erod13
07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I do decline push ups 3 x failure, working pretty well
Ed

bhaputi
07-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I do decline push ups 3 x failure, working pretty well
Ed

But those target the upper pecs, he is looking for lower. You can use an exercise/medicine ball and do inclined pushups to target the lower pecs.

erod13
07-26-2007, 01:15 PM
But those target the upper pecs, he is looking for lower. You can use an exercise/medicine ball and do inclined pushups to target the lower pecs.

My mistake, did'nt read it properly
Ed

LR3
07-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Dips

MuscleHead36
07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree that decline bench press work the lower pec area well.

farsscf
07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Dips

x2 also

justtryn
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
If you really want to add slabs of meat to your pecs, then press, press, press. Incline, flat, decline. Dips are fine, but for many form is an issue. Flyes are a good finisher. But if you want to pack it on, then do your presses... This is for overall pec decelopment. Many times I see folks focusing on only one type of pressing, which causes others to lag behind.

TwiloMike
07-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Errrr.... you can't really develop one area of the chest over others... you may possibly be able to stimulate growth by varying the angle of an excercise, but you will still get overall growth. With that in mind, do your presses, deps, and flys. Do them heavy, use variation, and eat/sleep plenty.

slushpup2
07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys for the help.

Errrr.... you can't really develop one area of the chest over others... you may possibly be able to stimulate growth by varying the angle of an excercise, but you will still get overall growth. With that in mind, do your presses, deps, and flys. Do them heavy, use variation, and eat/sleep plenty.

Thanks, TwiloMike, but the part about "eat/sleep plenty" maybe kinda hard for me. I'm trying to lose weight/fat so I have cut my calorie intake a lot...between 1200 and 1700 a day.

Bando
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
I like to superset, bench/fly 4 or 5 sets, then finish off with dips to failure, try this and I guarantee some soreness.

TwiloMike
07-26-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks, TwiloMike, but the part about "eat/sleep plenty" maybe kinda hard for me. I'm trying to lose weight/fat so I have cut my calorie intake a lot...between 1200 and 1700 a day.

You're consuming between 1200 and 1700 cals/day? That's ridiculously low... do you actually need to go so low to cut? That sounds like an insanely drastic cut. Are there medical issues at play? Are you consuming enough protein/fat? What did you cut to get so low? Sounds like a crash diet...

justtryn
07-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm trying to lose weight/fat so I have cut my calorie intake a lot...between 1200 and 1700 a day.

Given your weight and height, you are eating WAY too few of calories. At that low level, especially anything under that 1700 (which is too low too), you will tank your metabolism and will stall all progress... maybe even reduce it.

Many cutting "diets" shoot for 10 calories per lb of body weight. That would be about 2300 calories for you. If I were you I'd aim for 2300 down to 1900 a day. Keep your protein levels high, eat your fats, and keep the carb levels under 60 grams a day. You'll drop the weight.

slushpup2
07-27-2007, 04:02 AM
You're consuming between 1200 and 1700 cals/day? That's ridiculously low... do you actually need to go so low to cut? That sounds like an insanely drastic cut. Are there medical issues at play? Are you consuming enough protein/fat? What did you cut to get so low? Sounds like a crash diet...

Medical issues? No. not really. I'm fat and I need to lose weight.

Given your weight and height, you are eating WAY too few of calories. At that low level, especially anything under that 1700 (which is too low too), you will tank your metabolism and will stall all progress... maybe even reduce it.

Many cutting "diets" shoot for 10 calories per lb of body weight. That would be about 2300 calories for you. If I were you I'd aim for 2300 down to 1900 a day. Keep your protein levels high, eat your fats, and keep the carb levels under 60 grams a day. You'll drop the weight.

1900, I can see. But 2300? That's kinda high if I'm trying to lose weight, ain't it.
I consume high protein bars and shakes. Also, lots of chicken. I've cut my carbs very low, but not totally out.
Fats are being eaten in the form of nuts, fruits and bran cereals.

One thing I have heard was if calories are too low, my metabolism would stall. So what I do is I try to increase my cardio. I lift first then hit the treadmill.
I'm a scale junkie and the scales are not my friend, right now. My wife says its muscle weight that I'm reading. I don't think so.

evadbowl
07-27-2007, 04:25 AM

slushpup... man 1200 and 1700 calories a day??? Thats a bit low IMO.... you weigh 230, lets see, you can still lose weight at 2500 calories (clean calories). What happens when you drop your calories that low is your body will start hanging on to the fat you are trying to lose. Maybe not right away but then to lose more fat you will have to drop more calories and guess what, you cant drop anymore calories. Unless you want to have some health issues. Unless you are cut at 230lbs I think you are making a mistake. Thats just my take. Maybe I read this wrong.... how many calories are you eating total in oneday???

Capt. America
07-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Weighted dips gave me a great sweep to my lower pec's, throw in some DB fly's and DB presses and you WILL build a very good chest.

TwiloMike
07-27-2007, 04:53 AM
Medical issues? No. not really. I'm fat and I need to lose weight.
Ok. Just wanted to clear that up. Some people do have conditions that get in the way of losing fat.

What you are trying to lose isn't weight. You're trying to lose fat. At the calorie intake you've got your body will sooner catabolize itself (read: chew up its own muscle) than drop the fat.

1900, I can see. But 2300? That's kinda high if I'm trying to lose weight, ain't it.
No. Not at all. Do you know what your maintenance caloric intake is? How is your diet? Post your daily diet, let's see what you're eating. By moving around proportions of proteins/carbs/fats you can get yourself to lose fat and hang on to the muscle. Once you know what your maintenance calories are, cut down gently from there. Aim for 1-2lbs of loss/week.

Also, your initial question about bringing up your chest is useless here if you're on a crash cut. You won't gain a thing, and will likely lose muscle size due to severely undernourishing your body.

I consume high protein bars and shakes. Also, lots of chicken. I've cut my carbs very low, but not totally out.
Post a day's worth of food. Let's see where you are.

One thing I have heard was if calories are too low, my metabolism would stall. So what I do is I try to increase my cardio. I lift first then hit the treadmill.
Cardio doesn't necessarily mean that you're only dropping fat. Catabolism is your enemy and you should avoid it.

I'm a scale junkie
Stop that immediately.

My wife says its muscle weight that I'm reading. I don't think so.
Huh? What does that even mean? :confused:

justtryn
07-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Nope, not at all. You can be counter productive in weight loss if you go to low. Trust me, I've learned this the hard way. Also, I'm a guy who started at 35%+ bodyfat... I'm under 20% now... not sure exactly where. I did the super low calorie thing and found it was doing nothing but eating muscle and making me weaker. Not good.

Shakes, low carb ones, are ok as fillers. I use them. But they shouldn't be the main source of protein. Chicken, tuna, turkey burger - all good stuff. Cut those carbs down, and try to eat them all before noon. The fats in nuts are good... but fruits and bran cereals are not fat sources. Those are carb sources - and mostly simple carbs. You want complex carbs as your intake (except post workout). Whole grain wheat bread and pastas (limited), leafy green vegis, that kind of stuff. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the mix, as well. That's a good fat. Oh, and fish oil caps.

Adding/increasing your cardio (steady state cardio - keeping your heart rate between 120-130 bpm for 30 - 40 minutes), is a good stragegy for losing weight. But, too much cardio and your body will become more efficient and start eating your muscle, not your fat, for fuel. It's a fine balance. But if you are in a low caloric state, increasing your cardio isn't going to help keep the metabolism up. It just means your brain will say to the body, "This guy is trying to starve us... save the fat, eat the muscle, we'll survive longer!"

I'm a scale junkie and the scales are not my friend, right now. My wife says its muscle weight that I'm reading. I don't think so.

I hear ya, man. Imagine me - I'm the same weight I was 3 years ago... but with half the body fat. My brain has a hard time accepting the fact that it's not all fat.

slushpup2
07-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Post a day's worth of food. Let's see where you are.

It's 12:50 pm EST. As of today:

Breakfast= Myoplex lite Protein shake 170c
Mid-snack= Pure Protein Bar 190c
Lunch= (This is after I posted this morning. I'm trying to up my caloric intake) Mandarine Chicken salad 130c, Oriental Dressing 170 c, 1 Cup of Mandarine orange slices 70c.

I'm still at work so I haven't been to the gym, yet or haven't eaten dinner.

bodyhard
07-27-2007, 10:23 AM

Best advise right here, also once you start doing pressing movements the chest typically starts developing from the bottom up, very rare will you see someone develop the upper chest first. The chest will grow and fill out eventually.

redweston
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Genetics!!!!
but that is still no reason to not -------- keeponpumpin-red

justtryn
07-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Genetics!!!!
but that is still no reason to not -------- keeponpumpin-red
And to get those genetics to work for ya, ya gotta press, press, press.

TwiloMike
07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
And to get those genetics to work for ya, ya gotta press, press, press.

And EAT! There will be ZERO positive gains on a crazy cut. ZERO. Nil.

TwiloMike
07-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Best advise right here, also once you start doing pressing movements the chest typically starts developing from the bottom up, very rare will you see someone develop the upper chest first. The chest will grow and fill out eventually.

Thank you. :) Just stating some truthiness.

TANK25
07-27-2007, 02:30 PM
x2 also

x3, dips are the way to go!!!!

slushpup2
07-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks, guyz. I will also intake more calories (no higher than 2300 a day), because right now, I'm feeling drained after today's work out. :(