what to do anymore.

Cardio Daily Ė 30 minute combined total minimum (Walking, recumbent bike, elliptical, yard work, whatever)

http://www.strstd.com/

Bronzebird
01-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Nice goals for 2012!!

See you in the Beta-Cret logs bro ;)

ChocoChick
01-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Happy New Year, cutie! Looks like you have a great plan for starting the year off.

orca
01-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice job on the 310 PR. Congrats.

Good job on posting up the 2012 goals. I have no doubt you'll be smashing all of them.

-=FLEX=-
01-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Congrats on the 310, you bastage!!!!!!!1

:D

Getsum
01-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice goals for 2012!!

See you in the Beta-Cret logs bro ;)

Thanks Marty!

Yep, I hope it gets here soon!

Happy New Year, cutie! Looks like you have a great plan for starting the year off.

Thank you CC!

I'm hoping it works out, it's pretty close to what I was trying to do on my own so it should be a good fit.

Nice job on the 310 PR. Congrats.

Good job on posting up the 2012 goals. I have no doubt you'll be smashing all of them.

Thanks Kevin.

Well, if I don't reach them, it wont be for a lack of trying! :D

Congrats on the 310, you bastage!!!!!!!1

Thanks FLEX!

I went through this first workout without any trouble at all. I spent a good deal of time focusing on my setup and form and especially keeping my elbows tucked. This setup/form seems so much kinder on my shoulders and I was really able to keep my elbows tucked in on both the CGBP and Inclines. The bar is coming down to the lower portion of my pecs on flat bench which is right where I need it to be.

My diet was as close to perfect as it ever gets; I’m off to a good start.

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 210x5, 235x8
CGBP- 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
Incline Bench- 95x10, 95x10, 95x10
Dips- BWx10, BWx10, BWx10
Triceps Extension- 55x15, 55x15, 55x15

Diet totals for 1-1-12: 2314 total, 261g P, 83g C, 93g F

Getsum
01-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Today was a cardio only day for me. I overshot my target calories by 400 by eating an extra serving of brown rice.

Diet totals for 1-2-12: 2704 total, 259g P, 240g C, 70g F

alex2363
01-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Today was a cardio only day for me. I overshot my target calories by 400 by eating an extra serving of brown rice.

Diet totals for 1-2-12: 2704 total, 259g P, 240g C, 70g FFlint i was on diabetic and hi blood pressure meds for 5 years due to being 250-225 in weight...now im down to 185-190 and no more meds now for 3 years..i know you can do it.

acrawlingchaos
01-03-2012, 12:16 AM
IN for the 5/3/1 show down. Just Started myself kicking off the New Year. Jelly of how you made your first 5/3/1 post all purty.

Question on how you have our 4 days split up. Are you doing the DL and squat day back to back? I personally set it up

Bench
Squat
OHP
DL

This kept the DL and squat oppisite each other and the bench / OHP apart. Food for thought.

ironwill2008
01-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Smart move to take the time to do some planning, G. Having a map makes getting to the destination a lot easier.

Getsum
01-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Flint i was on diabetic and hi blood pressure meds for 5 years due to being 250-225 in weight...now im down to 185-190 and no more meds now for 3 years..i know you can do it.

Yeah, I've been on and off the meds and insulin numerous times now and I really don't need them when I'm under 200#. My readings are already improving, my morning reading wasn't bad at all today. I'll get there, and hopefully stay there.

IN for the 5/3/1 show down. Just Started myself kicking off the New Year. Jelly of how you made your first 5/3/1 post all purty.

Question on how you have our 4 days split up. Are you doing the DL and squat day back to back? I personally set it up

Bench
Squat
OHP
DL

This kept the DL and squat oppisite each other and the bench / OHP apart. Food for thought.

Well, there's a day of rest between by deadz and squats. I've been pretty much benching on Sunday's for over a year now just because that's when my son was available to come over to spot me. Now that I'm benching inside the rack, I can actually move my bench day to whenever. Then I've been deadz or rack pulls on Tuesdays for months, prior to that I had squats on Tuesdays and Deadz on Thursdays. This is a good fit for me and has been working out well. I was going to do my shoulders on Wednesdays but it made sense to move them to Friday.

From a DOMS viewpoint, my hardest day of the week is my optional Saturday workout because of the volume I hit my legs with. I can easily still be sore from that until Tuesday.

My original plan was close to what you have, only the deadz and squats are reversed. But honestly there's more than one way to skin a cat. If time wasn't an issue, I'd be on a 6 day split with a floating rest day. I'm sure I'll get back to that before the year is over but even then I'm going to stick with Wendler's method, of:

• The first week you will do 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5).
• The second week you will do 3 sets of 3 reps (3x3).
• The third week you will do 1 set of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 reps and 1 set of 1 rep (5/3/1).
• The fourth week you will do 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5). This is an easy deload week.

If you go back a year or two, or even farther, this is sort of what I used to do but on a 6 to 8 week cycle. I'd start lighter weight & higher reps and each week I'd increase the weight while decreasing the reps until I ended with some max attempts. Then I'd either take a week off or do a deload, which basically just a rinse and repeat.

Smart move to take the time to do some planning, G. Having a map makes getting to the destination a lot easier.

Thanks Bill!

I'm hoping the monthly deload helps and keeps me fresher for when I do have that heavy week. Slow & steady progression is what I'm trying to achieve. I even ordered some 1.25# Olympic plates so I can keep the increases small.

ironwill2008
01-03-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm hoping the monthly deload helps and keeps me fresher for when I do have that heavy week.
It's definitely something worth experimenting with.

Slow & steady progression is what I'm trying to achieve. I even ordered some 1.25# Olympic plates so I can keep the increases small.
There are some lifts that just demand small increments, and it's especially true when you've been training for a long time and everything is close to limit.

If a guy is near the point of stalling out on a lift, but can manage to add just a couple of those micro-plates (2 1/2 pounds for a pair) in a month (which for most of us would be at least 4 workouts), that's an increase of 30 pounds at the end of the year to an otherwise stalled lift. I know I'd sure take that!

Getsum
01-03-2012, 08:22 AM
It's definitely something worth experimenting with.

There are some lifts that just demand small increments, and it's especially true when you've been training for a long time and everything is close to limit.

If a guy is near the point of stalling out on a lift, but can manage to add just a couple of those micro-plates (2 1/2 pounds for a pair) in a month (which for most of us would be at least 4 workouts), that's an increase of 30 pounds at the end of the year to an otherwise stalled lift. I know I'd sure take that!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't see my bench going up 30 pounds in a year, but I can see that on my squats and deadz for sure. The other thing I was noticing was I really suck at adding weight to my isolation exercises like bicep curls for instance. While not as important as the compound movements, I don't want to completely ignore these either. I had some success last year with rep increases and I'd like to continue to focus on that as well, it's pretty nice to add good extra rep to any exercise.

ironwill2008
01-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I can't see my bench going up 30 pounds in a year.......

You never know; as we said, it would only take adding 2 1/2 pounds in a month's time to get there.

And another advantage of slow/steady small increments of progression is that by only bumping up in small increments, you're not frying your CNS every time you train. It requires recovery every bit as much as the muscles, possibly even moreso (I believe this).

The other thing I was noticing was I really suck at adding weight to my isolation exercises like bicep curls for instance.
It's tough to keep increases going on small-muscle exercises. Sometimes, we'll go for weeks without an increase, and then a few extra reps will suddenly show up.

Bronzebird
01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

I bet Ironwill know's the seven P's...;)

Flint r u planning a PL Meet this year?

Getsum
01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
You never know; as we said, it would only take adding 2 1/2 pounds in a month's time to get there.

And another advantage of slow/steady small increments of progression is that by only bumping up in small increments, you're not frying your CNS every time you train. It requires recovery every bit as much as the muscles, possibly even moreso (I believe this).

It's tough to keep increases going on small-muscle exercises. Sometimes, we'll go for weeks without an increase, and then a few extra reps will suddenly show up.

Yeah, my CNS was feeling fried last month with all those max attempts for sure. That's one thing I really notice when I'm reading your journal, you add some weight here, squeeze out another rep someplace else and there's a constant flow of progression. That's what it's all about.

Flint r u planning a PL Meet this year?

Proper, Prior, Planning, Prevents, Piss, Poor, Performance?

No, not for this year but I am kind of considering it in the future. I'm still researching the Therapeutic Use Exemptions of some of the different federations because of my medications. It's no biggie either way, I'm still doing this primarily because I enjoy it.

mharrislove
01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm glad that I caught that PR vid! Good luck with the Wendler stuff and the other goals this year.

cactusflower
01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Good start to the new year! *two thumbs up*

Getsum
01-03-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm glad that I caught that PR vid! Good luck with the Wendler stuff and the other goals this year.

Thanks MH!

Good start to the new year! *two thumbs up*

Thank you CF! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got up early this morning and did a small amount of cardio before heading into work and then did my lifting when I got home in the afternoon. This workout was harder than I thought it was going to be, that last set of deadz really had me gassed.

AM Fasted Cardio – 10 minutes on the elliptical

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)
Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, 312x8
BOR- 135x10, 155x8, 175x5, 187x5
Chin ups- Assistedx2, Assistedx2
Pull ups- Assistedx2, Assistedx2
EZ Bar curls- 65x10, 65x10, 65x10
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 25x10, 25x10, 25x10
Wrist curls (per arm)- 25x20, 25x20, 25x10

Diet totals for 1-3-12: 2280 total, 241g P, 209g C, 72g F

Bo_Flecks
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I got up early this morning and did a small amount of cardio before heading into work and then did my lifting when I got home in the afternoon. This workout was harder than I thought it was going to be, that last set of deadz really had me gassed.

That's a lot of work in the gym on top of two cardio session driven by only 2,280 cals. Yep... you're gonna'f feel gassed! Very solid work, Flint!

Getsum
01-04-2012, 07:40 PM
That's a lot of work in the gym on top of two cardio session driven by only 2,280 cals. Yep... you're gonna'f feel gassed! Very solid work, Flint!

Thanks Steve.

Yeah, I might need to take in some extra carbs on my lifting days and get myself closer to 2400. I'm just barely getting my diet dialed back in but it's getting a bit better everyday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No lifting today, just some cardio. The middle of my back has been really sore all day; I think it’s from the rows.

Diet totals for 1-4-12: 2330 total, 205g P, 192g C, 74g F

Getsum
01-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I was tired after work today and almost ended up taking a nap. I made some coffee and went ahead with my workout. That was a big mistake, my carbs where way too low for a lifting day and I was beyond gassed by the time I finished lifting. I did feel better after dinner and managed to get some low intensity cardio done. I probably should have ate some carbs and taken the nap, then worked out…live and learn.

Today was a struggle, I’ll try to tweak things a bit for tomorrow’s workout. I don’t know, people have mentioned that it takes a while for your body to get used to lower carbs but I think I’ll be better off staying closer to 200g on lifting days and then lower on cardio only days.

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 250x5, 285x5, 285x3 (tried for an extra set but failed on the 4th rep)
Box Squats- 225x3, 225x3
Calf Raises- 225x10, 225x10
SLDL- 200x5, 200x5

Diet totals for 1-5-12: 2459 total, 271g P, 131g C, 86g F

ironwill2008
01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
.... that last set of deadz really had me gassed.

I'm with ya. I'm doing something similar; after the percentage sets, I'm required to drop back to 70%, and get at least 8 reps in order to qualify to add weight on the subsequent session. It's by far the toughest set in the workout.

cactusflower
01-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Wholly mackinaw on that workout!!!!

Your legs musta been fried !!!!

Getsum
01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm with ya. I'm doing something similar; after the percentage sets, I'm required to drop back to 70%, and get at least 8 reps in order to qualify to add weight on the subsequent session. It's by far the toughest set in the workout.

I really enjoy dropping back down to get the volume in. I've done that with squats, leg press and bench but for some reason not with deadz. I'm going to try to do that to make sure I'm getting my needed reps in.

Wholly mackinaw on that workout!!!!

Your legs musta been fried !!!!

Thanks CF!

I've really been working on my depth and pausing at the bottom like FLEX has been doing and it sure makes things harder. My legs were sore yesterday but so were my knees and that's something I'm a bit concerned about. I can feel a stretch when in them and it's something I'm going to keep an eye on. I ordered some knee straps so maybe those will help, I've never used them though so I really don't have any idea.

I’m posting the video just for a form check, please feel free to tell me anything and everything I’m doing wrong. There was a thread in the OV35 on Military Press and it made me want to get my own form checked out. I only used the belt on my last set.

I felt a lot better with this workout and I did eat more carbs than yesterday but less fat. Honestly though, this isn’t nearly as hard as my squats so I’ll wait to see next week and adjust from there. I might go to the gym in the morning for legs, if I don’t I’m going to try to stay low on the carbs tomorrow.

1-6-12 135x8
EclYewyiqgQ

Shoulders
Standing BB Shoulder Press- barx5, 75x5, 95x5, 120x5, 135x8
Behind the Back Shrug- 135x10, 135x10, 135x5
Standing Shrugs- 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
Upright rows- 75x10, 75x10, 75x10
DB Front Lateral Raise (per arm)- 10x10, 10x10
DB Side Lateral Raise (per arm)- 10x10, 10x10

Diet totals for 1-6-12: 2499 total, 271g P, 170g C, 71g F

Swann74
01-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I’m posting the video just for a form check, please feel free to tell me anything and everything I’m doing wrong. There was a thread in the OV35 on Military Press and it made me want to get my own form checked out. I only used the belt on my last set.

Nice workout tonight Flint. It looked like you might have used a small bit of leg drive on the first and last rep, but the middle ones looked solid all the way.

ironwill2008
01-07-2012, 07:28 AM

LOL. Or some variation thereof! :D

alex2363
01-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Nice workout tonight Flint. It looked like you might have used a small bit of leg drive on the first and last rep, but the middle ones looked solid all the way.I saw that too, also the calves look strong Flint.

Getsum
01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Nice workout tonight Flint. It looked like you might have used a small bit of leg drive on the first and last rep, but the middle ones looked solid all the way.

Thanks John. A couple of people mentioned my grip was too wide and I do need a little bit of leg drive to get it off my chest. Going that low can cause some pain in my left shoulder.

I saw that too, also the calves look strong Flint.

Thanks Alex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up really early this morning and went to the gym first thing. It was fairly empty at 0530 and I didn’t have to wait on a single machine. I did some cardio after breakfast back at the house.

Legs
Leg Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10, 540x8, 630x6, 540x8, 450x10, 360x12, 270x15
Calf Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10, 450x10, 360x12, 270x15
Squats- Barx5, 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 275x3
Seated Leg Extension (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10
Seated Leg Curls (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10

Core – Weighted Crunches x 7 sets, regular crunches x 3 sets, leg raises x 5 sets

Diet totals for 1-7-12: 2448 total, 258g P, 155g C, 86g F

generetired
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Very impressed with the weights you are moving and even more so with the well thought out plan. My experience with carbs is similar to what you are trying - lower carbs overall with a fewer on non-lifting days. I find that I can get away with lower carbs if I injest them just before and just after the workouts. Otherwise I have no energy in the gym and/or am lethargic after the workout.

Getsum
01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Very impressed with the weights you are moving and even more so with the well thought out plan. My experience with carbs is similar to what you are trying - lower carbs overall with a fewer on non-lifting days. I find that I can get away with lower carbs if I injest them just before and just after the workouts. Otherwise I have no energy in the gym and/or am lethargic after the workout.

Thanks Gene. Yeah, I've had good results with these macros and calories in the past. I actually do really well on a 40p/40c/20c macro ratio but I'm hoping a bit lower on the carbs and a bit higher on the protein leads to preserving more muscle. I'll see what happens to my strength as I get lower in body fat. I was able to bench 302# @ 187# body weight last year so if I can improve on that it would be great.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My body weight was 210.4# this morning so I lost 1.2# last week. I’m in the OV35 bench comp again and I wanted to get an opening lift in for the year so I went with a couple attempts, I’m calling this ‘assistance work’. Anyway, I failed on the 312# but was able to get 300# no problem and that’s a good enough for an opening lift.

1-8-12 250x7 @ 210.4# BW
nmxTnJCpetM

1-8-12 312xfail @ 210.4# BW
t1j4Kr_T0uI

1-8-12 300x1 @ 210.4# BW
zVu9N6lLm5g

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 165x3, 205x3, 225x3, 250x7, 312xfail, 300x1
CGBP- 135x10, 155x10, 175x10
Incline Bench- 95x10, 115x10, 135x10
Dips- BWx10, BW+25x5, BW+25x5

Diet totals for 1-8-12: 2339 total, 252g P, 128g C, 89g F

Snapshot of my diet for week #1:

Total Calories for Week #1- 17,034
Average Cal per day- 2433
Protein per day- 252g
Carbs per day- 169g
Fat per day- 78g
Cardio per day- 30 minutes
Weight lost- 1.2#

ChocoChick
01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Nice benching!

generetired
01-08-2012, 07:13 PM
I like the macros. I expect you will be able to conserve muscle with your heavy lifts, high protein, and enough carbs to get by. Solid vids.

Getsum
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Nice benching!

Nice Avi! :)

I like the macros. I expect you will be able to conserve muscle with your heavy lifts, high protein, and enough carbs to get by. Solid vids.

I really hope so!

Swann74
01-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Not a bad start there my friend. Not bad at all. :)

My predication: 312 is yours by February.

alex2363
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
great w/o....nice job on weight. diet looks on point too

Getsum
01-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Not a bad start there my friend. Not bad at all. :)

My predication: 312 is yours by February.

Thanks John. I'm hoping so, that would be great.

great w/o....nice job on weight. diet looks on point too

Thanks Alex. The diet is doing pretty well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was a cardio only day for me

Diet totals for 1-9-12: 2419 total, 257g P, 162g C, 71g F

Bo_Flecks
01-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Total Calories for Week #1- 17,034
Average Cal per day- 2433
Protein per day- 252g
Carbs per day- 169g
Fat per day- 78g
Weight lost- 1.2#

This is good stuff right here. If more guys paid this kind of attention to their nutrition, you would read a whole lot more success stories about guys keeping (or increasing) their strength while shedding a few pounds. Great work, Flint!

HoustonTXMuscle
01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks Gene. Yeah, I've had good results with these macros and calories in the past. I actually do really well on a 40p/40c/20c macro ratio but I'm hoping a bit lower on the carbs and a bit higher on the protein leads to preserving more muscle. I'll see what happens to my strength as I get lower in body fat. I was able to bench 302# @ 187# body weight last year so if I can improve on that it would be great. ....

Am really a noob in this section of the forums. Excellent and impressive log! Sub'd.

ironwill2008
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
This is good stuff right here. If more guys paid this kind of attention to their nutrition, you would read a whole lot more success stories about guys keeping (or increasing) their strength while shedding a few pounds. Great work, Flint!

^^^^This.

While it can be a PITA to look after the details (until it becomes habit), it's the only way to insure adequate macros and consistent progress.

Good Bench work too, BTW, G. Coming back at 300 after missing 312 takes cojones.

Getsum
01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

It's the only way I've had any real success with cutting and maintaining. If I stop tracking my calories and macros, I'm basically bulking even while eating healthy. It's really not that difficult once you get started and it isn't rocket science either.

Well, unless your trying to figure out how your metabolism works: :eek:
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/590metabolism.gif

Personally, this is good enough for me: :)
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/caloric_balance_scale.jpg

Am really a noob in this section of the forums. Excellent and impressive log! Sub'd.

Thank you and it's great to have you. IMHO, the best info on BB.com is found buried in different people's journals.

^^^^This.

While it can be a PITA to look after the details (until it becomes habit), it's the only way to insure adequate macros and consistent progress.

Good Bench work too, BTW, G. Coming back at 300 after missing 312 takes cojones.

Thanks Bill! I'd really like to be repping that 300 before the years out. I know I'm close on the 312 as well, just need to be patient.

ChocoChick
01-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Personally, this is good enough for me: :)
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/caloric_balance_scale.jpg[/center]

Haha - I am with you on this one!

Actually, I spent a bunch of time back in 2006 learning everything I could about nutrition and metablism and, while I am glad to have done it, the reality is exactly what you posted here.

Getsum
01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Haha - I am with you on this one!

Actually, I spent a bunch of time back in 2006 learning everything I could about nutrition and metablism and, while I am glad to have done it, the reality is exactly what you posted here.

lol, sometimes it's better to keep it simple! :)

I had a pretty good workout today. I added 1 rep to my assist chins and I added 10# to my EZ Bar curls.

1-10-12 330x6
iOaYc5bYsb0

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)
Regular Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 255x3, 290x3, 330x6, 275x3, 225x3
Chin ups- Assistedx3, Assistedx2
BOR- 135x5, 155x5, 175x3, 185x3
EZ Bar curls- 75x10, 75x10, 75x10

Diet totals for 1-10-12: 2353 total, 233g P, 171g C, 77g F

Hibiscus09
01-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Great workouts!! Nice job on your opening lift and on your nutrition. Happy 2012!

Swann74
01-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Solid continued work on those Deadz Flint! Not much else to say, but I'd say your Deadz speak loudly enough.

Getsum
01-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Great workouts!! Nice job on your opening lift and on your nutrition. Happy 2012!

Hi Diane, thank you! :) Happy 2012!

Solid continued work on those Deadz Flint! Not much else to say, but I'd say your Deadz speak loudly enough.

Thanks John.

Someone told me to stop looking down on my deadz, look up as that's the direction the weight is going so I'll work on that next week.

Swann74
01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Someone told me to stop looking down on my deadz, look up as that's the direction the weight is going so I'll work on that next week.

Yes, that's the way I've always been told as well. Well... either directly ahead or looking up. But I'm new enough to Deadlifting that I don't pretend to be qualified to offer much by way of critique unless I see a back in a dangerous position.

Getsum
01-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Yes, that's the way I've always been told as well. Well... either directly ahead or looking up. But I'm new enough to Deadlifting that I don't pretend to be qualified to offer much by way of critique unless I see a back in a dangerous position.

My back is feeling a lot stronger. The middle of my back is really sore between my shoulder blades again, just like last week. I'm not sure if it's the chins/pullups or the rows but it feels good.

I just remembered that my journal is 7 years old today. Even with the breaks, I've come a long ways since starting this journal, especially on working my legs. I never really did heavy deadlifts or squats until I joined this site and bought my rack back in 2005. I never owned a Olympic bar plates either.

Well, another 7 years of consistent training (NO BREAKS) should get me right where I want to be. :)

Getsum
01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
Soon!

1-11-12 312.5xfail …first attempt
zfryAQ_b-4I

1-11-12 312.5xfail…second attempt
6CwmShSP2D8

Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 312.5xfail on both attempts

Diet totals for 1-11-12: 2519 total, 249g P, 155g C, 72g F

123D321
01-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Good job on the lifts and the macro tracking.

ChocoChick
01-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Yes! I look up at a spot on the wall about 8 feet over the top of my head. It helps to keep your back in position.

Congrats on 7 years of journaling!

Getsum
01-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Good job on the lifts and the macro tracking.

Thanks Man!

Yes! I look up at a spot on the wall about 8 feet over the top of my head. It helps to keep your back in position.

Congrats on 7 years of journaling!

Thanks CC!

I'll be looking up next week. I try to do that on my squats.

Getsum
01-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I’m really happy with tonight’s workout especially considering how low my calories were today.

1-12-12 265x3
W65b0rSAv1U

1-12-12 300x5
BedBpaf_iCo

1-12-12 350x1 @ 210.4# body weight
KgxAbAuQp_c

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 205x3, 235x3, 265x3, 300x5, 350x1
Box Squats- 225x3, 225x3, 225x3
SLDL- 200x5, 200x5, 200x5

Diet totals for 1-5-12: 2154 total, 222g P, 163g C, 59g F

whatevergirl
01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
^^^ wow. nice job, getsum! 350 for squats? awesome strength!! :)

i should do box squats. i need to start writing stuff down before i go to the gym, as reminders.

Swann74
01-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Soon!

6CwmShSP2D8

Very soon indeed. My prediction of by Feb will definitely come true.

I’m really happy with tonight’s workout especially considering how low my calories were today.

1-12-12 350x1 @ 210.4# body weight
KgxAbAuQp_c

I'd be happy too. You are really hitting some solid numbers to bring in the year Flint. [channeling Bill]Steady as you go.[/channeling Bill]

alex2363
01-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Flint you killing it.....your a beast, low calories strength too

Getsum
01-13-2012, 07:22 AM
^^^ wow. nice job, getsum! 350 for squats? awesome strength!! :)

i should do box squats. i need to start writing stuff down before i go to the gym, as reminders.

Thank you WEG! :)

I can't even begin to tell you how much the box squats have helped me. The other thing that's really helping is pausing at the bottom on my warmup and lighter working sets. I have to thank skiboy1955 for helping me with my box squats and setup and then FLEX for the pausing.

Very soon indeed. My prediction of by Feb will definitely come true.

I'd be happy too. You are really hitting some solid numbers to bring in the year Flint. [channeling Bill]Steady as you go.[/channeling Bill]

Thanks John.

Bill is the man without a doubt. I'm trying to make sure I add a bit of wait to my accessory lifts as well, even those small increases will add up.

Flint you killing it.....your a beast, low calories strength too

Thanks Alex. I think my body is adjusting fairly well, I actually had a hard time finishing my dinner last night.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/012.jpg

London Broil, veggies and long grain rice...cutting is so rough! :D

ChocoChick
01-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Nice squatting! Good depth and heavy weight = perfect!

whatevergirl
01-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi Getsum!

Ok, I see. what do you mean...'pausing?' At the bottom, you stop for a few seconds before bringing up the weight? How does this help exactly?

hazto
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Looking at your food, cutting, are you weighing it or just going for it? Squats look great, nice weight.

Getsum
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice squatting! Good depth and heavy weight = perfect!

Thank you CC! :)

Enjoy your Friday and weekend!

Hi Getsum!

Ok, I see. what do you mean...'pausing?' At the bottom, you stop for a few seconds before bringing up the weight? How does this help exactly?

Hi WEG! :)

Yeah. I don't have a video of my warmup or lighter sets but this guy here does a really good job squatting.

eGCtTmVypUo

It helps because I'm basically as low as I can physically go (my hamstrings are against my calves). I'm still not completely satisfied with my depth. I'm doing great on my warmup and lighter working sets taking the bar all the way down to the pins and then pausing at the bottom. I start to feel it in my knees as the weight gets heavier and I'm hoping the knee straps I ordered get here soon.

Looking at your food, cutting, are you weighing it or just going for it? Squats look great, nice weight.

Thanks.

Well, I do a little of both and I do weigh and measure things. I cooked 2 pounds of London Broil and that's basically 4 servings. The veggies are the whole can of mixed veggies and I use 2 tbsp of i can't believe it's not butter, onion powder, garlic powder and a dash of season salt. The rice isn't something I normally eat but I was really low on my carbs yesterday so I added two servings of it. My wife doesn't like beef so in addition to the London Broil, we also grilled up 4 pounds of chicken breasts. She doesn't like my mixed veggies, so she did the long grain rice. I take my info off the boxes, cans or bottles and everything is tracked on my diet spreadsheet. It's important to add in the oils used for cooking eggs or rice and the butter I use on my veggies. I use the spray i can't believe it's not butter on my steamed broccoli and really love it. I eat an entire frozen bag of the stuff because leftover veggies suck.

But anyway, I also tend to eat the same things over and over, just prepared differently or different combos. My dinners are usually protein (beef, fish, chicken, turkey or pork) and veggies. If I'm low on carbs I'll do a potato or some brown rice. It's a PITA to get started but if you eat the same things in just some copying and pasting. Other things can be a royal pain to figure, like carne asada tacos, I have to add the tortillas, beef and guacamole separately.

alex2363
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
your diet looks good, i too hate left over veggie.

Getsum
01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
your diet looks good, i too hate left over veggie.

Thanks Alex, it's feeling right on track.

---------------------------------------------------------

The journey continues. I tried 315 after the 312.5 and it went down and stayed down, absolutely no upward movement at all. I was really gassed after the 312.5 though. Butt came up a bit as well. Another workout in the books, time to chill!

1-13-12 312.5# x 1
-imbzQmXcS4

Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 205x1, 255x1, 312.5x1 New PR, 315xfail

Now for my actual workout.

Shoulders
Standing BB Shoulder Press- barx5, 75x5, 95x5, 110x3, 125x3, 145x
Behind the Back Shrug- 135x10, 135x10, 135x5
Standing Shrugs- 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
Upright rows- 75x10, 75x10, 75x10

Diet totals for 1-13-12: 2337 total, 290g P, 142g C, 66g F

Swann74
01-13-2012, 08:17 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Getsum again.

Nice job, butt elevation notwithstanding!

alex2363
01-13-2012, 11:18 PM
your getting it flint...keep it up.

whatevergirl
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi WEG! :)

Yeah. I don't have a video of my warmup or lighter sets but this guy here does a really good job squatting.

eGCtTmVypUo

It helps because I'm basically as low as I can physically go (my hamstrings are against my calves). I'm still not completely satisfied with my depth. I'm doing great on my warmup and lighter working sets taking the bar all the way down to the pins and then pausing at the bottom. I start to feel it in my knees as the weight gets heavier and I'm hoping the knee straps I ordered get here soon.

Thanks.

Well, I do a little of both and I do weigh and measure things. I cooked 2 pounds of London Broil and that's basically 4 servings. The veggies are the whole can of mixed veggies and I use 2 tbsp of i can't believe it's not butter, onion powder, garlic powder and a dash of season salt. The rice isn't something I normally eat but I was really low on my carbs yesterday so I added two servings of it. My wife doesn't like beef so in addition to the London Broil, we also grilled up 4 pounds of chicken breasts. She doesn't like my mixed veggies, so she did the long grain rice. I take my info off the boxes, cans or bottles and everything is tracked on my diet spreadsheet. It's important to add in the oils used for cooking eggs or rice and the butter I use on my veggies. I use the spray i can't believe it's not butter on my steamed broccoli and really love it. I eat an entire frozen bag of the stuff because leftover veggies suck.

But anyway, I also tend to eat the same things over and over, just prepared differently or different combos. My dinners are usually protein (beef, fish, chicken, turkey or pork) and veggies. If I'm low on carbs I'll do a potato or some brown rice. It's a PITA to get started but if you eat the same things in just some copying and pasting. Other things can be a royal pain to figure, like carne asada tacos, I have to add the tortillas, beef and guacamole separately.

i was like...gee, that guy looks just like FLEX. it IS FLEX. :p
that's quite a deep drop, with the pause. :eek: wow. i will have to practice that.

happy saturday, silly. ;)

boathead
01-14-2012, 09:04 AM
nice bench! mirin for sure. and you definately have the leg drive going.

-=FLEX=-
01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
i was like...gee, that guy looks just like FLEX.

Whoever it is, he's dead sexy. ;)

Getsum
01-14-2012, 08:48 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Getsum again.

Nice job, butt elevation notwithstanding!

Thanks John!

I'm already thinking about a 315# attempt in the morning but it'll be the last of the month. Next week is all about the deadz and squats before heading into the deload week. I feeling pretty good and not really in need of a deload so I'm going to drop the weights down but do some high rep work on those last sets. Seems like a ok plan.

your getting it flint...keep it up.

Thanks alex!

i was like...gee, that guy looks just like FLEX. it IS FLEX. :p
that's quite a deep drop, with the pause. :eek: wow. i will have to practice that.

happy saturday, silly. ;)

lol, thanks WEG! :)

nice bench! mirin for sure. and you definately have the leg drive going.

Hey man, thanks. I got the leg drive but if you have your legs back enough you're not supposed to be able to raise your butt. I need to go back and read a few things to figure out what's going on.

Whoever it is, he's dead sexy. ;)

My goal for this year is squat 4 plates exactly like you're doing in that vid man.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love my Saturday morning workouts at the gym!

Legs
Leg Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10, 540x8, 630x6, 540x8, 450x10, 360x12, 270x15
Squats- Barx5, 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 275x3
Seated Leg Extension (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10
Seated Leg Curls (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10
HS Seated Shrugs PWO- 90x10, 180x10, 270x5, 270x5, 180x10
Preacher curls- 50x10, 65x10, 80x8, 95x6

Core – Weighted Crunches x 10 sets

Diet totals for 1-14-12: 2439 total, 319g P, 79g C, 78g F

Getsum
01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
My body weight was 209.0# this morning so I lost 1.4# last week. I was only able to get 265x4 today, I hit the j hook on like the 3rd rep and that always throws me off. I need to make sure my head it directly under the bar before lifting off. I was hoping to get 5 or 6 reps, oh well. Anyway, these are my last bench attempts until the heavy week next month.

This week I’m going to try for some PR attempts on my deadz and squats and I’ll probably use Friday for an extra attempt on deadz if I don’t get it Tuesday and then Saturday for an extra attempt on Squats if I don’t get it on Thursday. I’m trying to be very patient with my squats because depth is far more important to me than weight.

1-15-12 265x4 @ 209.0# BW
jbXsB99glyw

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx10, 135x3, 185x3, 210x5, 235x3, 265x4, 315xfail (I’m not ready for this, next month)
CGBP- 135x10, 155x10
Incline Bench- 135x10, 155x10
Dips- BW+25x5, BW+25x5
Triceps Extension- 65x15, 65x15

Diet totals for 1-15-12: 2261 total, 280g P, 84g C, 87g F

Snapshot of my diet for week #2:

Total Calories for Week #1- 16,560
Average Cal per day- 2366
Protein per day- 260g
Carbs per day- 143g
Fat per day- 73g
Weight lost- 1.4#

hazto
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok man, what weight are you targeting for your deads & squats this week?

Getsum
01-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Ok man, what weight are you targeting for your deads & squats this week?

Well, my current PR on squats is 370 from last month so, 372.5 or 375. I had a couple of fail attempts last month on 375.

For the deadz, I pulled 385 without straps and 405 with straps last month. I'd really like to pull that 405 without straps but I'm thinking of starting with 390 and working up from there. I have some chalk now and I'm hoping that helps with the grip issues.

I don't know if it was my really low carbs yesterday, but I feeling beat this morning. I had a bowl of cereal before leaving the house this morning so my carbs should be a bit higher today. I'm thinking between 150g to 200g is a better idea. Blood sugar has been outstanding though and I haven't needed any insulin so far this year. It's a balancing act.

SeaSiren
01-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Popping in to see you! Great training and nutrition plan, well done. You will meet your goals, I have no doubt :)

alex2363
01-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Flint, you getting it. The diet looks superb and the cardio looks tight.

Getsum
01-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Popping in to see you! Great training and nutrition plan, well done. You will meet your goals, I have no doubt :)

Hi Denise and thank you! :)

Flint, you getting it. The diet looks superb and the cardio looks tight.

Thanks Alex!

---------------------------------------------------

Today was a cardio only day for me

Diet totals for 1-16-12: 2462 total, 273g P, 167g C, 76g F

whatevergirl
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
That's great news that you don't need your insulin anymore. :)

did you enter the 2012 deadlift comp on here? if not...you should.

cowboybiker
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Bench vid is looking good.
Hoping to get there soon.
Good luck with the 315

Getsum
01-17-2012, 07:24 AM
That's great news that you don't need your insulin anymore. :)

did you enter the 2012 deadlift comp on here? if not...you should.

Thanks WEG.

I'm in the comp but deadz are my lagging lift. I'd have to add over a 100 pounds to them just to be competitive but it's all for fun.

Bench vid is looking good.
Hoping to get there soon.
Good luck with the 315

Thanks CB!

I'm sure you will man, bench normally goes up fairly fast.

Bo_Flecks
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Well, my current PR on squats is 370 from last month so, 372.5 or 375.

That's movin' some weight there, Flint. And you ain't doin' no quarter squats, either!

whatevergirl
01-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks WEG.

I'm in the comp but deadz are my lagging lift. I'd have to add over a 100 pounds to them just to be competitive but it's all for fun.

i just looked at the comp thread, and the last guy who posted looks like he would be competition for you...
anyways. good luck--while all in fun...it would be cool to come in first place for sure! :D

ChocoChick
01-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Blood sugar has been outstanding though and I haven't needed any insulin so far this year. It's a balancing act.

Best news of all! Are you taking Metformin or other oral meds?

Getsum
01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
That's movin' some weight there, Flint. And you ain't doin' no quarter squats, either!

Thanks Steve.

My squats have come a long way but I'm still not really happy with my depth when I go for heavier singles. It'll come though, just need to be patient.

pEzuC5UoM8g

i just looked at the comp thread, and the last guy who posted looks like he would be competition for you...
anyways. good luck--while all in fun...it would be cool to come in first place for sure! :D

Yeah. I plan increasing my deadz to where I feel they should be at. It's always been a problem lift for me but I'm feeling a lot better about them overall. Sumo is the ticket, I'm looking forward to getting home.

Best news of all! Are you taking Metformin or other oral meds?

Thanks CC!

I've been on and off them so many times that I've actually come to accept the fact that if I'm going over 200lbs I'll be on them. There's a lot of people that are able to go on slow and controlled bulks and I have serious trouble with that. I'm lacking in discipline to be honest with myself.

Right now I'm taking two time released metformin, 500mg each. I'll try dropping myself off of one of them when I get closer to 200 and if that goes well, I'll stop the other. I go back to see my endocrinologist the beginning of April and I'm hoping to around 195ish by then.

ironwill2008
01-17-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't know if it was my really low carbs yesterday, but I feeling beat this morning. I had a bowl of cereal before leaving the house this morning so my carbs should be a bit higher today. I'm thinking between 150g to 200g is a better idea. Blood sugar has been outstanding though and I haven't needed any insulin so far this year. It's a balancing act.

Could very well have been the low carbs.

mharrislove
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks Steve.

My squats have come a long way but I'm still not really happy with my depth when I go for heavier singles. It'll come though, just need to be patient.

You got that right; keep chipping away...

Getsum
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Could very well have been the low carbs.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was. Going that low on a lifting day is rough.

You got that right; keep chipping away...

That's the plan!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I’m using 3 days of vacation this week so instead of doing my assistance work tonight, I’m going into the gym first thing in the morning for the rest of my back and biceps work.

I was able to get 395 on deadz tonight without straps so that’s 10 pounds over my previous PR. I was trying like hell to do better but each fail attempt just got worse; I got more movement out of the 415 than the two attempts at 405. It was probably a mistake to go for the 415 before trying the 405 but that 395 seemed to come up easy. I don’t know. I’ll try for 405 first on Saturday and then 415 if I get it. This one lift drives me crazy faster than anything, there’s just so much of a mental game to it that I’m either on or off. If there’s a positive note in here it’s that the chalk seems to have resolved my grip issues.

1-17-12 395x1 @ 209.0# BW
OMmrxyDx4-A

Deadz
Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 310x3, 345x2, 365x1, 395x1, 415xfail, 405xfailed twice

Diet totals for 1-17-12: 2414 total, 231g P, 155g C, 97g F

Getsum
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
I went to the gym first thing this morning.

Cardio- 10 minutes on the AMT

Back & Biceps
T-Bar Rows PWO- 45x5, 90x5, 135x5, 135x5, 135x5
Seated Row- 130x5, 145x5, 160x5, 175x5, 190x5
Lat Pull Downs- 130x5, 145x5, 160x5
Underhand Cable Pull downs- 130x5, 145x5, 160x5
Preacher curls- 50x15, 65x12, 80x10, 95x5
Triceps Pushdown- 50x15, 60x10, 70x10, 80x10
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 25x10, 27.5x10, 27.5x10
Wrist curls (per arm)- 25x20, 27.5x10, 27.5x10

Core Ė Weighted Crunches x 10 sets

Cardio Ė 20 minutes on the elliptical

Diet totals for 1-18-12: 2258 total, 218g P, 117g C, 100g F

A quick edit. I had the day off and was reviewing my labs today and just want to post them for future reference. Everything is continuing to look good but I'm really expecting big improvements this year with my diet being dialed in the my workout program being the best it's probably ever been. I'm really proud of that HDL Cholesterol reading as it's incredibly difficult to raise but it will rise as the result of exercise. I've been trying to get that reading over 35 since I was first diagnosed with diabetes at 28 years old. For those that don't know, I was denied life insurance at 28 and when I went in for the physical because of it, I found out I had diabetes, my HDL was 9, my Triglycerides were over 2800 and I was a complete mess. Basically a stroke or heart attack waiting to happen which isn't good for a dude with 3 kids. I've fought for my improvements and I'm still around with 10 grandkids now. I'm hoping to have a bunch of great grandkids before they stick me in the ground. lol, Christmas is rough enough now, it's really going to be crazy with the great grandkids! :eek:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/BB%20Progress/CurrentLabs.jpg

hazto
01-19-2012, 05:06 AM
Great job on keeping everything under controll, diet & workout. It's amazing what one can do with determination.

ironwill2008
01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
.... thereís just so much of a mental game to it
QFT.

Looking at it from a percentage standpoint, a 10-pound increase on a 400 pound lift is almost inconsequential, but just the slightest doubt can be all it takes to keep the bar on the floor.

...... reviewing my labs today and just want to post them for future reference. Everything is continuing to look good

That's BIG, G. The vast majority of people dealing with the same issue just give up, and refuse to fight back.

Getsum
01-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Great job on keeping everything under controll, diet & workout. It's amazing what one can do with determination.

Thanks Hazto! It's been a great start to the year for sure.

QFT.

Looking at it from a percentage standpoint, a 10-pound increase on a 400 pound lift is almost inconsequential, but just the slightest doubt can be all it takes to keep the bar on the floor.

That's BIG, G. The vast majority of people dealing with the same issue just give up, and refuse to fight back.

Thank Bill!

I'm trying to find that on/off switch for my CNS lol. A few people say grip it and rip it but I don't think I'm there yet.

People do give up and I can understand their frustration, especially with all the bogus information floating around practically everywhere you look. The important thing to simply keep trying, two steps forward and one step back still makes progress in the long run.

One of my favorite songs to remind myself to get the hell back up! :D

2H5uWRjFsGc

Hibiscus09
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Yay about your labs! That's absolutely fantastic!! Good job! :)

Nice job on your workout. Does your gym have a machine for t-bars rows? My first gym did and I loved that machine. It was plate loaded, not pin plate and a pretty cool set up. Anyhoo, there's not one in my current gym and I really don't want to take an Olympic bar to the corner. They would probably say something to me anyway if I tried. :p

Getsum
01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Yay about your labs! That's absolutely fantastic!! Good job! :)

Nice job on your workout. Does your gym have a machine for t-bars rows? My first gym did and I loved that machine. It was plate loaded, not pin plate and a pretty cool set up. Anyhoo, there's not one in my current gym and I really don't want to take an Olympic bar to the corner. They would probably say something to me anyway if I tried. :p

Thanks Hibby! :)

I normally just do BOR or Pendlay rows at home with my Olympic bar but the t-Bars and seated rows are two that I really enjoy. My gym has two plate loaded t-bar machines and they also have one of those anchor deals so you can do them with the Olympic bar.

I'd like to get one of these for home:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/A06N_1_20111121_270251.jpg

-=FLEX=-
01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
My last gym had an absolutely PERFECT T-Bar row setup. Excellent platform, 3 handle positions.

My new gym has the absolute worst T-Bar set-up ever. Platform just seems.....wrong, and the close paralell grip handles are too far out front to use. So for me it's wide grip or nothing.

Keep killing it in here.

orca
01-19-2012, 06:19 PM

Back & Biceps

good work here. pounding that back.....your bench numbers will appreciate it.

A quick edit. I had the day off and was reviewing my labs today and just want to post them for future reference. Everything is continuing to look good but I'm really expecting big improvements this year with my diet being dialed in the my workout program being the best it's probably ever been. I'm really proud of that HDL Cholesterol reading as it's incredibly difficult to raise but it will rise as the result of exercise. I've been trying to get that reading over 35 since I was first diagnosed with diabetes at 28 years old. For those that don't know, I was denied life insurance at 28 and when I went in for the physical because of it, I found out I had diabetes, my HDL was 9, my Triglycerides were over 2800 and I was a complete mess. Basically a stroke or heart attack waiting to happen which isn't good for a dude with 3 kids. I've fought for my improvements and I'm still around with 10 grandkids now. I'm hoping to have a bunch of great grandkids before they stick me in the ground. lol, Christmas is rough enough now, it's really going to be crazy with the great grandkids! :eek:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/BB%20Progress/CurrentLabs.jpg

10 grand kids at 43......I'm thinking you be around to see great great grand kids.

Getsum
01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
My last gym had an absolutely PERFECT T-Bar row setup. Excellent platform, 3 handle positions.

My new gym has the absolute worst T-Bar set-up ever. Platform just seems.....wrong, and the close paralell grip handles are too far out front to use. So for me it's wide grip or nothing.

Keep killing it in here.

The T-Bar machine at 24hr has two handle positions I like the narrower grips myself.

Thanks man, that's the plan!

good work here. pounding that back.....your bench numbers will appreciate it.

10 grand kids at 43......I'm thinking you be around to see great great grand kids.

Thanks Kevin! I really hope so, those little ones really keep me going.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m at a complete loss for words, I really wasn’t expecting to do this well. I just stopped at 390 because I was getting a bit shaky racking the weight and needed to eat. Energy and focus were both outstanding this morning. I think the Beta-Cret did its job. It mixed really well and tasted pretty good as well. I think the knee wraps helped as well, my knees have never felt so good doing heavier singles.

1-19-12 365x1 @ 209.0 BW
v9nPB4ROHNY

1-19-12 372.5x1 @ 209.0 BW
z6oOuV4WBLs

1-19-12 380x1 @ 209.0 BW
4U0vuetrw-Y

1-19-12 390x1 @ 209.0 BW
f5cAzY5LGos

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 250x5, 285x3, 315x1, 345x1, 365x1, 372.5x1 (new PR), 380x1 (new PR), 390x1 (new PR)
Box Squats- 225x3, 225x3, 225x3
SLDL- 200x5, 200x5, 200x5

Diet totals for 1-19-12: 2451 total, 267g P, 147g C, 87g F

alex2363
01-19-2012, 10:33 PM
flint, i left a comment on your youtube channel.

Hibiscus09
01-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks Hibby! :)

I normally just do BOR or Pendlay rows at home with my Olympic bar but the t-Bars and seated rows are two that I really enjoy. My gym has two plate loaded t-bar machines and they also have one of those anchor deals so you can do them with the Olympic bar.

I'd like to get one of these for home:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/A06N_1_20111121_270251.jpg

Cool. I've not seen one of those for a home gym.

Keep killing it in here.

We had the same setup at my first gym. Great t-bar row -- three hand positions -- with platform. I loved it.

My current gym has nada.

ChocoChick
01-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Back & Biceps

Am I supposed to be able to see those charts? :eek:

I hear you on the grandkids and great-grandkids. I cant wait!!! :) :)

Getsum
01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
flint, i left a comment on your youtube channel.

Thanks Alex, I saw it man.

Cool. I've not seen one of those for a home gym.

We had the same setup at my first gym. Great t-bar row -- three hand positions -- with platform. I loved it.

My current gym has nada.

That's lame your current gym doesn't have one. I'd like to add that gizmo to my collection eventually. I'm saving my aluminum cans and spare change for a leg press this year.

Am I supposed to be able to see those charts? :eek:

I hear you on the grandkids and great-grandkids. I cant wait!!! :) :)

Sorry they're so small, I thought putting them on a single image was a good idea...I'll back it bigger next time.

I got my workout done first thing in the morning. I pretty much have all my new maxes set for when I restart my 5/3/1 program after this deload. I went with 90% of my current maxes for the first 4 weeks like they recommend and I’ll be 100% or them this time around. Anyway, I still hoping I can pull 405# on deadz in the morning so we’ll see. Deload for this first run through starts Sunday regardless.

1-20-12 150x7 Shoulder Press
0mwj2Pxt0EM

Shoulders
Standing BB Shoulder Press- barx5, 75x5, 95x3, 120x5, 135x3, 150x7
Behind the Back Shrug- 135x10, 135x10, 135x5, 135x10
Standing Shrugs- 225x10, 225x10, 225x10, 225x10
Upright rows- 75x10, 75x10, 75x10, 75x10

Diet totals for 1-20-12: 2407 total, 279g P, 117g C, 95g F

alex2363
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Flint, your getting stronger. That S/P was effortless....What is your current weight? Are you losing any wieght at your diet of 2400? If I was at 2400 calories I would have lost like 50 pounds by now. I'm at 3000 cals at maintnance and steady holding at 191 pnds.

Bo_Flecks
01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Cool! This journal is getting technical. That is right up my alley!

Getsum
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Flint, your getting stronger. That S/P was effortless....What is your current weight? Are you losing any wieght at your diet of 2400? If I was at 2400 calories I would have lost like 50 pounds by now. I'm at 3000 cals at maintnance and steady holding at 191 pnds.

Thanks Alex. I've been losing just over a pound a week since the beginning of the year. I can live with this pace. 2300 calories has been my cutting target for years and I'm actually doing really well with 2400 and only 30 minutes of cardio.

Cool! This journal is getting technical. That is right up my alley!

Thanks Steve, I'm trying!

I need to get my head screwed on straight. I'm in the middle of my workout right now and everything is feeling heavy.

I don't want to accept that some days you have 'it' and other days you don't. I need to figure this out. Grip it and rip it. Geez, there has to be a trick for this. I've been reading through journals, watching lifting vids, I've had my coffee and Beta-Cret, the music is going.

For motivation:
S9L5XJta3Ag

whatevergirl
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Graphs? Videos? This journal is becoming quite the specimen. :D
Really great work, getsum.
The back and bicep workout was really lengthy...wow.
Your journal is truly inspiring. Have a nice weekend! :)

alex2363
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
That is good, my diet is bulking type of diet (2900 to 3500), im at 189 to 195 all year til the late spring.

Getsum
01-21-2012, 07:13 PM
Graphs? Videos? This journal is becoming quite the specimen. :D
Really great work, getsum.
The back and bicep workout was really lengthy...wow.
Your journal is truly inspiring. Have a nice weekend! :)

Thanks WEG!

I'm working my butt off to improve on those lab results.

You have a great weekend as well!

That is good, my diet is bulking type of diet (2900 to 3500), im at 189 to 195 all year til the late spring.

That's really good Alex.

I'm around there myself when I'm bulking (3000ish) and about 2700ish for maintaining. I'm not planning on bulking at all until really late this year and when I do I'd like shot for around 2850ish so I don't go up too fast. I had no business letting myself get this far over 200lbs. I'm really not sure how low I'm going in body weight either but I'm assuming it'll be down to around 182 pounds, possibly a bit lower. I was looking pretty lean at 186lbs this past July and probably had about 5 more pounds to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I tried like hell to push myself into lifting that 405 today and I’m absolutely frustrated with it. I had it coming up on one attempt and gave up on it and that just kills me. I’m going to have to settle for my 395 and just try again next month. I was able to get 395 on squats today and that’s cool. I failed on 400, it’s just too heavy.

Tomorrow starts my deload and I’m actually looking forward to it, I need a break from the heavier stuff.

1-21-12 405xfail
6jfRpyy-C70

1-21-12 395x1 @ 209.0 BW
cMKfEgtFfK4

1-21-12 400xfail
Qon-YihJmCk

Sumo Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 295x3, 345x1, 365x1, 385x1, 405xfail on two attempts
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 225x3, 295x3, 365x1, 395x1 (new PR), 400xfail

Diet totals for 1-21-12: 2271 total, 230g P, 88g C, 109g F

orca
01-22-2012, 05:45 PM
You're really kickin azz in here Flint. Very strong work. congrats on the squat PR. you'll nail both the 4 plate dl and squat in no time.

If you continue to lift like this you'l need to invest in some more 45's. :D

Getsum
01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
You're really kickin azz in here Flint. Very strong work. congrats on the squat PR. you'll nail both the 4 plate dl and squat in no time.

If you continue to lift like this you'l need to invest in some more 45's. :D

Thanks Kevin.

I was able to get my combined total over 1100 and I'm pretty happy about that. Now begins the long road to 1200 and I think my biggest gains should come from my deadz as there just not where they should in relation to my other lifts. I've already decided to add rack pulls back in after this deload so I'll end up doing those on Friday most likely before my shoulder workout or I'm considering moving shoulders to Wednesdays. I'm still thinking about it.

I have enough weight now to go load the bar close to 600# so it'll be a while before I actually need some 45's. I'm saving for a leg press/hack squat this year and I'd like to get some additional plates then though.

It's my son's 25th birthday today so we had a bunch of people over and a house full of kids. I ended up following the games more than actually watching them. My BIL and his family are out from Texarkana and I had 8 of my grandkids over today, plus my nephew and niece that I haven't meet until today. Here's a pic we managed to get of them all together, no easy task.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/015.jpg

It's a regular romper room! :eek:

I weighed in at 207.8lbs this morning so that’s another 1.2lbs I lost this week. Today starts my deload so it was short and sweet.

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5
CGBP- 135x5, 135x5
Incline Bench- 135x5, 135x5
Dips- BWx10, BWx10
Triceps Extension- 65x5, 65x5

Diet totals for 1-22-12: 2157 total, 291g P, 50g C, 83g F

Snapshot of my diet for week #3:

Total Calories for Week #3- 16,524
Average Cal per day- 2361
Protein per day- 254g
Carbs per day- 119g
Fat per day- 93g
Weight lost- 1.2#

alex2363
01-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Nice family Flint.....good weight loss too.

cactusflower
01-23-2012, 04:58 AM
I love the pic of the kiddies! They look like they are having fun and can't wait to start running around again :)

Great job on the weight loss! :D

Swann74
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I've been doing a lot of praising on the PRs (congrats on the 395, btw! :D ), but equally important and impressive is how you've managed your bodyweight and lab-test levels. Really good stuff all around Flint. And like CF, I loved the pic of the kids!

Getsum
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Nice family Flint.....good weight loss too.

Thanks Alex!

The weight loss has been steady, I hope it continues.

I love the pic of the kiddies! They look like they are having fun and can't wait to start running around again :)

Great job on the weight loss! :D

Thank you CF!

They're a handful but also a lot of fun. They had a great time, it's hilarious watching them play on the Wii.

I've been doing a lot of praising on the PRs (congrats on the 395, btw! :D ), but equally important and impressive is how you've managed your bodyweight and lab-test levels. Really good stuff all around Flint. And like CF, I loved the pic of the kids!

Thanks John.

I woke up around 2 in the morning and was crazy hungry so I ended up eating a bowl of cereal. When I took my blood sugar reading at 0500 it was a perfect 101 so the program is working as intended.

ChocoChick
01-23-2012, 02:30 PM
It's my son's 25th birthday today so we had a bunch of people over and a house full of kids. I ended up following the games more than actually watching them. My BIL and his family are out from Texarkana and I had 8 of my grandkids over today, plus my nephew and niece that I haven't meet until today. Here's a pic we managed to get of them all together, no easy task.

What a nice looking group! :)

Watch it - you're dating yourself! :eek: :p

Getsum
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
What a nice looking group! :)

Watch it - you're dating yourself! :eek: :p

Thanks CC!

Yeah, lol...I guess I am.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was just some cardio and a refeed day.

Diet totals for 1-23-12: 2769 total, 234g P, 214g C, 102g F

whatevergirl
01-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Love the pic of everyone, above. aw. :o Hope your Monday was a good one, Getsum. :)

Getsum
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Love the pic of everyone, above. aw. :o Hope your Monday was a good one, Getsum. :)

Thanks WEG!

--------------------------------------------------

Another deload workout.

Deadlifts- 135x5, 135x5, 185x5, 185x5, 225x5, 225x5
Chin ups- Assistedx2, Assistedx2
BOR- 135x5, 135x5
EZ Bar curls- 75x5, 75x5
Dumbbell Hammer curls (per arm)- 25x5, 25x5
Wrist curls (per arm)- 25x20, 25x20

Diet totals for 1-24-12: 2493 total, 198g P, 197g C, 93g F

rhino1964
01-25-2012, 06:40 AM
Lookin' good in here!

Bo_Flecks
01-25-2012, 11:01 AM
...I had 8 of my grandkids over today, plus my nephew and niece that I haven't meet until today. Here's a pic we managed to get of them all together, no easy task.

Your grandkids look to be the age of my children... and I am six years older than you. Sheesh... I'll never retire. :(

Great lookin' family, Flint!

mharrislove
01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Great job on the 395, bro! We are watching the creation of another Squatmonster around here!

Getsum
01-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Lookin' good in here!

Thanks Rhino! It's good to see you posting man!

Your grandkids look to be the age of my children... and I am six years older than you. Sheesh... I'll never retire. :(

Great lookin' family, Flint!

Thanks Steve.

I have the 4 older grandkids over tonight for dinner. They're really easy to watch, pretty much do their own thing.

Great job on the 395, bro! We are watching the creation of another Squatmonster around here!

Thanks MH.

I'm feeling good about my bench and squat right now but not so hot about my deadz. I just feel they should be a lot higher than they are. Anyway, tomorrow is my last deload workout and then I'm adding some heavy rack pulls in on Fridays. My plan is start off at the lowest pin and just get my CNS ready and used to the heavier load and hopefully that will carry over the my deadz on Tuesdays. It should also help with my grip but since getting the chalk, it really hasn't been an issue. I'm still using straps on the higher rep pulls but the singles are strapless. I don't know.

------------------------------------------------------------

I just some did cardio today, squats tomorrow.

Diet totals for 1-25-12: 2365 total, 230g P, 186g C, 70g F

Getsum
01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Ok, in addition to rack pulls, I'm going to add in Goodmornings and really stick with this year.

Posting this link for future reference: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/good_mornings.htm

AgqNu9JsVEs

ArchAngel'73
01-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I liked the vid when you failed the best out of them all.

Why?

Because it demonstrates dog assed determination.
I do not need to see anymore though so you keep right on succeeding!! :p

Swann74
01-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Good job adding in the Good Mornings. Lame name for a lift, but the benefits of GMs are incredible. I expect they'll fortify both your squats and deadz.

Getsum
01-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I liked the vid when you failed the best out of them all.

Why?

Because it demonstrates dog assed determination.
I do not need to see anymore though so you keep right on succeeding!! :p

Thanks Brian!

I'm trying my best to make some gains and they don't always come easy. My training is starting off pretty well this year, I can't complain but I can want more, a lot more.

Good job adding in the Good Mornings. Lame name for a lift, but the benefits of GMs are incredible. I expect they'll fortify both your squats and deadz.

Yeah John, thanks man. I'm really hoping they do exactly that. I makes no sense to me that my deadlifts aren't considerably higher than my squats and I'm going to work on correcting that issue big time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off, this monthly deload just isnít working out for me. I have no problem stepping back and cutting the weight and upping the reps but to cut the weight and decrease the volume just feels like I wasted a week. My plan going forward is to use my deload week as a higher rep week (8-12 reps) while still getting in enough volume for a good workout. I'll do an actual deload or a week off when my lifts are hitting a wall and really need it.

Iím very pleased with the job I did with the goodmornings today but I have a bad feeling that Iím going to be incredibly sore tomorrow. I really felt these in my lower back and for some reason, my left hamstring. The right was just fine. Anyway, these things are just brutal.

1-26-12 225x10 depth check
zetsfJgT51I

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx10, 135x10, 185x10, 225x10
Box Squats- 225x5, 225x5, 225x5
Calf Raises- 245x10, 245x10, 245x10
Goodmornings- Barx10, 65x10, 85x10, 95x10, 105x10, 115x10, 135x10
SLDL- 220x5, 220x5, 220x5

Cardio Ė 30 minutes on the elliptical

Diet totals for 1-26-12: 2320 total, 275g P, 154g C, 65g F

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iíve ironed a few things out, Iím adding rack pulls and good mornings in and Iím using 100% of my current maxes for this next cycle of the 5/3/1. Looking at the chart, this doesnít look easy at all and I would be surprised at all if I have to stick with these numbers for an extra month. I do that it will not be from a lack of trying though.

Current Stats
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/BB%20Progress/Currentstatsfor5312ndcycle.jpg

Current PRs from January 2012
DGEaUZweleU

Routine Wendlerís 5/3/1

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/flintdb68/BB%20Progress/531programfor2ndcycle.jpg

Bench (Chest & Triceps)- Sunday
*Flat Bench-
CGBP-
Incline Bench-
Weighted Dips-
Triceps Extension-

Deadlift (Back & Biceps)- Tuesday
*Dead lifts-
BOR-
Pull/Chins-
EZ Bar curls-
Dumbbell Hammer curls-
Wrist curls-

Squats (Legs)- Thursday
*Squats-
Box Squats-
BB Calf Raise-
Goodmornings- (theyíre here for now, might move to Friday)
Stiff-Legged Barbell Dead lift-

Rack Pulls & Shoulder Press (Shoulders & Traps)- Friday
*Shoulder Press- (I might move these to Wednesdays)
Rack Pulls-
Upright Row- (I might move these to Wednesdays)
Shoulder shrugs-
Laterals- (I might move these to Wednesdays)

Gym DayĖ (optional gym about day twice a month)
Leg press-
Calf Raises-
Squats- (because every day is a good day to squat)
Seated Leg Extension-
Lying Leg curls or Hamtractor-
T-Bar rows-
Seated rows-
Wide-Grip Lat Pull downs-
Underhand Cable Pull downs-
Weighted Crunches-

Cardio Daily Ė 30 minute combined total minimum (Walking, recumbent bike, elliptical, yard work, whatever)

http://www.strstd.com/

alex2363
01-27-2012, 12:31 AM
Flint your almost elite level lifter....

Hibiscus09
01-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Nice job, Flint! Nice video too. We listen to very different music when we're exercising. :D I imagine 80% of lifters would hate mine. I might as well be at a club dancing. :p I've never done a de-load or even read up on one much to know what the science is behind it. I imagine in seriously heavy lifting, the body needs a break some. Are Mondays/Wednesdays/Saturdays complete rest days for you other than the occasional "Gym Day"?

Happy Friday!

Getsum
01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Flint your almost elite level lifter....

Thanks Alex.

I've got a long way to go before I get to that level man. When I plug in a 182lb body weight into that chart, the levels seem like they might be achievable with a few more years of solid training though. I'd really like to get down around that weight and then just focus on strength training. Maybe do a comp at some point in the 45-49 age bracket. We shall see.

Nice job, Flint! Nice video too. We listen to very different music when we're exercising. :D I imagine 80% of lifters would hate mine. I might as well be at a club dancing. :p I've never done a de-load or even read up on one much to know what the science is behind it. I imagine in seriously heavy lifting, the body needs a break some. Are Mondays/Wednesdays/Saturdays complete rest days for you other than the occasional "Gym Day"?

Happy Friday!

Thanks Diane and Happy Friday! :)

I actually listen to all kinds of different music from Metal, Country, Hip Hop to Rap (got into rap while boxing). For lifting though, I like the heavier Metal. My wife and daughters like to dance so they listen to Hip Hop most the the time. My son is like me and listens to all kinds of stuff. Umm, I don't really have a complete rest day because I'm doing some cardio daily while cutting. Mondays and Wednesdays are off from lifting right now. I have a 2.5 to 3 hour window between the time I get home from work and when my wife gets home so I just use it for lifting or getting homework done when I was taking my classes. Anyway, as long as I'm sleeping good at night, I have no problems lifting close to daily. If my sleep schedule gets screwed up, I'll end up taking naps after work.

ironwill2008
01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Good work in here, G-Man. That 10-rep set of Squats looked good!

Getsum
01-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Good work in here, G-Man. That 10-rep set of Squats looked good!

Thanks Bill, they've really come a long way. The goodmornings felt good as well, my back wasn't nearly as sore as I thought it was going to be.

I was hoping to do a lot better on the rack pulls this afternoon but it just wasn’t happening. I had a pretty hard day at work today and I think it just took its toll on me. I’m planning on hitting the gym first thing in the morning for legs.

Shoulders
Standing BB Shoulder Press- barx10, 95x10, 115x10
Rack Pulls (pin #1)- 135x5, 225x5, 295x5, 365x3
Upright rows- 75x10, 75x10

Diet totals for 1-27-12: 2464 total, 233g P, 202g C, 72g F

Getsum
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
I couldn’t drag myself out of bed this morning and ended up sleeping in until 0900. I finally made into the gym later in the afternoon and then did my cardio when I got back, pretty decent workout today. My blood sugar was 93 when I got back from the gym; things are looking better across the board.

Legs/Back/other stuff
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 225x5, 225x5, 275x3, 275x3
Seated Leg Extension (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10
Seated Leg Curls (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10, #10x10, #10x10
T-Bar Rows PWO- 45x5, 90x5, 135x5, 135x5
Seated Row- 145x5, 160x5, 175x5
Lat Pull Downs- 145x5, 160x5
Underhand Cable Pull downs- 145x5, 160x5
Preacher curls- 50x10, 65x10, 80x10

Diet totals for 1-28-12: 2688 total, 321g P, 112g C, 103g F

Getsum
01-29-2012, 06:16 PM
I weighed in at 207.4# this morning and that means I only lost 0.4# last week. I need to tighten up the calories just a bit, keeping them closer to a 2300 average should do the trick. My legs were crazy sore from yesterday and I had to take a couple Motrin just to get going on my chest workout. I was able to get 265x6 today and I’m pretty happy about that.

1-29-12 265x6
OptZ2nRMft4

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 205x5, 235x5, 265x6
CGBP- 135x5, 185x5, 185x5
Incline Bench- 135x5, 185x5, 185x5
Dips- BWx5, BW+25x5, BW+25x5

Diet totals for 1-29-12: 2465 total, 220g P, 167g C, 96g F

Snapshot of my diet for week #4:

Total Calories for Week #4- 17,283
Average Cal per day- 2469
Protein per day- 255g
Carbs per day- 159g
Fat per day- 84g
Weight lost- 0.4#

orca
01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
nice strong work. congrats on the 265 x 6....excellent numbers.

flat6nut
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Mirin mine? Dude...your getting some work done up in here! You have also progressed alot since I have known you.

Didnt realize your name was Flint...aware now.

Swann74
01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Nice work as usual Flint. Looks like you are continuing to ride a great wave of progress. Awesome.

ironwill2008
01-30-2012, 08:42 AM
^^^^This, for sure. Over 5 reps = money in the bank.

ChocoChick
01-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Wow - your next 5-3-1 run looks brutal. Knowing you, you'll nail it, too. ;)

Getsum
01-30-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks Kevin. I was worried about that last set but ended doing alright.

Mirin mine? Dude...your getting some work done up in here! You have also progressed alot since I have known you.

Didnt realize your name was Flint...aware now.

Thanks man, I'm hoping the progress continues.

Nice work as usual Flint. Looks like you are continuing to ride a great wave of progress. Awesome.

Thanks John.

^^^^This, for sure. Over 5 reps = money in the bank.

Thank you Bill.

Wow - your next 5-3-1 run looks brutal. Knowing you, you'll nail it, too. ;)

Thanks CC.

This month's 5/3/1 does look brutal and I'm a bit concerned about being able to hit all those sets. If I don't I'm most likely just going to keep these numbers and run another month with it. I don't know, I was really worried about that last set on bench yesterday and ended up doing alright so I'll just see how it goes.

alex2363
01-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Flint, maybe your lack of weight loss is due to water weight, you cant possibly not lose weight at your 2400 k's diet. 3500 k cals you maintain, 3000 cals less at your workout level you should be burning calories in your sleep.

Swann74
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Flint, maybe your lack of weight loss is due to water weight, you cant possibly not lose weight at your 2400 k's diet. 3500 k cals you maintain, 3000 cals less at your workout level you should be burning calories in your sleep.

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense to me also. How's the sodium intake?

Getsum
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM

My maintenance is only around 2700 and I bulk easily at 3000+ (especially when I'm on insulin). 2300 calories has been my target for cutting for years and I can actually drop fat a lot faster just by upping either the intensity or duration of my cardio. I'm trying to go slower this year and so far it's been working great. Sure, last week was only 0.4# but I'm down 4.2# for the month and I'm really happy about that. There were a couple of months last year when I lost close to 12# in a month but I also started out around 228# in body weight.

Don't worry man because I'm not concerned at all. My average calories last week were 2469 so that's 169 over my target daily, or 1183 calories higher than I wanted for the week. If 3500 = 1 pound, then 1183 = .34 pounds. I'd like to keep my weight loss right around a pound a week for now but eventually drop it down so it's consistently under a pound a week. Probably when I'm around 195ish or so.

I hadn't thought of this, but it makes sense to me also. How's the sodium intake?

My sodium was higher than normal Thursday, Friday and Saturday but like I said above, I'm not very concerned about it so long as I'm continuing to head in the right direction. I'm trying to cut fat like I'm trying to increase my strength, baby steps. 2 steps forward and 1 step back still leads to progress over the long haul and it's going to be a long year. The one part of my diet that I really make sure I hit every day is my protein total and sometimes I'll go over my target calories to get it.

Anyway, thanks guys.

-------------------------------------------------------------

No lifting today, just some cardio.

Diet totals for 1-30-12: 2230 total, 216g P, 116g C, 89g F

alex2363
01-30-2012, 10:35 PM
My maintenance is only around 2700 and I bulk easily at 3000+ (especially when I'm on insulin). 2300 calories has been my target for cutting for years and I can actually drop fat a lot faster just by upping either the intensity or duration of my cardio. I'm trying to go slower this year and so far it's been working great. Sure, last week was only 0.4# but I'm down 4.2# for the month and I'm really happy about that. There were a couple of months last year when I lost close to 12# in a month but I also started out around 228# in body weight.

Don't worry man because I'm not concerned at all. My average calories last week were 2469 so that's 169 over my target daily, or 1183 calories higher than I wanted for the week. If 3500 = 1 pound, then 1183 = .34 pounds. I'd like to keep my weight loss right around a pound a week for now but eventually drop it down so it's consistently under a pound a week. Probably when I'm around 195ish or so.

My sodium was higher than normal Thursday, Friday and Saturday but like I said above, I'm not very concerned about it so long as I'm continuing to head in the right direction. I'm trying to cut fat like I'm trying to increase my strength, baby steps. 2 steps forward and 1 step back still leads to progress over the long haul and it's going to be a long year. The one part of my diet that I really make sure I hit every day is my protein total and sometimes I'll go over my target calories to get it.

Anyway, thanks guys.

-------------------------------------------------------------

No lifting today, just some cardio.

Diet totals for 1-30-12: 2230 total, 216g P, 116g C, 89g FOk, I see by your numbers and the way you feel that you are doing good, It sometimes is hard with stress and life's curve balls to stay on your strict diet game...but no worris, you look beastly with those weights, i cant even come close to your level yet. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK outs.

Getsum
01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Ok, I see by your numbers and the way you feel that you are doing good, It sometimes is hard with stress and life's curve balls to stay on your strict diet game...but no worris, you look beastly with those weights, i cant even come close to your level yet. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK outs.

Thanks Alex.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I felt pretty good today so I went all out on deadz. I was able to get 400 without straps so that’s progress but I failed on the 405 twice. 5 measly pounds and I did pull 405 back in December but it was with straps. I’m pretty happy about the 335x8 as well, I really wasn’t sure how I would do with them.

1-31-12 335x8
CIreZ_b8oyo

1-31-12 400x1
WC08vO19H5M

Deadz
Regular Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 255x5, 295x5, 335x8, 365x1, 400x1(no straps, pleased), 405xfail & fail again
BOR- 135x5, 155x5, 175x3, 185x3
EZ Bar curls- 75x10, 75x10, 75x10

Diet totals for 1-31-12: 2295 total, 252g P, 173g C, 64g F

Swann74
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Deadz
Regular Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 255x5, 295x5, 335x8, 365x1, 400x1(no straps, pleased), 405xfail & fail again

NIIIIICE! Great job on the strapless 400. Jelly again!

Getsum
02-01-2012, 11:27 PM
NIIIIICE! Great job on the strapless 400. Jelly again!

Thanks John. Your journal is looking pretty amazing as well, there's a few things in there that I'm envious about man.

No cardio or lifting today but I did end up buying a new Ford Fiesta.

Diet totals for 2-1-12: 2664 total, 295g P, 189g C, 79g F

Hibiscus09
02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Awesome deadlifts! :) Congrats!

Getsum
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Awesome deadlifts! :) Congrats!

Thanks Diane!

--------------------------------------------------------

I had to go with a shorter workout than I would have liked. I was up until 11:30 yesterday so I ended up taking a nap after work and then we had to drive to my daughter’s house to feed her dog while they’re camping. No cardio today and my calories have been slightly higher these past two days.

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x5, 295x5, 335x3 (just too tired today)
Box Squats- 225x5, 225x5
Calf Raises- 245x10, 245x10
Goodmornings- Barx10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x10
SLDL- 220x5, 220x5

Diet totals for 2-2-12: 2540 total, 234g P, 194g C, 108g F

SeaSiren
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
400, no straps .... sweet!

Getsum
02-03-2012, 09:53 PM
400, no straps .... sweet!

Thank you Denise!

------------------------------------------------------

I did better tonight. The weight is getting really heavy on my shoulder presses and I barely managed to get my 5 reps. I guess I did ok on the rack pulls. I could budge the 415 with regular stance so I switch to sumo and got it no problem. I did use straps on these but I plan to drop them out on the singles after a couple of weeks.

2-3-12 155x5
r7769zxeLWM

Shoulders
Standing BB Shoulder Press- barx10, 95x5, 120x5, 140x5, 155x5
Rack Pulls (pin #1)- 135x3, 225x3, 295x3, 365x3, 415xfail (regular stance), 415x1 (sumo)
Upright rows- 75x10, 75x10

Diet totals for 2-3-12: 2815 total, 243g P, 213g C, 110g F

alex2363
02-03-2012, 11:01 PM
flint, you doing great. I would do the straps until you get that good feel for it. you dont want to stress frac anything.

ChocoChick
02-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Add me to the list of folks admiring your deadlifts. I see 405 coming soon. :)

2nd_chance
02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Great job on the deads flint. Your back is looking swole in the vids.

Getsum
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
flint, you doing great. I would do the straps until you get that good feel for it. you dont want to stress frac anything.

Thanks Alex. That's what I was thinking with the straps, I'll use them to get my reps in and the weight up on the rack pulls and ditch them for the singles off the floor.

Add me to the list of folks admiring your deadlifts. I see 405 coming soon. :)

Thanks CC.

Great job on the deads flint. Your back is looking swole in the vids.

Thanks David.

I 'think' I've been on a good amount of muscle and I'm hoping it shows when I get back down in weight. I won't get there eating like I've been these past few days though, I need to get dialed back in.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I went to the gym this morning but felt rushed because I needed to get to work for a few hours. I just did legs today and I did some walking at the beach for cardio later in the afternoon.

Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 225x5, 225x5, 275x3
Leg Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10, 540x8, 630x6
Calf Press PWO- 270x15, 360x12, 450x10
Seated Leg Extension (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10
Seated Leg Curls (Hoist Machine)- Setting #10x10, #10x10

Diet totals for 2-4-12: 2976 total, 220g P, 237g C, 122g F

Getsum
02-05-2012, 09:02 PM
I weighed in at 208.2# this morning so I’m up 0.8# for the week. Calories were up and cardio was down so I was expecting this. Another short workout today, I had to go into work for a few hours this morning and then we went over to my brother’s house for the game in the afternoon. I was getting hamstring cramps during my benching today and that was really throwing things off a bit.

2-5-12 280x4 (failed on 5th)
42FiZZWgTI0

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 205x3, 220x3, 250x3, 280x4 (failed on 5th), 315x1 (no upward movement, it’s just too heavy)
CGBP- 135x5, 185x5
Incline Bench- 135x5, 185x5

Diet totals for 2-5-12: 2705 total, 273g P, 207g C, 75g F

Snapshot of my diet for week #5:

Total Calories for Week #5- 17,985
Average Cal per day- 2569
Protein per day- 240g
Carbs per day- 184g
Fat per day- 95g
Cardio per day- 20 minutes
Weight gained- 0.8#

alex2363
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
is fat too low? or is it me? i thin k its too low.

Getsum
02-06-2012, 06:45 AM
is fat too low? or is it me? i thin k its too low.

It's on the lower end of my scale but still fine. I use Emma-Leigh, Calculating Calorie Needs and Macronutrients: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

So for me at current body weight:

.35 Low end: 73g
.45 Mid Range (and my target): 94g
.55 High end: 114g or more

If you notice to my average for the week, it's 95g which is right were I want it. Don't pay attention to a single day, pay attention to the trends.

Getsum
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Crazy day at work, up at 0330, worked late…I’m exhausted. Today’s a rest day.

Diet totals for 2-6-12: 2886 total, 245g P, 184g C, 121g F

Hibiscus09
02-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Diet totals for 2-6-12: 2886 total, 245g P, 184g C, 121g F

Hope you rest up well! I've been exhausted the second half of today myself. I'm already in my jammies and about to watch a movie on my laptop. It's Brian's first monthly poker night with the boys, so I can do what I want. :D

I hope your Tuesday is more laid back!!

acrawlingchaos
02-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Looks like the 315 will be here well before spring. Excellent work.

Will you be making another attempt at the end of the month?

ironwill2008
02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Don't pay attention to a single day, pay attention to the trends.

^^^^This. The body's chemical processes don't turn on a dime; there's a lot of 'wiggle' room involved before anything drastic (such as catabolism, or the body's reaction to too little dietary fat) occurs.

Getsum
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Hope you rest up well! I've been exhausted the second half of today myself. I'm already in my jammies and about to watch a movie on my laptop. It's Brian's first monthly poker night with the boys, so I can do what I want. :D

I hope your Tuesday is more laid back!!

I'm all about chilling out and watching a movie, sounds like an excellent way to spend the evening!

Thank you Diane. Today was crazy as well.

Looks like the 315 will be here well before spring. Excellent work.

Will you be making another attempt at the end of the month?

Thanks Jeff. I'd really like to get some additional attempts in but to be honest, if I'm not seeing any upward movement then I'm probably not going to get the 315 this month. I normally get stuck about halfway up on a max attempt and then I'll want some additional attempts for sure. Right now I'm bringing the 315 down and it's just staying there.

^^^^This. The body's chemical processes don't turn on a dime; there's a lot of 'wiggle' room involved before anything drastic (such as catabolism, or the body's reaction to too little dietary fat) occurs.

Yep. My diet has been close to maintenance or even over these past couple of days but with the way work has been going, I'm in survival mode until next week.

It was another hard day at work and my brain is mush by the time I get home. I ended up taking a 90 minute nap and then worked out after that. My lower back was feeling really tight so I just wanted to get through my deadlifts, nothing extra tonight. I’m going to try to get some bicep work done tomorrow.

Deadz
Regular Stance Deadlifts- 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 355x3
BOR- 135x5, 155x5, 155x5

Diet totals for 2-7-12: 2756 total, 231g P, 196g C, 107g F

alex2363
02-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Diet totals for 2-6-12: 2886 total, 245g P, 184g C, 121g FI know that feelin Bro..i got up at 330am hit the gym and after 5pm i was just too tired to think. I am listening to my body and getting early to bed tonight.

^^^^This. The body's chemical processes don't turn on a dime; there's a lot of 'wiggle' room involved before anything drastic (such as catabolism, or the body's reaction to too little dietary fat) occurs.i understand, but i was concerned about the calories intake and fat intake, it seems like flint knows what hes doing so far.

bruceott
02-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I weighed in at 208.2# this morning so Iím up 0.8# for the week. Calories were up and cardio was down so I was expecting this. Another short workout today, I had to go into work for a few hours this morning and then we went over to my brotherís house for the game in the afternoon. I was getting hamstring cramps during my benching today and that was really throwing things off a bit.

2-5-12 280x4 (failed on 5th)
42FiZZWgTI0

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 205x3, 220x3, 250x3, 280x4 (failed on 5th), 315x1 (no upward movement, itís just too heavy)
CGBP- 135x5, 185x5
Incline Bench- 135x5, 185x5

Diet totals for 2-5-12: 2705 total, 273g P, 207g C, 75g F

Snapshot of my diet for week #5:

Total Calories for Week #5- 17,985
Average Cal per day- 2569
Protein per day- 240g
Carbs per day- 184g
Fat per day- 95g
Cardio per day- 20 minutes
Weight gained- 0.8#

Nice bench work!

ChocoChick
02-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Good morning! Hope your week has settled down some.

Getsum
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
I know that feelin Bro..i got up at 330am hit the gym and after 5pm i was just too tired to think. I am listening to my body and getting early to bed tonight.

i understand, but i was concerned about the calories intake and fat intake, it seems like flint knows what hes doing so far.

So far?! :confused: I've been posting my totals off and on since early 2005 and my macros haven't changed much at all in 7 years. My fats are actually much higher than when I first started out but the nutritionist I was seeing at Kaiser had me on a low fat diet in an effort to lower my triglycerides (they were over 2800 years ago and I've been able to get them down under 100). What I've personally found was that the type of fats consumed are of greater concern than the amount of fat consumed.

Post from page 2 of my journal back on 2-24-05

Iím going to start posting my daily diet totals along with my workouts. Basically Iím trying to eat 40p/40c/20f diet at around 2000 calories a day, which works out to 800 calories (200g) will come from protein, 800 calories (200g) will come from carbohydrates and 400 calories (~45g) will come from fats. Lately Iíve been closer to 2400 to 2700 calories though, all this working out is making me extremely hungry. I also try to get my fats good polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats and avoid saturated fats and try my complex carbohydrates from dietary fiber and avoid getting simple carbohydrates from sugars.

My diet totals for yesterday 2/23/05: 2714 Calories, 213g Protein, 218g Carbs (Fiber was 23g), 39g Fat (Saturated Fat was 20.5).

Nice bench work!

Thanks man!

Good morning! Hope your week has settled down some.

Still crazy but I'm hanging in there.

flat6nut
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Hard to tell maybe by the video angle...but I swear, if you pulled your elbows in just a bit...you could get more out of it. Think you know more about benching then I do, but it looks like your flairing out a bit on the heavy pushes.

Great work any way you look at it. No cheating with videos.

Getsum
02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Hard to tell maybe by the video angle...but I swear, if you pulled your elbows in just a bit...you could get more out of it. Think you know more about benching then I do, but it looks like your flairing out a bit on the heavy pushes.

Great work any way you look at it. No cheating with videos.

Thanks. It's something I'm working on but I see it as well, I really need to keep them tucked in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rest day.

Diet totals for 2-8-12: 2571 total, 229g P, 171g C, 99g F

Getsum
02-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I did pretty well on squats tonight. I’m not happy with my depth on the last rep at 355 or on my PR attempt but I also remembering that 355 was my PR not very long ago. I can’t complain too much. I’m going to give the 397.5 another shot next week to try to improve on it, it’s just looks high right now.

I’ve signed up for an online course to satisfy my required 32 hours of continuing education for my electrical journeyman certification and I’m trying to bang that out by the end of the month. I’ll probably be doing less cardio and my isolation exercises will also be taking a back seat.

2-9-12 355x3
qAy6eaAtKdo

2-9-12 397.5x1
uomMyxvzRw0

Squats/Legs
Squats- Barx5, 135x5, 185x5, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 355x3, 397.5x1
Box Squats- 225x5, 225x5
Goodmornings- Barx10, 95x10, 135x10
SLDL- 220x5, 220x5

Diet totals for 2-9-12: 2358 total, 216g P, 176g C, 77g F

123D321
02-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Squats looking strong

Getsum
02-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Squats looking strong

Thanks man!

What a great night!

2-10-12 315x1…finally! :)
oertBgDeDpM

Shoulders
Flat Bench- barx5, 135x3, 225x1, 275x1, 315x1
Standing BB Shoulder Press- barx5, 95x3, 130x3, 150x3, 165x1 (this is just really heavy for me)

Diet totals for 2-10-12: 3157 total, 343g P, 211g C, 98g F

cowboybiker
02-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Looking good on the bench.
Yeah, Im jelly.

alex2363
02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
yeah!1 315, next up 320:)....those squats look awsome Flint, im really mirrin.

alex2363
02-10-2012, 11:21 PM
So far?! :confused: What I've personally found was that the type of fats consumed are of greater concern than the amount of fat consumed

.Are you still watching what type of fats you consume?