PDA

View Full Version : How do I make my lats grow?

badbart
11-27-2001, 02:49 PM
My lats are not as big as the rest of my body. My back work out is the following.

Dead Lifts 3sets of 5 reps last set to failure
Pull Downs 3sets of 5 reps last set to failure
Machine Rows: 3sets of 5 reps last set to failure

My other body parts are trained with the same amount of sets and reps and it is working well except for my lats. Itrain 1 body part a week and eat 3000 to 3500 calories a day.

Logo
11-27-2001, 04:49 PM
To me, it doesn't sound like you're working your back very well at all. I'd throw in some upright rows for a good compound excercise. As far as the lats go you can also try wide grip pullups. You might only be able to start out with 3 sets of 4 or 5 reps but that's ok. My lats seem to respond to low reps anyways but everyone is different.

JayBro
11-27-2001, 04:59 PM
3 sets of 5 reps IMO is not going to "grow" anything.

Try 3 sets of 4 or 5 different back exercises for a total of 12 to 15 sets of 10 reps.

Fatal Error
11-27-2001, 05:15 PM
dumbell rows all the way baby. Also try bent over rows.

RickyNZ
11-27-2001, 05:42 PM
I have the same problem with my lats. Really wide grip is the way to go for Lats.. close grip exercises that keep your arms close in to ur body primarily work the inner middle and upper back.

I don't really feel that one arm rows work the lats as effectivly as people think.. while you do get the stretch, for me, my upper and middle back does most of the work.

I have really never done wide grip exercises for my back recently, and this is probably why my lats are not growing along with the rest of my back.

Try wide grip pull downs, and pull ups - possibly try pre-exhausting surrounding muscle groups (delts, middle back etc) first as well - that might work for you too.. some may argue it's pointless doing that, and I can see why too...

Wide grip pull ups can be difficult for some people, even though their middle backs are quite developed, but just stick with it and you should make some gains - my lats have definately widened since making a concerted effort to do wide grip pull ups.

Remember that when you do some back exercises your biceps get a workout as well.. such with wide grip pull downs. If you train back and bi's on the same day, make sure you do ur back first. (but people might argue with that as well...) - Try it around the other way, everyones different.

I'm quite built in the arms and upper back, so these muscles are probably quite dominant when I try to isolate lats - you may have the same trouble.

Lats are a bugger eh.. if you don't have width, it makes you look heaps smaller!

Fatal Error
11-27-2001, 06:08 PM
all the exercises u mentioned are machines. Any free weight exercises you can do? No actually, don't answer...deadlifts and bent over rows, dumbell rows, military press (wide grip) and upright rows.

Buff_Daddy
11-27-2001, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by badbart
My lats are not as big as the rest of my body. My back work out is the following.

My other body parts are trained with the same amount of sets and reps and it is working well except for my lats. Itrain 1 body part a week and eat 3000 to 3500 calories a day.

ok, there may be a number of solutions... firstly, many people find 10 + reps to be more beneficial for the back than low reps ... for example, try 10 reps for pulldowns... secondly, switch pulldowns for wide grip chinups, these will do wonders for back width and size... if you cant manage 10 reps on a bar yet, then use the assisted chinups machine.

Next, use free weights for rows... for example, swap machine rows for bent over barbell rows (another great exercise) or one arm dumbell rows.

Also, experiment with the grip too, for instance , with lat pulldowns you can do wide grip, narrow, or reverse grip (pulling 'inwards').. same goes for chinups.

Nocean
11-27-2001, 11:49 PM
CHINS!!

I can't believe no one has mentioned pull/chin-ups. They're my favorite back exercise.

Fresch
11-28-2001, 02:46 AM
Hmm, I think this is a rerun of a previous post, however....

Lats as the things which run from your arms to your pelvis are best done by close grip pulldowns.

Lats as the things which run across your shoulder blades are best done by wide grip pulldowns.

Of course, the same variation in chin-ups may also be used.

Variations on rows and front flyes will also have similar effects. That's just to name a few!

John G
11-28-2001, 04:58 PM
Read this:

teenbodybuilding.com/john10.htm

cramron
11-28-2001, 05:42 PM
the gym owner taught me about this way to do pulldowns. get the bar that looks like this...... 0--------0 take it and fall back about 15 degrees straighten your back, dont arch it, pull the bar slowly to your chin, dont let it hit your chin and bring the bar straight under chin and to the neck and squeeze your scalpula bones together as hard as possible at the bottom. dont pull the bar to your chest pull it to your neck and make sure u squeeze them so tight together, my back was sore for a week doing this variation try it it works

badbart
11-28-2001, 06:25 PM
Thanks Guys

Logo
11-28-2001, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Nocean
CHINS!!

I can't believe no one has mentioned pull/chin-ups. They're my favorite back exercise.

Actually I mentioned it in my first reply and several others did after me. ;)

Richie
11-30-2001, 05:20 AM
the best my back ever looked was when i was doing chins,bentover rows and t-bar rows and every second workout i'd start the routine with deadlifts. chins bother my shoulder now so i do straight arm pulldowns superset with wide grip pulldowns (a tip i picked up from Big Cat) hits right up high on the outer lats.Richie

Andrew8
11-30-2001, 01:50 PM
my traps are always sore after my back workout. I train my traps in my shoulder workout usually eventhough they may be slightly sore. Is this overtraining?

tank
12-02-2001, 10:47 PM
your rep/set schem looks pretty good, i would try replacing machine rows with bent over rows and maybe pulldowns with chins. Machine exercises are not as effective as free weight exercises for muscle stimulation because the machine balances the weight for you therefor recruiting less muscle fibres and stabilizers to lift the weight

JeRmS
12-05-2001, 08:16 AM
Okay, I am an ectormph but have a great back......

Pulldowns SUCK.....do weighted chinups instead...i started off only being able to do 2 , but now i strap 25 pounds on and do sets of 8.

machine rows SUCK too......do barbell bent rows instead...

use free weights instead of machines.

i also do deadlifts to start off my back routine.

Fudog1138
12-05-2001, 11:25 AM
RickyNZ

You had mentioned that you didn't feel much benefit from one arm rows. I never felt much from them either. I've only been lifting for around eight months and made gains in all area's except my back. A few weeks ago I started my back workout with pull ups (3 sets weighted), Seated rows, wide-grip pulldowns and finish with 1 arm rows. 5 sets for all excercises between 6-10 rep range. Now I feel it when I do one arm rows.

Right side is getting quite a bit bigger then the left though. Suggestions anyone?
Thanks,

Beast
12-06-2001, 07:11 PM
WIDE grip Pull Ups
Bent Over Barbell Row

daquietman
12-17-2001, 03:32 PM
jeRmS - could you tell me how you increased your reps on the chin ups exercise from 2 reps to weighted chins???? i can hardly only do one rep on chinups - no more. i always considered my back strong but i really need to increase my lat strength i guess. please can you tell me how you progressed on chinups . thank you

JayHeich
12-17-2001, 05:09 PM
id say you need to do more sets + more exercise.... lats arnt very small.... you need more exercises... Id recommend going to your local library or something and reading Arnolds Ency. of Modern BB.

He has some pretty good information on the lats (not to mention all the other body parts) and weak point training.

JayHeich
12-17-2001, 05:10 PM
also it was already mentioned but try to do chins and vary your grip.

If they are to hard for you, what Ive heard to do as many reps as you can at a time till you reach 50 ... or osmething like that =)

Levrone2000
12-17-2001, 05:32 PM
read my post under :my fawkin lats" i posts some details on what exercises are good and the parts they help develope

peterb
12-17-2001, 05:39 PM
chins, chins, chins
also
did i mention chins

SlimBrute
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
PULL-UPS PULL-UPS PULL-UPS (or CHIN-UPS CHIN-UPS CHIN-UPS)!!!

LatinoMusculito
11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
OK. Everybody needs to STOP.

OP, all these exercises people are listing are of no consequence to the development of your lats if you don't know how to pull right. The exercises themselves are ways in which you can hit your back, but the problem is that your fundamentals are off.

The first thing you need to do it:

Learn how to pull with your back/lats. Not your arms.

It took me years to figure this out.

This is how I was able to *connect* with my lats. Mind muscle connection (form) + 8-12 rep range should get things rolling for you.

Step 1 - When grabbing the bar/handle:

- Do not grab/ 'white knuckle' the bar handle.
- You must use your four fingers like hooks, and monkey grip. (thumb on the same side as other fingers, not a must if you have good mental focus)

Step 2 - Connecting with your lats, and pulling with your back.

- Use a close grip v-handle bar like so: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBCloseGripPulldown.html

- The point is NOT the pull with your biceps.
- Notice on the top of the movement, the fellows lats are stretched.
- DO what he is doing at the top of the movement, close your eyes, and feel the stretch of your lats.
- Now, you must work off of that 'stretched-lat-feeling', and begin to pull down.
- Pull down/back with your elbows / tris (not literally with your tris but to help you visualize)
- At the bottom of the movement, squeeze your scapulae together.
-Start with light weight.

After your create this mind muscle connection, you can apply it to any back movement.

The stretch and squeeze are both key.

Have fun!

N4th4n
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
3 sets of 5 reps IMO is not going to "grow" anything.

Try 3 sets of 4 or 5 different back exercises for a total of 12 to 15 sets of 10 reps.

It is for beginners.

Anyway, sound advice in this thread.

Adamisseyegh
10-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I think the only reason why members here do not get benefits from one armed rows is more to do with lacking technique and form. best body part is my lats and i would not have them without one armed rows. i have also switched to close grip pull down from wide grip and it is making a difference. It is all about the technique, if you can not pull with with your lats then you will be working other muscles.

Adamisseyegh
10-30-2010, 10:01 AM
OK. Everybody needs to STOP.

OP, all these exercises people are listing are of no consequence to the development of your lats if you don't know how to pull right. The exercises themselves are ways in which you can hit your back, but the problem is that your fundamentals are off.

The first thing you need to do it:

Learn how to pull with your back/lats. Not your arms.

It took me years to figure this out.

This is how I was able to *connect* with my lats. Mind muscle connection (form) + 8-12 rep range should get things rolling for you.

Step 1 - When grabbing the bar/handle:

- Do not grab/ 'white knuckle' the bar handle.
- You must use your four fingers like hooks, and monkey grip. (thumb on the same side as other fingers, not a must if you have good mental focus)

Step 2 - Connecting with your lats, and pulling with your back.

- Use a close grip v-handle bar like so: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/LatissimusDorsi/CBCloseGripPulldown.html

- The point is NOT the pull with your biceps.
- Notice on the top of the movement, the fellows lats are stretched.
- DO what he is doing at the top of the movement, close your eyes, and feel the stretch of your lats.
- Now, you must work off of that 'stretched-lat-feeling', and begin to pull down.
- Pull down/back with your elbows / tris (not literally with your tris but to help you visualize)
- At the bottom of the movement, squeeze your scapulae together.
-Start with light weight.

After your create this mind muscle connection, you can apply it to any back movement.

The stretch and squeeze are both key.

Have fun!

this!!!!

shaneee
10-30-2010, 10:37 AM

do pullups instead of pulldowns..or even chin ups, hammer grips etc..about 4x10
then ditch the machine rows for yates rows 4x8-10 or so
then add another pulldown or another row depending on what you need to work on, width or thickness
also on deadlifts if you're going 5 reps or under then you need more than 3 sets..do 5x5

Quadzillaa
02-17-2011, 03:24 PM
sorry if already posted but... lat pull downs :) its in the name

MWheatley
02-17-2011, 03:29 PM
Moar Volume!

iJarhead
02-17-2011, 03:34 PM

Wat.
did no one else notice this?

alilinika
02-17-2011, 03:37 PM
heavy barbell rows and various pull ups brah....t bar rows are great as well...machine are crap...i dont even do lat pulldowns thats like a substitue to pull ups..wait wtf is up with training one bodypart a week

rdrb
02-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Weighted pullups, heavy lat pulldowns, rack pulls, etc. are all great lat exercises and should get them growing pretty quickly. I recommend straps on lat pulldowns!

biliff
02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
How much do you weigh? If you can do pull-ups, they're the #1 back exercise.

Deadlifts are second, but they probably don't do much for your lats.

BB bent over rows are third.

With those 3, you can have a monster back.

HawkLifter55
02-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Wat.
did no one else notice this?

Whats wrong with 1 body part a week? Some people prefer that....

pkahnman
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Barbell rows phuckin kill my lats

mbinda
02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I have the same problem with my lats. Really wide grip is the way to go for Lats.. close grip exercises that keep your arms close in to ur body primarily work the inner middle and upper back.

Remember that when you do some back exercises your biceps get a workout as well.. such with wide grip pull downs.
!

^Sorry but I have to disagree here. A really wide grip will hit more of the upper back like the rhomboids and teres muscles as opposed to the lats. I think a shoulder width grip or just slightly wider is the way to go. I think it is much more difficult to get a good contraction in your lats with a super wide grip. Also, the wider the grip the less the biceps are involved so wide grip pulldowns do not stress the bis much at all.

physcult
02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I suppose if you cant up the weight, up the volume, either the reps or the sets, or first the sets, then the reps. When you have done that, and no longer feel any gains, up the frequency.

When you feel you are no longer gaining, take some time out or de-load, then decrease the frequency and/or decrease the volume, either reps or sets or both, and see if you can now increase the weight. Repeat over and over for years and years

Slackadjuster
02-17-2011, 05:13 PM
^Sorry but I have to disagree here. A really wide grip will hit more of the upper back like the rhomboids and teres muscles as opposed to the lats. I think a shoulder width grip or just slightly wider is the way to go. I think it is much more difficult to get a good contraction in your lats with a super wide grip. Also, the wider the grip the less the biceps are involved so wide grip pulldowns do not stress the bis much at all.
A wide grip will also prevent a full stretch at the end of the pull. The ideal position for me is shoulder width and closer.

Lanjeer
06-15-2013, 02:00 AM
You coukd always start posing. Even if you arent going for a competition is excellent. Posing allows you to learn how to contact all your muscles. Lats are a huge muscle group but like many have said you have to learn to pull with your lats not your arms. So if you can learn to really and I mean really flex your lats doesn't it make sense that you would be able to contract your lats during your exercise which really targetd them. I guarantee most people who arent getting a lot of mass in there lats can't flex there lats comfortably. Say Someone asks you to flex your bis. You'd be all over that. Now your lats. Learn to communicate with your muscle s and I guarantee your results will increase substantially. Just something I thought id share

blueys1086
09-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I was assaulted almost 3 years ago and due to the assault, I've had lat issues ever since. Any ways to build up my lats and traps without going balls the wall and failing miserably at pull ups?

schneppy07
09-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Try barbell rows, lat pulldown and deadlifts together

type8291
09-04-2013, 05:25 AM
CHINS!!

Because people still think wide grip is better for lats

FierceStrength
09-04-2013, 05:36 AM
sorry if already posted but... lat pull downs :) its in the name

no, dont do lat pull downs. do wide grip pullups and even hammer grip pull ups, bent over rows, and dumbell rows. stick to the big compound movements and forget the damn machine rowa and pull downs dude

napa1m
09-04-2013, 05:45 AM

No wonder you cant grow your lats. You re only doing 5 reps per set

So here you go:

Firstly your back is a very big muscle group. That means your lats can really handle a beating. Do a lot of volume for them. 3 exercises simply won`t do it. Go for 4-6 exercises

Second: Rep-range. Except for deadlifts go for 10-12 reps and not 5. This will create more time under tension, brake down more muscle & stimulate more growth in the lats

Third: Focus on your form. Be sure to pull with your lats, no exessive swinging, let your lats do all the work and remember to squeeze at the bottom during. Full strech at the top, squeeze at the bottom

A more hypertophy-sepcific routine whould be:

1-Pull ups wide grip: 2 sets to failure
2-Lat pulldowns reverse grip: 3 sets x 10-12
3-Barbell rows: 3 sets x 8-10
4-Cable rows: 3 sets x 12-15
5-Deadlifts: 3 sets x 5

Nosepull
09-04-2013, 06:00 AM
did the OP get bigger lats in the 12 years since this was originally posted? I need to know!

FreddieMercury1
09-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Deadlift is an exerice to your legs,

bruceaaron
06-26-2014, 12:51 PM
chin ups won't do **** for your lats tho.

your rep/set schem looks pretty good, i would try replacing machine rows with bent over rows and maybe pulldowns with chins. Machine exercises are not as effective as free weight exercises for muscle stimulation because the machine balances the weight for you therefor recruiting less muscle fibres and stabilizers to lift the weight

awbasa
06-26-2014, 03:58 PM
This is EASY. Forget what everyone else is saying. Lots and lots of pullups

kanis999
06-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Do 100 complete back routines over the course of 2 years involving pullups, barbell rows, and deadlifts. Squats and deadlifts both develop your lats, btw.