PDA

View Full Version : my friend called me 'metrosexual' should I be offended?!

gogz
06-16-2007, 10:37 AM

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 10:39 AM

NO! There's nothing wrong with being able to dress yourself, groom yourself, smell good, and not be a dickhead all the time.

I always thought I'd end up with a country boy or something like that, until I met my metro now husband :D

Crazymix
06-16-2007, 10:40 AM
i get that all the time just cuz I'm clean and take care of myself and dress FLY

gogz
06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
and dress FLY

x2, I dont like kicking around looking scruffy lol

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 10:42 AM
i get that all the time just cuz I'm clean and take care of myself and dress FLY

LOL....they just be haaaytin.

Hugh Jazz
06-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Hey it's better than being called a homosexual (no homo) (not talking from experience)

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Hey it's better than being called a homosexual (no homo) (not talking from experience)

LOL!! true:)

gunshow91
06-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Yes.

homo.

jk

John Prophet
06-16-2007, 03:21 PM
yes, be pissed

Jamie M
06-16-2007, 04:13 PM
No, Women like a guy who takes good care of himself and wants to look good.

John Prophet
06-16-2007, 04:15 PM
uh, correct me if Im wrong...but the term "metrosexual" has connotations WAY beyond just "someone who looks good", lol

for instance lots of metrosexuals dont look good in the first place

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 07:51 PM
uh, correct me if Im wrong...but the term "metrosexual" has connotations WAY beyond just "someone who looks good", lol

for instance lots of metrosexuals dont look good in the first place

NO! my husband had always liked to look nice. But he's honed in on the better ways to groom oneself and for that he's been "accused" of being metrosexual. Frankly, I wouldn't have him any other way.

MarlboroMan
06-16-2007, 07:55 PM
yes i think so, A man should be nice and hairy, horribly groomed with even worse hygiene. If you dont smell like a fresh pile of rancid food then you cant really call yourself a man.

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 07:58 PM
yes i think so, A man should be nice and hairy, horribly groomed with even worse hygiene. If you dont smell like a fresh pile of rancid food then you cant really call yourself a man.

ROFLMAO!!! You're lucky i smoke marlboros or i'd done neggeg yo bootay.

Jk!

John Prophet
06-16-2007, 08:29 PM
so let me get this straight....a guy cant look good or take care of himself without being a metro?

thats weird because I always true to stay pretty well groomed and smelling nice etc but I dont see me ever being called metro, lol

I think you guys must have a different meaning for the word than what I understand it to be

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 08:35 PM
so let me get this straight....a guy cant look good or take care of himself without being a metro?

thats weird because I always true to stay pretty well groomed and smelling nice etc but I dont see me ever being called metro, lol

I think you guys must have a different meaning for the word than what I understand it to be

To me, a metro is someone who knows and is aware of what is in style and what suits his looks best. He is also one who keeps himself groomed well, and has a very very nice smell about him...to see him you would almost think he was teh gay, until you saw how much poontang he pulled in.

John Prophet
06-16-2007, 08:37 PM
yep, definitely we have a difference of opinion on the meaning of the word, lol

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 08:51 PM
yep, definitely we have a difference of opinion on the meaning of the word, lol

LOL! I know around here (very southern mentality) you say metrosexual, or anything other than "he does women" and people think gay. And it's just so far from the truth.

empresscat
06-16-2007, 09:09 PM
The definition of metrosexual on Ask Men:

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/austin_100/102b_fashion_style.html

natescope
06-16-2007, 09:13 PM
it doesn't get any more emoetrosexual than creating a thread in the female misc

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 09:34 PM

WHOA MR NATE! DO NOT CONFUSE METRO WITH EMO! that's just wrong, man :)

daviess
06-16-2007, 09:42 PM
yes

natescope
06-16-2007, 09:44 PM
WHOA MR NATE! DO NOT CONFUSE METRO WITH EMO! that's just wrong, man :)

what's the difference? neither are alpha

John Prophet
06-16-2007, 09:49 PM

"emoetrosexual"

thats a new one...maybe it will catch on

bttrthnb4
06-16-2007, 09:49 PM
what's the difference? neither are alpha

Emo are never alpha unless to themselves. Metros may not look alpha, but my metro definately displays his alphaness in teh bed. That is the only way I know.

hugs
06-17-2007, 10:09 AM
yes you should be pissed if you want to be seen as masculine...

Short Answer: it means you dress so preppy it's almost girly.

Long Answer: Metrosexual is a word describing men who have a strong concern for their aesthetic appearance, and spend a substantial amount of time and money on their images and lifestyles. Though the term has undergone a transformation from its original meaning (a heterosexual man who appeared or acted as if he were homosexual or bisexual), current trends have seen the metrosexual label placed upon male embracing of practices usually perceived to be feminine, rather than those specifically associated with stereotypically effeminate homosexuals. Debate surrounds the term's use as a theoretical signifier of gender deconstruction and its associations with consumerism. Current gender scholars view metrosexuality as representative of the embracing of relational understanding in addition to its lifestyle and aesthetic implications. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrosexual

Celestial Wind
06-17-2007, 10:41 AM
so based on that long answer, would it be good or bad?

iBswole
06-17-2007, 10:48 AM
i cut my nails and my jeans aren't torn - am i metro?

Jamie M
06-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Do you get your nails done at a salon?

LiftingIsLife
06-17-2007, 02:12 PM

No. as someone else said, its NOT just what you wear, or how pretty you make youself look. its also not how BUFF you are/arent.
Its really how you act and how much importance/time you put into your personal appearance. in old fashion terms, think preppy, or effeminate man.
really has nothing to do with being well-groomed or not scruffy looking

best,
~lifer (no homo / no metro)

hugeness
06-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Its a nice way of saying "feminine but still a hetero. I dress myself nice, am clean shaven and i have never been called metrosexual, nor do I ever want to be called that. My wife wouldnt want a "metrosexual" husband.

daYDreAmErX
06-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I've been going out with a metrosexual during a little more than two years. I liked it in the beginning but it started to piss me off after 2-3 months. You wanna go camping ? Oh noes, there's dust everywhere. Wanna go to the movies ? OK, give me two hours to take a shower and dress up and I'll be ready.

A man can be clean and look good without being a metrosexual.

LiftingIsLife
06-17-2007, 08:02 PM
A man can be clean and look good without being a metrosexual.

Exactly.....

best,
~lifer (no homo / no metro)

gogz
06-18-2007, 03:38 AM
Its a nice way of saying "feminine but still a hetero. I dress myself nice, am clean shaven and i have never been called metrosexual, nor do I ever want to be called that. My wife wouldnt want a "metrosexual" husband.

good point, I dress nice and clean shaven but I wouldnt say Im feminine. I thinki my friend either doesnt understand the true meaning of metrosexuality or he was just making fun lol

empresscat
06-18-2007, 09:47 AM
A metro guy spends a lot of money on shoes and clothes - and knows the hottest brands, gets manicures and pedicures, styles his hair every day using "product," wears cologne, likes shopping, tweezes his eyebrows, uses skin care products... you get the idea.

http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2004/sep/01ga-metro.htm
http://www.fuali.com/test.aspx?id=3e1a70da-05d4-4549-8643-ca42ec79376b
http://www.yournewromance.com/areyoumetrosexual.html

And if a guy calls another guy metro, it's usually an insult - though often a kind of joking one.

bttrthnb4
06-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Oh snap....i guess I'm not married to a metro after all!

S'okay tho, at least I don't have to share my hair stuffs :D

hugeness
06-18-2007, 05:24 PM
A metro guy spends a lot of money on shoes and clothes - and knows the hottest brands, gets manicures and pedicures, styles his hair every day using "product," wears cologne, likes shopping, tweezes his eyebrows, uses skin care products... you get the idea.

http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2004/sep/01ga-metro.htm
http://www.fuali.com/test.aspx?id=3e1a70da-05d4-4549-8643-ca42ec79376b
http://www.yournewromance.com/areyoumetrosexual.html

And if a guy calls another guy metro, it's usually an insult - though often a kind of joking one.
That first paragraph sounds like the description of a flamboyantly gay guy.

empresscat
06-18-2007, 06:32 PM
That first paragraph sounds like the description of a flamboyantly gay guy.

Well, I know straight men who do all of those things, and date one... and that's exactly why the term "metrosexual" was created, to distinguish from "homosexual"

TwiloMike
06-18-2007, 06:35 PM
No.

Ju think so? Let me tell ju something, honey.... ;)

j/k (no hetero)

TwiloMike
06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
OMG I just posted in the female misc. Will I turn str8? :confused:

runNwild
06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Like pretty much everyone else said, it doesn't necessarily mean you're gay, BUT... when I call someone a metro, I'm basically saying you're trying too hard and need to slow it down. Like, there's a diff btwn taking care of yourself, smelling good, dressing fly, etc... I like that (most girls do, I think) - but when you arch your eyebrows (not just tweeze a uni or some strays), or shave your armpits, wear concealer/foundation, stuff like that... you're doing too much and you're metro in NOT a good way!!! So yeah, be offended, man... be veeeeerrryyyy offended! :)

Crazymix
06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
good point, I dress nice and clean shaven but I wouldnt say Im feminine. I thinki my friend either doesnt understand the true meaning of metrosexuality or he was just making fun lol

x2 ....

wouldlikemuscle
06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
OMG I just posted in the female misc. Will I turn str8? :confused:

Don't you dare! ;)