PDA

View Full Version : Belt or not?

luvdimtigers
06-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I've never used a belt when lifting. Now though, when I squat and deadlift, my lower back is tight for a couple of days, interfering with my cardio. I'm thinking of using one when I squat and deadlift, once I get to around 300lbs. Do most of you use a belt?

goddessamazon
06-28-2007, 03:30 PM
I've never used a belt when lifting. Now though, when I squat and deadlift, my lower back is tight for a couple of days, interfering with my cardio. I'm thinking of using one when I squat and deadlift, once I get to around 300lbs. Do most of you use a belt?

I always squat and deadlift with a belt. But I take it off for everything else.

stahlhart
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't wear one, nor do I squat or dead enough weight to really justify it, either. I've occasionally had some lower back pain interfere with running, though.

luvdimtigers
06-28-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't wear one, nor do I squat or dead enough weight to really justify it, either. I've occasionally had some lower back pain interfere with running, though.

That is when it bothers me, when I try to run, I'm wondering if I need it when I get to a weight that I'm only doing 6-8 reps.

stahlhart
06-28-2007, 03:47 PM
That is when it bothers me, when I try to run, I'm wondering if I need it when I get to a weight that I'm only doing 6-8 reps.

I've been trying to keep the workouts that hit this part of my body well separated from the days I am running.

dbx
06-28-2007, 03:59 PM
Running itself, can bother your back sometimes. It does mine. I started out doing squats with a belt....and then progressed to only wearing it as a "comfort" kinda thing for certain lifts. Now, I don't use one anymore. I don't squat really heavy weight, and I find it makes me concentrate holding my core tight, which is a good thing. My back pain (possibly from SLDLs OR Squats) never lasts more than a day or two and always goes away, so I just keep going :).

stahlhart
06-28-2007, 04:08 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson294.htm

[ Q ] What would be your guidelines for squatting?

I don't think your should overdo it. If you do it will make your waistline bigger.

Works for me. :)

Mr. Someday
06-28-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson294.htm

[ Q ] What would be your guidelines for squatting?

I don't think your should overdo it. If you do it will make your waistline bigger.

Works for me. :)

You conveniently left off the question before it where he said "if you're squatting 700 for 10 reps you're going to have a bigger waistline". Don't think anyone in here will have that problem!

TuffGirl
06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey, Mr. Someday... Don't tell Shellie I said so (although I'm sure she's heard it before) but, you're thighs are looking pretty damn good! :)

Mr. Someday
06-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey, Mr. Someday... Don't tell Shellie I said so (although I'm sure she's heard it before) but, you're thighs are looking pretty damn good! :)

Thanks....but you should see the waistline that goes along with them!!! :D

farsscf
06-28-2007, 04:43 PM
yeah, damn Mr. Someday, no wonder you broke your wife.

SR800
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I always use a belt these days when I go heavy, that is a relative term for each person, experiment and see how different belts fit your body, listen to your body, respect what it tells you and proceed.

SR800
06-28-2007, 04:49 PM
yeah, damn Mr. Someday, no wonder you broke your wife.

I think that would look better as a tag line than "I want a PB&J", it should read "Wife Breaker!" ;) :D

Stenn
06-28-2007, 06:09 PM

If your form is good during your deadlifts, that tightness in your lower back is just DOMS. Especially if it's on either side of the spine and not in the middle. If your lower back hurts from squats, that's a problem.

I only use a belt on my heaviest sets, and sometimes not even then. It's like a security blanket for me. When I feel a little nervous, I reach for the belt. I'm currently squatting 225 lb and deadlifting 295 lb.

MuscleHead36
06-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Should always wear a belt while doing squats or deadlifts.

Djanvk
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I just started using a belt, but I have had lower back spasm issues before and I feel much better after squatting or Deadlifting since I've bought a belt, it actually make me feel more confident on heavier lifts also on those.

Plus it doesn't hurt is you use one, but if you don't and you blow your back out, you will say damn I wish I had used one.

to each his own.

John Prophet
06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
I use a belt for squats, deads, bent rows, standing overhead presses, heavy shrugs, good mornings (I dont do many of those)

if u know how to use it, the belt helps increase "IAP"...intra abdominal pressure. To use it correctly you actually breath into the belly to push out against the belt.

for instance, when u squat you should feel the pressure against the belt increase as you go down etc

that added IAP helps to keep vertebra etc in place etc, lol....just like extra newspaper packed in a box keeps the contents from shifting around

Tyrbolift
06-28-2007, 11:27 PM
i never liked the leather type of belt with holes and a buckle. It was always either doing nothing or squeezing too tight, depending on where I was in each rep. I discovered these while working a heavy manual labor job. It gives nice firm support throughout the lifting range of movement, keeps my vertebrae in line, and has literally "saved" my lower back.

I just cut off the dorky suspenders. :D

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k39/viking51_photo/7b5E7D5EB0-D8AA-43E9-9346-0424DC017.jpg

Adrenalize
06-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Pretty much only use a belt when I go heavy squats & deads.

thomasale
06-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Not yet...but I am gonna get one today

BergMuscle
06-29-2007, 06:59 AM
I use a belt for squats, deads, bent rows, standing overhead presses, heavy shrugs, good mornings (I dont do many of those)

if u know how to use it, the belt helps increase "IAP"...intra abdominal pressure. To use it correctly you actually breath into the belly to push out against the belt.

for instance, when u squat you should feel the pressure against the belt increase as you go down etc

that added IAP helps to keep vertebra etc in place etc, lol....just like extra newspaper packed in a box keeps the contents from shifting around

Great explanation, JP. I'd rep you but I have to "spread the love" a bit more first.

I wear a belt for squats and deads. Once in a while on military press if I'm going real heavy. Actually when I do deads I wear elastic knee supports, a weight belt, gloves, and lifting straps. I look like freakin' robocop, but my numbers and overall bodystrength have gone up so I don't mess with success.

BTW, my belt is one of those old leather jobs with the traditional holes and metal belt hook (not sure what it's called) - no velcro here. Just like my weights and benches, all "old school" stuff. And I love it! :D

mstenn
06-29-2007, 07:10 AM

That is a sounds answer and i agree totally in what you are saying...

...But are you not taking over the role of your core muscles. Wearing a belt seems to be a sensible option for when you are tackling very heavy weights or if your exhaustion is risking your perfect form. but couldnt it potentially be detrimental to your core strength. The one day you lift something heavy outside the gym, or at the gym for that matter without a belt; it could possible risk injury if your body is not used to doing similar movements without it.

mfsteve
06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
I haven't used one but given these posts I think I might go buy one.

Can we expand this post a little? I'd like to know the specifics of the belts you guys use as in width of the front, sides, and back.

Mr. Someday
06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
...But are you not taking over the role of your core muscles. Wearing a belt seems to be a sensible option for when you are tackling very heavy weights or if your exhaustion is risking your perfect form. but couldnt it potentially be detrimental to your core strength. The one day you lift something heavy outside the gym, or at the gym for that matter without a belt; it could possible risk injury if your body is not used to doing similar movements without it.

This reasoning gets posted every time someone brings up belts, straps, etc. It is BS! You are not removing your core or your forearms or anything else, but you are allowing them to go beyond where they would normally fail so that you can get to failure on the muscle you are actually targeting. Why is it so many people forget you are still working your core very hard during a heavy deadlift or squat....regardless of wether you have a belt on. Same holds true for pulling 600#'s up off the floor with straps on.....you're foreams are getting worked like mad.

newmexico123
06-29-2007, 01:01 PM
only wear a belt if you really need it - maximum efforts on squat or deads for example - wearing belts to often leads to weakness in the core.

there is nothing worse than guys who always wear their belts -usually with no shirts - pulled so tight that their tongues are hanging out! these same people often have their belt on when they walk into the gym!

Carl123
06-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Let us move away from speculation and opinion and review objective research literature regarding the effectiveness of belts. The following paper by Dr. Stu McGill, a highly regarded expert on Spine Biomechanics, sheds light on this subject based on scientific facts.

http://www.backfitpro.com/recent%20articles/weight%20belts.pdf

GREENFEATHER
06-29-2007, 01:50 PM

I only use Tommy Kono. It keeps the muscles warm and adds just a little support.

newmexico123
06-29-2007, 01:52 PM
The report - IMO - backs up what i said

Stenn
06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Here's what Mark Rippetoe says in his book, Starting Strength:

"A belt should be used judiciously, possibly restricted to the last warm-up and work sets, if then. Some trainees will not require a belt at all, for much of the early part of their training career, and if the abs are strong and the back uninjured, may prefer to never use one. This is a judgement call, one that must be made with the input of the trainee, but it is probably prudent to err on the side of safety if there is any question at all about it. A belt will not prevent the trunk from getting and staying strong - there is plenty of work for the trunk muscles even if a belt is worn on heavy sets - and it may help the trainee to safely squat enough weight to radically improve his strength, something he might not be able to do without it."

I think that's a long-winded way of saying, "Wear a belt if you want to."

CmeliftHeavy
07-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Wear the belt when lifting heavy or doing back. i use my belt when lifting really heavy its good to have and won't hurt utalizing the belt. But don't become belt reliant.....

muttytwist
07-05-2007, 02:01 PM
IMHO, if your haveing pain in your back you should try one. I don't use one till the weights start getting heavy. "Heavy" for me means around the 300lbs. mark for squats and deads and around 200 for bent rows. You really have make the call for yourself though, some people use them for everything and some don't use them at all. BBing and lifting is all about what works for you.

GoOrange
07-05-2007, 02:55 PM
The most important thing is good form. Don't ever lift a weight that is so heavy you lose your form.

John Prophet perfectly explained the theory behind the belt and how to use it (first time I've seen someone here mention about the breathing into the belt part).

Here is a cut and paste from the ACSM "current comment" PDF about the safety of the squat exercise.

"Abdominal strength is also important to protect the spine. During a heavy lift, lifters hold their breath during the effort portion of the lift. This increases intra-abdominal pressure and helps stabilize the spine. Wearing a weight belt may also help the athlete exert intraabdominal pressure. While there is some controversy about the use of weight belts, they probably should be used during heavy squat lifts."

That's about as definitive a stand as you're going to get. Probably should be used during heavy squat lifts.

A lower back tightness is most likely just muscle soreness from using the heavier weights. As long as your form is OK (maintaining lumbar lordosis), you shouldn't have to worry.