PDA

View Full Version : Influence of your GPA?

CHS55
06-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Guys, how much of a role does your GPA play on getting a scholarship for football? Say, if I had a 3.9 GPA, would that reduce my chances of getting into a good college?

SDOptimist
06-20-2007, 05:41 PM
with a 3.9 and being a good athlete, you will have schools like stanford and harvard going after you. 3.9 is an amazing gpa, you could get into almost any school with a 3.9. really a 3.0 and higher should qualify you to get a scholly from just about any school, some 3.5 and higher, like the stanfords, harvards or yales. but if your a good athlete and have a 3.0-3.5, you could get into a ivy league or something of their academic status.

Russia25
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
how would a 3.9 HURT your chances? lol Assuming youre on a 4.0 scale, it wont hurt your chances at all unless you are planning on triple majoring with chemical engineering, theoretical physics, and aeronautical engineering lol

eyecntreed
06-20-2007, 06:32 PM
If you mean on a 6 point scale then that will affect your chances. You can help your chances a whole lot by doing real good on the SAT or ACT though.

watchandsee23
06-20-2007, 07:32 PM
6.0 scale?

coast2coast
06-20-2007, 07:41 PM
6.0 scale?
Honor's A=6
A/Honor's B=5
B/Honor's C=4
C/Honor's D=3
D/Honor's F?=2
F=1

HenryHill
06-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Being realistic a good GPA isn't going to help you very much. Believe me, I have a 4.0 GPA and got a 33 on my ACT on the first try. No major D1 schools have come knocking because I have good grades. Sure, some of the Ivy League schools are recruiting me along with some D3 schools with GREAT academic reputations, but these are schools where you have to be smart to just get in so they can only recruit people like me.

Am I saying GPA and test scores aren't important? Definitely not. I'm happy because I can get into pretty much every school in the nation with the exception of maybe MIT. You want to have as many options as possible even if you aren't going to play football. It would really really suck to want to go somewhere and not be able to get in because of grades.

Breeeesy
06-20-2007, 08:13 PM
At my high school we have a 11.0 scale

Bigpoppa-JD
06-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Its not the god of things necesary,but colleges dont want i big dumby that wont be able to play because of grades.Even though they might have all the talent in the world if you cant play it does them no good.

watchandsee23
06-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Being realistic a good GPA isn't going to help you very much. Believe me, I have a 4.0 GPA and got a 33 on my ACT on the first try. No major D1 schools have come knocking because I have good grades. Sure, some of the Ivy League schools are recruiting me along with some D3 schools with GREAT academic reputations, but these are schools where you have to be smart to just get in so they can only recruit people like me.

Am I saying GPA and test scores aren't important? Definitely not. I'm happy because I can get into pretty much every school in the nation with the exception of maybe MIT. You want to have as many options as possible even if you aren't going to play football. It would really really suck to want to go somewhere and not be able to get in because of grades.
Not saying you don't but, if you don't have the talent to play they aren't going to recruit you just because you are a good student. they will take an average student and great athlete before great student average player.

frobro
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm not exactly sure what kind of scholarship the state gives but here in SC we have a scholly that goes automatically to a senior who has a 3.0 GPA (weighted scale, goes to like 5.7, based on level of classes taken), 1000+ SAT, and top 30% in class. Gotta make 2 out of 3. You get 5000 a year.

Bigger schools love guys with great grades, why? Because that's less money they would have to spend on you!

eyecntreed
06-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Not saying you don't but, if you don't have the talent to play they aren't going to recruit you just because you are a good student. they will take an average student and great athlete before great student average player.

Exactly, I had a 13.2 GPA on a 12 point scale in high school, but I'm not good enough to get a full ride at a legendary school, but I am going to an Ivy league school with a good reputation. It just depends on the school and how they look at their different athletic programs in relation to academics.

apipedream0750
06-20-2007, 09:55 PM
i dont no how much academics play a role when it comes down to it.. as long as u qualify i think schools will want you. That being said, the better athlete you are the lower grades you can get. I dont no how many kids on here will be helped by a 2.1 GPA and will have major D1's kncoking o ntheir door.

I have 2 friends that go Yale and one had a 3.2 gpa and a 1130 SAT out of 1600 in hs. They are both all confrence as Sophomores and top athletes in the Ivy League that got pro potentiol tho...

watchandsee23
06-20-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm not exactly sure what kind of scholarship the state gives but here in SC we have a scholly that goes automatically to a senior who has a 3.0 GPA (weighted scale, goes to like 5.7, based on level of classes taken), 1000+ SAT, and top 30% in class. Gotta make 2 out of 3. You get 5000 a year.

Bigger schools love guys with great grades, why? Because that's less money they would have to spend on you!
You talking about Life? or Palmetto Fellows?

HenryHill
06-20-2007, 10:44 PM

That's what I was trying to say. Most schools don't give a **** about your grades as long as you can get through the Clearinghouse.

CHS55
06-21-2007, 04:17 AM
Well just to reduce the confusion, this is on a weighted scale, 5.0 being the highest and unobtainable.