PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Failure?

bigdigiele
05-13-2002, 03:04 PM
I've supposedly stressed out my kidneys before on a low-carb diet... I had 24-hour urine, and blood tests done numerous times. While on the low-carb - high protein (around 1.5-2g per pound) my levels were extremely elevated. The doctor told me I could have kidney disease, and it may lead to kidney failure unless I go low-protein. As a bodybuilder, It sucked ass, but I did it. A month later (had been on a high-carb - low-protein diet), my levels were almost back in the normal range. Was my elevated creatinine levels and the fact that protein was in my urine only a result of being in a state of ketosis? Has this happened to anyone else?

Luke530
05-13-2002, 04:59 PM
yeah, i had high BUN (blood urea nitrogen) levels, and creatinine levels were also elevated, but probably because i was on a creatine cycle, anyway my doctor thought i had some disease also but I just kept on taking my protein and never went back for another visit (this happened pro. like 4 months ago when i was dieting)

bigdigiele
05-14-2002, 10:09 AM
your not worried?

Luke530
05-14-2002, 03:54 PM
Not really, the creatinine was from excess creatine, and the BUN was a little high since i was cutting and my body was probably using protein as a source of fuel, other than that I feel fine.

bigdigiele
05-17-2002, 04:54 AM
Yeah, I feel fine too... But with the kidney, Im told you cant tell if anything is wrong sometimes. I really hope nothing is wrong with my body because Im back on a keto for an upcoming contest...

Luke530
05-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Keto is whats doing that to you, presonally I think keto is a very bad diet because of how harmful it is to your kidneys and liver, Ketosis is a very bad state for you body to be in for long periods of time, It works but also damages your kidneys and liver because your body is using protein for energy through glucogenesis which is hard on the liver, and the kidneys have to work extra hard to filter out the excess protein.... not a good combo, with the problem you have now, I'd stay away from Keto, but i'm sure that nothing will happen to you if you do decide to do keto again, just make sure to drink loads of water to help your kidneys filter your blood.

euhmann
09-30-2009, 04:54 PM
what is Keto i have also been told to stop with my supplements high creatine levels in blood .kidneys are hurting but i also used to belive it was back pain . this all comes about after i go to E.R my car landed on my chest and they did blood work s i am currently not lifting wich could be why back is in pain. ? i drink 3 to 4 protein shakes a day ON whey protein also ON 2222 aminos . am i getting to many aminos also creatine and a no booster (altered state ) i have had great results and do not wanna give up any recommendations on what i should do

BIG-MARBLES
09-30-2009, 05:02 PM
I had 24-hour urine

That sucks man, how do you fix that. Wear a catheter?

YOU HAVE NO MARBLES.

Looton
02-15-2014, 12:08 AM
That sucks man, how do you fix that. Wear a catheter?

YOU HAVE NO MARBLES.
lol - I did one of those about 12 years ago. I had to piss in a milk jug for a day. The doctor found protein in my urine, but never figure out why...

maggiesfarm
02-15-2014, 01:16 AM
Why be low carb in the first place? For fat loss? Just keep your calories at a reasonable deficit, assuming that's your goal. A gram of protein per pound of bodyweight is more than enough.

Or you could be irresponsible and disregard the actual data you are getting from your doctor's visits because everyone thinks carbs are magic...

TearsOfIce
02-15-2014, 01:28 AM
so are people on low carbs-high protein diets more prone to get kidneys problems than people on high carb-high protein?

maggiesfarm
02-15-2014, 02:33 AM
I have seen a lot of articles saying that isn't the case, that they're safe for kidneys, but I'm certainly no expert and even then I haven't dug into it deeply enough to even know if the studies those articles point to represent the medical mainstream.

But even if they don't affect the general population that way, OP's doctor went so far as to suggest kidney disease, and at that point I don't really see the point of being low-carb for its own sake. They get a lot of hype but I imagine a big part of that is largely sedentary/obese/insulin-sensitive people noticing a large change in their (water) weight right away, or suddenly having an easier time restricting calories than they were previously. Some of that was true in my case too.

Still, my experience since then is that you can get the same effects with calorie restriction and getting adequate protein, and not avoiding carbs specifically. The question is, does OP *need* to be on a low-carb diet? I don't see why it would be necessary, given the problems it's caused.

Mdenatale
02-15-2014, 07:25 AM
High protein diet is not bad for your kidneys, period.

Also, High creatine in the urine is an indication that you kidneys are working properly, not that they have a problem.

rhadam
02-15-2014, 09:29 AM
What a fantastic 12 year old thread.