PDA

View Full Version : Body Measurement Guide??

BigMan52
11-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Hi guys, I know this is a little off topic, but I didn't know where else to post it. Does anyone have a guide for making body measurements? I have the cloth tape, all I need is some exact instructions. I know a thigh is supposed to be measured 5" above the top of the knee cap, but that's about it. Any info would be great (looking for it all). Also, are measurements taken flexed or unflexed?

Thanks in advance.

Abdominator
11-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Hi guys, I know this is a little off topic, but I didn't know where else to post it. Does anyone have a guide for making body measurements? I have the cloth tape, all I need is some exact instructions. I know a thigh is supposed to be measured 5" above the top of the knee cap, but that's about it. Any info would be great (looking for it all). Also, are measurements taken flexed or unflexed?

Thanks in advance.

Here you are, courtesy of www.exrx.net

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/MaleGirthCalculator.html

I'm not crazy about the title of their page, but hey... it does give you a rough idea of what the ideal physical proportions should be.

As a rule, your neck, upper arm and calves should be close to the same measurement (although calves are usually a little smaller, and arms might be a bit larger). Your chest should be at least 10-12" larger than your waist (the greater the difference between them, the better your v-taper will be), and your upper thigh (each one) should be within 6" of your waist measurement (for example, if your waist is 30", your upper thigh should measure at least 23-24" to look symmetrical).

So, for example, a person at 5'10" (like me) should have close to the following proportions:

waist = 29"
chest = 42"
upper thigh = 23"
upper arm = 16.5"
neck = 16.5"
calves = 14.5"
lowest ideal competition weight = 165-175 lbs. (at less than 5% bodyfat)

Not saying that I'm "perfectly proportional", but I'm surprisingly close. :)

- Skip :)

BigMan52
11-22-2004, 08:13 AM
wow, great pics man. thanks for the link, too.

Abdominator
11-23-2004, 03:46 PM
wow, great pics man. thanks for the link, too.

You're welcome. We aim to please! :)

- Skip "Only 10 more posts and I hit 6000!" :D

foo foo
12-01-2004, 08:44 PM
widest point around the forearm
widest point around the bicep
aounrd the neck
around the peak of the deltoids for shoulders
across the top of the chest
waist is the samllest point(about 3 inches above the belly button)
abdomen is on the belly button
hips are around the widest point of the ass
thigh is the spot wear the butt cheek and the top of the leg start
claf is the widest point around

BigMan52
12-01-2004, 09:03 PM
thanks foo foo

bigasssnowman
03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
crazy how they can get all that info just from the size of your wrist.

yankees1
03-04-2005, 11:07 PM
That web site is bogus...i ahve extremmly skinny wrists like 4 inches or less and they said my biceps are supposed to be 9 inches!!! hahaha...mine now are close to 15 and there not even big. Plus they said my thighs are only supposed to be 13 inches......I have not measured my thighs but I guarentee you that there at least 20 inches,

Ciups
03-05-2005, 09:26 AM
That web site is bogus...i ahve extremmly skinny wrists like 4 inches or less and they said my biceps are supposed to be 9 inches!!! hahaha...mine now are close to 15 and there not even big. Plus they said my thighs are only supposed to be 13 inches......I have not measured my thighs but I guarentee you that there at least 20 inches,

You dont have 4" wrists, if your above 13 yrs old.

HellSpawn
03-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Quick question. These measurements are for relaxed muscles or flexed muscles? It wouldn't make sense to do your arms and legs flexed and have your measurements for waist and chest relaxed. So does this mean your arms must be at that measurement cold?

Abdominator
03-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Quick question. These measurements are for relaxed muscles or flexed muscles? It wouldn't make sense to do your arms and legs flexed and have your measurements for waist and chest relaxed. So does this mean your arms must be at that measurement cold?

Those measurements should be for relaxed muscles, except in the case of the arms when you would have the bicep flexed.

Yankees1, remember that those measurements are for the "average" person who doesn't workout. Those of us that weight train will have measurements slightly divergent from the ones list on the http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/MaleGirthCalculator.html page.

How do you have a 4" wrist? Remember, it's the circumference of the wrist, not it's width or depth. How old are you and what is your height? Usually adult males have a wrist circumference of at least 6", unless they're under 5'5" tall. By the way, 15" upper arm on an arm that has a 4" wrist would look quite amazing. If you have a picture, please post it. That would be impressive.

bigasssnowman
03-07-2005, 08:58 AM
Those measurements should be for relaxed muscles, except in the case of the arms when you would have the bicep flexed.

Yankees1, remember that those measurements are for the "average"

i have 7 inch wrists and it says i should have 16.38 inch biceps... 16.38 is pretty big for someone that doesn't workout.

Abdominator
03-08-2005, 05:13 AM
i have 7 inch wrists and it says i should have 16.38 inch biceps... 16.38 is pretty big for someone that doesn't workout.

Ah... what are you upper arm measurements? I have 6.25" wrists and my upper arm measures 16.5". I would guess that if your wrist measurement is 7", then your upper arm should measure close to 19". Correct?

Those measurements on http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/MaleGirthCalculator.html are guidelines for symmetry. Personally, I think all the measurements should be larger for those of us who are bodybuilders. So, interpret the information however you want. I'm just the messenger. :)

snaynay1
03-10-2005, 08:22 PM
When you tape your bicep is it supposed to be flexed or should your arm be straight?

Bobben
03-17-2005, 01:59 AM
I thought I had baby wrists, but I have 6.7" :O Maybe I measured wrong, better do it again when I'm home, heh.

Thank you very much for the calculator link btw :)