PDA

View Full Version : Animal's Training Log + Training Videos (Kurt Weidner)

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Animal76
01-15-2009, 07:38 AM
HS Incline
360x10>270x6>180x7 (pretty damn pathetic!)

Wide Grip Lat Pull Down
300x14>220x8>160x10

D-Bell Flys on stability ball
100'sx12>75'sx6>50'sx6

Nautilus T-bar Rows
4plx13>3plx6>2plx10

Incline Smith Machine press
90esx12,3>70esx6,3>45esx7,4 (rest/pauses and drops)

Seated Cable Rows
300x10>220x10>160x10

Tricep Pushdown with Rope
60x25>45x10>30x10

FitIron
01-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Squat Machine
12pl x10>8plx10>6plx10

Leg Press
14plx8>10plx10>6plx15

Standing CR
12plx6>10plx6>8plx7>6plx10

Seated Leg Curl
295x8,5 (rest pause)

Leg Ext
240x20

Seated CR
3plx16>2plx16>1plx30

HS Incline
360x10>270x6>180x7 (pretty damn pathetic!)

Wide Grip Lat Pull Down
300x14>220x8>160x10

D-Bell Flys on stability ball
100'sx12>75'sx6>50'sx6

Nautilus T-bar Rows
4plx13>3plx6>2plx10

Incline Smith Machine press
90esx12,3>70esx6,3>45esx7,4 (rest/pauses and drops)

Seated Cable Rows
300x10>220x10>160x10

Tricep Pushdown with Rope
60x25>45x10>30x10

STRONG looking leg day Kurt...

HS Incline
360x10>270x6>180x7 (pretty damn pathetic!)...............?????? What do you usually push. Looks strong to me!

Animal76
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
The leg workout the other day put me in a bad mood for awhile, because it sucked. I almost didn't even post it, but I need to be true to myself and my journal. On HS Incline I have gotten as many as 14 reps with 360. When I have started with 270 I have gotten 25 reps, so this was not a good performance. Shoulders and knees have felt like crap, but i'm working through it.
I was happy with my D-bell FLys, though

STRONG looking leg day Kurt...

HS Incline
360x10>270x6>180x7 (pretty damn pathetic!)...............?????? What do you usually push. Looks strong to me!

FitIron
01-15-2009, 07:50 AM
The leg workout the other day put me in a bad mood for awhile, because it sucked. I almost didn't even post it, but I need to be true to myself and my journal. On HS Incline I have gotten as many as 14 reps with 360. When I have started with 270 I have gotten 25 reps, so this was not a good performance. Shoulders and knees have felt like crap, but i'm working through it.
I was happy with my D-bell FLys, though

You are certainly one driven PRO Kurt. That is why I follow your log so close.

I have no doubt you'll surpass any goal you set. You are built to WIN my friend!

Scivation
01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I feel pretty owned after watching both of those videos

I will kick your ass in Chess!

YEAH BOOOOYYYYY

Animal76
01-16-2009, 04:10 AM
for those who haven't read this yet, you should:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=274379481&postcount=68

FitIron
01-16-2009, 04:56 AM

Like the message I left on her thread...

I've just been schooled!!

Great stuff!

RUBICON19
01-16-2009, 04:12 PM

Absolutely GREAT read. Thanks

bbqwizard
01-16-2009, 07:22 PM

x2- it was a great post!

Animal76
01-17-2009, 10:03 AM
SLDL
315x26>225x6>135x10

Close Grip Pull Downs
260x10>200x6>140x8

Barbell Walking Lunges
135, 185, 225 (3 sets)

Barbell Rows
230x12>185x8>135x10

Cable Kickbacks (glutes)
160x7>100x8

Reverse Hypers
70x15, 140x15, 210x10

Abductor
190x25
Adductor
250x15

Hyperextension

20 Hill Sprints...it was 23 degrees (warmer than the last couple of days), but Laura and I both knew there's probably someone out there working harder somewhere, so we weren't going to use the weather as an excuse to NOT do hill sprints. The air was actually quite refreshing, reminded me of the good ol' days when I played hockey.

FATHER FLEX
01-17-2009, 10:06 AM
20 Hill Sprints...it was 23 degrees (warmer than the last couple of days), but Laura and I both knew there's probably someone out there working harder somewhere, so we weren't going to use the weather as an excuse to NOT do hill sprints. The air was actually quite refreshing, reminded me of the good ol' days when I played hockey.

Nice!

RUBICON19
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Nice X 2

Lowah
01-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Just stopping by to say "hi" (because I never see you) and to let you know that you are the hardest working person I know. You never cease to motivate me. Looking forward to a great shoulder workout with you today! xoxoxo

FitIron
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Nice!

Nice X 2

X 3.....

The " Animal " part of your nic is certainly fitting!!!!!!!!!!

Animal76
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Nothing better than starting the week off with a bang! Nothing better than walking into the gym filled with anger! My sh*tlist keeps getting longer! I hope some of these keyboard tough guys are at the Arnold so I can meet them face to face. I thought about you my entire workout.

HS Shoulder Press
270x14>180x12>90x16
Seated Lateral D-Bell Raises
50'sx20>35'sx10>25'sx10
Tricep Pushdown
130x10>100x12>70x10>50x12
Seated Alt D-Bell Curls
70'sx5>45'sx6>30'sx6
Lying Pull Downs
140x10>100x10>70x16
Cable Curls
stackx10>3/4 stackx5>1/2 stack x5
Incline Skull Crushers
110x20>80x10>60x7
Front D-Bell Raises
50'sx8>30'sx10
Reverse Pec Deck
175x6>145x6>115x6>85x10
Nautilus Lateral Raise
200x15>150x7>100x10
Cable Upright Rows w/ Rope
Dips
Underhand Pull-ups

I HATE EVERYONE!!! BUT THANKS FOR GIVING ME THE MOTIVATION TO OVERCOME MY SH*TTY PHYSIQUE

lth
01-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Nothing better than starting the week off with a bang! Nothing better than walking into the gym filled with anger! My sh*tlist keeps getting longer! I hope some of these keyboard tough guys are at the Arnold so I can meet them face to face. I thought about you my entire workout.

HS Shoulder Press
270x14>180x12>90x16
50'sx20>35'sx10>25'sx10
Tricep Pushdown
Seated Alt D-Bell Curls
70'sx5>45'sx6>30'sx6
Lying Pull Downs
140x10>100x10>70x16
Cable Curls
Incline Skull Crushers
110x20>80x10>60x7
Front D-Bell Raises
50'sx8>30'sx10
Reverse Pec Deck
175x6>145x6>115x6>85x10
Nautilus Lateral Raise
200x15>150x7>100x10
Dips
Underhand Pull-ups

I HATE EVERYONE!!! BUT THANKS FOR GIVING ME THE MOTIVATION TO OVERCOME MY SH*TTY PHYSIQUE

F*ck yeah!

FitIron
01-19-2009, 02:33 PM

HS Shoulder Press
270x14>180x12>90x16
50'sx20>35'sx10>25'sx10
Tricep Pushdown
Seated Alt D-Bell Curls
70'sx5>45'sx6>30'sx6
Lying Pull Downs
140x10>100x10>70x16
Cable Curls
Incline Skull Crushers
110x20>80x10>60x7
Front D-Bell Raises
50'sx8>30'sx10
Reverse Pec Deck
175x6>145x6>115x6>85x10
Nautilus Lateral Raise
200x15>150x7>100x10
Dips
Underhand Pull-ups

PHUCKING wicked....I know you were serious but that " keyboard tough guy " sh$t had me laughing...

I'm just glad I'll be at the Scivation booth with you....:D

Animal76
01-19-2009, 03:47 PM
That was specifically directed at Quelly, the little f*** who called me a hypocrite!!!! F***ing piece of sh*t!!! Among others!

PHUCKING wicked....I know you were serious but that " keyboard tough guy " sh$t had me laughing...

I'm just glad I'll be at the Scivation booth with you....:D

lth
01-19-2009, 03:52 PM
That was specifically directed at Quelly, the little f*** who called me a hypocrite!!!! F***ing piece of sh*t!!! Among others!

Easy for people to be toughguys behind a computer man....the same people who would never stand up and voice their sh*t in person.....quite a few on these forums like that.

FitIron
01-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Easy for people to be toughguys behind a computer man....the same people who would never stand up and voice their sh*t in person.....quite a few on these forums like that.

There are actually tons like that, and it is unfortunate.

I am here to learn, and Kurt is one of the ones I follow very closely.

IMO most any sh$t is just out of jealousy and envy anyway........

lth
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
There are actually tons like that, and it is unfortunate.

I am here to learn, and Kurt is one of the ones I follow very closely.

IMO most any sh$t is just out of jealousy and envy anyway........

You said it tony. The same guys like that would kiss complete ass in person though.

Slackadjuster
01-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Especially when they meet Kurt! He is pretty intimidating in person!

Simonn
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Its actually nice to have kurt on our side, he looks like one of them Hells Angel members.

Quelly
01-19-2009, 05:06 PM

I respect your work ethic and focused approach to bodybuilding Kurt. I apologize for making you so angry, (because it wasn't my intent) but it seemed to help you in the gym...so I'm glad you got something positive out of it even if it wasn't what I'd hoped.

I wish you continued success in every aspect of your life. You work very hard and you deserve your achievements.

To be clear, (and this can be backed up by the many who know me in real life) I say what I feel is right to say whether I am behind a keyboard or not.

Squizzzer
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Nothing better than starting the week off with a bang! Nothing better than walking into the gym filled with anger! My sh*tlist keeps getting longer! I hope some of these keyboard tough guys are at the Arnold so I can meet them face to face.

what was it you said to tommy about being stereotypical...

*will be hiding at the arnold so kurt doesn't beat me up*

Animal76
01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
you're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate your recognition of my approach. There are many things that everyone is going to disagree about and take sides on. That is why I'd prefer to keep to myself and not even be on this forum. My role with Scivation is the reason for my presence on this board. With my presence comes my straightforward attitude, focused approach and my opinions (which will be judged differently by each individual). I realize many/most probably do not appreciate much of what I have to say. I come across strong and in your eyes and the eyes of many others, arrogant and self-righteous. I'm not here to please anyone. I'm here to provide information on behalf of the company based on my 12 years of experience in this sport. Unfortunately, being on here forces me to see things and read things I'd rather not see. I tend not to keep my mouth shut when I see things I disagree with. As a result I may turn many against me. So be it. I'm not here to make friends, i know who my friends are. I try to keep my journal true to life. If my workout sucked, I don't b.s. and lie to myself by saying it was good. If I had a great workout, because I was pissed off about something I tell all. Working out has been a way i've dealt with anger since I was young. I'm fully aware of my imperfections. Some accept me for who I am while others do not. It is never my intention to come across as being arrogant. Arrogance would imply that I hold a high opinion of myself...on this forum with respect to bodybuilding. I will be the first to tell you that there are plenty of bbers who are bigger, stronger, have far better physiques, far better conditioning, far better genetics and far more knowledge than I do. The only reason I may know anything is experience...i've been involved with bbing for awhile. I wouldn't refer to myself as any better than average, but I may be able to help some avoid mistakes i've made and I may be able to inform some on how I was somewhat able to overcome sh*tty genetics.
I have my views on certain things (related to bbing and not related to bbing) and I am not afraid to voice them. Some respect this while others find it offensive and rash. Can't please everyone. At the same time, I tend to take things personally, which is a little inconsistent (I said I wasn't perfect...actually i'm pretty f***ed in the head to be honest). There are many days I wish I had a job that kept me away from people, because my way of dealing with them is so abrasive. Nevertheless, I guess Marc values my input enough to keep me around (maybe he'll change his mind). In the meantime, I guess everyone will have to deal with me and i'll have to learn to ignore things

I respect your work ethic and focused approach to bodybuilding Kurt. I apologize for making you so angry, (because it wasn't my intent) but it seemed to help you in the gym...so I'm glad you got something positive out of it even if it wasn't what I'd hoped.

I wish you continued success in every aspect of your life. You work very hard and you deserve your achievements.

To be clear, (and this can be backed up by the many who know me in real life) I say what I feel is right to say whether I am behind a keyboard or not.

Quelly
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Much respect for your post Kurt, and I do have a part in this, I apologize for responding in a sarcastic way to the original post you made when this all started...for me to talk about self righteousness, professionalism, arrogance, and hypocrisy WITH a sarcastic and unprofessional tone is in itself hypocritical. So my apologies there. I should have made my point in a more constructive way.
Despite any imperfections, which we all have, and which I commend you for recognizing, I do think you bring many positive things to this board: hard work, dedication, the unwilligness to give up in the face of obstacles and the proof that if you work hard and want it, you can achieve it.

you're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate your recognition of my approach. There are many things that everyone is going to disagree about and take sides on. That is why I'd prefer to keep to myself and not even be on this forum. My role with Scivation is the reason for my presence on this board. With my presence comes my straightforward attitude, focused approach and my opinions (which will be judged differently by each individual). I realize many/most probably do not appreciate much of what I have to say. I come across strong and in your eyes and the eyes of many others, arrogant and self-righteous. I'm not here to please anyone. I'm here to provide information on behalf of the company based on my 12 years of experience in this sport. Unfortunately, being on here forces me to see things and read things I'd rather not see. I tend not to keep my mouth shut when I see things I disagree with. As a result I may turn many against me. So be it. I'm not here to make friends, i know who my friends are. I try to keep my journal true to life. If my workout sucked, I don't b.s. and lie to myself by saying it was good. If I had a great workout, because I was pissed off about something I tell all. Working out has been a way i've dealt with anger since I was young. I'm fully aware of my imperfections. Some accept me for who I am while others do not. It is never my intention to come across as being arrogant. Arrogance would imply that I hold a high opinion of myself...on this forum with respect to bodybuilding. I will be the first to tell you that there are plenty of bbers who are bigger, stronger, have far better physiques, far better conditioning, far better genetics and far more knowledge than I do. The only reason I may know anything is experience...i've been involved with bbing for awhile. I wouldn't refer to myself as any better than average, but I may be able to help some avoid mistakes i've made and I may be able to inform some on how I was somewhat able to overcome sh*tty genetics.
I have my views on certain things (related to bbing and not related to bbing) and I am not afraid to voice them. Some respect this while others find it offensive and rash. Can't please everyone. At the same time, I tend to take things personally, which is a little inconsistent (I said I wasn't perfect...actually i'm pretty f***ed in the head to be honest). There are many days I wish I had a job that kept me away from people, because my way of dealing with them is so abrasive. Nevertheless, I guess Marc values my input enough to keep me around (maybe he'll change his mind). In the meantime, I guess everyone will have to deal with me and i'll have to learn to ignore things

Sporto1633
01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
what was it you said to tommy about being stereotypical...

*will be hiding at the arnold so kurt doesn't beat me up*

Kurt is entitled to his opinion of others, just like everybody else. He can like or hate people based on whatever he wants to believe about them and that's his prerogative - just as other people judge him and assume things about him for the same reasons, whether warranted or not.

You can look in my thread for the actual posts of Kurt's accusations towards me if you really are interested. I honestly don't think it's even a big deal - Kurt doesn't know me at all except how he interprets my posts online. Unless he knew me as a person and knew my personality, mannerisms, etc., you can't fault him for taking posts of mine the wrong way. And as you know, he will just say what he wants to say when he wants to say it. I don't take it personal and there's no need for me to get defensive because he simply doesn't know me at all.

I come across strong and in your eyes and the eyes of many others, arrogant and self-righteous.

In the same way that I have come off arrogant towards you. There's a fine line to walk in between cocky and confidence. In this sport, it can be very difficult to always be on the humble/confident side without sometimes getting a little carried away and coming off cocky. With each workout and with each day that we better ourselves, our confidence improves, and nobody is perfect at controlling that...including me. I have NEVER claimed I was better than anyone, nor do I act like it. There have been times on this board, however, where it may have seemed that way because I actually had a little Kurt Wiedner inside of me come out and call BS where there was BS. But like you, I mostly stay to my journal (other than my clients) and worry about myself. If others want to stop in and joke around, I'm all for it.

I'm here to provide information on behalf of the company based on my 12 years of experience in this sport.

I know you haven't been posting here all that long relatively speaking, and I also realize that you could care less to read through my entire journal, but I am here for the exact same reason. I'm here to help and provide information based on my own personal experiences as well. As arrogant as you think I am, there are even people that post in your journal that have followed mine and can tell you that the majority of my jourrnal isn't listing workouts and weights (or braggin as you call it), it's answering millions of questions and helping people be their best.

It is never my intention to come across as being arrogant. Arrogance would imply that I hold a high opinion of myself...on this forum with respect to bodybuilding.

In the exact same way, it is never my intention either. I've done nothing but constantly recognize my weaknesses in my journal - my back, my glutes, hamstrings, you name it. Just because you haven't read all of my posts in my journal and have seen how humble I really am about my physique, doesn't mean I'm this horrible guy you think I am. If I really were such a huge arrogant prick, I seriously doubt Marc would have sponsored me. And honestly, I don't think I would be getting as many referred clients either - word would get around fast that I'm a complete ass and no one would bother.

I will be the first to tell you that there are plenty of bbers who are bigger, stronger, have far better physiques, far better conditioning, far better genetics and far more knowledge than I do. The only reason I may know anything is experience...i've been involved with bbing for awhile. I wouldn't refer to myself as any better than average, but I may be able to help some avoid mistakes i've made and I may be able to inform some on how I was somewhat able to overcome sh*tty genetics.

As am I...I am the same way about admitting far better physiques (I say this numerous times in my journal), and although I haven't been involved as long as you, I think I've been able to help some avoid the same mistakes I did and help sharpen thier learning curve. Are we so different?

And you are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else is. I'll admit, I was shocked you would even bother to come into my journal just to badmouth me when you don't know me and have never even had a conversation with me (other than when you would barely talk to me at the Pro/Am last year). It's a shame because I'm really not the arrogant prick you think I am. I have a feeling I know what event has caused you to think this way to begin with, but if it's what I think it is, you definitely don't have the whole story. Irregardless, it doesn't matter. You'll think what you want no matter what kind of a person I really am. But we are all on the same team here...we are all trying to be better people and build better physiques - no matter which way we choose to do that.

Sporto

Lowah
01-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Kurty, I'm jonesin for some numbers, yo. PLEASE post your workouts to not only appease your girlfriend, but also to motivate her!

Lowah
01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
P.S. Thank you.

lth
01-26-2009, 03:21 PM
x2^^

missin the carnage filled sessions you post kurt.

FitIron
01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
x2^^

missin the carnage filled sessions you post kurt.

X3, but I am not calling the K'word Laura did.....:D

serratus
01-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey Kurt,

Looking forward to seeing yer next moto workout clip.

-garry

Animal76
03-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Haven't been on here for awhile and wasn't sure whether i'd come back or not (I was asked to stay off here), but I am going to resume logging my workouts for my own motivation.

It's been an interesting week. Monday I felt off all day, appetite wasn't very good, meals were being forced and I suspected something was up. I pushed forward anyway and did a chest back workout. Went with a different strategy this week (something i've used before), where by you choose a weight and continue doing sets until you hit a certain number of reps. 50 reps was the number to hit.

Incline BB press (don't laugh, my strength on these is pathetic and has gotten worse since I haven't done them much at all lately)
225x 14,8,6,6,5,6,5,4
Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs
280x15,11,10,8,6
Incline D-Bell Flys
75's x20,12,8,10
Seated Cable Rows
250x15,12,10,14
Decline HS
270x15,10,9,7,7
(ran out of time)

I was having a good workout, but felt like my food was sitting in my stomach the whole time. I finally threw up after the second set of seated cable rows, which made me feel better temporarily...I then proceeded to finish my workout and took a shower. I was reluctant to drink my post workout meal/shake since my stomach had been uneasy all day, but my blood sugar was dropping like a led balloon. I had 2 appointments and didn't want to cancel so I gutted it out. Sipped on my shake over a period of 45 minutes and got through my 2 appointment. By the time I was done I felt awful, I went home and slept before throwing up again. I unfortunately had to cancel my appointments tuesday morning. Tuesday I was better, but only got 4 meals in, which is frustrating because I had finally gotten my weight back up (Monday morning I weighed in at 218...I have been struggling to keep my weight lately).
Wednesday I felt fine but for whatever reason had terrible pain in my right shoulder (impingement) and couldn't do a lateral raise with a coffee cup without severe pain. I was concerned knowing today was shoulder day. I iced it and took some ibuprofen and today it was fine. Had a good shoulder workout today (same approach):

Seated Lateral D-bell Raises
50'sx20,12,10,8
Lying Pull Downs
140x16,15,9,10
HS Shoulder Press
270x13,7,6,6,5,5,5,3
HS Seated Shrugs
360x20,15,12,12
Front Raises w/ Bar
60x20,15,12,10
Cable Upright Rows
120x20 170, 15,13,10,12

Frankdaddy
03-12-2009, 06:42 PM
hey bro, sorry to hear that, but I am going through the exact same thing as well. I havnt been able to eat more than one meal on this day as I feel nauseated like crazy. Feel better man, and get back to hitting it hard!

ChokeOnStrength
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
This is what I am talking about, whether this log is filled with knowledge, critics, backtalk, pow wow bs, numbers, names, bs and games. This is what it's all about..

Absolutely everything, and nothing at all. It's all or nothing here. Pain, force, glory and honor. Reading all of these posts, being away for awhile it really brings a spark back into me. I've even sensed a displacement of who I am in myself and how people act towards me. After reading all of this, it reminds me that there is only one thing that is important, and it's definitely not anyone elses opinion.

So f*cking hell yeah Kurt. This is your world, you're the president, the king and the conquerer. Whomever chooses to enter it must either shut up and do as they do, or follow and still... shut the f up.

I am proud to read these posts by you. You reminded me of who the hell I am.

Honor, that's what it is.

bbqwizard
03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I've been experiencing the same issues with my shoulder as well. And, have pretty much been doing as you stated.

Great to see you back Kurt! Did you end up at the Arnold?

Animal76
03-13-2009, 01:44 PM
same approach: 50 rep goal with each weight

Tricep Pushdown
120x20,11,10,9

Alt. D-Bell Curls
60's x 15,10,8,7,6,5

Incline Skull Crushers
110x 22,16,11,8

Curls w/ EZ bar
100x 18,12, 10,10

Tricep Press w/ rotating bar (neutral grip)
100 x 15,10,6,7,5,7

Hammer Cable Curls
140 x 17, 12, 10, 8, 6

Animal76
03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Unfortunately, I did end up going to the Arnold.

I've been experiencing the same issues with my shoulder as well. And, have pretty much been doing as you stated.

Great to see you back Kurt! Did you end up at the Arnold?

bballbrett5
03-13-2009, 02:13 PM
^ care to explain? seems like some drama! if you don't want to talk about it that's cool (referring to this and the other post about you not supposed to post here or something)

unaware

Animal76
03-13-2009, 03:13 PM
no drama, The Arnold just isn't really my scene. I'm not going to go into details, but my original reason for going was different than why I ended up going. I originally had a commitment to go that changed, but in the interim Laura had bought a plane ticket to meet me there, so I became locked into going. No big deal. It is what it is. I got to see her along with a few other people I don't get to see very often, so I just made the most of it. Laura and I visited an equine facility on friday (we also got a good workout in that day). Eugene and I had a good Leg workout on Saturday.
In 2005 I went to the expo for the first time and i really enjoyed it. It seemed very motivating at the time, but i guess my perspectives on a lot of things have changed in four years. Now I see companies pimping their stuff (they won't give you anything for free, not that I even want it) while they all compete to attract attention to their booths with trashy girls dressed (and acting) like strippers. Now I know this isn't true all of the companies and all the booths, but you see plenty of it. Aside from a lot of females with no dignity, you see plenty of freaks and when you put it all together it makes me stop and think to myself, "There's no wonder people don't take this sport seriously"
We only went to the expo on saturday and that was more than enough for me. Trying to walk around that place amidst the thousands of people was annoying and frustrating. I'm not a big fan of crowds. I like my space and I like to be by myself. I don't care to be around large crowds for extended periods of time.
Some people love it. To each, their own

^ care to explain? seems like some drama! if you don't want to talk about it that's cool (referring to this and the other post about you not supposed to post here or something)

unaware

Lowah
03-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey, stranger ;) Great to see you posting on here again! And your summary of the Arnold couldn't be more accurate... I'm there right there with ya. I am intrigued by your new training method... pretty neat. Glad your shoulder (and tummy) are feeling better. Miss you!

dj_eu
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Kurt, hitting legs with you was the best part of attending Arnold for me.

Here are a couple of pics, the first showing Kurt's dedication to his diet--we were in front of the expo stage when he broke out his chicken with a generous serving of spicy mustard:

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/dj_eu/kurt.jpg

The second one is of you and Laura:

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/dj_eu/kurtlaura.jpg

Finally, this is I promoting Starbucks coffee (not sure what that guy in the green shirt is checking out) and you and Laura:

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/dj_eu/eugenelaurakurt.jpg

Animal76
03-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Eugene, I think you chose the wrong career path...you should be a photographer!
It was great to see you again!

Animal76
03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Well my shoulders and triceps were still sore as hell from last week, so Vaughan and I had to adjust a little bit. Instead of Chest/back we hit Legs today. This is the first time I've used the 50 rep total approach with legs and it was interesting.

Barbell Squats
315 x 21,15,14

Bm Lying Leg Curls
140 x14, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

Seated Calf Raises
3 plates x 20,17,16

Leg Extension
240 x 20,14, 10, 8

This is all I had time for today since I had 9 PT appointments. Written down the workout really doesn't look like much and the numbers are nothing to write home about. I definitely felt exhausted, but maybe that's just because i'm a fat out of shape bastard...at least there's plenty of room for improvement. the 50 rep total on barbell squats with almost 150% of my bodyweight took a lot out of me. I feel like I should be able to get a lot more than 21 reps with 315. I still got a good workout, though.

Animal76
03-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Wide Grip Pull Downs
300x14,280x12,260x14,240x14

Seated Cable Rows w/ split Handle
200 x15, 240x8, 220x11, 160x25

BB Rows
315 x 15 (pauses), 405 x 12 (pauses), 495 x 20 (regular)

Isolated T-Bar Rows (w/ chest pad)
2pl x 15, 3pl x 7, 3 pl x 8, 2pl x16

High Pulls (rear delts)
120 x10,150x10,150x7

HS Hi Row
270 x13,8,8

Lando33
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
it's good to see you back here, my man.

Silver-Wolfe
03-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Kurt, you are just ****ing phenominal. Everything you do always seems impress me. I just want to to say congratulations, your hard work, determination and scarifices has paid off. I hope that mine will too soon. Keep up it with the log. Take care, bro.

Frankdaddy
03-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Wide Grip Pull Downs

BB Rows

High Pulls (rear delts)
120 x10,150x10,150x7

HS Hi Row
270 x13,8,8

BB rows 495 for 20 reps WHAAAA

mad86
03-19-2009, 07:11 PM
nice job on the squats and rows. you are a ****ing animal.

FATHER FLEX
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM

I KNOW!

Animal76
03-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Wait a minute, i was obviously typing way too fast! My BB rows aren't anything close to that strong.

those were the numbers for BB Shrugs. I will go back and edit the entry.

Sorry to disappoint everyone! I wish I could move that kind of weight.

I KNOW!

Animal76
03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
this is what the entry was supposed to look like

Wide Grip Pull Downs

BB Rows
225x10,255x8,225x10 (wasn't very strong on these that day)

BB Shrugs

High Pulls (rear delts)
120 x10,150x10,150x7

HS Hi Row
270 x13,8,8

Wide Grip Pull Downs

BB Rows

High Pulls (rear delts)
120 x10,150x10,150x7

HS Hi Row
270 x13,8,8

Animal76
03-21-2009, 05:20 PM
HS Incline
360x12,270x17>180x9>90x17

Cable Flys
100x11>80x9>60x12

50'sx12,50'sx10,40'sx20>30'sx12>20'sx16

Reverse Pec Deck
4 sets (reverse grip)

Dips
w/ 100 x 10, w/ 45 x 22, bdywt x 30

Upright Rows w/ 100 lb plate

HS Shoulder Press
270x4,180x15
Tricep Rope Press
60x25,70x8,
60x12>45x10>30x10

Animal76
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Cable Curls
2 warm-ups, stack x 15, stack + 35 x 6, stack + 50 x 4

Calf Raises on vertical leg press
6plx20,9pl x10, 9pl x8, 9pl x 8, 7pl x12, 6pl x15

Seated Alt D-bell curls
50'sx6,65's x7, 75's x 3, 60's x7, 50's x9

Seated CR
2plx20,3plx20,4plx8,3plx20,3plx17

Hammer Curls w/ Bar
90x10,8,7,7

Standing Calf Raises on squat machine
10plx10,12plx7,12plx6,10plx7

Animal76
03-21-2009, 05:24 PM
I wish!

Lando33
03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
good to see you back here buddy.

Animal76
03-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Decided last night that I wanted to get a Sunday morning workout, so I hit some shoulders with a little bit of extra triceps (left shoulder was bothering me today)

Overhead D-Bell Press
100's x12, 100's x5, 80's x11, 60's x15

One Arm Lateral Cable Raise
40x20,60x15,60x10
60x10>50x8>40x8

Reverse Pec Deck
4 sets w/ reverse grip (palms facing out)

Front D_Bell Raises
40'sx15,50'sx8,45'sx10

French Press
100x20,15

Upright Rows
150x20,170x10,170x10
superset w/
Tricep Pushdown
100x20,15,12

finished with 20 minutes of cardio

(i've been doing at least 30 min cardio every day)

Frankdaddy
03-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Decided last night that I wanted to get a Sunday morning workout, so I hit some shoulders with a little bit of extra triceps (left shoulder was bothering me today)

Overhead D-Bell Press
100's x12, 100's x5, 80's x11, 60's x15

40x20,60x15,60x10
60x10>50x8>40x8

Reverse Pec Deck
4 sets w/ reverse grip (palms facing out)

Front D_Bell Raises
40'sx15,50'sx8,45'sx10

French Press
100x20,15

Upright Rows
150x20,170x10,170x10
superset w/
Tricep Pushdown
100x20,15,12

finished with 20 minutes of cardio

(i've been doing at least 30 min cardio every day)

Are you doing a small cut or are you starting contest prepping for doing so much cardio as of late?

Animal76
03-22-2009, 09:19 AM
I do cardio all year round. I am a strong believer that cardio is extremely beneficial even in the off-season. recovery and functional capacity of the muscles is limited by cardiovascular condition. The better your cardio vascular condition:
-the better your recovery in between sets will be
-the better your recovery in between workouts will be (which is also the result of improved blood circulation and nutrient delivery)
-the higher your workout capacity will be (you can't work out hard if you're sucking wind after one high rep set or superset/drop set, etc)

also, when you approach a contest season in better shape, you're more likely to retain muscle during the cutting phase

I added the comment about the cardio, because I often do not log on here cardio or abs, although I do both very frequently.
Are you doing a small cut or are you starting contest prepping for doing so much cardio as of late?

Frankdaddy
03-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Makes sense, definetly understandable. Yea I was just wondering as I have never seen you post that you do them before. I do agree, and I will be using this approach more often as the years go on so that I stay leaner in the offseason from now on, because getting way fat is no fun lol

Silver-Wolfe
03-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey kurt did you happen to tape any videos while you were at the Arnold's?

Animal76
03-22-2009, 04:25 PM
I did not

Hey kurt did you happen to tape any videos while you were at the Arnold's?

Tye40
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Good to see you posting again.

Animal76
03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Today was Leg Day and I had a great f***ing workout! I knew I was going to have good one today before I even left for the gym...I could feel it!

H-Squat
5 warm-ups sets
14 plates x 12 (PR), 10 plates x 22

HS Calf Raises
6pl x 15, 8plx12, 8pl x10,8pl x10, 6pl x14

Seated Leg Curl
220x10,295x9,295x7,235x15

Seated Calf Raises
100x20,145x15,145x10,145x10

Barbell Walking Lunges
135 (warm-up), 225, 275 (PR), 135 for twice the distance

Adductor
200x15,250x10,250x10
Abductor
190x15,10,10

Leg Extension
240 x 25,15,10

I have a few videos on the way

AllDai
03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Kurt, I was doing my workout at the same time you were today and got a chance to see you do those lunges. Absolutely brutal! Anyways, whenever I am working out and I see you lifting it just pumps me up to push myself even harder. Just wanted to let you know that your intensity definitely rubs off on me, and I'm sure many others who lift at the Weight Club. Keep it up!

Animal76
03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it! Glad to know I can have that effect on others. The Weight Club is a great place to train, you won't find too many other gyms like it.

Kurt, I was doing my workout at the same time you were today and got a chance to see you do those lunges. Absolutely brutal! Anyways, whenever I am working out and I see you lifting it just pumps me up to push myself even harder. Just wanted to let you know that your intensity definitely rubs off on me, and I'm sure many others who lift at the Weight Club. Keep it up!

Animal76
03-23-2009, 04:20 PM
H-Squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKJW6d9tYA

BB Lunges w/ 225
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyY8WOpCeDU

BB Lunges w/ 275
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8iMEBmPfQ4

Animal76
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Another solid workout today, felt really good...must be the blue raspberry Xtend!!!

Wide Grip Pull Downs
300 x 15,10,8,8

Barbell Rows
225 x 15, 275 x 10, 295 x 5, 225 x 20

One Arm Cable Low Row
160x10,200x5,140x12

Underhand Pull Downs
220x12,240x6,220x8

DB Shrugs (pauses)
170's x20,20,20

Tye40
03-25-2009, 05:46 AM
H-Squat

BB Lunges w/ 225

BB Lunges w/ 275

275 lunges......outstanding!!!

Animal76
03-25-2009, 08:09 AM
let's just say that I know where my a$$ is today...having a little difficulty walking, sitting, etc

275 lunges......outstanding!!!

Frankdaddy
03-25-2009, 08:26 AM
H-Squat

BB Lunges w/ 225

BB Lunges w/ 275

That is sick with the lunges bro, and I bet your respiratory system was about to shut down from being so out of breath haha

Nice setup in the hacksquat, that would weird me out seeing one in a gym, but ive seen you use it numerous times in videos so you must enjoy it. Do you feel the effects come from it better than a vertical hacksquat ?

Tye40
03-25-2009, 08:43 AM
let's just say that I know where my a$$ is today...having a little difficulty walking, sitting, etc

Haha....it's as it should be. Those vids motivated me to add a little weight to my lunges today.

Lando33
03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Nice setup in the hacksquat, that would weird me out seeing one in a gym, but ive seen you use it numerous times in videos so you must enjoy it. Do you feel the effects come from it better than a vertical hacksquat ?

I have had the pleasure of using that machine before. It's like a cross between a hack squat and leg press.

Anything that you have to climb into is just awesome!

Animal76
03-25-2009, 10:20 AM
The H-Squat does a great job of simulating the movement of a traditional squat with far less pressure on the knees than regular or hack squats. It really does a nice job on the quads, hams and glutes...you get much better range of motion than with a traditional leg press.

That is sick with the lunges bro, and I bet your respiratory system was about to shut down from being so out of breath haha

Animal76
03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Thursday 3/26
Chest & Triceps (not particularly strong)
Incline Smith Machine
90es (each side)x20, 115esx
Tricep Pushdown
80x15,120x10,100x16,100x14,80x20
Flat D-bell Flys
55'sx10,75'sx10,75'sx7, 50'sx20
Push-ups on Bosu Ball with feet elevated
4 sets to failure
Reverse Tricep Pushdown
60x20,75x8,60x13
Pec Deck
145x20,160x8,130x15
Close Grip Press on Smith Machine
4 sets
Overhead Rope Ext
2 set

Friday
Lower back and Biceps (very weak today
SLDL
3 warm-ups, 315x15,405x5 (pathetic). 315x15, 225x25
HS Preacher Curl
45x10,90x15,135x7,135x5,115x8,90x12
Cable Kickbacks (glutes)
120x15,160x10,200x6
Alt D-Bell Curls
60'sx10,60'sx8,50'sx10,50'sx10>40'sx4>30'sx5
Hypers

Animal76
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
In addition to 35 minutes cardio in the morning yesterday, I did some hill sprints last night, because I felt like doing some.

Weight this morning was 212 lbs, which is a bit low for me

Chest & Back today (chest was still a little tight from last week...been having some shoulder issues)

Incline D-Bell Press
100's x 17,8,8, 75'sx15
Nautilus T-Bar Row
2plx10,3plx10,4plx12,4plx12,4plx10,3plx20
HS Decline
180x10,270x16,360x4,270x11
HS Pull Down
180x10,270x6,230x11,180x16
Cable FLys
100x12,120x4
100x9>80x6>60x10>40x20
Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs
220x10,260x15,280x10,260x10

AllDai
03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Kurt, what do you typically do for cardio? Do you use HIIT training? Thanks.

Animal76
10-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Now that I have a free moment and things have calmed down a bit, I figured i'd take some time to update my journal, which I have not posted anything in for some time now. Today begins week 20 of my 25 week prep for WNBF Worlds. My prep has gone remarkably well so far. Last week I traveled out to Sacramento, CA to compete in the WNBF US Cup to help me get ready for Worlds. This was a decision that Brian Whitacre helped me make around 6-7 weeks out from that show, based on my progress at that point. Brian was generous enough to take time off from work to travel out there so he could help me at the show. It was awesome to have him there and I cannot thank him enough. Brian is a great friend and i'm looking forward to opportunity to share the stage with him at Worlds (different weight classes of course). The US Cup was not part of my original plan, but I was happy with the physique I was able to present after only 18 weeks of contest dieting. I know, however, based on examining my pictures, that I am capable of improving my conditioning and that will need to happen in order for me not to get my ass handed to me at Worlds. I cannot rely on shape or symmetry so I must bring conditioning and thickness/density/hardness. I competed around 198 lbs and stayed around there this week. I still have a few measures left to take that will hopefully tighten up my mid-section. My lower abdominal area is where the stubborn fat is and I have 6 weeks to get rid of it.

I am very thankful for the support I have gotten from Scivation and I will do my best to represent at Worlds.

Quelly
10-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Now that I have a free moment and things have calmed down a bit, I figured i'd take some time to update my journal, which I have not posted anything in for some time now. Today begins week 20 of my 25 week prep for WNBF Worlds. My prep has gone remarkably well so far. Last week I traveled out to Sacramento, CA to compete in the WNBF US Cup to help me get ready for Worlds. This was a decision that Brian Whitacre helped me make around 6-7 weeks out from that show, based on my progress at that point. Brian was generous enough to take time off from work to travel out there so he could help me at the show. It was awesome to have him there and I cannot thank him enough. Brian is a great friend and i'm looking forward to opportunity to share the stage with him at Worlds (different weight classes of course). The US Cup was not part of my original plan, but I was happy with the physique I was able to present after only 18 weeks of contest dieting. I know, however, based on examining my pictures, that I am capable of improving my conditioning and that will need to happen in order for me not to get my ass handed to me at Worlds. I cannot rely on shape or symmetry so I must bring conditioning and thickness/density/hardness. I competed around 198 lbs and stayed around there this week. I still have a few measures left to take that will hopefully tighten up my mid-section. My lower abdominal area is where the stubborn fat is and I have 6 weeks to get rid of it.

I am very thankful for the support I have gotten from Scivation and I will do my best to represent at Worlds.

Kurt it was great to meet you at the show, your a class act, and you brought an incredible physique to the stage that proved to me that hard work, patience, and will power CAN beat genetics. You displayed incredible conditioning and muscularity which I KNOW you will improve on no matter how mind boggling that is to me, and I hope you don't mind if I post this picture I've got of you that really displays the hours in the gym and kitchen you put in to win this show
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/ericrhelms/holycrapkurt.jpg

Animal76
10-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks! It was great meeting you as well! Best of luck with your training and future competitions. I'm sure our paths will cross again at a stage somewhere.

Kurt it was great to meet you at the show, your a class act, and you brought an incredible physique to the stage that proved to me that hard work, patience, and will power CAN beat genetics. You displayed incredible conditioning and muscularity which I KNOW you will improve on no matter how mind boggling that is to me, and I hope you don't mind if I post this picture I've got of you that really displays the hours in the gym and kitchen you put in to win this show
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp315/ericrhelms/holycrapkurt.jpg

Animal76
10-04-2009, 09:52 AM
I did not get too many good pics, but here are a few

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20US%20Cup/RDB2.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20US%20Cup/lowerback3.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20US%20Cup/HHMM2.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20US%20Cup/HHMM2.jpg

Animal76
10-04-2009, 09:53 AM
not sure why the last came up twice

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20US%20Cup/abs3.jpg

Frankdaddy
10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
WOW bro, you are truly amazing, and you definetly defy all that a natty bodybuilder is "suppose" to look like in the minds of haters. You are an inspiration to me, and have been since I have started because of your level of development and ability to become so conditioned and still appear rock hard on stage.

chuckles_345
10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Kurt,

Your achievement despite what you have been handed genetics wise is amazing. It gives me hope that a small ecto like me will get my natty pro card some day as long as I outwork everyone. As far as your pics, my initial thought was that you were rediculously shreaded (hell you have veins in your hamstrings), but I thought you had been leaner in the past ( I believe I'm thinking of the mid-america a yr or 2 ago when you posted that back double bi pick that was the most insanely conditioned pic I've ever seen of a natural). After realizing that you did that on 18 weeks of dieting instead of your normal 25 or so, I'm impressed. I can only imagine what you will bring to worlds. You and Whitarce on the same stage, can anyone say glute striation overload in the overall? Best of luck at worlds, and thank you again for posting online and being an inspiration.

Chuckles

FATHER FLEX
10-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Inspiring! Best way I could describe what seeing you take the show this weekend was. Kurt is the kind of competitor you worry about the most. Simply because the chances of him coming in off? Never that!

Keep grinding away! Worlds is going to be great this year. :)

Animal76
10-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Thanks for all the kind words! Today i'm exactly 5 weeks out from Worlds and things are going quite well. It's leg day #2 of my split and it's also my only refeed/high carb day...my body did not seem to want to wait for the alarm to go off this morning, so I was up at 4:30am. I don't have a client until 7am this morning, so I figured i'd do a little updating in my journal. Saturday morning I like to get 2 meals in prior to my workout and I have clients from either 7-9 or 7-10am, so I workout at either 9 or 10am.
I have been following a 6 day split:
Sunday: Shoulders + Posing
Monday: Back + Posing
Tuesday: Quads, Hams, Calves + Hill Sprints
Wednesday: off (lowest calorie day of week)
Thursday: Chest & Back + Posing
Friday: Tricep & Biceps + Posing (I also sometimes throw extra hill sprints in on this day)
Saturday: Hams, Glutes, Quads, Calves, Lower Back + Hill Sprints (high carb/refeed day)

I also do abdominal training several times a week

this was modified from what was originally a 5 day split, where both Sunday and Wednesday were days off. Shoulders and Back were done on Monday and the rest of the schedule was the same.

I have been working out with Vaughan Twigger, who is competing in the IFPA Gaspari Pro Show today...kick ass Vaughan! For those who don't know Vaughan, he is a genetic freak with incredible potential. He continues to improve at an ridiculous rate. Vaughan has amazing shape and symmetry and has added quite a bit of size and thickness to his frame. He is an excellent poser and this year his conditioning is the best it's ever been. I expect him to do quite well! He has been a great workout partner!

We have been using a very high volume approach to training (if I had to guess i'd say that most workout are between 45-60 sets) Even 2-3 weeks out from my first show, we were still doing 7-8 working sets of squats (11-12 sets including warm-ups) with pretty decent weight. Leg workouts might include 8-10 exercises + hill sprints.
The pace of the workouts has been very solid. Upper body days are usually 60-75 minutes (not including posing) and leg days are 75-90 minutes (not including hill sprints). On all upper body days we have been posing for 25 minute rounds immediately following the workout.

Differently from what i've done in the past, at around 6-8 weeks out from my first show I actually stopped doing cardio. I have only been doing hill sprints 2-3 days a week and then I also have been doing yardwork (my lawn takes 1.5 hrs to mow and is significant cardio as is weedwacking the property). Between walking the dogs twice a day and being on my feet all the time as a trainer in addition to all the little tasks that need to be done around the house, eliminating cardio was a good decision that only helped me. In these last few weeks, however, I will probably have to throw in some cardio to get rid of the last bit of stubborn bodyfat in my midsection.

Tomorrow is the beginning of week 21. I am 35 days out of a prep that started at 175 days out. This has been a great prep so far and i'm excited to finish strong in these last 5 weeks.

Scivation
10-10-2009, 03:18 AM
Thanks for all the kind words! Today i'm exactly 5 weeks out from Worlds and things are going quite well. It's leg day #2 of my split and it's also my only refeed/high carb day...my body did not seem to want to wait for the alarm to go off this morning, so I was up at 4:30am. I don't have a client until 7am this morning, so I figured i'd do a little updating in my journal. Saturday morning I like to get 2 meals in prior to my workout and I have clients from either 7-9 or 7-10am, so I workout at either 9 or 10am.
I have been following a 6 day split:
Sunday: Shoulders + Posing
Monday: Back + Posing
Wednesday: off (lowest calorie day of week)
Thursday: Chest & Back + Posing
Friday: Tricep & Biceps + Posing (I also sometimes throw extra hill sprints in on this day)
Saturday: Hams, Glutes, Quads, Calves, Lower Back + Hill Sprints (high carb/refeed day)

I also do abdominal training several times a week

this was modified from what was originally a 5 day split, where both Sunday and Wednesday were days off. Shoulders and Back were done on Monday and the rest of the schedule was the same.

I have been working out with Vaughan Twigger, who is competing in the IFPA Gaspari Pro Show today...kick ass Vaughan! For those who don't know Vaughan, he is a genetic freak with incredible potential. He continues to improve at an ridiculous rate. Vaughan has amazing shape and symmetry and has added quite a bit of size and thickness to his frame. He is an excellent poser and this year his conditioning is the best it's ever been. I expect him to do quite well! He has been a great workout partner!

We have been using a very high volume approach to training (if I had to guess i'd say that most workout are between 45-60 sets) Even 2-3 weeks out from my first show, we were still doing 7-8 working sets of squats (11-12 sets including warm-ups) with pretty decent weight. Leg workouts might include 8-10 exercises + hill sprints.
The pace of the workouts has been very solid. Upper body days are usually 60-75 minutes (not including posing) and leg days are 75-90 minutes (not including hill sprints). On all upper body days we have been posing for 25 minute rounds immediately following the workout.

Differently from what i've done in the past, at around 6-8 weeks out from my first show I actually stopped doing cardio. I have only been doing hill sprints 2-3 days a week and then I also have been doing yardwork (my lawn takes 1.5 hrs to mow and is significant cardio as is weedwacking the property). Between walking the dogs twice a day and being on my feet all the time as a trainer in addition to all the little tasks that need to be done around the house, eliminating cardio was a good decision that only helped me. In these last few weeks, however, I will probably have to throw in some cardio to get rid of the last bit of stubborn bodyfat in my midsection.

Tomorrow is the beginning of week 21. I am 35 days out of a prep that started at 175 days out. This has been a great prep so far and i'm excited to finish strong in these last 5 weeks.

Bring it at World's brother, we have your back and Rob will be there with camera in hand!

The Solution
10-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Bring it at World's brother, we have your back and Rob will be there with camera in hand!

Look forward to seeing you on stage at World's Kurt.

Animal76
10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
It's really closer to 26 days left, because this day is just about over...I have one more meal to get in then i'm off to bed.

This morning began week 22 of contest preparation. It was also both the start of some modifications to my strategy. One reason I give myself as much time as I do to get ready for a show is to allow for necessary modifications and manipulations that enable my body to continue progressing when it hits plateaus. The longer you are in contest prep and the leaner you get, the more resistant your body becomes to getting rid of fat. You can only follow the same protocol for so long before your body becomes acclimated and does not allow for further progress. This is where you need time to recognize a plateau and determine the appropriate means to get past it.

At this point, I have taken my calories about as low as feel it is wise without completely comprising my body, energy level, workouts, muscle fullness, strength and overall balance. There is a point at which dropping calories will yield negative results and based on what I know about myself, taking calories any lower now is not the answer.

I have been regularly including cardio, but this morning I began doing cardio in the am after only consuming a whey isolate with no carbs or fat. Regardless of what any scientific studies say or don't say, I find that cardio in the am following ingestion of just protein helps ME (not necessarily true for everyone) get rid of the last bit of stubborn fat. It's also just different from what i've been doing. So this week will include several days of waking at 4am to get at least 30 min cardio in after which I will get my usual breakfast in.

I have noticed in the recent weeks, that while my legs continue to get granier and more vascular, my upper body has flattened out a bit, which I feel is the result of inadequate recovery due to a 6 day training split + an additional day of posing. I am returning to a 5 day split with a new twist. Sunday (as of today) is now a cardio only day. THe new split looks like this:

Monday: Shoulders & Back + Posing
Wednesday: off (cardio only)
Thursday: Chest & Triceps + Posing
Friday: Lower Back, Hams, Glutes + extra upper & mid back + Hill Sprints
Saturday: Biceps & Calves + Posing + anything additional we feel like doing
Sunday: off (cardio only)

abs are done on a regular basis several days a week with varying volume

This new split allows for greater recovery of my upper body.

a couple other minor modifications I made:
in the morning, I was making eggwhite/oatmeal muffins in advance, while i'll now be cooking my eggwhites as a omelet with spinach and cooking my oatmeal (in some cases mixing rolled oats and oat bran). The overall meal, while almost the same amount of calories will have more substance. This also gives me the ability to manipulate the macros day to day as needed by adjusting the amount of oats/oat bran.In the evening I was just having whey isolate with natty PB before bed. I now cook another eggwhite omelet with spinach (again more substance, which has a satiating effect) and allows me to measure the amount of PB with precision (I put the PB on the omelet...this is F***ing delicious if you've never tried it...I highly recommend it)

6 of my 7 meals are whole foods and include greens. I get 2 serving spinach, 2 servings of broccoli, 2 serving asparagus per day (who said bodybuilding wasn't healthy).

I've been tracking my skinfold measurement and my goal is to do whatever I have to, decrease the chest, thigh and abdominal measurements another .5mm.

Less than 4 weeks left now and i'm excited as hell to hit the stage again and complete the journey.

Animal76
10-18-2009, 04:50 PM
if anyone is curious, my meal breakdown (on a workout day, during the week m/t/th/f)
looks like this:

1) eggwhites/spinach/oats

2) chicken/asparagus (i'm adding a few almonds back into this meal this week)

3) tuna/asparagus

4) (preworkout meal) chicken/broccoli/brown rice

5) (post-workout shake) whey + oats

6) chicken/broccoli

7) eggwhites/spinach/natty pb

much of the fat that was in my diet was taken out over the last 2 months ( I used to use flaxseed meal in the am, almonds with meals 2 & 3, flax oil with meal 4). I gradually eliminated most of it. Right now about 35% of my fat intake comes from Scivation EFA, Sesamin and Primaforce Max CLA.

My tuesday leg day is slightly higher in carbs (I add a sweet potato to meal 3, so that's my 3rd main carb source). Saturday remains my main refeed day and Wednesday is my very low day

Animal76
10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
these pics were taken after my leg workout this past tuesday (10/13/09)

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/P1060457.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/P1060459.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/P1060467.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/P1060482.jpg

devo09
10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Those wheels are SICK!
Sounds like you've got everything planned out perfect. What does your refeed day look like? maybe a couple poptarts on it ;)?

lth
10-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Insane kurt! Look amazing.

Animal76
10-18-2009, 05:12 PM
My Saturday refeed has been around 350g carbs, but I will most likely shave that back this coming saturday. The main differences on this day are:

my workout takes place after meal 2, so meals 1, 2, 3 all have carbs in them (meal 3 is post-workout shake). On the refeed day, the majority of my meals (at least 5 of them) have carbs and in some cases, when i've been more aggressive (6 of them or even all 7, depending on how depleted I am). I also always include steak...usually flank steak in the afternoon/evening. I respond very well to steak, especially when i'm depleted, and i always use it the night before and morning of a show. I seem to do well with flank steak. It has just the right amount of fat in it. Fat ends up being slightly higher than all other days.

As for carb sources, I stick to the what I use the rest of the time (oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes). Refeed days are a good time to test what your body responds well to and in what amounts...this is helpful in determining what you should eat leading up to your show, especially the day before and morning of. Once you figure out what works, stick with it.

Those wheels are SICK!
Sounds like you've got everything planned out perfect. What does your refeed day look like? maybe a couple poptarts on it ;)?

Animal76
10-18-2009, 05:13 PM
thanks!

Insane kurt! Look amazing.

Scivation
10-18-2009, 05:31 PM
This is WHY Kurt is my favorite bodybuilder, in any organization. IFBB, WNBF, INBF, NGA, OPP yeah you know me....

This man is a legend. And above all else, one heck of a friend and person.

We salute you, Kurt!

FATHER FLEX
10-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Kurt is down with OPP? Knew it!

Looking nasty bro.

chuckles_345
10-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Awesome pics and updates. I'm glad to see you posting on here fairly regularily again. The leg shots look like you have gotten even leaner since the CA show. Keep it up!

Chuckles

Animal76
10-20-2009, 03:13 AM
The extra day off from upper body on Sunday and switching to a 5 day split was definitely a wise decision. Yesterday Vaughan and I had a great Shoulder & Back workout, both feeling stronger and more rejuvenated. Volume was pretty high, Strength and intensity was solid:

HS Shoulder Press

Underhand Pull-Downs

One Arm Seated Cable Low Rows

Upright Rows (wide grip with cable)

High Seated Cable Rows (rear delts)

Barbell Rows

Front D-Bell Raises

Pull-ups

Posing

in most cases we did at least 4 working sets (the first few exercises we did more) and incorporated several drop sets here and there.

25 days!!!

fltallpaul
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Congrats on the Victory in Sacramento, your dedication is something I admire and taking your body to a level most are not willing is what moves me. I have been using Brian as my motivation all year and after seeing the pictures on this page well now I have two...after corresponding with Brian earlier this year I decided to follow his approach and diet 24 weeks in my first show...a great decision I now know...

Good Luck at World's I can't wait to see how you and Brian do...wish I could attend that show...

Animal76
10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Thank you! When is your show? What show is it? Best of luck with your training. Good move giving yourself 24 weeks! Brian's approach to contest prep is as sound as possible...he brings it every time he steps onstage!

Congrats on the Victory in Sacramento, your dedication is something I admire and taking your body to a level most are not willing is what moves me. I have been using Brian as my motivation all year and after seeing the pictures on this page well now I have two...after corresponding with Brian earlier this year I decided to follow his approach and diet 24 weeks in my first show...a great decision I now know...

Good Luck at World's I can't wait to see how you and Brian do...wish I could attend that show...

Animal76
10-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Getting ready to go crush legs here in a few. It's a beautiful day in Blacksburg...perfect for some post-leg workout Hill Sprints

Just figured I'd provide my current supplement arsenal to complete my update of what i've been doing with this contest prep. Here's what i'm using:

Multi-Vitamin
Vitamin C (500mg 2x)

Elastamine
Cissus
Max CLA (6 per day, 1 with each whole food meal)
Sesamin (4 per day)
EFA (4-6 servings per day...I take 1 serving with almost every meal)
Alcalean (at least 6 caps per day...3 in the morning and 3 preworkout)
Pure ALA (3x a day...morning, pre and post workout ....basically when I eat complex carbs)
Lean Green (2x...morning and pre workout)
Pro Liver (2 in the am and 2 preworkout)
CoQ10 (30mg in the am and 30mg with preworkout meal)

Been using thermogenics, so I use creaform, nitrocharge and beta alanine (all Primaforce) instead of Vasocharge, although i'm sometimes use the vaso.

Xtend (no brainer) + added Primaforce BCAA powder

fltallpaul
10-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Thank you! When is your show? What show is it? Best of luck with your training. Good move giving yourself 24 weeks! Brian's approach to contest prep is as sound as possible...he brings it every time he steps onstage!

my first contest is Nov 7th, second is the 21st...Layne has done diet from the 18 week mark.

I am doing the NGA American International Championships on Nov 7th, in Coral Springs, Fl. That is a pro qualifier.

Then I travel to Dekalb Illinois for the OCB Midwest States on Nov. 21st, also a PQ. From there I will see how I need to proceed.

Frankdaddy
10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I really enjoy the time yo uare taking to update your journal again as it really lights my fire even more to see advanced bodybuilders give information on what the yare doing, especially one such as yourself that know and can listen to how your body responds to what you are doing everyday. I am excited to see some more improvements and how you place in the largest natty pro show, and I do not doubt you will not be overlooked at this show, good luck man!

Exa123
10-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Getting ready to go crush legs here in a few. It's a beautiful day in Blacksburg...perfect for some post-leg workout Hill Sprints

Just figured I'd provide my current supplement arsenal to complete my update of what i've been doing with this contest prep. Here's what i'm using:

Multi-Vitamin
Vitamin C (500mg 2x)

Elastamine
Cissus
Max CLA (6 per day, 1 with each whole food meal)
Sesamin (4 per day)
EFA (4-6 servings per day...I take 1 serving with almost every meal)
Alcalean (at least 6 caps per day...3 in the morning and 3 preworkout)
Pure ALA (3x a day...morning, pre and post workout ....basically when I eat complex carbs)
Lean Green (2x...morning and pre workout)
Pro Liver (2 in the am and 2 preworkout)
CoQ10 (30mg in the am and 30mg with preworkout meal)

Been using thermogenics, so I use creaform, nitrocharge and beta alanine (all Primaforce) instead of Vasocharge, although i'm sometimes use the vaso.

Xtend (no brainer) + added Primaforce BCAA powder

Hey Kurt do you mind giving some insight into the benefits of the Alcalean, Pro Liver and CoQ10?

Thanks Mate

Animal76
10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
The alcalean is what i'd refer to as a non-stimulatory fat-loss aid. It does not effect the CNS. Acetyl L-carnitine help mobilize fatty acids into the mitochondria...in short, it helps you better utilize your fat, so that you derive energy from it rather than just store it. It enlables the oxidation of fat. I also notice that it aids recovery (when i'm supplementing with alcalean, I do not get the severe lactic acid build up, which is helpful in allowing me to hit hard posing sessions in the days following other intense workouts.

Pro Liver is basically a liver detoxifier, which has N-Acetyl Cysteine and Milk Thistle. Considering the amount of supplements I take a day (I swallow around 80 pills a day), i'm sure my liver is under some stress, so I think it's wise when supplementing heavily to use it.

I am a big fan of anti-oxidants. They are an underrated/overlooked category of supplements. They don't get the prestige that performance based supplements do. Coenzyme Q10 is an anti-oxidant and metabolic enhancer. It help you derive energy from your food. My theory is that if you're restricting calories, then you want to get as much out of the calories you are taking as possible. It's an optimizer.

Hope this helps. I know my explanation is somewhat unscientific.

A couple other supplements I forgot to mention are Knockout, which I take with GABA before bed.

Hey Kurt do you mind giving some insight into the benefits of the Alcalean, Pro Liver and CoQ10?

Thanks Mate

Exa123
10-21-2009, 04:02 AM
The alcalean is what i'd refer to as a non-stimulatory fat-loss aid. It does not effect the CNS. Acetyl L-carnitine help mobilize fatty acids into the mitochondria...in short, it helps you better utilize your fat, so that you derive energy from it rather than just store it. It enlables the oxidation of fat. I also notice that it aids recovery (when i'm supplementing with alcalean, I do not get the severe lactic acid build up, which is helpful in allowing me to hit hard posing sessions in the days following other intense workouts.

Pro Liver is basically a liver detoxifier, which has N-Acetyl Cysteine and Milk Thistle. Considering the amount of supplements I take a day (I swallow around 80 pills a day), i'm sure my liver is under some stress, so I think it's wise when supplementing heavily to use it.

I am a big fan of anti-oxidants. They are an underrated/overlooked category of supplements. They don't get the prestige that performance based supplements do. Coenzyme Q10 is an anti-oxidant and metabolic enhancer. It help you derive energy from your food. My theory is that if you're restricting calories, then you want to get as much out of the calories you are taking as possible. It's an optimizer.

Hope this helps. I know my explanation is somewhat unscientific.

A couple other supplements I forgot to mention are Knockout, which I take with GABA before bed.

Thanks cleared that up for me!

Animal76
10-27-2009, 03:23 AM
Well, my body seems to be responding well to the modifications I made. Over the last 2 weeks i've been pretty aggressive with the cardio (at least 30 min a day + hill sprints twice a week). I took caliper measurements, not only was there a slight decrease in bodyfat, but my weight has been higher. Yesterday I weighed 199.5 lbs and today i was 201 lbs...I was around 198 the week leading up to the US Cup. I'm definitely leaner now.
Since the cardio doesn't seem to be hurting me, I will continue with it on most days at least through this week. I dropped my high carb day and my low days will be less severe, while workout days have a little more carbs than before. I'm working on 2 things now:
1) increase carbohydrate/glucose tolerance, while also staying a little fuller
2) keeping things more stable...less fluctuation in carb intake and overall calories between high and low days

I'm now 18 days out. Today is leg day! I'm excited to crush 'em! This Saturday I am going to get a DEXA scan done, I will continue with my cardio pattern through sunday, take pics and skinfold measurements next monday and then re-evaluate. Next week I will likely back off a little on the cardio to allow my legs to recover heading into the last 2 weeks.

Overall, I feel great and am damn excited to hit the stage!

Animal76
11-02-2009, 06:26 AM
Well, i'm now less than 2 weeks out from Worlds. My body seems to be responding quite well to the modifications i've made in the last couple weeks. I feel great, energy and strength are good and i'm overall happy with progress.

I had a DEXA scan done saturday, which measured me at 4.3% bodyfat and this morning the calipers, based on 7 points, put me at 3.06% (DEXA will always be higher since it measures all bodyfat, not just subcutaneous).

Skinfold measurements (mm):
chest: 2
ab: 4
thigh: 3.5
tricep: 2.5
subscap: 6.5
SI: 3
midax: 2

The good news is that my weight is actually higher than it was the weeks before CA. I weighed 203 lbs this morning at 7:30am.

On August 30th, I measured 3.74% on a 7 point caliper test and I weighed 200.5 lbs at the time, so i've started to add back some lean mass.

I took pics this past Saturday and was pleased with how I looked. I'll take one last set of pics this coming Saturday. At this point, I feel everything is going as it should and i've done everything possible to be my best in 12 days. Just have to finish strong, pose my ass off onstage and let the chips fall where they may. I know my class is going to be stacked, having seen the lineup.

I've already given considerable thought to my transition back into off-season. I have a diet and workout schedule written up in detail to commence Monday morning after Worlds. Sunday will be a travel day, but that Monday (16th) it's back to work with cardio, intense training and a diet that's 95% clean. I already have several weeks of food cooked that has been put in my freezer so when I get back from Worlds I don't have to worry about prepping too much food that week. I plan to implement a new training method, which is my variation of FS-7.

This has been a great prep so far, my best yet! I'm looking forward to hitting the stage again and seeing everything come together.

Quelly
11-02-2009, 10:48 AM
can't wait to see how you do on the 14th kurt!

Frankdaddy
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Dude it is amazing how down to the friggen T you are with everything. You will do great at Worlds no matter the outcome, but roughly 200lbs on stage will be sick and im sure your placing will be well deserved. Keep up the hard work, and become even fuller ;)

ConLaV
11-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Kill it tomorrow...!

Quelly
11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
do your thang tomorrow kurt!

chuckles_345
11-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Good luck tomorrow! Can't wait to see some pics of your conditioning. I have a feeling its going to be a whole new level.

Chuckles

Animal76
11-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Well, my 2009 contest season is now over. In terms of my physique, I am happy with what I brought to the stage. I feel like this is the best package I have presented to this point. I was the heaviest i've ever been (200 lbs onstage) in what I feel was my best condition. I took a disappointing 4th place in the heavyweight class Saturday at WNBF Worlds, but I realize the score from the symmetry round is what likely knocked my placing down quite a bit. I did not get much of a look during the symmetry round, but after a couple of poses in the muscularity round I was moved to the center next to Martin Daniels, where I stayed for the rest of prejudging. I have been fighting the genetic battle my entire bodybuilding career and will continue to do so. I can say that I feel I have made improvements in my symmetry, so I think there is hope. It's tough against a guy like Martin when his waist is the half the size of mine, yet his arms, legs, shoulders and back are twice as big as mine! I will continue to enjoy the challenge I am presented with.

Would like to say thanks to Scivation for the continued support! It was great to see Rob up in NYC and I enjoyed meeting/talking with Bob.

Special thanks to my friends who were there: Josh Phelps & company, Eugene Chuvyrov, Brian Whitacre (who was competing as well), Justin Scheier, Jill Whitacre (sorry if I forgot anyone

and a very special thanks to my mother who traveled with me to both of my shows this year and has always been there for me.
My friends, family and co-workers were all extremely supportive during this entire (half year) contest prep.
Vaughan Twigger (competed at the Yorton) was a great workout partner and helped me elevate my game.

This season and this past weekend has been a great overall experience. I'm looking forward to a solid off-season, which I will post more about.

I will post pics here shortly

lth
11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
You looked amazing kurt.....f'ing shredded and looked full as hell.

Animal76
11-16-2009, 03:04 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060735.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060737.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060738.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060739.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060740.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060712.jpg

Animal76
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/DSC01612.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/DSC01722.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060795.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060800.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060803.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060808.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060812.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060815.jpg

Animal76
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060745.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060747.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060831.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060834.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x240/kweidner/2009%20WNBF%20Worlds/P1060835.jpg

Animal76
11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Shoulders & Back

Overhead D-Bell press
100's x 9, 7, 6, 80's x 10

Wide Grip (pronated) Lat Pull Down
240 x 10,10,9,8

Hanging Leg Raises
3 sets

50's x10, 50's x 8, 40's x 12, 40's x 12

Incline sit-ups
3 sets

Seated Cable Rows
250 x 12, 280 x 8,8,8

Reverse Pec Dec (reverse grip)
148x8,160x8, 150x10,150x8
superset w/
Front D-Bell Raises
35's x 12, 40's x 12, 45's x 10, 50's x 9

Isolated T-bar (w/ chest pad) 7 sets w/ 30-45 seconds in between
135 x 10,8,7
115 x 8,8,8,7

Nautilus Lateral Raise 7 sets w/ 30-45 seconds in between
200 x 12,9,8,8,8,7

crunches

Quelly
11-16-2009, 03:52 PM
much to be proud of kurt, i looked through all the pics and i have to say you looked downright huge this season, the conditioning was also amazing, but what i really noticed was how full and big you looked without sacrificing conditioning...very impressive

chuckles_345
11-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Congrats! I agree that you probably lost points in the symmetry round to Daniels, but in that rear shot of the 2 of you, you make him look like he's holding a good amount of fat espeically in the hammies and glutes. You and Brian were both rediculously lean. Congrats again.

Chuckles

FATHER FLEX
11-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I freaking love your attitude, dissapointed, but no more than a sigh, and its back to making moves. Slowly, but surely bro. You front lat this year which I believe in my opinion, is a pose that is half symmetry, half muscularity pose is so much better. Eric(Quelly) and I were talking about how you are always improving, and to guys like us that are just getting our feet wet, it is very inspiring. Specially for me who finished dead last at my first pro show.

2010?

str8flexed
11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
great job kurt, 4th in a stacked line up is nothing to be ashamed of. Use it for motivation to come back better next year

Scivation
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Kurt, you are my favorite bodybuilder and a close friend. You made the entire Team Scivation and ME very proud to be associated with you.

And you have a great ass.

(no homo)

anti-steroids
11-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Ive only recently come to really know more about the '"on stage" side of this wonderful sport[Focused only on the training/nutrition side] but as I fall more in love with this sport
you sir are right up there with my all time favorites

Animal76
11-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I appreciate the support.

Yesterday was day 2 of my off-season with my variation of FST-7 training
It's going to take a couple of weeks to get my strength back to normal levels so don't laugh at my numbers....they are pathetic right now

Legs

Squats
315 x 12, 335 x10, 355x8, 355x8

Seated Calf Raises
180x10,200x8,180x8,180x8

Seated Leg Curl
250x12,295x8,295x7,265x8

Hack Squats
360x12,450x8,450x8,450x8

Leg Ext (30-45 seconds in between sets)
330x8,330x7,285x8,240x9,240x8,240x8,240x8

HS Horizontal Calf Raise (30-45 seconds in between sets)
360x 12, 9, 9, 8,8,8,8

Fire8085
11-18-2009, 04:00 AM
Both you and brian look fantastic!

On a side note: what do you feed your traps?

Lando33
11-18-2009, 05:20 AM

A steady diet of heavy iron.

caj
11-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Congrats on your great conditioning.

Just out of curiousity, how did Brian do? I'm a huge fan of his.

Lando33
11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Congrats on your great conditioning.

Just out of curiousity, how did Brian do? I'm a huge fan of his.

Brian finished 2nd in the Pro Lightweight Class and in my opinion it could have went either way for 1st and 2nd place.

caj
11-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Brian finished 2nd in the Pro Lightweight Class and in my opinion it could have went either way for 1st and 2nd place.

Thanks, man.

It's rare that Brian doesn't walk away with a 1st place. The guy is a machine.

but this will only motivate him to work harder (if possible).

lostalmost23
11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Congrats on the show, you looked incredible as usual.

serratus
11-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I appreciate the support.

Yesterday was day 2 of my off-season with my variation of FST-7 training
It's going to take a couple of weeks to get my strength back to normal levels so don't laugh at my numbers....they are pathetic right now

Legs

Squats
315 x 12, 335 x10, 355x8, 355x8

Seated Calf Raises
180x10,200x8,180x8,180x8

Seated Leg Curl
250x12,295x8,295x7,265x8

Hack Squats
360x12,450x8,450x8,450x8

Leg Ext (30-45 seconds in between sets)
330x8,330x7,285x8,240x9,240x8,240x8,240x8

HS Horizontal Calf Raise (30-45 seconds in between sets)
360x 12, 9, 9, 8,8,8,8

hahaha << that's me laughing at your numbers

(not!)

Those are impressive numbers for any leg workout, but just a few days from a contest...that's just unreal. You continue to push the envelope, man.

Very impressive pics from the show.. your continual improvements are moto.

garry

Animal76
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Incline Smith Machine Press (steep incline)
225 x12, 265x7, 265x7,245x8

Incline D-Bell Flys
80's x 12, 90's x8, 80's x10, 80's x 10

HS Decline
270 x 12, 330 x 7, 330 x 7, 270 x 10

Weighted Dips w/ 100 lbs

BM Close Grip Chest Press
250x7,225x7,220x7,205x7

Decline Skull Crushers
100x10,10,9,10

Cable Flys (30-40 seconds in between sets)
110x10,110x8,100x8,90x9,80x11,80x10,80x9

Tricep Pushdown (30-40 seconds in between sets)
120x12,120x8,100x11,100x9,100x8,100x8,100x8

Cable Crunches
100x20,120x10,120x10

Animal76
11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks Eric!

much to be proud of kurt, i looked through all the pics and i have to say you looked downright huge this season, the conditioning was also amazing, but what i really noticed was how full and big you looked without sacrificing conditioning...very impressive

Animal76
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks Layne! While I am pleased with my physique for this show, 4th place is a failure for me, but I am using it as motivation to come back better next year.

great job kurt, 4th in a stacked line up is nothing to be ashamed of. Use it for motivation to come back better next year

Animal76
11-20-2009, 09:35 AM
To be honest, in the last year I laid off training traps for the most part. My traps are extremely responsive, while my medial delts are quite stubborn. The balance between the 2 was already off, so I have placed a lot of emphasis on delts, while de-emphasizing traps. I really did not do much shrug work. Most of the trap stimulation I got was more indirect (upright rows and even lateral raises)
I plan to work more traps in this off-season, while continuing to slaughter the delts

Both you and brian look fantastic!

semper27
11-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Obvious improvements from the ground up! Always inspired! Your physique is among the legendary physiques in bodybuilding. I'm already anticipating your run in 2010!

Animal76
11-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Back, Hams, Glutes

SLDL
315x12,365x8,365x8,315x12

Close Grip Pull Downs
220x12,240x8,240x8,220x10

Cable Kickbacks (glutes)
150x10,180x8,180x8

Barbell Rows
225x12,245x8,245x8,225x10

Hyperextension w/ 35 lb plate
12, 12, 12

D-Bell Shrugs (paused reps)
170's x 12, 12,12

Standing Unilateral Leg Curls (30-40 seconds rest in between sets)
95x8,95x8,85x8,80x8,75x8,70x8,65x8

HS Hi Row (30-40 seconds rest in between sets)
330x12,330x8,270x10,270x8,270x8,270x8,270x8

Animal76
11-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Biceps & Calves

EZ Bar Curls
110x12,130x8,110x10,110x10

Seated Calf Raises
135x12,180x12,205x8,205x8,180x12

Alt D-bell Curls
70'sx8,65'sx6,60'sx8,55'sx8

Reverse Standing Calf Raises (30-40 seconds in between sets)
270x12,10,10,9,8,8,8

Hammer Cable Curls (30-40 seconds in between sets)
200x8,200x5,180x6,160x8,150x8,140x8,120x10

I am very pleased with my first week of off-season training. Solid workouts each day

Quelly
11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I am very pleased with my first week of off-season training. Solid workouts each day
I love it, not a minute wasted.

AllDai
11-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Biceps & Calves

EZ Bar Curls
110x12,130x8,110x10,110x10

Seated Calf Raises
135x12,180x12,205x8,205x8,180x12

Alt D-bell Curls
70'sx8,65'sx6,60'sx8,55'sx8

Reverse Standing Calf Raises (30-40 seconds in between sets)
270x12,10,10,9,8,8,8

Hammer Cable Curls (30-40 seconds in between sets)
200x8,200x5,180x6,160x8,150x8,140x8,120x10

Nice work Kurt, the FST-7 is definitely solid. The extra Bicep and Calf day definitely helps with recovery and keeps things moving smoothly. Let me know what next week is going to look like when you get the chance. The hammer cable curls look good, I may have to try that.

Animal76
11-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Shoulders & Back

HS Shoulder Press
270x6,230x11,230x8,230x8 (strength was absolutely pathetic here!)

45's12,50'sx10,50'sx10
drop: 50'sx8>40'sx8>30'sx8

Seated Cable Row
270x12,300x8,300x8,280x8

Cable Upright Row w/ split handle
160x12,180x8,200x8
drop: 180x8>140x8>100x8

Wide Grip Pull-Ups

Reverse Pec Deck (rear delts) w/ reverse grip
145x8,145x8,145x8,130x10
superset w/
Front D-Bell Raises
45'sx12,55's x8,8,8

T-Bar Row w/ chest Pad
135x10,135x7,115x8,115x8,115x8,115x7,90x10

Nautilus Lateral Raise
200x12,10,8,8,8,8,8

Cable Crunches
110x16,16,16

Crunches on floor

Animal76
11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
After giving myself a little leniency (in terms of nutrition) for the first week following my show, i was ready to get back to a strict, regimented nutritional plan today.

Today's food intake:

Meal 1: 65g whey, 1/2 cup oats, 90g blueberries, 1/3 cup smart bran, 13g natty PB

Meal 2: pre-made muffin w/ 1.5 cups liquid eggwhites, .5 cup oats, 4 oz sweet potato (I blended all the ingredient together with some cinnamon and then poured them into aluminum mini loaf tins and baked them...I have also used the waffle maker with the same blended ingredients to make waffles and they are incredible!)

Meal 3: Pre-Made, I blended .5 cup oats, 4oz ground venison, 35g guacamole, 1 cup liquid eggwhites plus some added seasonings...baked them in the same tins...tasted like meatloaf f***Ing incredible!

Meal 4 (preworkout meal): 6oz ground venison, 1.5 cups brown rice, 4oz broccoli, .5 tblspn flax oil

Meal 5: 56g whey isolate, 1 cup oats

Meal 6: 6oz chicken, 4oz broccoli, nature valley granola bar

Meal 7 (to be consumeed before I go to bed): 65g whey, 1 tblspn PB

Protein:346g
Carbs: 274g
Fat: 59g
Fiber: 50g
Calories: 3008

muscleandgains
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Kurt,

Amazing season and also dedication to start eating clean after one week off.
I have 2 small questions

1-why so high protein? what are the benefits?
2- where do you plan on getting most of your carbs from this offseason? what sources?

CCNC4
11-24-2009, 07:35 AM
how long and at what temp do you bake the muffins for

Animal76
11-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks! I did not take the week off as far as eating right. I made sure to get all my meals in and wouldn't allow more than one cheat in a day, but I did make sure I got a chance to have a little bit of every that I want (the things I don't ever allow myself). I kept structure to my day and prioritized food quality and workout nutrition, but then enjoyed some fun food too.

As far as protein, I have always kept my protein high and I seem to respond well to that. Off-season, my protein has typically been 400-450g, which is very high, but if it works don't fix it. I feel as though both carbs and fat have diminishing marginal returns and eating too much of either can yield negative returns. The same is true of protein, but not to the same extent with me. In the off-season I have always eaten 8-9 meals a day, which I think may be unnecessary, so this off-season I am going to try to limit my meals to 7 on most days. My protein intake ends up being high because of the total number of calories I take in. Typical off-season maintenance calorie level for me is around 4200, depending on activity level. Right now I know my metabolism has been drastically slowed from such a long contest season. As it picks back up i'm sure my body will better utilize additional fat and carbs, which means they will make up a greater percentage of total calories.
Sorry for such as long-winded response.

As far as carbs, I stick mainly to oats, sweet potatoes and some brown rice. I also will use quinoa sometimes. To mix it up now and again, i will use Barilla Plus pasta as a pre-workout carb

Kurt,

Amazing season and also dedication to start eating clean after one week off.
I have 2 small questions

1-why so high protein? what are the benefits?
2- where do you plan on getting most of your carbs from this offseason? what sources?

Animal76
11-24-2009, 11:19 AM
the eggwhite/oatmeal/sweet potato muffins: 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes

the mini meatloaf needs to bake longer: 40 minutes or so

how long and at what temp do you bake the muffins for

Animal76
11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Legs

Barbell Squats
315x12,365x10,385x7,365x9

Lying Leg Curls
145x12.160x8,160x8,145x8

Hack Squats
360x12,450x10,500x8,450x8

Leg Ext
330x8,285x8,285x8,240x8,240x8,240x7,200x8

10 plates x 12,12,10,10,8,8,8

Seated Calf Raises
180 (4plates)x10,10,10,10

Weighted Hyperextension
45x12,10,10

Animal76
11-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Chest & Triceps
(shoulders were still very tight today, which affected my strength, but I still had a great workout)

Incline BB Press
225x12,245x8,245x6,225x10

D-Bell Flys
70'sx12,80'sx12,90'sx8,80'sx10

HS Decline
270x11,270x8,270x8,270x8

Tricep Pushdown
120x12,130x7,120x9,110x10

BM Close Grip Chest Press
250x6,220x7,220x7,220x6

Cable Flys
100x15,100x9,100x7,90x8,80x9,70x12,70x12

Wide Grip Skull Crushers
110x6,90x8,90x7,70x11,70x9,70x8,70x9

Carlito99
11-26-2009, 09:27 AM
What does BM stand for in BM Close Grip Chest Press?

Animal76
11-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Bodymaster

What does BM stand for in BM Close Grip Chest Press?

Animal76
11-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Back, Hams, Glutes

SLDL
315x12,365x12,405x8,365x8,315x12

Underhand Pull Downs
220x12,260x8,260x6,240x8,220x8

BM Lying Leg Curl
130x12,145x10,160x7,130x10

Nautilus T-Bar Row
3plates x 12, 4pl x 8,8,8

Barbell Step-ups
154x5,6,6 (each leg)

Barbell Shrugs (paused reps)
315x12, 405 x12, 12,12

One Arm Row using t-bar row
2pl x12, 3pl x7, 2 plx12

Seated Leg Curl
295x8,265x9,265x8,250x8,235x10,235x9,235x10

HS DY Row
270x12,270x8,270x7,230x8,230x8,230x8,230x8

Frankdaddy
11-27-2009, 05:56 PM
GREAT workouts right afer post show and knowing you are probably still extremely lean. How do you feel during the SLDL and Squats as far as stamina goes because it looks to be when you drop back down the reps are slightly less or higher on some sets. I am just wondering what the thoughts are and feelings during those sets, as I feel this is what makes lifting so extreme and its not described enough :)

Animal76
11-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm definitely no longer lean! I have felt good with the large compound movements, but my muscles are still adapting to the repeated bouts of heavier weight, which is why there is a decline in reps. I don't feel tired or fatigued, I just hit failure faster the second/third time around with the heavier sets. Part of that is because i've been tight/sore...recovery between workouts isn't quite up to par and finishing with the 7 sets of 8-12 really breaks down the muscle fiber. For instance, when I hit chest & triceps on thursday my shoulders were still sore as hell from Monday and I actually had to ice them after the workout. My shoulders were still sore today. Yesterday when I was doing SLDLs, my lower back was still a little tight from squats on tuesday. I'm pushing through and forcing the muscles to work, but that's why the reps drop off. In another couple of weeks I expect recovery to be more optimal.Vaughan and I are going to be changing our workout split soon. We might follow this one for another week, but I already came up with something new and different.

GREAT workouts right afer post show and knowing you are probably still extremely lean. How do you feel during the SLDL and Squats as far as stamina goes because it looks to be when you drop back down the reps are slightly less or higher on some sets. I am just wondering what the thoughts are and feelings during those sets, as I feel this is what makes lifting so extreme and its not described enough :)

Animal76
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Biceps & Calves

Cable Curls
200x, 12, 12,9,8

Reverse Standing Calf Raises
4plx12,6plx10,8plx8,8plx7,6plx10

Seated Alt D-Bell Curls
60'sx8,8,6,6

Seated Calf Raises
135x12,180x9,180x8,180x8,135x12

HS Preacher Curl
115x10,115x7,100x8,90x8,80x9,70x12

HS Horizontal Calf Raise
360x15,11,10,9,8,8,8

Animal76
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Day 1 of new workout split

Shoulders & Calves

Overhead D-Bell Press
100's x12, 110'sx4,100'sx8,100'sx6

50'sx12,60'sx8,60'sx7,50'sx15

6platesx12,8plx10,10plx8,8plx8,6plx12

Front Raises w/ Bar
80x12,100x10,100x8,80x8

Seated Calf Raises
180x10,205x6,180x7,135x15

Seated High Cable Rows
120x12,160x8,150x10,140x12

Vertical Calf Raises on smith machine
8plates x15,12,12,10,10,10,8

Cable Upright Rows w/ split handle
170x15,200x8,200x8,170x10,170x8,150x12,150x10

Animal76
12-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Quads & Hamstrings

Squats
385x10,405x8,425x6,365x10

Lying Leg Curl
145x12,175x8,175x7,160x8

Hack Squats
450x8,540x7,450x8,360x12

Barbell Walking Lunges
135 x 3 sets

Leg Ext
7 sets (didn't record weight or reps)

Quelly
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Quads & Hamstrings

Squats
385x10,405x8,425x6,365x10

Lying Leg Curl
145x12,175x8,175x7,160x8

Hack Squats
450x8,540x7,450x8,360x12

Barbell Walking Lunges
135 x 3 sets

Leg Ext
7 sets (didn't record weight or reps)

nice squats kurt, what's your pr on those?

Animal76
12-01-2009, 06:01 PM
It's been awhile since i've gone really heavy on squats, but around 7-8 weeks out from the US Cup this summer, i was able to squat 405 for 14 reps at a bodyweight of 206-208 lbs.
I'm still a ways off, but the good thing is that my strength seems to be increasing every week. I feel very comfortable with heavy weight and anticipate setting some new PRs as my off-season continues.
At one point, when I was working out with Brian years ago, I squatted 500 for 10 reps and 585 for 5 reps (with knee wraps), but I know my form and depth has gotten much better since then, so i'm looking to reset my standard this off-season.

Animal76
12-01-2009, 06:31 PM
this video was taken July 14th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSRoxGCB9U

Quelly
12-01-2009, 07:29 PM
beautiful....that's some squatting there kurt...you ever think about doing some powerlifting meets? You could do some damage in the raw, drug tested 220's

FATHER FLEX
12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
this video was taken july 14th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tusroxgcb9u

animal!

Animal76
12-02-2009, 02:17 AM
I made the decision awhile back that I wanted to go as far as I can with bbing and so I never got into powerlifting (aside from incorporating the movements in my training). I think it has to be one or the other, because powerlifting style training is really not conducive to progressing as a bber and vice versa. As a bodybuilder with the main goal of attaining hypertrophy, I don't see any benefit to ever dropping below 6 reps and I prefer to keep reps in the 8-12 range most of the time (the only exercise I ever went less on was deadlifts, but I don't really do traditional deads anymore). Going that heavy puts tremendous stress on the joints, tendons and ligaments and exposes you to potential injury. I would have never forgiven myself if I had gotten injured trying to be a powerlifter when my passion is bbing.

beautiful....that's some squatting there kurt...you ever think about doing some powerlifting meets? You could do some damage in the raw, drug tested 220's

Quelly
12-02-2009, 10:12 AM
I made the decision awhile back that I wanted to go as far as I can with bbing and so I never got into powerlifting (aside from incorporating the movements in my training). I think it has to be one or the other, because powerlifting style training is really not conducive to progressing as a bber and vice versa. As a bodybuilder with the main goal of attaining hypertrophy, I don't see any benefit to ever dropping below 6 reps and I prefer to keep reps in the 8-12 range most of the time (the only exercise I ever went less on was deadlifts, but I don't really do traditional deads anymore). Going that heavy puts tremendous stress on the joints, tendons and ligaments and exposes you to potential injury. I would have never forgiven myself if I had gotten injured trying to be a powerlifter when my passion is bbing.

I didn't necessarily mean devoting your training to power lifting, but perhaps taking the strength you've amassed from bodybuilding and just competing in a power lifting meet.

And interesting input, I tend towards an all or nothing approach sometimes too, so I understand that mentality.

Animal76
12-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I would never devote my training to anything other than bbing. Regardless, performing a one rep max (especially when it's not what you typically train for) can easily cause an injury and it only takes once.
I had given it consideration years ago, but decided against it, because i'm unwilling to change my training style and all and did not want to jeopardize bbing

I didn't necessarily mean devoting your training to power lifting, but perhaps taking the strength you've amassed from bodybuilding and just competing in a power lifting meet.

And interesting input, I tend towards an all or nothing approach sometimes too, so I understand that mentality.

Animal76
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I can definitely relate well to the all or nothing approach...I have a little bit of a problem with moderation and when it comes to competition of any type, winning is everything

Fire8085
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
When do you start using belts/wraps for squats and deadlifts? Use them for anything else?

Animal76
12-02-2009, 05:33 PM
I actually do not use knee wraps at all...not good for the knees. I only use Rehband Knee Sleeves. I used wraps only on very heavy sets a long, long time ago.
When I squat I like to save the belt for 405

If I do a burnout set at the end with 315 i'll wear the belt, but not as tight

I've actually been doing SLDLs without a belt lately. I used it for the sets with 405, but i've gone up to 365 with no belt

When do you start using belts/wraps for squats and deadlifts? Use them for anything else?

Quelly
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I would never devote my training to anything other than bbing. Regardless, performing a one rep max (especially when it's not what you typically train for) can easily cause an injury and it only takes once.
I had given it consideration years ago, but decided against it, because i'm unwilling to change my training style and all and did not want to jeopardize bbing
understood kurt

I can definitely relate well to the all or nothing approach...I have a little bit of a problem with moderation and when it comes to competition of any type, winning is everything
well hey man, everybody has problems :) most people don't have the ability to identify them or admit their existence in the first place as a problem...and hey...at least your problem has the side effect that you tend to win stuff :)

Animal76
12-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Triceps, Biceps, Abs

Tricep Pushdown

BB Curls

Skull Crushers

Alt D-Bell Curls

Overhead Cable Ext

HS Preacher Curl

Tricep Rope Press

Cable Crunches

Incline sit-ups

did not record weights or reps

Animal76
12-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Back & Traps

Close Grip Pull Downs
220x12,240x9,240x8,220x10

HS One Arm Seated Row
3plx12,4plx12,4plx12
drop:4plx12>3plx8>2plx8

T-Bar Row w. chest pad
3plx12,4plx4,3plx10,3plx10

HS Seated Shrugs
270x15,360x10,360x10,360x20,270x15

Pull-Ups

Stiff Arms Lat Pulls
100x12,110x8,100x8,100x8

WG Lat Pull Down
220x12,240x10,240x8,220x10

HS DY Row
270x8,8,8,8

devo09
12-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey kurt, are there any specific areas that you are looking to target this off-season?

Animal76
12-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Delts need serious improvement, that is one of my weak points, need to add size to my arms, so that I don't look like a basketball player standing next to someone like Martin Daniels and I definitely need to add shape to my hamstrings. They are very flat in the side relaxed pose. I also want to continue to bring up my calves.

Hey kurt, are there any specific areas that you are looking to target this off-season?

Fire8085
12-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Delts need serious improvement, that is one of my weak points, need to add size to my arms, so that I don't look like a basketball player standing next to someone like Martin Daniels and I definitely need to add shape to my hamstrings. They are very flat in the side relaxed pose. I also want to continue to bring up my calves.

Your weak point is a strong point on someone else.

Another boost of confidence as well since you are pretty hard on yourself...

My friend was talking about someone he saw shirtless at the gym who was "cut."

I showed him a picture of you and his jaw dropped. He asked if the pic was photoshopped lol

Animal76
12-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Chest & Delts

HS Incline
360x12,410x6,360x8
drop:270x16>180x7>90x10

D-Bell Flys on ball
70'sx12,85'sx9,85'sx8,85'sx8

Smith Machine Military Press
2 plates per side x 8,7,6

Decline Push-ups (feet elevated on bench) using d-bells

60x12,60x8,50x10,50x8,40x12,40x8,30x8 (7 continuous sets, alternating between sides with no rest)

Pec Deck
205x8,190x7,175x6,160x7,145x7,130x8,115x10 (7 continuous sets, alternating with workout partner)

Animal76
12-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Legs

Squats
385x12,425x10,455x6,385x10,315x15

SLDL
315x12,405x8,365x8,315x12

6plx12,8plx10,8plx8,6plx10

Nautilus Lying Leg Curl
120x12,130x8,130x6,100x10

Leg Ext
330x8,330x8,330x6,285x8

Seated Calf Raises
135x15,180x12,205x6,180x10

Hyperextension

Fire8085
12-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Do you have any pictures of you starting out?

Quelly
12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
425 x 10

holy crap

Animal76
12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.kurtweidner.net/progress.html

Do you have any pictures of you starting out?

Animal76
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Seated Cable Rows
330x12,325x8,335x6,325x8,300x10

WG Pull Down
280x10,280x8,260x12,260x10,240x12

Barbell Rows
225x12,275x7,225x12,225x10

BB Shrugs (paused reps)
315x12,405x12,405x12,405x10

Seated Alt D-bell Curls
60'sx9,7,6

Stiff Arm Lat Pull
100x15,115x10,115x8

HS Preacher Curl
115x8,6

Cable Crunches
3 sets

HS Lat Pull Down
270x6,6

Tendonitus in my forearms and shoulders was flaring up really bad towards the end of the workout, had to cut some things short. I really was not able to effectively train biceps and it also cut into my strength on some back movements. When I finished my arms and shoudlers were throbbing (not in a good way)

Animal76
12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
HS Shoulder Press
270x12.290x6,270x8,180x20

55'sx12,60'sx7,55'sx8,45'x16
drop:45'sx15>35''sx6>25'sx10>15'sx10

Cable Upright Rows w/ Split Handle
150x12,180x10,200x10,200x8
drop: 180x10>150x8>120x8>90x8

Cable Flys
100x22,120x9,110x8,100x10

Tricep Rope press
50x30,25,20

had to stop workout, tendonitus was absolutely awful!

Animal76
12-09-2009, 07:35 AM
someone shared this with me last night (I know Brian made a post about it on naturalphysique forum):

http://www.simplyshredded.com/top-20-best-natural-physiques.html

A lot of top-notch bbers on this list. There are a couple of guys who i'm not familiar with (must compete in other organizations)

I don't understand why Clarence McGill or Brandon Greenwood wouldn't be on this list...they've both won the overall title at WNBF Pro Worlds

Martin Daniels should also be up there for sure. I would think that Kareem Petteway has to be considered, having one multiple pro weight classes and I know he's won at least one Pro Overall title (Mr. Int'l). I'm sure i'm forgetting several others.

Nonetheless, I found the list interesting and think it's awesome to recognize some of the top natty bbers who have set an example in the sport for what can be achieved without the use of drugs

Lando33
12-09-2009, 07:47 AM
someone shared this with me last night (I know Brian made a post about it on naturalphysique forum):

http://www.simplyshredded.com/top-20-best-natural-physiques.html

A lot of top-notch bbers on this list. There are a couple of guys who i'm not familiar with (must compete in other organizations)

I don't understand why Clarence McGill or Brandon Greenwood wouldn't be on this list...they've both won the overall title at WNBF Pro Worlds

Martin Daniels should also be up there for sure. I would think that Kareem Petteway has to be considered, having one multiple pro weight classes and I know he's won at least one Pro Overall title (Mr. Int'l). I'm sure i'm forgetting several others.

Nonetheless, I found the list interesting and think it's awesome to recognize some of the top natty bbers who have set an example in the sport for what can be achieved without the use of drugs

Because it is far from a definitive list. It was put together pretty half-assed. Doug Miller didn't even make the first edition of the list.

MD, Brandon, Reemo and a bunch of other top competitors were completely left off of the list. That in and of itself completely destroys its credibility.

Animal76
12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Back, Traps, Rear Delts

Wide Grip Lat Pull Down
270x12,300x9,300x8,270x12,240x18

Seated Cable Rows
260x12,300x12, 325x8,350x6,300x10

HS Hi Row
270x12,360x8,360x7,360x6,270x15

Barbell Shrugs (paused reps)
315x12,405x12,495x6,495x5,405x10

Reverse Cable Flys
110x8,100x10,100x8,100x8

Close Grip Pull-ups

HS Lat Pull Down
270x7,270x6,180x13

Stiff Arm Lat Pulls
110x8,110x6,100x6,80x10

Close Grip Pull Downs (30 seconds in between sets)
220x8,220x6,200x6,180x7,160x10,160x8,160x8

Cable Crunches
3 sets

Animal76
12-25-2009, 10:55 AM
Quads & Calves

did not feel particularly strong this morning, but managed to have a decent workout anyway...knees have been feeling like sh*t lately!

Squats
315x10,365x10,385x10,405x8
pauses: 315x8,6,6

4plx12,6plx12,8plx8,8plx5,6plx10,6plx10

Hack Squats
warm-ups 180x10,270x10
slow descents 360x8,8,8

Seated Calf Raises
135x16,180x10,180x8,180x8,135x16

Leg Ext
240x18,12,10,10

Animal76
12-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Chest & Arms

today was a scheduled workout day, but my arms were so damn sore from workout earlier in the week that I struggled to do much. The main goal of the workout was blood circulation.

I was able to do 225 lbs for 16 reps on Incline Barbell Press, which is nothing impressive, but it's good for me, being that my chest is pathetically weak!

Incline Barbell
Cable Curl
Incline Cable Flys
Alt D-Bell Curls
HS Incline
Tricep Rope Press
Tricep pushdown w/ circular attachment

K-Dawg_05
12-27-2009, 10:47 AM
hey kurt your a true inspiration.. I was just curious what your current marcros and calories are at the moment? thanks man

BigAnf
12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
http://www.simplyshredded.com/wnbf-pro-kurt-weidner.html

K-Dawg_05
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.simplyshredded.com/wnbf-pro-kurt-weidner.html

thanks man

AllDai
12-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Good article Kurt. Keep on posting those workouts, it's a big help!

Animal76
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
30 minutes AM cardio on elliptical after meal 1: 5 min warm-up, 20 min HIIT, 5 min cool-down

avg HR: 118
Max HR: 143

Shoulders & Back
WG Pronated Lat Pull Down
Overhead D-Bell Press
Nautilus T-Bar Rows
HS DY Row
Reverse Flys on Pec Deck
Close Grip Pull Downs
Cable Upright Rows
Cable Pullovers

Today's Macros:
protein: 383
carbs: 196
fat: 72

Animal76
12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
25 minutes AM cardio (15 min treadmill, 10 min bike)

Legs
H-Squat
4plx20,6plx20,8plx15,10plx15,14plx12,14plx7,12plx1 0

BM Lying Leg Curl
145x12,175x8,190x5,160x6

Vertical Calf Raises (lying on back) on Smith Machine
6plx20,8pl x 15, 15, 15, 15

Unilateral Leg Press
2plx12,4plx12,6plx12,8plx8
superset w/
6plx12,10plx10,10,10

Barbell Squats
315x15 (regular), pauses: 315x6,6

Walking Lunges

Seated Calf Raises
135x15,180x10,180x8,180x8,135x16

Unilateral Leg Ext
120x12,140x10,160x8,180x6

Hyperextension w/ 45 lb plate

despite both my knees and lower back feeling like sh*t, i still managed to have a good leg workout

Animal76
12-31-2009, 01:22 PM
25 minutes AM cardio on treadmill (did 20 min last night on elliptical)

Shoulders are still giving me a lot of issues, which is holding me back considerably on some exercises

Chest & Triceps
D-Bell Flys on Stability Ball
40'sx15,60'sx15,80'sx15,100'sx11,100'sx8,80'sx10,6 5'sx15
Incline Barbell
225x8,6
drop:245x5>195x4>145x6>95x10
Cable Flys
120x8,120x6,100x8,80x18
Dips
100x5,5 45x14, bdwtx21
Close Grip Press on Smith Machine
170x8,6,6,6
Incline Skull Crushers
110x11,10,10
Tricep Pushdown
drop:100x20>75x7>50x10

Animal76
01-01-2010, 08:50 AM
20 minutes AM cardio

had a good workout this morning, but my strength is f***ing pathetic right now, which is beyond frustrating...i'm doing what I can to fight through and work around pain so I can continue to get good workouts, but i'm really tired of feeling like a fat, pathetic piece of sh*t

Back, Traps & Biceps
WG Lat Pull Down
160x15,200x12,220x10,250x10,280x10,250x10,250x10
Seated Cable Rows
160x15,220x15,250x12,280x7
drop:250x10>200x7>150x8
HS One Arm Low Row
3plx15,4plx12,4plx10,4plx10,4plx12
Stiff Arm lat pulls
100x12,10,10
EX Bar Curls
70x10,120x9,140x4,120x6,90x10
Lying Cable Curls
100x8,100x8,100x8,80x10
HS Seated Shrugs
270x15,360x10,10,10
Hammer D-Bell Curls
45'sx10,8,7

I'll be taking the entire weekend off and hope that my shoulders, knees, elbows and lower back all feel better on monday with the needed rest

ehlisl
01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I'll be taking the entire weekend off and hope that my shoulders, knees, elbows and lower back all feel better on monday with the needed rest

Always impressive work Kurt! You had a great year and all you hard work showed in the physique you brought to the stage. Rest up this weekend.

So what are the plans for 2010?

Animal76
01-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Thanks! My plan is to continue training my ass off and then see where i'm at in a few months, before I decide whether i'll hit the stage in 2010. First I need to get my body functioning optimally. I have some minor injuries/issues i'm working on getting fixed.
I also want to see how my body responds over the next few months. Maintaining low bodyfat/low calories for as long as I did with 7 weeks in between shows this year took it's toll on my metabolism. I'm not going to start contest dieting again if my body has not adequately recovered from the previous season, because i'll then be just setting myself back even more.
Right now i want weight, bodyfat, and strength to be optimal before I consider prepping for another show.
Furthermore, I need to see what kind of progress I make over the next few months. I'm not interested in another 4th place finish. This year was beyond disappointing! Failing to even finish in the top 3 was a monumental failure for me that has not been easy to deal with...having people ask me about the show, how i did or comment on it is less fun than just getting kicked in the nuts!

Bottom line: I will take as long as I need to make necessary improvements so that the next time I do step onstage i'm able to look back on my performance with some degree of pride and I don't feel like a complete failure

to summarize my pro career thus far, anytime i've had more than 6 guys in my class, I haven't placed higher than 3rd...that's just unacceptable! Serious improvements need to be made, before I waste my time getting onstage again.

Always impressive work Kurt! You had a great year and all you hard work showed in the physique you brought to the stage. Rest up this weekend.

So what are the plans for 2010?

Quelly
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Kurt...I know you know this....but you were 1st of 6 at the Sac Pro show in the heavies, and then you beat World Champion Shaun Clarida in the overall and won your first pro show this year...give yourself some credit!

Animal76
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks, but Worlds was the focus of my season and the conclusion...despite anything good that happened prior to that, it was a bad ending and left a sour taste in my mouth and it's what I remember best. I've been bitter ever since.

Kurt...I know you know this....but you were 1st of 6 at the Sac Pro show in the heavies, and then you beat World Champion Shaun Clarida in the overall and won your first pro show this year...give yourself some credit!

Animal76
01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
SLDL
135x15,135x15,225x15,315x15,365x10,385x8,365x8, 315x12
(strength sucks!!!)
Seated Leg Curl
220x15,265x10,295x6,295x5,235x10
SM Split Squats
2platesx10,10,4plx10,10
HS Calf Raises
6plx15,8plx10,10,10,8
Standing Unilateral Leg Curls
75x12,95x8,90x8
Cable Kickbacks
120x12,12,12
6plx7,7,7,7
Hyperextension
Seated Calf Raises
3plx12,12,12

Animal76
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
HS Incline
360x12,7,6, 270x12
Incline D-Bell Flys
50'sx15,65'sx15,80'sx12,80'sx9,70'sx11
HS Decline
270x10,8,6,5
Nautilus Lateral Raise
200x20,12,11
drop: 200x10>150x5>100x6
Standing Mil. Press
135x6,6,5,6
Pec Deck
160x14,175x8,175x7
drop:160x8>130x5>100x6>70x10
Upright Rows w/ D-Bells
35'sx15,45'sx15,50'sx10,50'sx10
Tricep Rope Press
50x35,25,20

muscleandgains
01-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Kurt what exactly is your training aproach this year? as far as routines. I am also curious what you think of the higher fat lower cab diets? I was very impressed with all your acomplishments last year and i know that you will do nothing but exeed expectations next time you are on stage.

Super Numb
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Kurt, just wondering if you could explain how to perform the vertical calf raise on Smith Machine?

Thanks!

Animal76
01-06-2010, 10:57 AM
The current split we're using:

M: Back + Shoulders
T: Legs - full leg workout
W: rest
T: Chest + Tris
F: Back + Bis
S: Calves + Traps + abs
S: Rest
M: Legs- hams, glute focus
T: Chest + Front and side delts
W: Rest
T: Back + rear delts
F: legs - Quad and calf focus
S: Chest + arms
S: Rest

We're continuing to train in somewhat high volume. Right now my main goal is to be able to train without pain and without limitations. My knees and elbows are feeling better, but my shoulders are still giving me trouble and holding me back on many of my upper body exercises. My overall approach is pretty similar to what i've used in the past (not sure how successful it's actually been). High volume, variety of exercises, most working sets in the 8-12 range, fast-paced workouts, inclusion of supersets and drop sets.

I need to get leaner and stay leaner! I have been doing cardio every day and aim towards improving overall work capacity within each workout every day.

As far as higher fat, lower carb, everyone is different and responds differently to different approaches. Having said that, I think that it's important to realize there are diminishing marginal returns to any macronutrient. There are limits to how high or low any nutrient should be before the benefit is erased and the extremes become negative. Inclusion of fat is important and very beneficial, but there's a point which becomes too much.
It's also important to realize that as one's body composition changes, the way he/she metabolizes nutrients also changes. This is why the approach used needs to be modified along the way. You can't just follow a simple one rule approach.

Kurt what exactly is your training aproach this year? as far as routines. I am also curious what you think of the higher fat lower cab diets? I was very impressed with all your acomplishments last year and i know that you will do nothing but exeed expectations next time you are on stage.

Animal76
01-06-2010, 10:59 AM
this is done lying on your back with your feet on the bar above you

Kurt, just wondering if you could explain how to perform the vertical calf raise on Smith Machine?

Thanks!

RUBICON19
01-06-2010, 11:14 AM
AMAZING Bodybuilder and a TRUE INSPIRATION!!!

RDTRANTHAM
01-06-2010, 11:27 AM
kurt i always love toread your post. true champion. keep up the hard work. one of theses days we will have to get together to train!!

Animal76
01-07-2010, 04:18 AM
I would love to get together to hit a training session some time! That would be awesome!

kurt i always love toread your post. true champion. keep up the hard work. one of theses days we will have to get together to train!!

Animal76
01-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Here are my macros for the week thus far (this includes everything...protein, carbs, fat from veggies, protein powder, etc, I don't leave anything out)

Monday
Protein:408
Carbs: 208
Fat: 72
Fiber: 45
Calories: 3113

Tuesday (calories were slightly higher, because I stayed up to watch Team USA win the gold in the IIHF Junior World Championship...F*CK YEAH!!!:
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/80882507.html

Protein:436
Carbs: 243
Fat: 78
Fiber: 50
Calories: 3414

Wed
Protein:336
Carbs: 120
Fat: 65
Fiber: 30
Calories: 2409

Thurs (today)
Protein:3359
Carbs: 205
Fat: 72
Fiber: 37
Calories: 2902

I have done 30 minutes cardio every morning this week

FATHER FLEX
01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
A hockey fan eh! I was supposed to go to my first game a few weeks back. We got sharks in the water around here! I was dissapointed that I could not make it, but looking forward to it. I hear its like no other sport when it comes to seeing it in person.

Animal76
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Best sport in the world! No Comparison! Nothing matches the speed, intensity, conditioning, skill or passion displayed in the game of hockey.
The IIHF Junior World Championship was a great tournament to watch. It showcased the up and coming stars that will be be the future of the NHL. The games featured intense rivalries such as Team USA vs Team Canada and you could just feel the pride each player had in representing his country.
A hockey fan eh! I was supposed to go to my first game a few weeks back. We got sharks in the water around here! I was dissapointed that I could not make it, but looking forward to it. I hear its like no other sport when it comes to seeing it in person.

devo09
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Best sport in the world! No Comparison! Nothing matches the speed, intensity, conditioning, skill or passion displayed in the game of hockey.
The IIHF Junior World Championship was a great tournament to watch. It showcased the up and coming stars that will be be the future of the NHL. The games featured intense rivalries such as Team USA vs Team Canada and you could just feel the pride each player had in representing his country.
Every game between Canada/USA as been getting better too!
The Gold Medal game was a big-time heartbreaker for me though :( lol, but at least my Oilers seem to have made a good pick-up with Eberle :D

I remember reading that you played college hockey? Nice!

Animal76
01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Eberle is a clutch player! The Oilers got a great find there. I have to be honest, I was nervous as hell when he scored 2 goals at the end of the 3rd to tie it up.
Both games between the US and Canada were great hockey games to watch, regardless of who you were rooting for. I am excited to see that the talent level amongst the youth of US hockey is now comparable to Canada's. I'm sure Canada still has greater depth, but the best US players are just as good now and US hockey has come along way over the past few decades.

I did play hockey in college way back in the day :)

Every game between Canada/USA as been getting better too!
The Gold Medal game was a big-time heartbreaker for me though :( lol, but at least my Oilers seem to have made a good pick-up with Eberle :D

I remember reading that you played college hockey? Nice!

Frankdaddy
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
How come you want to become leaner, wouldnt this be the reason for your body aching to stay SO lean during your offseason?

Animal76
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Back, Traps, Rear Delts

One Arm Lat Pull Down
70x10,80x10,90x10,100x10,120x10120x9
drop:120x8>90x8>60x10

Barbell Rows
135x10,225x12,275x8,295x6,275x8
drop:235x12>185x10>135x12

HS DY Row
270 (3 plates per side)x10,290x8,290x6
drop:270x7>180x9>90x16

D-Bell Shrugs (pauses)
170'sx12,12,12,

Reverse Cable Flys
100x11,100x12,100x7,80x15

HS Hi Row
320x11,360x7,360x6,270x12

Alt D-bell Curls
60'sx7,50'sx7,50'sx6,40'sx8

Underhand Pull Downs
220x9,220x7,180x10,180x9

Animal76
01-07-2010, 04:10 PM
my body prefers to be leaner...I am stronger, have more energy and no joint pain when I am lean. I do not do well when i'm carrying too much weight. There is no reason for me to be more then 10-15 lbs above contest weight.

How come you want to become leaner, wouldnt this be the reason for your body aching to stay SO lean during your offseason?

Animal76
01-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Quads & Calves
Squats
135x10,135x10,225x10,225x5,315x10,365x10,405x9,385 x9,315x15 (my strength on squats is a joke right now...i was stronger at 206 lbs!)

4plx10,6plx12,8plx8,8plx7,6plx10

Hack Squats
4plx10,6plx10
Slow descents 8plx6,6,6 (pathetic!!!)

Seated Calf Raises
135x20,180x10,180x10,160x12

Unilateral Leg Press
4plx20,6plx15,8plx10
superset w/
Vertical Leg Press
6plx12,7plx12,7plx12
superset w/
Calf Raises on Vertical Leg Press
6plx12,7plx10,7plx10

Unilateral Leg Ext
150x10,170x6,160x6

RDTRANTHAM
01-09-2010, 05:55 AM
kurt i would not worry to much about the weight you are moving( i know and understand that you want to be the best and that you feel like you are not making inprovements if the weights don't increase)( you truely are a competitor) the truth is you still are working and breaking down the muscle fibers and are repairing themsleves,so i think you still can and are bulding muscle to some degree. i truely wish i still could squat those numbers, personally as i get older i am finding out that my leg(squats) seem to stay the same. for some reason thats the only exercise and bodypart that doen't get stronger. i don't know if its all the wear and tear of the diets along w/ the basketball and long distance running i used to do! but any they just are not as strong as they used to be. kurt you are truely a champion. lighten up on yourself, work hard (as you already do). again you truely are a champion!!!! just do your best thats all you can ask yourself. good luck david trantham

Animal76
01-09-2010, 08:30 AM
David, I know you are right and while I get frustrated at times with not being able to move the weight i know i'm capable of, I have focused on just getting good muscle fiber recruitment each workout. I don't expect to be able to certain things anymore. There was a time when I did almost all my working sets on squats with 5 plates per side....that's not going to happen again, because my knees and lower back can't take it. In fact I don't think it's beneficial for me to even go above 405 anymore. The funny thing is that I know my legs have better development now than when I was able to squat a lot more, because there overall work capacity is higher now. The frustrating thing is that I was able to do more reps on all weights (squats) this past summer, when I weighed 206-208 lbs (I competed at 200 lbs). While I don't expect to be able to squat with 500 lbs on the bar anymore, there's no reason I should not be cranking out serious reps with 405, especially since I was able to do so at 4.5% bodyfat. That's what I find very frustrating.

I'm having massage therapy and acupuncture done on my shoulders, i'm being careful to avoid overtraining and i'm working on getting and keeping my weight down, so I expect things to improve with regards to the physical issues that are holding me back.

kurt i would not worry to much about the weight you are moving( i know and understand that you want to be the best and that you feel like you are not making inprovements if the weights don't increase)( you truely are a competitor) the truth is you still are working and breaking down the muscle fibers and are repairing themsleves,so i think you still can and are bulding muscle to some degree. i truely wish i still could squat those numbers, personally as i get older i am finding out that my leg(squats) seem to stay the same. for some reason thats the only exercise and bodypart that doen't get stronger. i don't know if its all the wear and tear of the diets along w/ the basketball and long distance running i used to do! but any they just are not as strong as they used to be. kurt you are truely a champion. lighten up on yourself, work hard (as you already do). again you truely are a champion!!!! just do your best thats all you can ask yourself. good luck david trantham

Fire8085
01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Have you noticed huge improvements with your body composition with the 2g/lb of bodyweight of protein?

Do more carbs seem to help your strength?

Animal76
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I have maintained high protein in my diet for a very long time, so it's not something that's going to yield huge improvements...it's a constant.

I feel like I have diminishing marginal returns from carbs. I don't think taking more than 200-250g a day is beneficial most of the time with the exception of refeeds. Limiting my carbs does not effect my strength and eating more than i'm currently taking in would not be helpful.
If I have a decent amount (50-60g) of carbs with my first meal, my preworkout meal and then post-workout, I find that's plenty and anymore can be more negative than positive.

By limiting the carbs to this amount in certain meals I actually get better glycogen uptake in the muscle cells, which seems to improve my strength and energy.

Have you noticed huge improvements with your body composition with the 2g/lb of bodyweight of protein?

Do more carbs seem to help your strength?

Animal76
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Shoulders & Back
Overhead D-bell Press
100's x 14,8,6
Medium/Neutral Grip Pull Down (left shoulder hurt like hell!)
160x10,200x10,250x10,280x10,250x10,220x10
35'sx10,50'sx10,50'sx10,40'sx15
Seated Cable Rows:wide pronated grip
220x12,250x12,280x8,260x8,220x12
Bet Over Lateral D-Bell Raises
40'sx12,50'sx10,50'sx10
drop:50'sx8>40'sx6>30'sx6
One Arm D-Bell Row
170x10,10,10
Underhand Pulldowns
220x10,220x7,200x9,200x10
superset w/
Cable Upright Rows
160x10,8,8,8
HS Shoulder Press
180 (2plates per side) x 27,14
Cable Pullovers
70x10,8,60x10
Front Raises
2 set...had to stop, everything hurt

Animal76
01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Legs
H-Squat
4plx20,6plx20,8plx10,10plx10,12plx10,14plx10,10plx 16
BM Lying Leg Curl
145x12,175x8,190x5,175x6,160x7,145x9,130x12
HS Calf Raises
4plx15,6plx15,8plx15,10plx10,12plx6,12plx6,10plx7, 8plx10,6plx16
Barbell Walking Lunges
Barbell Squats
135x10,225x10,315x10,365x10

Giant Set:
Seated CR:135x20,180x12,180x10
HS Unilateral Leg Ext:45x10,55x10,55x10
Hyperextension (back extension):20,20,20

Animal76
01-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Chest & Triceps
Incline Barbell
255x8,275x5,255x6,225x9
Incline d-bell flys
100'sx7,100'sx5,80'sx12,60'sx20
HS Decline
270 (3plates per side)x,10,8,8
drop: 270x8>180x6>90x12
Cable Flys
100x10,100x7,80x15,80x11
Weighted Bench Dips
100x25,200x14
drop:200x15>100x6>bdywtx10
Incline Skull Crushers
110x10,8,7
Tricep Pushdown
3 sets

elbows were starting to give me issues on the last couple exercises

Animal76
01-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Back & Biceps
HS Lat Pull Down
90x10,180x10,180x10,270x12, 320x6,320x5,270x9
T-Bar Rows
2platesx10,4plx10,6plx10,7plx5,6plx10,5plx15
Cable Curls
1 warm-up set (10 reps), stack x10, stack + 25 x 7, stack +50 x 4, stack x 10
Wg Lat Pull Down
220x10,250x10,250x10,220x10
Alt D-Bell Curls
65'sx5,65'sx5,55'sx6.50'sx7
Seated Cable Row (wide pronated grip)

850 lb Tire Flips

Animal76
01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
this was the conclusion to my back & bicep workout...it's been a while since i've done these and I wasn't particularly strong on them

850 lbs tire flips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4H0ACK-FN0

Animal76
01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
SLDL
4 warm-up sets, 315x15,405x12,455x5,405x8,315x12
Unilateral Leg Press
2plx10,4plx10,6plx10,8plx10
One Arm Lat Pull Down
100x10,120x8,120x7,100x10
Barbell Ste-ups
154x6,6,6
HS Lying Leg Curl
70x15,90x8,90x8,90x8
superset w/
HS Horizontal Calf Raise
6plx15,8plx15,10plx10,10plx8
Seated Calf Raises
3plx16,4plx10,4plx10,4plx8

Animal76
01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
HS Incline
410x7, 410x4, 360x7,270x14
D-bell Fly on Ball
85'sx12,10,8 60'sx20
Standing Military Barbell Press
135x8,155x6,135x8
Nautilus Lateral Raises machine
200x16,12,10
drop: 200x10>150x6>100x8

Tricep Pushdown
100x30,20,16
drop: 100x12>75x8>50x12
D-Bell Upright Rows
45'sx12,55'sx8,55'sx8,45'sx15
Dips

3 set cable crunches, torso twists with cable, jabs using cable

also, i have been doing 30 minutes cardio every morning + rotator cuff exercises + abs

shoulders and elbows are starting to feel a lot better and my strength is finally coming back a little bit. Cutting back to 4 days a week of training has helped in addition to the therapy

Animal76
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
not my best, but at least it's getting better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5XnjEh5N2k

RichKnapp
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Sweet, nice set of vidios you have there. :)

FATHER FLEX
01-19-2010, 11:21 PM
I was wondering where this log went! :)

The Solution
01-20-2010, 06:02 AM
I was lost when I could not find this from Derek's Section.
Good to meet and pick your brain at worlds Kurt.
Coming to the Arnold?

Animal76
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Great meeting you at Worlds as well. I will definitely NOT be at the arnold. Not my cup of tea. Can't really afford to take time off from work anyway.

Coming to the Arnold?

AustrianOakJr
01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Coming to the Arnold?

Funny, I opened this up and said "Wow, its Kurt Weidner, how could I have missed this log?" .....now it makes sense..... it got moved from elsewhere. Nice.

I have maintained high protein in my diet for a very long time, so it's not something that's going to yield huge improvements...it's a constant.

I feel like I have diminishing marginal returns from carbs. I don't think taking more than 200-250g a day is beneficial most of the time with the exception of refeeds. Limiting my carbs does not effect my strength and eating more than i'm currently taking in would not be helpful.
If I have a decent amount (50-60g) of carbs with my first meal, my preworkout meal and then post-workout, I find that's plenty and anymore can be more negative than positive.

By limiting the carbs to this amount in certain meals I actually get better glycogen uptake in the muscle cells, which seems to improve my strength and energy.

Hey, Kurt! Good having you here. I was reading your thoughts regarding carbs. I think this is interesting. And a bit different from a lot of guys. You keep carbs that low even off season?? How is it that you feel glycogen uptake is improved with lesser carb intake? Do you "refeed" even in the offseason, looking for that super-compensation effect? If thats your thinking then..... if you were to raise your carbs higher, you think glycogen levels would actually be lower within the muscle?

Dont you think there is a metabolic advantage to higher amounts of carbs? "Feeding the fire" with carbs so to speak. IF I can get my metabolism cranking in the offseason by raising carb intake steadily, that makes a much more efficient diet come contest time, no?

Animal76
01-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I would not call 200-250g carbs low...more moderate. My reasoning for the low/moderate carb levels is to work towards getting leaner, before I bring the carbs back up. Right now i'm not lean enough to benefit from more carbs than i'm taking in. As I get leaner, that'll change. I do still have refeeds in the off-season as needed (usually on the weekend). On my off training days (especially wednesday) I will keep carbs very low, because I only do cardio and train a bunch of clients (no need for much more than about 100-120g carbs).

By limiting carb intake and reducing bodyfat right now, I will increase insulin sensitivty and gradually reintroduce more carbs as the muscles become depleted easier at lower bodyfat levels. At this point there is a metabolic benefit to increasing carbohydrate consumption, but the key is to get leaner first...otherwise added carbs will just be added bodyfat (I don't want or need that!)
The only time you'll really burn carbohydrates (glycogen) at a considerable rate is when you're training in an anaerobic zone, utilizing your glycolytic pathway (during a workout geared towards hypertrophy or during high intensity cardio)...the rest of the day, you really don't need that many carbs.

Generally speaking, by the time i'm peak off-season and my metabolism is cranking I can take in up to 400g carbs or more on my highest days and closer to 250g on the lower days without a negative effect on my body composition. I do think it's important to upregulate carbohydrate tolerance as much as possible prior to the beginning of a contest season. Right now i'm just working on getting my metabolism cranking again.

Funny, I opened this up and said "Wow, its Kurt Weidner, how could I have missed this log?" .....now it makes sense..... it got moved from elsewhere. Nice.

Hey, Kurt! Good having you here. I was reading your thoughts regarding carbs. I think this is interesting. And a bit different from a lot of guys. You keep carbs that low even off season?? How is it that you feel glycogen uptake is improved with lesser carb intake? Do you "refeed" even in the offseason, looking for that super-compensation effect? If thats your thinking then..... if you were to raise your carbs higher, you think glycogen levels would actually be lower within the muscle?

Dont you think there is a metabolic advantage to higher amounts of carbs? "Feeding the fire" with carbs so to speak. IF I can get my metabolism cranking in the offseason by raising carb intake steadily, that makes a much more efficient diet come contest time, no?

uSo02uSo
01-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey Kurt this is Chad. I've been posting some of my workouts, etc.. on here if you wanted to see what I've been doing.

AustrianOakJr
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I would not call 200-250g carbs low...more moderate. My reasoning for the low/moderate carb levels is to work towards getting leaner, before I bring the carbs back up. Right now i'm not lean enough to benefit from more carbs than i'm taking in. As I get leaner, that'll change. I do still have refeeds in the off-season as needed (usually on the weekend). On my off training days (especially wednesday) I will keep carbs very low, because I only do cardio and train a bunch of clients (no need for much more than about 100-120g carbs).

Didnt you do the Worlds this past November? I thought you were deep into your off season right now? So, youre cutting now?

The only time you'll really burn carbohydrates (glycogen) at a considerable rate is when you're training in an anaerobic zone, utilizing your glycolytic pathway (during a workout geared towards hypertrophy or during high intensity cardio)...the rest of the day, you really don't need that many carbs.

Well, youre burning energy all day...and your bodies preferred source of fuel is glucose, right? STORED glucose (muscle glycogen) is burned in high intensity exercise, but liver glycogen is burned all day long....

Generally speaking, by the time i'm peak off-season and my metabolism is cranking I can take in up to 400g carbs or more on my highest days and closer to 250g on the lower days without a negative effect on my body composition. I do think it's important to upregulate carbohydrate tolerance as much as possible prior to the beginning of a contest season. Right now i'm just working on getting my metabolism cranking again.

Ok, this makes good sense to me and is pretty much my thinking as well....the more carbs we can take in without adding significant body fat, the better.

Animal76
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I do not want to be more than 12-15 pounds above my contest weight during my off-season. My body functions much better when i'm leaner. I do not benefit in any way from carry too much bodyfat.

liver glycogen is burned throughout the day, but for most people daily activities (aside from workouts) are not that rigorous and the degree of glycogen depletion is not severe. The carbs I take in with my first meal are probably more than adequate to supply glycogen burned throughout the day.

Didnt you do the Worlds this past November? I thought you were deep into your off season right now? So, youre cutting now?

Well, youre burning energy all day...and your bodies preferred source of fuel is glucose, right? STORED glucose (muscle glycogen) is burned in high intensity exercise, but liver glycogen is burned all day long....

Ok, this makes good sense to me and is pretty much my thinking as well....the more carbs we can take in without adding significant body fat, the better.

Animal76
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Wg Lat Pull Down
150x10,190x10,220x10,260x10,300x8,300x8,260x12,220 x20
HS One Arm Preacher Curl
45x10,70x10,85x5,70x8
One Arm Seated Cable Row
120x10,160x10,180x8,160x10
T-Bar Row w/ chest pad
3plates x10,9,8 2platesx15
Seated Alt D-Bell Curls
50'sx6,6,6
HS Seated Shrugs (paused reps)
270x16,360x10,10,8
Underhand Pull-ups
HS Hi Row
270x12,12,12

Animal76
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Quads & Calves
Squats
6 warm-up sets, 405x12,435x8,445x7, 315x10 (3 second pauses at bottom)
4plx12,6plx12,8plx8,8plx7,6plx8,4plx12
Unilateral H-Squat
6plx10,8plx6,6plx10
Seated Calf Raise
150x15,195x8,195x8,195x6,150x12
Hack Squats
3 sets of 10 while waiting for leg ext
Leg Ext
240x17,12

AustrianOakJr
01-22-2010, 02:34 PM
I do not want to be more than 12-15 pounds above my contest weight during my off-season. My body functions much better when i'm leaner. I do not benefit in any way from carry too much bodyfat.

liver glycogen is burned throughout the day, but for most people daily activities (aside from workouts) are not that rigorous and the degree of glycogen depletion is not severe. The carbs I take in with my first meal are probably more than adequate to supply glycogen burned throughout the day.

Gotcha. I have a real hard time staying that lean. I think I have a pretty high natural set point, because when I am within 10-15 lbs of contest weight I am very lethargic, cold, very low libido, etc. When I pack on some body fat, its like a switch goes off and I turn into a madman again. Different strokes, I guess. But, youre also the pro, so you must be doing something right, eh? :)

Animal76
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
HS Shoulder Press
270x14,320x4,270x7,180x18
WG Lat Pull Down
160x10,220x10,300x12,325x8,350x5,300x8,260x15
35'sx10,50'sx16,60'sx5,50'sx10,40'sx15,30'sx20
Seated Cable Row
300x8,300x7,250x12,250x10
Cable Upright Rows
160x10,180x8180x6,150x12
Barbell Rows
225x15,12,12
D-Bell Shrugs (pauses)
170'sx15,12,12

3 sets of cable jabs and trunk twists

Animal76
01-25-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuT5mjhT4s4

AustrianOakJr
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuT5mjhT4s4

Nicely done. You made it look light. :) I wish we had more HS stuff at my gym. Ive been doing a lot of DB shoulder presses, but as you move up in weight its tough getting the DB's up to your shoulders. The HS machines mimic the move pretty well without all the wasted effort of hoisting the weight up to the start position.

RichKnapp
01-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Nicely done. You made it look light. :) I wish we had more HS stuff at my gym. Ive been doing a lot of DB shoulder presses, but as you move up in weight its tough getting the DB's up to your shoulders. The HS machines mimic the move pretty well without all the wasted effort of hoisting the weight up to the start position.

I agree sweet. ^5

I love the H.S. ISO Machines my gym has. Helps out seen as Tammy can't lift the heavy Db's or safty spot me in heavy presses.

Animal76
01-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Legs

Leg Press
2plx15,4plx15,6plx15,8plx10,12plx10,16plx10
drop set: 20plx12>16plx5>12plx7>8plx11

Standing Calf Raises on Squat Machine
8plx10,12plx10,16plx6,16plx6
12plx10>10plx10>8plx10>6plx10

Seated Leg Curl
220x10, 295x12, 325x6, 325x6
drop:295x6>220x7>160x10