PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Soreness

Thomas1
11-30-2001, 06:18 AM
In geneal, when muscles are stiff or sore the day or two following training does that mean they have been worked well and are healing, thus expecting muscle growth or does it mean that they have been over worked and there will be no gain?

Thanks
Thomas1

Brian
11-30-2001, 09:03 AM
Just from personal experience, soreness has meant that I worked well and is a precursor to growth. If I'm not sore the next day, I consider I didn't work hard enough.

Mind you, there's "sore" versus "pulled", but I expect we all can tell the difference. Sore will fade away ina day or two. Pulled hurts like heck for longer.

On this topic, my three-day split is producing great gains, BUT, it means that basically every day some part of my body is sore. I'm finding that it sometimes interferes with sleeping. Does anyone else find this?

Jimmy
11-30-2001, 12:16 PM
Yeah - I find that I'm always sore somewhere. And some nights it stops me sleeping so well. Also as I've got older I've noticed I piss more at nights - I suppose a shake b4 bed doesn't help either. Also if I exercise vigorously in the afternoon I'm kinda "Hot" which makes sleep uncomfortable.

I also find I'm a bit stupid after a workout unless I have a recovery drink straight after.

fitnessman
11-30-2001, 04:39 PM
Maybe because we are old farts now. Dang I did squats tues. and I am thining about putting one of those stair lift chairs in my house today(friday).

fight getting older, till death anyways.

Fit For Life
11-30-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by fitnessman
Maybe because we are old farts now. Dang I did squats tues. and I am thining about putting one of those stair lift chairs in my house today(friday).

Need a wheel chair or some cruches???

That's the problem. OLD FARTS.

Good to see you back fitnessman. Must have a lot going on at the college huh??

fit

fitnessman
11-30-2001, 04:52 PM
They kept me hoping this year. Things have finally slowed down and training is back to a rightous level.

If I had a crutch I'd whack you with it for saying that:)

Leviathan
12-04-2001, 03:29 PM
i had my leg workout on sunday

and on monday my legs were really killin

but i ended up runnin 12 miles

and now they're super sore!

so i guess they'll grow alot :)

kendo
12-10-2001, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy

Onset Muscle Soreness I believe is caused by a build up of lactic acid. I find that a below par workout does not produce soreness the next day but a good one does. I'm happy therefore when theres pain.. Does that make us all masochists?

kendo
12-10-2001, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy

I also find I'm a bit stupid after a workout unless I have a recovery drink straight after.

Jimmy
12-11-2001, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by kendo

Yeah - thought I might get a few responses from you guys on this one. I've been using Biotest Surge (Yeah Wank Wank give me all your flames then....Yeah its probably **** and all that) but I ordered the recovery one from ************** to try. I dunno - maybe its the simple carbs or something - maybe it alzeimers disease starting to show - but unless I have something like that within 1/2 an hour then I get a bit fogg brained for a hour or so. Hmmm not sure maybe I'm lacking something.

You thoughts...

Bi n tri
12-17-2001, 11:28 AM
glad to see I'm not the only old fart still bodybuilding.
keep them comments coming m they crack me up

jurisconsult
12-23-2001, 11:52 AM
Consider supplementing your diet with Ribose. Also consider adding the 'bodybuilder trinity', i.e., creatine, glutamine, and protein.

Robert
12-24-2001, 02:27 AM
Merry Christmas.

Peace

vikb
02-24-2010, 08:25 AM
My muscles are sore.. every damn day... its usually the muscle section that I worked out 2 days back.

I can hardly ever sleep... some part of my body coz is deeply tired

faaaaaack.

vikb
02-24-2010, 08:26 AM
My muscles are sore.. every damn day... its usually the muscle section that I worked out 2 days back.

I can hardly ever sleep... some part of my body coz is deeply tired

faaaaaack.

oh by the way.. im not over 35... i m 28 year old

folkprophet
02-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Soreness and growth are not synced like some magic tell tale. I have body parts that no matter how hard I work them, I hardly get sore (chest, tris) and others that get sore easilly (legs). Partly that's because my chest work has been better than my legs and I'm more conditioned to it. My legs get sore every time I work them out, but I'm still struggling to learn to work them hard enough. They have the least growth of muscle in my body - but always the most sore.

Not linked.

medjen
02-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Zombie thread from 2001 rises from the grave! Aaahh!

Bad Bob
02-24-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm happy therefore when theres pain.. Does that make us all masochists?

On some level?..... PROBABLY!

squibbscr
02-24-2010, 10:00 AM
sore = good

timross13
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Soreness and growth are not synced like some magic tell tale. I have body parts that no matter how hard I work them, I hardly get sore (chest, tris) and others that get sore easilly (legs). Partly that's because my chest work has been better than my legs and I'm more conditioned to it. My legs get sore every time I work them out, but I'm still struggling to learn to work them hard enough. They have the least growth of muscle in my body - but always the most sore.

Not linked.

I am with you Folkprophet. When I work legs, it is hard to walk the next morning. When I do shoulders, they are killing me the next day. Back, same thing. But when I work the biceps/triceps, no pain the next day, although they are killing me when I am doing curls and cable pulldowns. I was really focused last night when I was at the gym to REALLY work them, but this morning, no pain. I even did a couple extra reps. What gives?

beachguy498
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I am with you Folkprophet. When I work legs, it is hard to walk the next morning. When I do shoulders, they are killing me the next day. Back, same thing. But when I work the biceps/triceps, no pain the next day, although they are killing me when I am doing curls and cable pulldowns. I was really focused last night when I was at the gym to REALLY work them, but this morning, no pain. I even did a couple extra reps. What gives?

Sometimes DOMS takes a day or two to sink in. I'm having forearm DOMS lately more often (probably from shoveling snow), but generally get some soreness almost all the time somewhere. But no actual pain anywhere. Monday I had a particularly brutal afternoon at the gym but today I'm fine.

I do use glucosamine, protein supplement, a test booster and drink lots of water. I'm going to throw creatine onto the stack soon.

BG

folkprophet
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM

What gives with me is that I work chest out as it should be...changing things up constantly, pushing hard, constantly increasing the volume and strength, etc., etc... Therefore, my chest is conditioned to it. Other body parts fall somewhere inbetween close to being worked out as they should be and not so close. Therefore, any time I change up my leg routine (which I don't do often enough) or push extra hard (which I don't do often enough) etc., I get super sore.

I think it's more related to conditioning than a good workout. Ever been water-skiing for the first time in Summer? Doesn't matter what else you've been doing or how good-a-shape you're in. Running every day? Lifting weights? Playing pro sports? Then you ski that first time and the next day you can't walk and your back's killing you and your arms want to fall off, etc., etc....

Soreness is not a bad thing...especially if you haven't been doing what you should an then you start doing what you should...at the very least it might be indicating that you're changing and moving toward the correct sort of conditioning etc... But not being sore does not mean that you didn't get a good workout. Soreness isn't good or bad. It's just soreness.

Legbuh
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
When I don't get sore, I change things up.

I just switched from push/pull spits to FBWOs 3x a week (MWF) with 3-4 cardio sessions in between (yes, I'm trying to shed some fat). I missed the days in college where you'd work your chest then run the next day and every step you felt soreness in your chest.

The thing is, I do different compound movements for body parts each day. So for chest, Monday is bench, Wed is dips, and Fri is incline bench (I'll throw some flyes in there too if I don't feel I worked enough).

What's cool about this is, I don't feel that sore until I lift and work the muscle a different way. I can still do the same or more as last time, but I feel the soreness. And by friday, I'm pretty sore so I rest all weekend. :)

vikb
02-24-2010, 11:41 AM
alright i get it that soreness is a pretty good indication that i worked out enough.. but then sleep is also damn important.. this thing doesnt let me sleep.. i mean not sleep enough.. i could sleep extra 2 hours if they were not sore.

jaymen
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I feel the same way and had the same questions, I was worried about putting my body into an overtraining mode if I got too many sore muscle groups, but so far pain=growth for me and lifting with a not sore group hasn't slowed down my progress.

creeps
12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
yo i need help.........are you supposed to workout the same body part when sore?

Soulpatch
12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
oh by the way.. im not over 35... i m 28 year old

You are a child! LOL

inspired_art
12-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Just be aware of the slingshot effect

"To The Moon Alice!"

inspired_art
12-18-2010, 08:01 AM
yo i need help.........are you supposed to workout the same body part when sore?

That depends on whether you want to be a wimp, or a freak of nature.

Uber_Dad
12-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't really like lifting until my muscles are really sore, really tired yes, but not sore. I know I can spend a day or two going heavy and super hard, but I think my body responds better to lower weights more reps.

I have really been pleased with the results I've been making with this philosophy, being barely able to walk the next two days after a leg workout doesn't leave me inspired to do it again.

Legs, I am particularly careful with.

McPaw
12-18-2010, 09:24 PM
There's a good explanation of DOMS on wikipedia, long story short, it's caused by muscle damage from unaccustomed eccentric (muscle lengthning) excercise. I stress unaccustomed as over time the severity of your DOMS will become less for a given amount of muscle damage. So yes it means your growing but if it doesn't hurt so much in the future don't worry your probably still growing.

BrotherWolf
12-19-2010, 12:16 PM
In geneal, when muscles are stiff or sore the day or two following training does that mean they have been worked well and are healing, thus expecting muscle growth or does it mean that they have been over worked and there will be no gain?

Thanks
Thomas1

It means you are undertrained and your muscles aren't used to it

chodan9
12-19-2010, 01:00 PM
strong bump on this thread.
personally I have gotten good gains regardless of how sore I get.
But I still have the mindset that soreness is a badge of honor.
Like a verification of a job well done.

superseth
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
muscle soreness doesn't mean you had a good workout, it just means you worked something that you aren't used to working, or working that part more than usual.

Apacalypto
01-10-2011, 07:35 PM
muscle soreness doesn't mean you had a good workout, it just means you worked something that you aren't used to working, or working that part more than usual.

You have an interesting opinion. When I was undergoing a german volume training regimen for over 2 months, I did the same workout on my upper body day as other upper body days. I found that even after completing the same exact workout for 2 straight months, I still experienced muscle soreness. My belief is that muscle soreness is simply normal condition arising after a somewhat strenuous muscle contraction or workout. It could also be caused by working a muscle on different days using the same workout.

showjo1josh
02-23-2013, 08:29 AM
yea didnt lift for two weeks. came back squatted hard that monday and couldnt walk for 2 days. haha

jamest2k
02-23-2013, 02:20 PM
If you want to grow you always want to be sore because it means you are doing something that your body is not acclimatised to, which is what you want to achieve with every workout. However, that does not mean that if you are not sore your body will not grow, it can still grow if you're not sore. Being sore is just a good indicator that you had an effective workout, but also remember that everbody is different and their body responds differently to exercise. I never get a sore chest but always get sore triceps, yet my chest is my strongest body part and triceps one of the weakest.

s1rGr1nG0
02-26-2013, 03:26 AM
Hey guys! I saw this thread while browsing through the forums and thought I would reply. I just got back into lifting after a few months off to do some running. I did bi's/tri's yesterday morning and today I can barely straighten my arms out! It's sore but it sure feels good!

MDXIV
04-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Going through the soreness phase aswell haha. If you'd like to decrease it, icing the limbs you've worked upon post-exercise is good, also the next day take a really hot shower while massaging it. It'll do wonders. :)

mcapote3
04-18-2013, 08:44 AM
I have gotten sore back(lats, mid, lower), legs(calves, quads mainly not so much hammys), traps, neck, delts, but never really gotten sore in my arms. I have worked them till I cant lift crap and they really don't get sore. Does this mean a bad workout or just my arms are use to lifting?

BrotherWolf
04-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Going through the soreness phase aswell haha. If you'd like to decrease it, icing the limbs you've worked upon post-exercise is good, also the next day take a really hot shower while massaging it. It'll do wonders. :)

Icing is actually not a good thing for DOMS .. it reduces the pain temporarily but slows down the blood flow , hot shower, sauna , massage and just staying active, lift , running etc.. is the best cure
also the more you do it the less you feel it

I have gotten sore back(lats, mid, lower), legs(calves, quads mainly not so much hammys), traps, neck, delts, but never really gotten sore in my arms. I have worked them till I cant lift crap and they really don't get sore. Does this mean a bad workout or just my arms are use to lifting?

no it means your body is able to flush out what causes you DOMS , eventually you will stop having DOMS altogether unless you take long breaks or work muscles that aren't used to it

BrotherWolf
04-18-2013, 09:57 AM
If you want to grow you always want to be sore because it means you are doing something that your body is not acclimatised to, which is what you want to achieve with every workout. However, that does not mean that if you are not sore your body will not grow, it can still grow if you're not sore. Being sore is just a good indicator that you had an effective workout, but also remember that everbody is different and their body responds differently to exercise. I never get a sore chest but always get sore triceps, yet my chest is my strongest body part and triceps one of the weakest.

total BS .. broscience at best
and your last statement should be proof of that , there's a difference between DOMS and the soreness you get from working a muscle hard enough to break homeostasis and cause adaptation
which is what we want for growth and strength

MLBland
07-03-2013, 04:10 PM
On this topic, my three-day split is producing great gains, BUT, it means that basically every day some part of my body is sore. I'm finding that it sometimes interferes with sleeping. Does anyone else find this?

Oh my goodness!!! I am having the worst time sleeping!! This is my first week, I hope it gets better!

MLBland
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
New girl here, what does DOMS stand for/mean?

Also, as far as muscle soreness vs. pulled muscle, I know the feeling of both and the difference, however, I seriously feel like I have been rolled down the side of a mountain! I am sore! Did I push too hard too soon? I usually think mentally that if I'm not sore I didn't work hard enough, but my goodness, as I said above, I can't even sleep, lol. Hoping it gets better.... Happy lifting!

~Michelle

vthomebrewer
08-02-2013, 05:44 AM
New girl here, what does DOMS stand for/mean?

Also, as far as muscle soreness vs. pulled muscle, I know the feeling of both and the difference, however, I seriously feel like I have been rolled down the side of a mountain! I am sore! Did I push too hard too soon? I usually think mentally that if I'm not sore I didn't work hard enough, but my goodness, as I said above, I can't even sleep, lol. Hoping it gets better.... Happy lifting!

~Michelle

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

It's my first week back into lifting as well and your mountain analogy is a good one.
I have been surprised by the level of soreness, but can attest to the use of certain supplements to reduce soreness and help sleep.
ZMA has definitely helped me get a good nights sleep, as most blends have some melatonin, which can help get you to dream-land and keep you there through most of the night.
As other posters have said, the level of soreness usually decreases as you keep going and, eventually, you'll crave the feeling of sore muscles.

Just my two cents,
Zach

STUART1963
08-07-2013, 03:33 PM
I little tip for soreness.
Now and again I have found that I can still be sore from my last workout and I was told a good way to cure this was to do "Isometrics" on that muscle group thats still sore the night before you are about to train that muscle again. My chest can be real sore when I work it hard so I have tried this and for me it really does seem to work. Try it and let me know if it works for you to.

minushuman
08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I find I have less soreness the day after if I have a protein shake in the evening. Maybe the extra protein helps repair the tissue? I'm by no means an expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

OutOfStep
08-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I find I have less soreness the day after if I have a protein shake in the evening. Maybe the extra protein helps repair the tissue? I'm by no means an expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

Protein helping with tissue repair? How do you people dream up this stuff? :)

minushuman
08-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Protein helping with tissue repair? How do you people dream up this stuff? :)
I know that's what it's meant to do, I'm just not sure it helps that much.

I don't really want to skip it and find out. :p

Simmo74
08-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah just changed my workout after pretty much doing the same things for 5 months. Been sore as, weights are less as well. Just goes to show ya quickly end up getting good as something.

Gotta keep mixing it up.