PDA

View Full Version : GnR Discussion

Šlash
11-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Anybody love this stuff? I love almost everything about GnR...so unite fans.

LatsMakeTheMan
11-14-2004, 03:51 PM
In my opinion, and i know I'll get flamed for this, but GNR was the LAST great rock band that ever came to be.

The 90's contributed very little to music in general, and Guns was the last good rock band in history. In a span of about 5 years they put out some of the best rock songs the world has ever known.

Nirvana, and the whole grunge thing that followed was a load of BS. The wave of alternative bands that dominated the 90's was a joke. Nothing but a bunch of cookie-cutter no-name bands with lame songs that had absolutely no distinguishing characteristics between them.

GNR was totally original, and their style was easily identifiable, both through their music and their personalities. Even though they were together for such a short time, they achieved legendary status.

johnnyironboard
11-15-2004, 09:37 AM
I agree.

redneckbandit2
11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
In my opinion, and i know I'll get flamed for this, but GNR was the LAST great rock band that ever came to be.

The 90's contributed very little to music in general, and Guns was the last good rock band in history. In a span of about 5 years they put out some of the best rock songs the world has ever known.

Nirvana, and the whole grunge thing that followed was a load of BS. The wave of alternative bands that dominated the 90's was a joke. Nothing but a bunch of cookie-cutter no-name bands with lame songs that had absolutely no distinguishing characteristics between them.

GNR was totally original, and their style was easily identifiable, both through their music and their personalities. Even though they were together for such a short time, they achieved legendary status.
dude,u wont get flamed for that.i think the same think.i mean hell, when you've got an axe slinger like slash and a crazy from man with pipes like axel then u kno the talent is there. they put out some of the most origianal,inovative stuff ever.they're ranked with led zep and ac/dc and skynard in my opinion.but no-one trumps skynard.

Meshugener87
11-15-2004, 05:10 PM
dude,u wont get flamed for that.i think the same think.i mean hell, when you've got an axe slinger like slash and a crazy from man with pipes like axel then u kno the talent is there. they put out some of the most origianal,inovative stuff ever.they're ranked with led zep and ac/dc and skynard in my opinion.but no-one trumps skynard.

yup.

but i think that led zep and skynyrd are tied for #1.

Šlash
11-15-2004, 05:29 PM
You guys are so right...just so right.

LatsMakeTheMan
11-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Wow....I thought a bunch of alternative music lovers would have jumped on me for that one. Glad to see there's some other people out there who know a thing or two about rock and roll:D

Hartski
11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I saw a DVD that had 13 of their best music videos on it the other day. I really wanted to buy it, but I didn't have the cash.

LatsMakeTheMan
11-16-2004, 01:00 PM
I saw a DVD that had 13 of their best music videos on it the other day. I really wanted to buy it, but I didn't have the cash.

Yea I have it on tape. Good stuff. November Rain gives me chills every time I watch it. The vid for the song "Garden of Eden" is funny as hell too.

Hartski
11-16-2004, 02:06 PM
November Rain and Sweet Child O Mine both give me chills when I hear them.
Never seen the Sweet Child O Mine video, though.

sculli
11-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah Guns was great, they are still one of my favorites. I've seen them live twice. Once with Metallica during that infamous tour back in 92 and once in the even more infamous comback that Axl did with the new band last year. Both were great shows. And I'll even go so far as to say that I actually liked the new band too (although not as much as the original lineup). Axl has got to be insane though because of the stuff he pulls. Where the hell is the Chinese Democracy album already??? At least Velvet Revolver is doing really well though.

themainman
11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Guns n ****ing Roses will always be my number one band.

drewkowsky
11-18-2004, 04:32 PM
I love Guns it reminds me of bein a kid so much
Appettite For Destruction has to be my favorite album of all time as well

And am I the only G N R fan who doesn't really like Velvet Revolver
I used to be a huge STP fan, but Wieland seems to have lost his voice or style of singing after their 2nd album

LatsMakeTheMan
11-19-2004, 07:05 AM
I love Guns it reminds me of bein a kid so much
Appettite For Destruction has to be my favorite album of all time as well

And am I the only G N R fan who doesn't really like Velvet Revolver
I used to be a huge STP fan, but Wieland seems to have lost his voice or style of singing after their 2nd album

I think a lot of people don't like them, simply because they're not guns and roses. I bet most of us are still hanging onto the hope that Guns will re-unite. I know I am:D

DRUNK83
11-19-2004, 07:46 AM
The last great rock band. The greatest band since Led Zeppelin(and Zep is #1). True talents. The real deal.

It was just a one of a kind type band. From on stage to off the stage, that band kicked ass. We'll probably never see a band as good as that again.

Axl Rose was a "can't take your eyes of him" performer. No one will ever have a voice like that either.

The thing I loved about GNR, is that they were heavy as hell, but they didn't need to make ugly guitar riffs, or play super fast, or growl. The heaviness was in the music, whether it was a song like November Rain or Welcome to The Jungle. They had the balls to go on co headlining tour with Metallica, and they went on after Metallica every night, and those who walked out of there those nights knew clearly who the real headliner was. GNR was able to take an exhausted Metallica beaten audience, and bring them to insanity. How many bands do you know that can go on after Metallica and pull that off? Probably none.

Each one of their albums is a gem. Even the Spagehtti Incident, which I couldn't listen to for years, grew on me and I love it.

I remember first getting Appetite For Destruction, and I just casually put it in my CD player. Then my goddamn jaw dropped. I was like "How the hell does this guy sing like that?!? This band is awesome."

Then the band just got better and better. They really pushed the boundaries musically. What a talented band......

I saw the new Guns n Roses on the 2002 failed tour, and they rocked. Axl kicked ass. Chinese Democracy will come put eventually, and when it does, it's going to be the biggest thing since the last Guns n Roses. Mark my words.

drewkowsky
11-19-2004, 10:02 AM
I think a lot of people don't like them, simply because they're not guns and roses. I bet most of us are still hanging onto the hope that Guns will re-unite. I know I am:D
I really am haha

I keep telling myself to let it go haha

nbjork
11-19-2004, 12:00 PM
i think alice in chains is overlooked too much.....awesome band

billwilliams70
11-19-2004, 12:15 PM

Metallica kicked their butt! Bottom line.

Later.

LatsMakeTheMan
11-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Metallica kicked their butt! Bottom line.

Later.

I said GNR was the LAST great rock band. Metallica was around beforehand. Study your rock textbooks.

DRUNK83
11-19-2004, 02:23 PM
i think alice in chains is overlooked too much.....awesome band

Probably the most underrated band ever.

billwilliams70
11-19-2004, 03:02 PM
I said GNR was the LAST great rock band. Metallica was around beforehand. Study your rock textbooks.

By using the word LAST it seems as if you're meaning the LAST one STILL around, not when they became a band. That's an awfully general comment then, 'the last great rock band.'

Either way, Metallica still kicked GnR's rear.

Later.

Hartski
11-19-2004, 03:27 PM
AC/DC owns Metallica and GnR.

But I like all three bands.

sculli
11-19-2004, 09:02 PM
You know what, when Velvet Revolver first came out I didn't like them either. My wife and I were at some CD store and she was going to buy it for me. I listened to it in the store a little and told her to put it back and get me something else b/c I didn't really like it. But later on I kept hearing them on the radio and it grew on me. So now I like them and wouldn't mind having the CD.

pauline81
11-20-2004, 04:51 PM
I loveeeeee the Gunners!!!!!!!

Yes they are up there as one of the best bands ever. Definently in my top 3.

CHIBI
11-27-2004, 04:58 AM
I love GNR, but I didn't get into the spaghetti incident

drewkowsky
11-28-2004, 10:52 AM
GNR'ers unite

METAL VIPER
11-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Let's stop the arguements on the greatest rock band...Let us all headbang in appreciation for all the musical fruit the 70's and 80's provided us with. I'm only 18 and I absolutely hate any music from today, besides Blistered Earth (great thrash band...www.blistered-earth.com). Rock on friends, rock on \m/

badlad4023
12-01-2004, 06:50 PM

gnr was great- appetite of destruction 10/10

"The 90's contributed very little to music in general." With this statement you deny the creation of two entirely new genres. Yea think about that, the 90's gave birth to two completely new genres of music (gangster rap and Seattle Rock). What was the last decade that created a new musical genre? . . . yea. You have called these bands a "joke". And therefore in your mind, that wipes out thier contributions to music. Your insults does nothing to undermine the muscial impact the 90's had. JFK was a joke. Does my callling him a joke wipe out his entire contribution to American politics . . .

Ballidus
12-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Let's stop the arguements on the greatest rock band...Let us all headbang in appreciation for all the musical fruit the 70's and 80's provided us with. I'm only 18 and I absolutely hate any music from today, besides Blistered Earth (great thrash band...www.blistered-earth.com). Rock on friends, rock on \m/

Same here, I'm 17, and I don't listen to anything past 1990...

Sometimes I wish I lived in that era :D then I'd befriend Axl and Izzy and convince them to let me in their band... so I could bask in the fame and fortune that followed :D

ballbags1
12-02-2004, 09:55 AM
GNR- one of my favorite bands of all time

LatsMakeTheMan
12-02-2004, 12:50 PM
gnr was great- appetite of destruction 10/10

"The 90's contributed very little to music in general." With this statement you deny the creation of two entirely new genres. Yea think about that, the 90's gave birth to two completely new genres of music (gangster rap and Seattle Rock). What was the last decade that created a new musical genre? . . . yea. You have called these bands a "joke". And therefore in your mind, that wipes out thier contributions to music. Your insults does nothing to undermine the muscial impact the 90's had. JFK was a joke. Does my callling him a joke wipe out his entire contribution to American politics . . .

Rap and alternative music suck a camel's balls.

massive member
12-05-2004, 02:15 PM
you also have to mention what was the flavor of the month when appeitite came out. all the bands that looked and sounded the same were all over MTV and billboard top 10.

when sweet child of mine started getting heavy airplay, all these ppl started to like them because that song was pretty typical of the other stuff that was out there. then they'd go buy the cd and hear its so easy, out ta get me, etc all the cursing and the rauchy lyrics.

too funny, they were expecting something like bon jovi or poison and they just got bitch smacked. LOL