PDA

View Full Version : How Does Hypertrophy occur during sleep?



marcFE
08-04-2004, 11:33 AM
I'm curious and rather bored, wondering if anyone has any articles on how hypertrophy occurs during sleep/phases it goes through?

I just wonder because alot of times I get 8 - 10 hours of sleep but I'll wake up 2-3 times during the night and I'm curious would this hurt my gains if I was still getting a full nights sleep in terms of time?

And well I'm just bored :)

bobcat
08-04-2004, 02:45 PM
No... Hypertrophy and protein anabolism is an ongoing process which is why you need to spread protein intake throughout the day.

bobcat
08-04-2004, 02:51 PM
No... Hypertrophy and protein anabolism is an ongoing process which is why you need to spread protein intake throughout the day.

Melkor
08-04-2004, 03:03 PM
The largest amounts of growth hormone are released at night, and this is a period when muscle repair is in full swing. If you can get uninterrupted sleep it would be best, but there shouldn't be a huge difference for your gains if you cannot manage.

zackmurphy
08-04-2004, 03:12 PM
tissue creation is 24/7

Melkor
08-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by zackmurphy
tissue creation is 24/7

Absolutely true. However GH levels are highest at night and that means more new growth occurs during this period than at other times.

zackmurphy
08-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Melkor
Absolutely true. However GH levels are highest at night and that means more new growth occurs during this period than at other times.
Wasn't disagreeing with you at all. (didn't even read the earlier responses prior to typing out my incredibly helpful answer.)

timelinex
08-04-2004, 03:47 PM
so how many hours do u really need for good recovery. b\c i know when scohol starts i usually get only from 5-7 hours of sleep,i know bad but my school is soo early.

asrent the first 4 hours the most important and the rest are MOSTLY dreams and not productive.

zackmurphy
08-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by kyle0k
so how many hours do u really need for good recovery. b\c i know when scohol starts i usually get only from 5-7 hours of sleep,i know bad but my school is soo early.

asrent the first 4 hours the most important and the rest are MOSTLY dreams and not productive.
Try gong to bed just a little earlier, champ. I found I did MUCH better on 8, even though I don't feel like I need 8. My workouts and cardio was better with a little extra, too.

I can get by for weeks on 5/night, but I feel so much better on 7-8 hours sleep.

Melkor
08-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by zackmurphy
I can get by for weeks on 5/night, but I feel so much better on 7-8 hours sleep.

Same here. You will lift more, recover faster and grow faster if you sleep 8 hours a night.

marcFE
08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Popular topic :)

Hehe I was just curious as to what the body does once you rest in order to recover as it goes through the REM cycle does it do different things in recovery or does it just constantly repair tissue?

Wasn't really sure and was looking for a good read since I was bored :)

zxcager
08-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Ok, technically speaking, my muscles are growing even as I'm staring at the screen and punching the keyboard?

zackmurphy
08-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by zxcager
Ok, technically speaking, my muscles are growing even as I'm staring at the screen and punching the keyboard?
In theory, yes. If your diet is right, yes. If you're in a positive nitrogen balance, have successfully overloaded your muscles, and have adequate calories for tissue creation.... yes.