PDA

View Full Version : New trend of rap mixing with rock. Your opinions?

nitr0x2
11-25-2004, 12:57 PM
How do you guys feel about the new trend of artist mixing hip hop/rap with rock? This can be heard in trickdaddy "lets go", linkin park in general, and the new lil jon cd.

I think it sounds cool, and is a good match, how do you guys feel?

Jay Rawd
11-25-2004, 01:14 PM
How do you guys feel about the new trend of artist mixing hip hop/rap with rock? This can be heard in trickdaddy "lets go", linkin park in general, and the new lil jon cd.

It isn't new. Run-DMC used to do it alot in the 80's. Look up songs like Rock Box and Walk this way.

As for how I like it it's OK. I hate Linkin Park and that Trick Daddy song with the Ozzy sample, but I do like 99 Problems by Jay-Z.

XtotheZ
11-25-2004, 01:21 PM
Check Linkin Park ft Jay-Z - Numb/Encore. Encore lyrics with Numb instrumental, the lyrics are spit different for the Numb sound though, so it blends better, amazing track, Linkin Park are one of my favourites for the sounds they do.

BigZeke
11-25-2004, 01:36 PM
I dispise that rap song with the Crazy Train sample. I don't know why Ozzy would allow that. If Randy Rhoads were alive I don't think he would have allowed his work to be used like that.

temporary
11-25-2004, 01:39 PM
"new trend" asside from the beastie boys and Run DMC, the explosion was in the later 90's
Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage against the machine, etc.

Wheelies
11-25-2004, 01:49 PM
I really liked Jay Z vs Linkin Park. I think they took it to a new level and did it better than its ever been done before.

AzBadass
11-25-2004, 02:20 PM
It's bull****.

The Bassist
11-25-2004, 02:56 PM
older meaningful rap rock like Rage Against the Machine, good ****. Fairy ass 'rap metal' like linkin park, flamingly gay.

ballbags1
11-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Check out E-Town Concrete

Ian
11-26-2004, 06:08 PM
**** Limp Bizkit and **** all that other Wigger ass ****

Wheelies
11-26-2004, 06:29 PM
**** Limp Bizkit and **** all that other Wigger ass ****

1. I think the Jay-Z vs. Linkin Park is lil different than Limp Bizkit.

2. What is a "wigger"?

goth666
11-26-2004, 06:39 PM
I dispise that rap song with the Crazy Train sample. I don't know why Ozzy would allow that.

that's exactly what i was thinking. what a disgrace to Ozzy.

"werd bitches. get all up on dat crizazy trizain, ya heeeaaard."

AzBadass
11-26-2004, 09:11 PM
that's exactly what i was thinking. what a disgrace to Ozzy.

"werd bitches. get all up on dat crizazy trizain, ya heeeaaard."

**** THAT!

goth666
11-26-2004, 09:33 PM
**** THAT!

LMAO

WhatsUp
11-26-2004, 10:32 PM
i love how you close minded rock fans diss anything to do with hip hop

at least most rap fans are open to other things, the rap and rock mixes are cool, i see nothing wrong with them

momotheglutton
11-26-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't like it.

pogue
11-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Rap and rock is nothing new. Think about what rap is. At its core, the beats are resampled pop and rock songs with just a rhythmic syncopated beat and consistant rhyming lyrics.

We're going to see much more of this in the future, and its going to be hard to draw the lines.

BTW, for those of you who like rap and heavy metal, check out the new Cypress Hill Album, Cypress Thrill. It absolutely kicks ass. They have heavy metal songs, and rap, and both.

badlad4023
11-26-2004, 10:54 PM
It isn't new. Run-DMC used to do it alot in the 80's. Look up songs like Rock Box and Walk this way.

As for how I like it it's OK. I hate Linkin Park and that Trick Daddy song with the Ozzy sample, but I do like 99 Problems by Jay-Z.

bump

METAL VIPER
11-27-2004, 12:00 AM
You can all of course have your opinions...but IMHO...
****. I hate nu metal pussies and I hate rap, so the 2 hand in hand aren't much better

skrabble
11-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Common and Mos Def have also mixed in rock with some of their stuff.

The Bassist
11-27-2004, 09:18 AM
i love how you close minded rock fans diss anything to do with hip hop

at least most rap fans are open to other things, the rap and rock mixes are cool, i see nothing wrong with them

I agree that some rock fans generalize and are close minded when it comes to this sorta thing.

Me personally, I primarily listen to and play rock music...but I can appreiciate good rap music, especially when its fusioned with rock/metal.

Rage Against the Machine is one of my favorite bands ever, and Zack de la Rocha was a 100% rap vocalist. Most people who hate on Limp Bizket have only heard there recent stuff, if you listen to their first album (three dollar bill) they sound like a Pantera meets Cypress Hill. Good stuff.

However I cant stand what I refer to as "mall metal" like Linkin Park. Leave that **** for 14 year old girls to listen to.

Wheelies
11-27-2004, 09:27 AM
I agree that some rock fans generalize and are close minded when it comes to this sorta thing.

Me personally, I primarily listen to and play rock music...but I can appreiciate good rap music, especially when its fusioned with rock/metal.

Rage Against the Machine is one of my favorite bands ever, and Zack de la Rocha was a 100% rap vocalist. Most people who hate on Limp Bizket have only heard there recent stuff, if you listen to their first album (three dollar bill) they sound like a Pantera meets Cypress Hill. Good stuff.

However I cant stand what I refer to as "mall metal" like Linkin Park. Leave that **** for 14 year old girls to listen to.

I dont get why people dislike Linkin Park so much. Lets go through the list of what makes a talented band/musician.

1. They play their own instruments
2. The lead singer can actually hit notes and sing, rather than just yell, but he can do that too.
3. They make really good beats/music
4. They are creative and try out new things

Whats wrong with that?

blood vs. water
11-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Common and Mos Def have also mixed in rock with some of their stuff.

new mos def album is great and it is rock based. i have no problems with artists experimenting and combining the two.

look at the guy who experimented and combined peanut butter and jelly onto bread. i bet he dealt with some ignorant haters too.

skrabble
11-27-2004, 12:43 PM
new mos def album is great and it is rock based. i have no problems with artists experimenting and combining the two.

"New Danger"? I bought "Black on Both Sides" and wasn't overly thrilled, he's definitely creative but I'm just not a huge fan (still a fan, just not huge). BUT, when it comes to his acting, I'm an enormous fan, I think he's an amazing actor.

jimjoneskoolaid
11-27-2004, 12:45 PM
I like e town concrete, but their song mandibles is gayer than a man in assless chaps

blood vs. water
11-27-2004, 01:27 PM
"New Danger"? I bought "Black on Both Sides" and wasn't overly thrilled, he's definitely creative but I'm just not a huge fan (still a fan, just not huge). BUT, when it comes to his acting, I'm an enormous fan, I think he's an amazing actor.

i felt the same way about black on both sides. i guess i expected more a blackstarr vibe to it, but i didnt get it.

momotheglutton
11-27-2004, 05:04 PM

look at the guy who experimented and combined peanut butter and jelly onto bread. i bet he dealt with some ignorant haters too.
Yeah, but being something new or different and having haters certainy doesn't guarantee any sort of brilliance or quality.

blood vs. water
11-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah, but being something new or different and having haters certainy doesn't guarantee any sort of brilliance or quality.

i read this thing three times and have no idea what you are you trying to say.

all the guy did was combine peanut butter and jelly. some may see it as brilliant some may not. i think the quality depends on the person and the flavor they choose

skrabble
11-27-2004, 06:49 PM
i read this thing three times and have no idea what you are you trying to say.

all the guy did was combine peanut butter and jelly. some may see it as brilliant some may not. i think the quality depends on the person and the flavor they choose

LOL, nice.

Uber-neggR
11-28-2004, 01:46 PM
i love the new trick daddy "lets go" track.

I also like rap/rock tracks like juelz santana "the answer", or another of the diplomats song (forgotten the name of the track).

i love rap and i'm pretty open-minded with two genres fusing (except for rap-pop).
i can't see why some of you rock fans are so close-minded.

(o)./^\.(o)
11-28-2004, 02:20 PM
I dont get why people dislike Linkin Park so much. Lets go through the list of what makes a talented band/musician.

1. They play their own instruments
2. The lead singer can actually hit notes and sing, rather than just yell, but he can do that too.
3. They make really good beats/music
4. They are creative and try out new things

Whats wrong with that?

1. True
2. He may be able to, but I hate the sound of his voice.
3. Most of their songs have the same 'teenage angst' quality to them. That sounds stupid, but of course this point is all opinion.
4. True again.

Apo
11-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Rap and rock is nothing new. Think about what rap is. At its core, the beats are resampled pop and rock songs with just a rhythmic syncopated beat and consistant rhyming lyrics.

We're going to see much more of this in the future, and its going to be hard to draw the lines.

BTW, for those of you who like rap and heavy metal, check out the new Cypress Hill Album, Cypress Thrill. It absolutely kicks ass. They have heavy metal songs, and rap, and both.

lol i thought they died or something.

(o)./^\.(o)
11-28-2004, 02:23 PM
lol i thought they died or something.

You must be insane in the membrane.

CrazyTall
11-28-2004, 04:24 PM
I cant believe that these rappers make money off **** like that Ozzy rip off. :mad:
At least 2 pac, Dr.dre and WuTang made up their own songs.
Like em or not, they're original.
As for Puff Diddy and Lil John, I dont think they deserve a penny of the money they have. They are not musicians, they are marketers (cant think of the right word).

Wheelies
11-28-2004, 04:44 PM
1. True
2. He may be able to, but I hate the sound of his voice.
3. Most of their songs have the same 'teenage angst' quality to them. That sounds stupid, but of course this point is all opinion.
4. True again.

1. Ok
2. Alot of people like it, obviously
3. Listen to all music, 99% of musicians sing/rap about the same stuff.
4. Ok

scott215
11-28-2004, 05:43 PM

They're good, check out Vietnom if you like them.

(o)./^\.(o)
11-28-2004, 06:11 PM
1. Ok
2. Alot of people like it, obviously
3. Listen to all music, 99% of musicians sing/rap about the same stuff.
4. Ok

1. Ok again.
2. I understand that, but I don't.
3. Right, a lot do. Its not the point that they sing about the same stuff, its the point that its all that 'teenage angst' crap, which I hate.
4. Ok again.

Pleasure doing business with you :).

RVA Ironman
11-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Any other rap/metal or nu-metal fans on here fans of Hed P.E.? They're a lesser-known band from Huntington, CA. Pretty damn good, in my opinion. Anyone else listen to them?

hungjury
11-28-2004, 07:44 PM
the linkin park jayz cd def rocks.a lot better then a thought it would be

Wheelies
11-29-2004, 05:34 AM
1. Ok again.
2. I understand that, but I don't.
3. Right, a lot do. Its not the point that they sing about the same stuff, its the point that its all that 'teenage angst' crap, which I hate.
4. Ok again.

Pleasure doing business with you :).

1. :)
2. :)
3. Point taken.
4. :)

You really didnt like "In the End" though?

No0b
11-29-2004, 06:09 PM
I've always liked Linkin Park. Mike Shinoda rapping and then Chester screaming and then the music worked for me. This new thing with JayZ is retarded, although I've never liked JayZ anyway. I rather see Eminem and Linkin Park.. Eminem can do that (purposely) retarded singing voice he does. And then theres the fact that except for 2 albums, all Linkin Park seems to do is remix the same **** over and over. :rolleyes:

Wheelies
11-29-2004, 06:09 PM
I've always liked Linkin Park. Mike Shinoda rapping and then Chester screaming and then the music worked for me. This new thing with JayZ is retarded, although I've never liked JayZ anyway. I rather see Eminem and Linkin Park.. Eminem can do that (purposely) retarded singing voice he does. And then theres the fact that except for 2 albums, all Linkin Park seems to do is remix the same **** over and over. :rolleyes:

Your post makes no sense to me. What does Eminem's "retarded singing voice" have to do with anything.

No0b
11-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Your post makes no sense to me. What does Eminem's "retarded singing voice" have to do with anything.

haha I don't know. I just thought it would work with rock or whatever Linkin Park is considered now. Then again his rapping would too.

Crisp
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
I think the Beastie Boys have been mixing both since about 82' I mean thats how old some of the tracks on "some old bull****" are.

blood vs. water
11-29-2004, 06:55 PM
I think the Beastie Boys have been mixing both since about 82' I mean thats how old some of the tracks on "some old bull****" are.

yeah i think that was mostly the influence of rick rubin also, not just the beastie boys. if you listen to all the beastie boys albums, you can obviously hear how much the sound evolved.

RedheadHardBody
11-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Rap metal is a bunch of crap! It doesn't mix.

Wheelies
11-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Rap metal is a bunch of crap! It doesn't mix.

REd heads dont know anything, shutup.

RedheadHardBody
11-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Wheelies has no taste when it comes to music.

Wheelies
11-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Wheelies has no taste when it comes to music.

Redheadhardbody, you are a girl?

sculli
11-30-2004, 01:26 PM

Yeah and don't forget Anthrax. They had a few tunes like "I'm the Man", and a cover of "Bring the Noise" with Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Bodycount, etc. There's probably a lot more that we're forgetting here too. Anyway, this is definitely not a new trend.

I like some of it but some of it sucks. Kind of gotta take it song by song.

sculli
11-30-2004, 01:30 PM
yeah i think that was mostly the influence of rick rubin also, not just the beastie boys. if you listen to all the beastie boys albums, you can obviously hear how much the sound evolved.
Yes and No. Yes Rubin was an influence in that but if you know their history, they actually used to play hardcore punk rock before they got into the rap thing. They started rapping as a gag originally. They used to play stuff like Minor Threat before that.

akm3
11-30-2004, 04:00 PM

You think this is a NEW trend?

blood vs. water
11-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Yes and No. Yes Rubin was an influence in that but if you know their history, they actually used to play hardcore punk rock before they got into the rap thing. They started rapping as a gag originally. They used to play stuff like Minor Threat before that.

yeah i know they used to play hardcore punk. i think they mentioned their biggest influence was black flag. what i meant was i think rubin was the reason they had more rock sounding beats ya know. if you ever heard the band DEAD F.U.C.K.I.N.G. LAST (minus the periods) they sound exactly how the beastie boys used to sound like. pretty good ****. i recommend a download.

Section8
12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
most of it is garbage. I heard a lil john song though where he samples slayers reigning blood and it was pretty cool. any rap/metal or rap/rock bands are so horrible I want to cry.

DTGG
12-01-2004, 01:41 PM
i love the new trick daddy "lets go" track.

I also like rap/rock tracks like juelz santana "the answer", or another of the diplomats song (forgotten the name of the track).

i love rap and i'm pretty open-minded with two genres fusing (except for rap-pop).
i can't see why some of you rock fans are so close-minded.
totally agree with you.

live4this13
12-19-2004, 09:54 PM
I really like "lets go", I just bought lil ons new cd today, and I liked it alot, I almost picked up the jay-z/linkin park cd but didnt, now that I just listend to encore/numb I def. will be getting this one nexted time Iam out. I really like the sound.

AzBadass
12-20-2004, 02:35 AM
most of it is garbage. I heard a lil john song though where he samples slayers reigning blood and it was pretty cool. any rap/metal or rap/rock bands are so horrible I want to cry.

No way. You must be thinking of crazy train.