Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14

DieselWeasel
08-08-2005, 09:38 AM
lol stop it guys, Diesel Dubs is getting sensitive. jk

dont you work out anymore bro? You havent had one up in a few days

I don't lift every single day, bro.

ottorotciv
08-08-2005, 09:57 AM
"I admit that it wasn't a completely smooth pull but I think you're exaggerating the amount of hitching that was done in that video. There actually was not much of it."

Here you go again. You say you take constructive criticism, but here you have a very experienced and strong lifter, trying to give you advice because he wants to see you improve and not kill yourself, and you tell him HE'S wrong!!!

The amount of hitching and foot wiggling and stalling would've gotten that lift red-lighted a dozen times over. It wasn't just a "not completely smooth pull" it was a completely formless pull.

When deadlifting, you are not allowed to move your feet. Your's move all over the place. You're not allowed to hitch the bar. You hitch it badly, and repeatedly.

You completely stiff leg the weight from 10 inches off the floor and YOU ARE GOING TO HURT YOURSELF DOING THAT! The reason you stall so much at the lockout is becuase by the time you get there you've completely exhausted your erector spinae and have nothing left to straighten out with. If you used more legs at the bottom, and less lower back, you'd have something left at the top.

Also, you're idea to simply hit a 5 lb PR every week in the deadlift is never going to work. You can't just max out week in and week out, without working on any form, and hope to continue making gains. At best you'll be overtrained (if not injured) and your max lift will more than likely go DOWN, not UP. Do some triples for a few weeks working up to 90% of your max. FOCUS ON FORM, NOT WEIGHT! Maybe then you'll make some gains.

BRADP3
08-08-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't lift every single day, bro.
Maybe you shoudl... ;)

Celticfan
08-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Diesel these people are tying to help you, stop getting super defensive and attacking credibility.

The only person you ain't attacking is bigprop... as you are scared of him.

GmoneyJakee
08-08-2005, 10:38 AM
the only reason he doesnt say anything to bigprop is because he doesnt wanna get baned and yea i do honestly think hes scared of him. this is why he got baned from fortifiediron cause he was startin **** with everyone that gave him some advice and now i hear they have a thread made out just for him and his **** form with all his lifts. i must say u are popular DW...but not in a good way. in a way for being a ****in dickhead 24 7 and other people notice that on other forums and that is why ur prob one of the most hated guys out there on any forum right now.

GmoneyJakee
08-08-2005, 10:47 AM
i dont know where it is offhand i was shown it sometime ago. and FI ****s up my comp so i cant really get on it that much.

gripguru316
08-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Stick to arm wrestling DW. Your pretty good at it. Once upon a time, I trained for strongman. I found a better calling.

DieselWeasel
08-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Diesel these people are tying to help you, stop getting super defensive and attacking credibility.

The only person you ain't attacking is bigprop... as you are scared of him.

I'm scared of nobody. I hold my tongue when replying to bpp because he is a mod who already temporarily banned me for 4 days.

That's interesting coming from you after you gave me positive rep points in which you stated, "****ing strong deadlift man"

gripguru316: I won't limit myself to only armwrestling.

GmoneyJakee: Stop fanning the flames.

BRADP3: I assume you're joking because of the wink that accompanied your reply.

Celticfan
08-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm scared of nobody. I hold my tongue when replying to bpp because he is a mod who already temporarily banned me for 4 days.

That's interesting coming from you after you gave me positive rep points in which you stated, "****ing strong deadlift man"

gripguru316: I won't limit myself to only armwrestling.

GmoneyJakee: Stop fanning the flames.

BRADP3: I assume you're joking because of the wink that accompanied your reply.

I am not denying it. Guys his form might be a bit loose but to deadlift what he is lifting takes power and strength.

I still think u could fix ur form and lift the same.

DieselWeasel
08-08-2005, 06:50 PM
08/08/05 - Core

Kettlebell Two-Hands Anyhow (new with KBs)
53+44x1
53+44x1
62+44x1
62+44x1
62+53x1
62+53x1
62+53x1
62+53x1
video: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=max_anyhow_62_53

- I also did other kettlebell exercises, like the around-the-world pass and the under-the-leg pass.

Here is a screenshot:

sword chucks
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
what the hell... lol, the exercise looks so random, you just pick up one then pick up another :p

how come u go lighter on one arm, wont that make a imbalance?

DieselWeasel
08-08-2005, 07:26 PM
what the hell... lol, the exercise looks so random, you just pick up one then pick up another :p

how come u go lighter on one arm, wont that make a imbalance?

You're supposed to use two different weights, the second being lighter than the first.

sword chucks
08-08-2005, 08:43 PM
You're supposed to use two different weights, the second being lighter than the first.

so why dont u start with different arms each set or something

also i think you need to use regular squat form and not fall forward so much like you did in that vid but idk. seems to me like that part should be an overhead squat. (u probably know this :D)

DieselWeasel
08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
so why dont u start with different arms each set or something

also i think you need to use regular squat form and not fall forward so much like you did in that vid but idk. seems to me like that part should be an overhead squat. (u probably know this :D)

In the past, I switched arms from set to set but when I tried to switch arms today, my right forearm was bothering me too much.

When did I fall forward in that vid?

sword chucks
08-08-2005, 09:29 PM
In the past, I switched arms from set to set but when I tried to switch arms today, my right forearm was bothering me too much.

When did I fall forward in that vid?

i gotcha

and i dont know anything about the lift so forget what i said. I thought you leaned forward to much for picking up the other kettel thing. But i could be wrong.

DieselWeasel
08-08-2005, 10:00 PM
i gotcha

and i dont know anything about the lift so forget what i said. I thought you leaned forward to much for picking up the other kettel thing. But i could be wrong.

No, that is how it's supposed to be done.

sword chucks
08-09-2005, 10:14 AM
No, that is how it's supposed to be done.

Alright Thanks For The Responses Diaesel Weasil.

BPP
08-09-2005, 01:56 PM
your squat would still be that low if you were maxing out all the time

same concept as deadlifts, its not about maxing every time

AJ010
08-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Otto- Not to disagree with your post totally, but I do have a comment about the squat and deadlift 1rms being pretty close. Some guys, if they don't hitch,will stillpull 50-75lbs more than they squat naturally, because they're built to pull, usually with long legs(harder for squatting) and longer arms(harder for benching).

BRADP3
08-09-2005, 02:49 PM
All the flaming makes this journal unenjoyable to visit

BPP
08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
cleaned...again

Radok
08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
You should be a janitor, at least they get paid to clean.

BPP
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
once again im tired of dealing with this

obviously DW wont listen to anyone so whats the point

if you come here jsut to flame ill ban you on the spot
dont wanna have to deal with this anymore

DW for the 56th time, quit responding to the trolls

DieselWeasel
08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
08/09/05 - Crush Grip

Right Hand
CoC #2 x 9 full and 10th was parallel

Left Hand
CoC #1 x 12 full and 13th was parallel

- I warmed up with the Trainer and #1 for the right hand and the Trainer for the left hand.

- There was only slight pain in my right forearm after the session.

Here is a new pic from about an hour ago, shortly before I used the grippers:

sword chucks
08-10-2005, 11:01 AM
good job, youre becoming a PR machine

DieselWeasel
08-10-2005, 12:06 PM
good job, youre becoming a PR machine

Thanks.

gripguru316
08-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Nice job with the kettle bells.

DieselWeasel
08-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Nice job with the kettle bells.

Thanks. I'm going to the doctor on August 16th to get my right arm examined. I need to find out what exactly is wrong with it.

AJ010
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Like I told you on AIM, looked easy for you.

Where is the pain exactly anyways?

DieselWeasel
08-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Like I told you on AIM, looked easy for you.

Where is the pain exactly anyways?

It's in the upper forearm, near the elbow. It only hurts when I do certain lifts or exercises, not just for no reason. So at least it's not constant pain, but I still need it to go away.

sword chucks
08-11-2005, 09:33 PM
those kettel ball things are real cute

DieselWeasel
08-11-2005, 09:42 PM
those kettel ball things are real cute

They're called kettlebells and how are they cute?

AJ010
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
They're called kettlebells and how are they cute?

They look like giant testicles with handles. Apparently Sword Chucks find those cute...he told me all about how he's so jealous of your kettlebells.

:D

j/k guys

DieselWeasel
08-11-2005, 10:13 PM
They look like giant testicles with handles. Apparently Sword Chucks find those cute...he told me all about how he's so jealous of your kettlebells.

j/k guys

Sicko. ;)

sword chucks
08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
haha

DieselWeasel
08-12-2005, 05:49 PM
This is from earlier today:
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=max_farmer_onearm_200

gripguru316
08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
The doctor won't help. Get some ibuprofin and some ice, this is your ticket to your recovery. Also, don't pull!!! You have a tendon injury. Be thankful that you only have pain with active movement. Continuous pain is a sign of a bad tendon injury. You are going through the exact same thing I did. The one handed farmers are a superb core workout!

Radok
08-12-2005, 09:10 PM
http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.fortifiediron.net/invision/index.php?showtopic=25447&st=50

Dude, if your up to the challenge, show them what your made of! It would kick @$$ if you got top ten, when they all look down on you so bad... That there aren't even ten there that could beat you.

J-unit
08-12-2005, 10:25 PM
You look astonishingly handsome man.

J-unit
08-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Like I posted earlier, when I return to the weight room at the end of this month or the beginning of next month, this is going to be my deadlift plan:

week 1: 315x20
week 2: 405 to failure (hopefully at least 6 reps)
week 3: 460x1
week 4: 465x1
etc. until 500x1.

so what happens when or if you miss the max one week? So say you miss 470, will you still go for 475 the next week?

How ironic the song I'm listening to is called Burnout by Green Day.

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 08:11 PM
The doctor won't help. Get some ibuprofin and some ice, this is your ticket to your recovery. Also, don't pull!!! You have a tendon injury. Be thankful that you only have pain with active movement. Continuous pain is a sign of a bad tendon injury. You are going through the exact same thing I did. The one handed farmers are a superb core workout!

I'm going to the doctor anyway, just in case it's worse than it looks/feels.

Thanks for the ibuprofin/ice advice.

Yeah, I'm definitely feeling soreness in my spinal erectors and hip flexors more than anything else because of the one-hand farmer's walks.

Radok: Dude, screw them. They can talk all the **** that they want. It's not going to bother me. Anyway, I can't do regular deadlifts until the college weight room re-opens. Plus, I doubt I would get higher than 6 reps with 405 which is not enough for the top 10.

J-unit: Astonishingly handsome? I've been told that I'm sexy, so that's nothing new. :D

so what happens when or if you miss the max one week? So say you miss 470, will you still go for 475 the next week?

If I miss the max, I will -not- try a heavier weight, the week after. Did I ever do that in the past? Why would I start now?

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 08:24 PM
08/12/05 - Strongman

These walks were done unbelted because I forgot to wear my lifting belt. :o

One-Arm Farmer's Walk (new)
105 x 50 feet*
200 x undetermined**
video: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=max_farmer_onearm_200

* 50 feet with left hand and 50 with right

** The distance traveled with the left hand was 7.5 feet less than the distance with the right. The total distance with each hand was unknown.

- Today (August 13th), I played a game of soccer with a friend and some other guys at a local field.

AJ010
08-13-2005, 09:04 PM
If I miss the max, I will -not- try a heavier weight, the week after. Did I ever do that in the past? Why would I start now?

Did you ever miss a deadlift max? lol......

Good **** with the farmers boiiiii

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Did you ever miss a deadlift max? lol......

Good **** with the farmers boiiiii

Actually, I don't think I ever did miss a deadlift max. :eek:

Well, regardless, that **** is a no-go.

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Damn. I forgot to wear my lifting belt when I did the one-arm farmer's walks, yesterday.

That's OK. I'll wear it next time, regardless of the type of farmer's walk.

AJ010
08-13-2005, 10:15 PM
What's it matter anyways?

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 10:17 PM
What's it matter anyways?

I'm taking it into account because I used a belt when I did the farmer's walk with 190 per hand.

AJ010
08-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm taking it into account because I used a belt when I did the farmer's walk with 190 per hand.

Yeah but who gives a ****? Wouldn't doing these unbelted work on your core strength a lot more too?

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah but who gives a ****? Wouldn't doing these unbelted work on your core strength a lot more too?

Yeah, but I probably would've been able to walk a farther distance with each hand if I wore a belt.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot from the farmer vid:

AJ010
08-13-2005, 10:51 PM
It's your call bro. I don't know if itd make such a big difference, but give it a shot.

DieselWeasel
08-13-2005, 11:17 PM
It's your call bro. I don't know if itd make such a big difference, but give it a shot.

I'm doing event training like how I would compete. In competition, I would use a belt when doing the farmer's walk.

BTW, I'm debating whether to compete in the Paxton Power Gym Strongman Contest in Paxton, MA or the NJ's Strongest Man in East Rutherford, NJ which are one day apart from each other. I obviously can't do both because either one will totally exhaust my body.

P0W3RLIFT3R87
08-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm doing event training like how I would compete. In competition, I would use a belt when doing the farmer's walk.

BTW, I'm debating whether to compete in the Paxton Power Gym Strongman Contest in Paxton, MA or the NJ's Strongest Man in East Rutherford, NJ which are one day apart from each other. I obviously can't do both because either one will totally exhaust my body.
Nice farmer's walk DW. Just pick whichever contest that you think you would like the events more and suits what you can train for. I don't know what the prizes are or if that makes a difference to you or not.

DieselWeasel
08-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Nice farmer's walk DW. Just pick whichever contest that you think you would like the events more and suits what you can train for. I don't know what the prizes are or if that makes a difference to you or not.

I know all of the details for the Paxton contest but not NJ's Strongest Man because I wasn't able to find the website for it. I know when and where that one is being held, but not the events and poundage used.

P0W3RLIFT3R87
08-14-2005, 12:03 PM
I know all of the details for the Paxton contest but not NJ's Strongest Man because I wasn't able to find the website for it. I know when and where that one is being held, but not the events and poundage used.
Here's the info. for the New Jersey contest from the Anvil:

MHP-NEW JERSEY'S STRONGEST MAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here what it looks like
Lightweight and Heavy weight teens and open men

WEIGHT CLASSES: teen <185 over , Men <231 and over

EVENTS:
1. axle clean and press each rep 160/180, and 200/225 60 secs
2. FW drag race for 100ft no drops 180/200 and 220/245
3. Firetruck harness pull exact specs TBD no water/with water for 50 feet
4. Tire medley 400/550/650 and 550/750/900 approximately 3 flips each
5. 5 stones 180, 225, 275, 300, 330 all to a 48” box same for all classes

MHP is the lead sponsor.
APT wrist wraps are also sponsoring it
I'm still working of several more.
Prizes TBD....I know last year some guys wanted more than just supp prize packs...so I will have prizes or money for the winners.
If you notice, this contest is slightly lighter than last year overall. I want to get more guys involved and more exposure here in NJ.
Lastly, I am working on something special for the contest.
I'm trying to get a powerlifting demo put on. More info to follow

DieselWeasel
08-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. Do you have the website URL?

BTW, I found another contest that I could enter instead of those two: Strongest Man in Pennsylvania, October 1st.

EDIT: The PA contest is good because I can train for more of the events compared to the other two and there is a Novice class also. BUT it's a lot farther from me than the others, 7 hours or 400 miles by car.

P0W3RLIFT3R87
08-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. Do you have the website URL?

Yeah, it's the NASS forum. All of the contests they host will be talked about on there and there's more info. closer to contest time.- http://p207.ezboard.com/ftheanvil88051frm1

BTW, I found another contest that I could enter instead of those two: Strongest Man in Pennsylvania, October 1st.

EDIT: The PA contest is good because I can train for more of the events compared to the other two and there is a Novice class also. BUT it's a lot farther from me than the others, 7 hours or 400 miles by car.

Depends if you have the money and time to travel there. If you do, then it's probably a good idea.

DieselWeasel
08-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Yeah, it's the NASS forum. All of the contests they host will be talked about on there and there's more info. closer to contest time.- http://p207.ezboard.com/ftheanvil88051frm1

Depends if you have the money and time to travel there. If you do, then it's probably a good idea.

Thanks for the forum link. :)

Jolio: I see that you're up to your old tricks again, posting my vids on bodyrecomp. Why did you neglect to post the 455 deadlift vid though?

DieselWeasel
08-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Here is a regular pic from last night, while I was out drinking with a few friends. It's one of the only pics that you'll see me smiling. :D

Radok
08-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Your leaning like crazy, how much had you drank? You had that really relaxed smile, too.

DieselWeasel
08-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Your leaning like crazy, how much had you drank? You had that really relaxed smile, too.

I had a lot to drink, that night. That's why I looked happy and leaning to one side. :D

But, the next day I got a fever. I went to the doctor, earlier today and it looks and feels like I have strep throat. My throat hurts like a bitch when i swallow my saliva or eat solid food. :(

BRADP3
08-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I had a lot to drink, that night. That's why I looked happy and leaning to one side. :D

But, the next day I got a fever. I went to the doctor, earlier today and it looks and feels like I have strep throat. My throat hurts like a bitch when i swallow my saliva or eat solid food. :(
Hey welcome to brads world, althought I think i have mono, not strep

DieselWeasel
08-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey welcome to brads world, althought I think i have mono, not strep

I never had mono but strep is a real bitch. Damn sickness. :mad:

SDFlip
08-19-2005, 04:43 AM
at least you guys didn't have valley fever like me.

DieselWeasel
08-19-2005, 05:56 AM
at least you guys didn't have valley fever like me.

Are you a valley girl? ;)

SDFlip
08-19-2005, 06:33 AM
I have strep throat. My throat hurts like a bitch when i swallow my saliva or eat solid food. :(

Are you a valley girl? ;)

no, but are you a throat girl......?

lol, lame attempt at a joke! :)

DieselWeasel
08-19-2005, 07:01 AM
no, but are you a throat girl......?

lol, lame attempt at a joke! :)

You're right about it being lame. :D

SDFlip
08-20-2005, 02:48 AM
You're right about it being lame. :D

you feeling better yet?

DieselWeasel
08-20-2005, 09:42 AM
you feeling better yet?

Yeah. I woke up today and my throat feels better. It still hurts when I swallow, but the pain isn't as severe.

BRADP3
08-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Haha, DW swallows ;)...........Ive sunk to a new level

DieselWeasel
08-20-2005, 04:10 PM
Haha, DW swallows ;)...........Ive sunk to a new level

Bastard! :o :D

DieselWeasel
08-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Here is a vid from earlier today:
http://media.putfile.com/max_farmer_200_45

AJ010
08-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Do you workout anymore? :D

DieselWeasel
08-22-2005, 12:01 PM
08/21/05 - Strongman

I still had strep throat when I did these farmer's walks.

Farmer's Walk
105 per hand x 50 feet
155 per hand x 50 feet
200 per hand x 45 feet*
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_farmer_200_45

* The total distance traveled was 45 feet with one drop about halfway into it. I lost my balance. :o

DieselWeasel
08-24-2005, 04:29 PM
**** yeah! I finally lifted the sumbitch 32.5lb York blob with my right hand! :cool:

AJ010
08-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Get a video of that bro!!

DieselWeasel
08-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Get a video of that bro!!

I want to be able to do it with ease first.

DieselWeasel
08-25-2005, 07:44 PM
08/25/05 - Kettlebells

- I did various clean and presses, snatches and anyhows with my 44, 53 and 62lb kettlebells.

- After that, I did a couple of sprints with a friend.

AJ010
08-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Talk more about these sprints bro.

DieselWeasel
08-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Talk more about these sprints bro.

It was just me and Stacey. She wanted to do some cardio/ab work and I decided to race her a couple of times. They were short sprints, basically where I do the farmer's walks. The first sprint was one way and the second was there and back. I don't know the distance of each or my times.

AJ010
08-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Sounds fun man!!

I bet she crushed you!!!! :D

j/k

DieselWeasel
08-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Sounds fun man!!

I bet she crushed you!!!! :D

j/k

Yeah, I was no match for her speed! ;)

DieselWeasel
08-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Damn it. I thought that I was healthy again and now my right ear is killing me. It's probably an ear infection. :mad:

Celticfan
08-28-2005, 08:50 AM
what sort of program u on. is your goal strength or power?

what sort of exercies. rep ranges etc u do

DieselWeasel
08-28-2005, 09:01 AM
what sort of program u on. is your goal strength or power?

what sort of exercies. rep ranges etc u do

My program is a mix of both dinosaur training and strongman.

The exercises that I do are the deadlift, squat, bench press, log press, viking press, farmer's walk, various grip work, zercher deadlift, dips, chins, barbell row, hammer curl and the occasional kettlebell drills.

I usually stick with low reps (1-4) except when I do 20 rep squats or if I'm training for a strongman event that relies on muscle endurance.

My current goal is to take first place in the Novice Lightweight division at the Strongest Man in Pennsylvania strongman contest on October 1st.

Celticfan
08-28-2005, 09:12 AM
i heard some people insulting your form on deadlift. I didnt think the form was that bad at all, except ur back cd be more less bent and in a fixed range of motion. easily fixed. u seem strong for ur weight. u train with 1-4 reps all the time? is this over 90% then?

DieselWeasel
08-28-2005, 09:14 AM
i heard some people insulting your form on deadlift. I didnt think the form was that bad at all, except ur back cd be more less bent and in a fixed range of motion. easily fixed. u seem strong for ur weight. u train with 1-4 reps all the time? is this over 90% then?

Yes. I would say it's over 90%, except when I do 20 rep squats and certain accessory work, like barbell rows and hammer curls. When I do those two exercises, sometimes I go as high as 5 or 6 reps in my working set.

Celticfan
08-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Yes. I would say it's over 90%, except when I do 20 rep squats and certain accessory work, like barbell rows and hammer curls. When I do those two exercises, sometimes I go as high as 5 or 6 reps in my working set.

i would periodize so your not in 90% for longer than 3 weeks. going over 90% all the time slows down strength gains.

Most gains in strength in general are usually made in 4-5 rep range, which is outside 90%.

but if it works for u sound

DieselWeasel
08-28-2005, 09:24 AM
i would periodize so your not in 90% for longer than 3 weeks. going over 90% all the time slows down strength gains.

Most gains in strength in general are usually made in 4-5 rep range, which is outside 90%.

but if it works for u sound

Yeah, it's been working for me. I've made great progress with all of the exercises that I listed. Plus, I even gained a few pounds of muscle too.

BigDerek
08-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Damn it. I thought that I was healthy again and now my right ear is killing me. It's probably an ear infection. :mad:

just getting over an ear infection myself, now its draining into my throat. feel better cuz I know it sucks

DieselWeasel
08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
just getting over an ear infection myself, now its draining into my throat. feel better cuz I know it sucks

Yeah, it started as strep throat and the strep appears to be gone, but now I have this ear ache in my right ear.

DieselWeasel
08-29-2005, 10:12 PM
08/29/05 - Pinch Grip

I tried timed holds with a block weight for the first time ever.

17.5lb Blob
Right Hand: 66 seconds
Left Hand: 52 seconds

EDIT: It was always strep throat, not an ear infection. I'm feeling better, but I still have pain in my throat.

DieselWeasel
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
08/31/05 - Card Tearing / Dynamic Tension

I bought the Charles Atlas introductory course (Dynamic Tension) from a local bookstore and it's definately like no other type of training that I ever did in the past.

Card Tearing
25 cards
45 cards (+2 cards)

Dynamic Tension
- rope pulls, deltoid flyes, squats, chair lifts, shrugs, power stretch, finger locks and dips on edge of bed*

* It's more like 'push-ups on edge of bed', but that's not what it's called in the book.

TNCEKM
08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
45 cards
Wow...time to update the sig!

DieselWeasel
08-31-2005, 07:33 PM
Wow...time to update the sig!

You beat me to it, bastard! ;)

ashnut
09-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi DW. Thanks for all the entertainment these past few months. I'm a big fan of yours :)

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi DW. Thanks for all the entertainment these past few months. I'm a big fan of yours :)

You're a big fan? Get a life; go outside and do something; get a hobby.

ashnut
09-01-2005, 03:51 PM
What do you mean? I have only posted three times on this forum (any forum for that matter).

You are widely known across the world from posting your videos, and I check them out whenever i hear that new ones are available. All in good fun, and i still have plenty of time to lift. What is my problem?

edit: Why on earth did you neg-rep me for joining in on your thread? Always thought you were a bit on the weird side, mentally speaking, but i appreciate the entertainment and your fortitude with all "the attacks" going on but that is not how i meant it.

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
What kind of entertainment could you possibly obtain from my videos? Please enlighten me.

ashnut
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
The same kind i get from Dorian's blood and guts.

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 04:02 PM
The same kind i get from Dorian's blood and guts.

Dorian Yates was six-time Mr. Olympia. I'm some schmuck from Queens. Don't bull**** me.

EDIT: I just saw your edited post. I apologize about the neg rep. I'll fix that later. It's just that it seems that most of the people here and on other boards only want to talk trash.

AJ010
09-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Dorian Yates was six-time Mr. Olympia. I'm some schmuck from Queens. Don't bull**** me.

lol Maybe he meant Dorian the ex-mod of this forum i dunno though, but i dont really care

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 04:05 PM
lol Maybe he meant Dorian the ex-mod of this forum i dunno though, but i dont really care

Good ol' Steel. :D

ashnut, read my last post; I edited it.

Celticfan
09-01-2005, 04:13 PM
do u train CoC's?

I have almost closed no2 after one weeks training. its hard tho

AJ010
09-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Good ol' Steel. :D

ashnut, read my last post; I edited it.

Haha whats up man how you been.

ashnut
09-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Regardless of how many sandows a person has, tenacity, persistency (trying to find the right word here - english is not my first language) and sheer intensity are deserving of kudos imho.

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Regardless of how many sandows a person has, tenacity, persistency (trying to find the right word here - english is not my first language) and sheer intensity are deserving of kudos imho.

That's true. I always give a damn good effort, whether it's grip, weights or whatever else.

Steel: I've been good. I started classes on Monday and my strep throat is almost completely gone.

Celticfan: I train with the CoC grippers occasionally. I posted my past couple of crush grip training sessions recently and I've been making progress, repping out the CoC #2 with my right hand and the CoC #1 with my left hand.

Celticfan
09-01-2005, 04:51 PM
wow great how long before u closed the coc no 2

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
wow great how long before u closed the coc no 2

I don't know for sure because I was trying to close the #2 while I was in Iraq in 2003. I didn't train as dilligently back then, when I was in the Army.

Celticfan
09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I don't know for sure because I was trying to close the #2 while I was in Iraq in 2003. I didn't train as dilligently back then, when I was in the Army.

how did u like iraq. meet any scotsmen? the black watch are there.

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 05:05 PM
how did u like iraq. meet any scotsmen? the black watch are there.

I was miserable while I was deployed, mainly because of the intense heat and the living conditions. Going out on missions basically every day didn't help matters either.

I very rarely saw anyone besides Americans and Iraqis over there. I saw a few British soldiers and maybe a couple others from Italy, I think.

Celticfan
09-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I was miserable while I was deployed, mainly because of the intense heat and the living conditions. Going out on missions basically every day didn't help matters either.

I very rarely saw anyone besides Americans and Iraqis over there. I saw a few British soldiers and maybe a couple others from Italy, I think.

sounds like a scene from platoon!

how where the conditions and the people?

did ur boses mess u abt as well.

also how did ur bosses talk to the british, did they like wave to each other etc.

and did u get any run ins wit terroists

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
sounds like a scene from platoon!

how where the conditions and the people?

did ur boses mess u abt as well.

also how did ur bosses talk to the british, did they like wave to each other etc.

and did u get any run ins wit terroists

It was usually boring but there were a few close calls, here and there. The majority of Iraqis were decent and not bad people.

My sergeants and officers didn't encounter enough British soldiers for me to see how they interacted with them.

Yeah, they ****ed with me a lot over there because I didn't have much rank while deployed and they didn't like me much anyway. They made me do a lot of human waste disposal and other FUN things. ;)

DieselWeasel
09-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I did some more Dynamic Tension exercises, tonight.

ashnut
09-03-2005, 07:03 PM
how can you fix a neg-rep?

on another note,
dont you ever do any bicep exercises? you've mentioned the odd hammer curls but you dont seem to do them very often. i was under the impression that bicep strength is important in strongman events(?).

DieselWeasel
09-03-2005, 09:47 PM
how can you fix a neg-rep?

on another note,
dont you ever do any bicep exercises? you've mentioned the odd hammer curls but you dont seem to do them very often. i was under the impression that bicep strength is important in strongman events(?).

I can fix a neg-rep by giving you postive rep points after spreading more rep around the board.

I stick to mainly hammer curls when I do pull work because I'm able to curl more weight compared to regular alternating dumbbell curls. Plus, doing the dumbbell hammer curl is assistance work for the log press event. The reason for this is that the log clean is similar to a hammer curl because of the neutral grip used with the implement.

DieselWeasel
09-04-2005, 06:11 PM
09/04/05 - Strongman

I decided to use the exact same weight and distance that will be used in the novice lightweight division at the Strongest Man in Pennsylvania contest to see where I stand with the farmer's walk event.

Farmer's Walk
105 each hand x 50 feet
140 each hand x 50 feet
180 each hand x 100 feet* (+50 feet)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_farmer_180_100

* The total distance traveled was a few inches shy of 100 feet at the second drop. The total time elapsed was 90 seconds from start to finish which is 30 seconds too long. There is a 60 second time limit at the contest.

- I also did a whole bunch of crunches to failure and then some twisting sit-ups. After that, I ended with 10 one-arm push-ups per arm.

DieselWeasel
09-05-2005, 05:13 PM
09/05/05 - Kettlebells

Turkish Get-Up
44 x 2 per arm
53 x 1 per arm
62 x 2 w/ right and 1 w/ left
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_getup_62

- I'm pretty confident that this was the first time that I did this exercise properly with all three kettlebells.

AJ010
09-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Turkish Get Ups are fun as hell! Do you find a difference in difficulty btwn kettlebells and dumbells?

DieselWeasel
09-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Turkish Get Ups are fun as hell! Do you find a difference in difficulty btwn kettlebells and dumbells?

I never tried the TGU with a dumbbell. I can only imagine the looks that I would get from the average "bench and curl" trainee in my campus weight room. However, that never stopped me in the past. ;)

DieselWeasel
09-07-2005, 09:46 PM
09/07/05 - Legs

Squat
135x6
185x4
225x3
275x1
315x1
345x1 (+7lbs)
365x0
365x1 (+27lbs)

Zercher Deadlift (floor)
135x1
185x1
245x1 (+20lbs)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_zercher_floor_245

Seated Calf Raise
50x8
90x8
150x10 (+5lbs)

Rane14
09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
09/07/05 - Legs

Squat
135x6
185x4
225x3
275x1
315x1
345x1 (+7lbs)
365x0
365x1 (+27lbs)

Zercher Deadlift (floor)
135x1
185x1
245x1 (+20lbs)

Seated Calf Raise
50x8
90x8
150x10 (+5lbs)

damn that dead lift was nuts, weasel, nice job

DieselWeasel
09-07-2005, 10:11 PM
damn that dead lift was nuts, weasel, nice job

Thanks. Besides my hamstrings, glutes and lower back, I really felt it in my abs. There was a lot of pressure there.

DieselWeasel
09-10-2005, 08:01 PM
09/09/05 - Push

My legs and glutes were sore during this workout.

Pin Press
115x6
135x4
160x2
185x0 <= only a partial :mad:
155x8 <= This was strange, considering that I couldn't do one full rep with 185, the set before this one.

- 6th pin in squat rack (an inch or two above my chest)

Power Clean
135x4
155x1
180x0 (3 failed attempts)

Double Underhand High Pull (new)
135x6
155x4
185x4

- I did this exercise after reading in a recent issue of MILO that it mimics the movement of a tire flip.

One-Arm Dumbbell Snatch
30x2
50x1
65x1
80x1
90x1* <= I think I did a 90lb one-arm swing in the past, but I never did a one-arm snatch with 90lbs.

* one rep with left arm and zero w/ right arm

- My right arm started hurting during the snatch sets and that was probably why I couldn't do the 90lb snatch with my right arm, only my left.

- I also did assorted hub pinch work with a 10lb plate. I wasn't able to break the 25lb plate from the floor. I did hub deadlifts with my middle finger and thumb; hub clean and presses with my index finger, middle finger and thumb; hub catches from hand to hand.

Rane14
09-11-2005, 10:34 AM
cool hub work there and overall.... good workout, weasel.

Danimal
09-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Pin Press
115x6
135x4
160x2
185x0 <= only a partial :mad:
155x8 <= This was strange, considering that I couldn't do one full rep with 185, the set before this one.

I don't think thats unusual. I have found that after a heavy attempt, a back off set of something you thought was heavy as a warmup is easy. Last squat day I worked up to 565x1, then did a back off of 405 and got 12 reps and it felt light. When I did 405 as a warmup, 2 reps felt heavy. Go figure. I think that it might prime you up for reps after you do some heavy work- the weight just feels that much lighter.

DieselWeasel
09-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't think thats unusual. I have found that after a heavy attempt, a back off set of something you thought was heavy as a warmup is easy. Last squat day I worked up to 565x1, then did a back off of 405 and got 12 reps and it felt light. When I did 405 as a warmup, 2 reps felt heavy. Go figure. I think that it might prime you up for reps after you do some heavy work- the weight just feels that much lighter.

That makes sense. Plus, that was the first time that I did any bench work since August 3rd.

Rane14: Thanks.

UPDATE
After the legs and push workouts, I had DOMS like crazy. My legs are -still- sore from Wednesday and I have soreness in my back, delts, lower arms and chest. That's what happens when the gym closes for one whole month.

Cricket_Fire
09-11-2005, 12:43 PM
What you're talking about is the same principle as wave loading.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=9438C50CDBCE70D4075E5B495E CFE26F.hydra?id=579577

DieselWeasel
09-11-2005, 01:14 PM
09/11/05 - Kettlebells

I did some dynamic ballistic training with my kettlebells instead of farmer's walks because my muscles were still too sore.

Kettlebell Toss and Catch (new)
44 x warmup
53 x warmup
62 x failure
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_tosscatch_62

Newbtime
09-11-2005, 01:21 PM
I did some dynamic ballistic training with my kettlebells instead of farmer's walks because my muscles were still too sore.
Eat.

DieselWeasel
09-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Eat.

That's -not- the universal solution! :)

"My knee hurts."

"EAT!"

AJ010
09-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Kickass squats, zerchers, and kettlebell work! Looks like fun!

I imagined something else though. I thought that you meant you threw that thing over your head, then tried to catch it and missed when you said "62 x failure". lmao :D

BigDerek
09-11-2005, 01:53 PM
09/07/05 - Legs

Squat
135x6
185x4
225x3
275x1
315x1
345x1 (+7lbs)
365x0
365x1 (+27lbs)

Zercher Deadlift (floor)
135x1
185x1
245x1 (+20lbs)

Seated Calf Raise
50x8
90x8
150x10 (+5lbs)

dude, love the squats, Q - Do you feel like thats a proper warmup for squats, i.e, the # of sets? I usually do like 8 sets before I hit my new PR. Do you think thats too much?

DieselWeasel
09-11-2005, 03:03 PM
dude, love the squats, Q - Do you feel like thats a proper warmup for squats, i.e, the # of sets? I usually do like 8 sets before I hit my new PR. Do you think thats too much?

The way I see it is that whatever allows me to hit that PR is fine with me. :)

Everyone is different. If you need more warmup sets, that's fine too. You can also experiment by trying less warmup sets and seeing how that goes. Find what works best for -your- body.

UnlimitedSteel: You silly bastard. :D

Newbtime
09-11-2005, 03:41 PM
My knee hurts

Eat.

DieselWeasel
09-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Eat.

I'm eating! :D

DieselWeasel
09-12-2005, 10:04 PM
09/12/05 - Pull

I did my last set of deadlifts with the same weight and time limit that will be used in the Strongest Man in PA contest.

Deadlift
135x6
225x4
325x10*
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_deadlift_325x10

* 60 second time limit

Barbell Row**
135x6
205x5
275x4

** These were done in the squat rack.

Dumbbell Hammer Curl
40s x 6
60s x 6
80s x 6

- I also did assorted hub and pinch work after the hammer curls.

AJ010
09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Kickass deadlifts dude! Form looked pretty darn good!

Rane14
09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
nice deads, weasel.

Porky
09-12-2005, 10:22 PM
ye well diesel i did 315x4 today so watch out u stinker :)

9cyclops9
09-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Form is MUCH better on those deads, DW. Big improvement. Just work on keeping your back straight, other than that it was good. That's a lot of reps with that weight! :D I'll be there soon!

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 01:00 PM
ye well diesel i did 315x4 today so watch out u stinker :)

UH OH! :eek: ;)

UnlimitedSteel: It looks like you were right about the haters. However, there are other boards where they really love to hate me, so we'll see.

Rane14: Thanks.

9cyclops9: You'll get there eventually.

NAP_s_king
09-13-2005, 01:17 PM
If I may ask Diesel, I noticed that your lifts have improved in the last few months, but your bodyweight has not. I'm just curious, are you not trying to gain muscle in the process, or are you just after the strength gains?

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
If I may ask Diesel, I noticed that your lifts have improved in the last few months, but your bodyweight has not. I'm just curious, are you not trying to gain muscle in the process, or are you just after the strength gains?

1) I haven't weighed myself in a while, so I might've actually gained weight.

2) I'm mainly concerned with strength. However, size gains would be an added benefit.

EDIT: Don't worry about some crap from a few months ago. We're cool.

midian
09-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I know you don't want to hear this but:

Your back is curved on the 10 reps deadlift. Just push your belly forward and your upper back back (kinda the reverse of what you're doing now).

The zerchers deadlift is horrible too, i'm evne starting to think you're not flexible enough to do them. Work on your core and you'll do a lot better already. Since you seem to like the controversial lifts try overhead squats (do them light) and with proper form offcourse. Some static training couldn't hurt too.

Besides that, you do have a great grip.

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I know you don't want to hear this but:

Your back is curved on the 10 reps deadlift. Just push your belly forward and your upper back back (kinda the reverse of what you're doing now).

The zerchers deadlift is horrible too, i'm evne starting to think you're not flexible enough to do them. Work on your core and you'll do a lot better already. Since you seem to like the controversial lifts try overhead squats (do them light) and with proper form offcourse. Some static training couldn't hurt too.

Besides that, you do have a great grip.

See Steel, I spoke too soon.

Can you tell me -why- the 245 zercher deadlift was horrible?

If you followed my training journal, you'd know that I do various core exercises such as the Turkish Get-Up and Two-Hands Anyhow.

midian
09-13-2005, 02:23 PM
See Steel, I spoke too soon.

Can you tell me -why- the 245 zercher deadlift was horrible?

If you followed my training journal, you'd know that I do various core exercises such as the Turkish Get-Up and Two-Hands Anyhow.

When you start your back is curved, meaning your back is not flexible enough. And you require more core strenght.

Your back is locked out long before your knees are.

Your knees also travel too much (you should get some ankle strength).

Also i noticed you're looking down for some time, don't. Look up or straight ahead of you.

And your center of balance isn't optimal.

Also the eccentric phase needs work.

Maybe try spider deadlifts... It's a lot harder but i find it much easier to keep a straigth back.

AJ010
09-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Midian- Not necessarily true. He could also just not be keeping his hips low, and not doing that would cause him to start from a slightly higher position, but most importantly this will effect his back position from the start to the finish, and it will also be a major factor in his knees locking out early. REMEMBER, THE UPPER BACK IS SUPPOSED TO ROUND. I know you didn't say anything about that, but I thought I'd mention it anyways. His knees locking out early thing is very closely related to him starting with his hips high. The knees moving thing is more of a sign of quad weakness, not ankle weakness.

Diesel, here's what I saw: Too hard to tell if you really rounded your lower back or not from the angle. Wearing a belt doesn't help the analysis either. BUT, try getting those hips a little bit lower :) You'll know how low is perfect, either the first time or after a few times. Remember, look up! I saw a lot of your reps you sort of looked somewhat down, I'd focus on keeping your head and eyes UP! Your body will follow your head.

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 04:26 PM
When you start your back is curved, meaning your back is not flexible enough. And you require more core strenght.

Your back is locked out long before your knees are.

Your knees also travel too much (you should get some ankle strength).

Also i noticed you're looking down for some time, don't. Look up or straight ahead of you.

And your center of balance isn't optimal.

Also the eccentric phase needs work.

Maybe try spider deadlifts... It's a lot harder but i find it much easier to keep a straigth back.

It's obvious that you never did a zercher deadlift in your entire life. It is a ROUNDED BACK LIFT. Did you ever read 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik? I doubt it. You are what he refers to as an "armchair expert" and he advises to steer clear of people like you.

EDIT: Can I see video of you performing a proper zercher deadlift so that I will get a better idea of what I'm doing wrong? Don't show me video of someone else doing it. Show me -your- perfect form instead.

midian
09-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Midian- Not necessarily true. He could also just not be keeping his hips low, and not doing that would cause him to start from a slightly higher position, but most importantly this will effect his back position from the start to the finish, and it will also be a major factor in his knees locking out early. REMEMBER, THE UPPER BACK IS SUPPOSED TO ROUND. I know you didn't say anything about that, but I thought I'd mention it anyways. His knees locking out early thing is very closely related to him starting with his hips high. The knees moving thing is more of a sign of quad weakness, not ankle weakness.

Actually about the knees it could be both, when i started doing pin squats my knees were travelling too. Though the weight flew up like nothing, proper feet placement and some ankle strenght took it right out. But i agree with the rest,but the upper back goes from the cerebral to the thoracic vertebrae for me. Lumbar should be straight.

It's obvious that you never did a zercher deadlift in your entire life. It is a ROUNDED BACK LIFT. Did you ever read 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik? I doubt it. You are what he refers to as an "armchair expert" and he advises to steer clear of people like you.

EDIT: Can I see video of you performing a proper zercher deadlift so that I will get a better idea of what I'm doing wrong? Don't show me video of someone else doing it. Show me -your- perfect form instead.

Zercher deadlifts would not benefit me at all, hence i stopped doing them a long time ago. Rounded back lifts are very possible, like rounded back goodmornings or the famous atlas stone.

Yes yes i'm an "armchair expert" and i'm performing exellent being so.

9cyclops9
09-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Round back lifting is potentially very dangerous. Here's an excerpt from Mike Robertson's article, "Erector Set."

Why are there no rounded back variations? Here’s the deal: You can build a great set of spinal erectors using round back variations of these lifts. But, you probably can’t do it and stay healthy for an extended period of time.

Now I’m sure some old-school lifters are going to bash me, saying that they’ve done rounded back lifts for years with no pain. That’s great, pal, but you’re probably the exception to the rule and others who follow your advice probably won’t be so lucky.

Round back good mornings, stiff-leg deadlifts, pull-throughs, deadlifts and the like can and will develop your erectors to a high-degree, but I won’t have it on my conscious to prescribe them for you. Stuart McGill, the world’s foremost researcher of spinal biomechanics, discusses in length in both of his books about how bad loaded spinal flexion is on your spine. To make a long story short, if you value your spine in its current state, stick to the neutral spine versions I’ve described above to get yourself stronger while staying injury-free.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=F0353B122761F093FF896B2315 E664EF.hydra?id=532962

BTW, just because someone calls you out on form or disagrees with you doesn't make him an "armchair expert." You've taken that phrase from Kubik and ruined it. You seem to use it every time someone contradicts you.

Cricket_Fire
09-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Informative post cyclops.

Midian is very close to become a Belgian Record holder, he's not just some kid on these boards bashing people (and he didn't really bash you either).

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 05:16 PM
BTW, just because someone calls you out on form or disagrees with you doesn't make him an "armchair expert." You've taken that phrase from Kubik and ruined it. You seem to use it every time someone contradicts you.

I actually rarely use the term to describe someone but it definitely fits in this particular situation. He -is- an armchair expert because he does waaay too much article writing and posting on message boards rather than lifting. He's obviously a know-it-all. Read his posts. He always tries very hard to impress people with his extensive "knowledge" of physiology and exercise science with his superfluous verbiage. There, I pulled a "midian" !! :D

midian
09-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I actually rarely use the term to describe someone but it definitely fits in this particular situation. He -is- an armchair expert because he does waaay too much article writing and posting on message boards rather than lifting. He's obviously a know-it-all. Read his posts. He always tries very hard to impress people with his extensive "knowledge" of physiology and exercise science with his superfluous verbiage. There, I pulled a "midian" !! :D

Oh well i tried. It's just not worth starting a flame war over. I'm sorry because i know something :rolleyes:

I'm going to go back to my arm chair now if you will excuse me.

9cyclops9
09-13-2005, 05:38 PM

This is why people don't take you seriously. I'm done.

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 05:41 PM
This is why people don't take you seriously. I'm done.

Ask me if I care. Go ahead.

Perceptionist
09-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I have a comment to say....

SHUT UP AND LIFT! :D

AJ010
09-13-2005, 06:49 PM
I have a comment to say....

SHUT UP AND LIFT! :D

I agree with this man. :D

Midian- I agree with everything you said in your reply to me. How would one go about increasing ankle strength though?

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 06:51 PM
I agree with this man. :D

Midian- I agree with everything you said in your reply to me. How would one go about increasing ankle strength though?

You can't increase ankle strength. The guy pulled that out of his ass.

AJ010
09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
You can't increase ankle strength. The guy pulled that out of his ass.

Nah man, I know that one leg balances can increase ankle strength. I'm not sure of what else increases ankle strength though...hopefully midian can help :)

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Nah man, I know that one leg balances can increase ankle strength. I'm not sure of what else increases ankle strength though...hopefully midian can help :)

Like I told you on AIM, ankle strength is NOT, I repeat NOT a major factor in the zercher deadlift or any other lift for that matter.

midian
09-13-2005, 07:27 PM

Basic calve raises, and toe raises are enough for most people or just to keep it simple. You have some specific training like squatting with one leg and putting your other foot behind the foot you're standing on pointing down. (yeah i know crappy description). Biking and running are good too. But what really helped me was sprinting up hill, the more the hill is inclined the better, my calves were just burned after that.

If you can you can even try skating, the side way motion is a different way. Some people prefer to incorporate ankle strength in their cardio. But the basic calve training will do. Just make sure you use full rom.

Like I told you on AIM, ankle strength is NOT, I repeat NOT a major factor in the zercher deadlift or any other lift for that matter.

Source: pubmedz
PURPOSE: Strength athletes often employ the deadlift in their training or rehabilitation regimens. The purpose of this study was to compare muscle activity between sumo and conventional style deadlifts, and between belt and no-belt conditions. METHODS: Six cameras collected 60-Hz video data and 960-Hz electromyographic data from 13 collegiate football players who performed sumo and conventional deadlifts with and without a lifting belt, employing a 12-RM intensity. Variables measured were knee angles and EMG measurements from 16 muscles. Muscle activity were averaged and compared within three 30-degree knee angle intervals from 90 to 0 degrees during the ascent, and three 30-degree knee angle intervals from 0 to 90 degrees during the descent. RESULTS: Overall EMG activity from the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, and tibialis anterior were significantly greater in the sumo deadlift, whereas overall EMG activity from the medial gastrocnemius was significantly greater in the conventional deadlift. Compared with the no-belt condition, the belt condition produced significantly greater rectus abdominis activity and significantly less external oblique activity. For most muscles, EMG activity was significantly greater in the knee extending intervals compared with the corresponding knee flexing intervals. Quadriceps, tibialis anterior, hip adductor, gluteus maximus, L3 and T12 paraspinal, and middle trapezius activity were significantly greater in higher knee flexion intervals compared with lower knee flexion intervals, whereas hamstrings, gastrocnemius, and upper trapezius activity were greater in lower knee flexion intervals compared with higher knee flexion intervals. CONCLUSIONS: Athletes may choose to employ either the sumo or conventional deadlift style, depending on which muscles are considered most important according to their training protocols. Moderate to high co-contractions from the quadriceps, hamstrings, and gastrocnemius imply that the deadlift may be an effective closed kinetic chain exercise for strength athletes to employ during knee rehabilitation.

Your ankles move during the deadlift as well as in other exercise (like in Olympic exercises). It's very important during explosive lifting off the floor. Look at the ankle as a wrist, you're not going to say that wrist strength is not important. Weak wrists is asking for a wrist injury during benching. Well weak ankles are no exception. The ankle is a joint, a joint that moves A LOT during exercises which should say enough. A joint needs muscles to move, you can strengthen muscles hence ankle strength exists plain and simple.

Secondly (though this is not for every person) when you arch with your toes on the ground and your heels in the air you should have good ankle strength. First off you drive your heels down and your feet at your ground base when benching. You should be able so stabilize with your knees/ankles.

Also people who do plyometrics have strong ankles which is required for vertical jumps…

I’m not saying that ankle strength is THEE most important aspect in most exercises. But it should not be neglected neither.

DieselWeasel
09-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I think that I have tendonitis in my shins/ankles from my Army days. I don't know if that could affect my lifting. It's possible, I guess.

DieselWeasel
09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
09/14/05 - Push

My bench strength seems to be improving. I did more hub and pinch work after the pin presses.

Pin Press
95x6
115x5
135x4
160x8 (+5lbs)

- 6th pin in squat rack (an inch or two above my chest)

Rane14
09-14-2005, 09:04 PM
nice pin presses, weasel. Have the helped you in improving your bench press?

DieselWeasel
09-14-2005, 09:09 PM
nice pin presses, weasel. Have the helped you in improving your bench press?

I don't know yet. I haven't bench pressed since the first week in August.

CaseySurf19
09-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Hey Weasel, I think i found another one of your vids...

http://media.putfile.com/Deadlift300lbsBad23

9cyclops9
09-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey felcher, I think I found your mom's vagina last night.

Did you see this one yet, you ****wit?
http://media.putfile.com/max_deadlift_325x10

Diesel, your class is showing.

DieselWeasel
09-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Diesel, your class is showing.

I'm only reciprocating the love.

You're not wanted here, like the tool that I replied to earlier.

9cyclops9
09-15-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm only reciprocating the love.

You're not wanted here, like the tool that I replied to earlier.

Too bad, I'm here.

DieselWeasel
09-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Too bad, I'm here.

You totally ruined my day. :rolleyes:

ashnut
09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
hey DW how about redoing your "infamous" 425 DL and 315(?) squat (which got all the hating started) on video with perfect form to shut up any critics? to show them your training methodology is paying off. seeing as you've basically set a PR in every damn workout the past year it should be pretty easy.

and get your PR's back in your sig damnit :)

gripguru316
09-18-2005, 08:44 AM
How's your right arm doing Deez? Is it hurting with active movement or does it hurt all the time? If it is still hurting, try contrasting baths and sledge rotations.

I-hate-Squats
09-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Hey felcher, I think I found your mom's vagina last night.

Did you see this one yet, you ****wit?
http://media.putfile.com/max_deadlift_325x10
ooOOOooOOOO nice deadlifts there bud

DieselWeasel
09-18-2005, 05:50 PM
How's your right arm doing Deez? Is it hurting with active movement or does it hurt all the time? If it is still hurting, try contrasting baths and sledge rotations.

I've been feeling almost no pain since seeing the doctor and only needed to use the anti-inflammatory meds (Mobic) once. I really believe that the Mueller elbow sleeves that I've been using have helped relieve tension on the elbow and tendons.

ashnut: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't need to prove anything to anyone. Anyway, as for the deadlift, I'm concentrating on the Strongest Man in PA contest weight of 325lbs for reps. Last time, I did 10 in under 60 seconds. Tomorrow, I want to do at least 12 within the time limit.

I-hate-Squats: Thanks, bro. :)

09/16/05 - Event Training

This was my first training session with a steel log. It's an 8" log from BruteStrength.com

Log Clean and Press (new)
60x5 (empty log)
90x3
120x1
150x0 <= I was having too much trouble trying to cleaning the log.
130x2.5
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_130x211

09/17/05 - Legs

The heat in the weight room was brutal and much worse than last leg day when I successfully did 365x1.

135x6
185x4
225x2
275x1
315x1
345x0 <= This was very disappointing because I did that weight AND 365x1, last leg day. :mad:

- After that, I showed my girlfriend how to squat because she always used machines in the past. Then, we needed to leave because the heat was unbearable and the weight room was closing anyway.

130x2.5 Log Press Screenshot:

ashnut
09-18-2005, 06:31 PM
i think there's something wrong with the logpress vid

DieselWeasel
09-18-2005, 06:33 PM
i think there's something wrong with the logpress vid

Yeah, Putfile.com is pissing me off. I'm working on it.

EDIT: OK. I fixed it. The filename is a little wacky, but that's the best that I can manage. Try the link above again.

9cyclops9
09-18-2005, 07:12 PM
After that, I showed my girlfriend how to squat because she always used machines in the past.

Dude, that brings a tear to my eye. Girls and squats is a match made in heaven. I'm showing my fiancée how to squat when I get back to FL for Thanksgiving. She's doing the leg press for now.

Nice work with the log press. I've never had the chance to try it but it's a great lift.

DieselWeasel
09-18-2005, 07:31 PM
Dude, that brings a tear to my eye. Girls and squats is a match made in heaven. I'm showing my fiancée how to squat when I get back to FL for Thanksgiving. She's doing the leg press for now.

Nice work with the log press. I've never had the chance to try it but it's a great lift.

Yeah, the squat is great for shaping a girl's booty. :D

The log press is a good test of overhead strength.

I-hate-Squats
09-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I've been feeling almost no pain since seeing the doctor and only needed to use the anti-inflammatory meds (Mobic) once. I really believe that the Mueller elbow sleeves that I've been using have helped relieve tension on the elbow and tendons.

ashnut: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't need to prove anything to anyone. Anyway, as for the deadlift, I'm concentrating on the Strongest Man in PA contest weight of 325lbs for reps. Last time, I did 10 in under 60 seconds. Tomorrow, I want to do at least 12 within the time limit.

I-hate-Squats: Thanks, bro. :)

09/16/05 - Event Training

This was my first training session with a steel log. It's an 8" log from BruteStrength.com

Log Clean and Press (new)
60x5 (empty log)
90x3
120x1
150x0 <= I was having too much trouble trying to cleaning the log.
130x2.5
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_130x211

09/17/05 - Legs

The heat in the weight room was brutal and much worse than last leg day when I successfully did 365x1.

135x6
185x4
225x2
275x1
315x1
345x0 <= This was very disappointing because I did that weight AND 365x1, last leg day. :mad:

- After that, I showed my girlfriend how to squat because she always used machines in the past. Then, we needed to leave because the heat was unbearable and the weight room was closing anyway.

130x2.5 Log Press Screenshot:

u probably couldnt squat well cause of the heat, I remember being in small, hot, sweaty gyms like that, it sux, but it makes ya burn some extra fat :)

DieselWeasel
09-18-2005, 09:04 PM
u probably couldnt squat well cause of the heat, I remember being in small, hot, sweaty gyms like that, it sux, but it makes ya burn some extra fat :)

****, dude. I don't have any fat to burn, damn it! :D

Rane14
09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
****, dude. I don't have any fat to burn, damn it! :D
lucky you, lol

Tormented
09-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Looked like your right arm might not have been completely locked out on those log press reps, watch out for that--would suck to lose reps that way in a competition.

DieselWeasel
09-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Looked like your right arm might not have been completely locked out on those log press reps, watch out for that--would suck to lose reps that way in a competition.

Here is a screenshot of each of the two reps that were locked out:

P0W3RLIFT3R87
09-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Nice log presses. I think they are locked out all the way, but from the screenshots looks like the camera is a bit tilted giving the impression that right side is lower when it isn't, b/c when you look at the log in comparison with the straight line on the garage looks like it is even.

Perceptionist
09-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I want to try a log press :( I wish I had better access to strongman eqiupment.

DieselWeasel
09-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Nice log presses. I think they are locked out all the way, but from the screenshots looks like the camera is a bit tilted giving the impression that right side is lower when it isn't, b/c when you look at the log in comparison with the straight line on the garage looks like it is even.

Yeah, the camera was probably titled, especially during the second rep.

Perceptionist: I bought my strongman equipment (farmer's walk and steel log) from BruteStrength.com and they weren't too expensive. However, it took a while for me to receive each of the two orders.

AJ010
09-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Strong **** dude

DieselWeasel
09-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Strong **** dude

Thanks, bro.

Tormented
09-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Here is a screenshot of each of the two reps that were locked out:

Sorry, I didn't realize your arms weren't capable of being straight at the elbow.

DieselWeasel
09-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Sorry, I didn't realize your arms weren't capable of being straight at the elbow.

What? :confused:

09/19/05 - Pull

Deadlift
135x6
225x4
325x11* (+1 rep)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_dead_325x11

* under 60 seconds

Barbell Row
135x6
205x6
275x6 (+2 reps)

- I didn't do dumbbell hammer curls because it could interfere with the log press that I'm doing tomorrow.

MassIsAhead
09-20-2005, 08:37 AM
I just saw that deadlift vid, you know the 60 seconds one (325*11). Man, watch your form! You deadlift like Quasimodo. Plus, all those reps wouldn't have been approved. Cheating the bar from the quads up is not a deadlift ;)

Just a helpful hint :)

DieselWeasel
09-20-2005, 09:55 AM
I just saw that deadlift vid, you know the 60 seconds one (325*11). Man, watch your form! You deadlift like Quasimodo. Plus, all those reps wouldn't have been approved. Cheating the bar from the quads up is not a deadlift ;)

Just a helpful hint :)

If you took the time to read my training goals (i.e. strongman), you would know that all of the reps in that video will be approved when I compete on October 1st at the Strongest Man in Pennsylvania contest. Unlike powerlifting, hitching is allowed in strongman.

gripguru316
09-20-2005, 10:35 AM
I didn't do dumbbell hammer curls because it could interfere with the log press that I'm doing tomorrow.

It depends on how heavy your going. If you do lots of heavy sets, you will be effected. However, If you are doing lighter weight, your arms shouldn't feel that bad.

DieselWeasel
09-20-2005, 12:34 PM
It depends on how heavy your going. If you do lots of heavy sets, you will be effected. However, If you are doing lighter weight, your arms shouldn't feel that bad.

I always do heavy sets (i.e. 80s x 6) when I do dumbbell hammer curls, so that wasn't an option for me, yesterday. As you know, the log clean is similar to a hammer curl.

gripguru316
09-20-2005, 04:08 PM
An unstrict hammer curl. I don't think you haven't to worry. Are you doing any arm wrestling training??? I am currently training for the Battle in the Capital. Travis Bagent is supposed to be there! I can't wait.

DieselWeasel
09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
gripguru316: I'm not armwrestling for a while because I'm focusing on strongman. I'm competing in the Strongest Man in Pennsylvania contest on October 1st. Good luck with your armwrestling competitions. :)

09/20/05 - Event Training

Log Clean and Press
60x6 (empty log)
80x4
110x3

140x4 (+10lbs)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_140x4

150x1 (+20lbs)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_150x1

BPP
09-20-2005, 07:47 PM
gripguru316: I'm not armwrestling for a while because I'm focusing on strongman. I'm competing in the Strongest Man in Pennsylvania contest on October 1st. Good luck with your armwrestling competitions. :)

Log Clean and Press
60x6 (empty log)
80x4
110x3

140x4 (+10lbs)

150x1 (+20lbs)

1) ****ing great presses!!!! awesome will and power
2) form was completely fine, would have passed easily in contest
3) USE SOME LEGS!!!! THAT WAS ALL UPPER BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) when you first start the log, turn it away from you on the ground so that it digs into the palm/wrist area...eg: face the handles 45 degrees away..makes it a more natural rotation on the clean

DieselWeasel
09-20-2005, 08:04 PM
1) ****ing great presses!!!! awesome will and power
2) form was completely fine, would have passed easily in contest
3) USE SOME LEGS!!!! THAT WAS ALL UPPER BODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4) when you first start the log, turn it away from you on the ground so that it digs into the palm/wrist area...eg: face the handles 45 degrees away..makes it a more natural rotation on the clean

Thanks for the advice. :)

I definitely used good leg drive for the 140x4 set, but I probably could've used more in the 150x1 set.

AJ010
09-20-2005, 08:05 PM
I agree , awesome presses!

So remember, use the starting grip proppy suggested, use more leg drive, and kill it.

DieselWeasel
09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I agree , awesome presses!

So remember, use the starting grip proppy suggested, use more leg drive, and kill it.

Thanks, bro.

Yeah, I need to work on my clean form and be more consistent with the leg drive during the press.

gripguru316
09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Nice presses.

DieselWeasel
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Nice presses.

Thanks. Let me know how you do at the armwrestling competition.

DieselWeasel
09-21-2005, 07:27 PM
09/21/05 - Event Training

Farmer's Walk
105 per hand - 50 feet
155 per hand - 50 feet
205 per hand - 30 feet - 20 seconds (+5lbs)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_farmer_205_30

Tormented
09-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Log Clean and Press
60x6 (empty log)
80x4
110x3

140x4 (+10lbs)

150x1 (+20lbs)

Those were much better than the previous ones.

DieselWeasel
09-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Those were much better than the previous ones.

Previous ones? I only posted -one- log press video before those two.

DieselWeasel
09-23-2005, 05:19 PM
09/23/05 - Chest/Legs

Incline Dumbbell Press
25s x 8
45s x 6
65s x 13 (+5 reps)

Dumbbell Front Squat (new)
25s x 8
45s x 6
65s x 6

AJ010
09-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Previous ones? I only posted -one- log press video before those two.

lol dude stop nitpicking and playing semantics here..

He didn't say previous videos, he said previous "ones", which I'm sure meant presses, and you did more than one previous press, 2 and a half presses with 130 actually.

But yeah, these looked better.

DieselWeasel
09-23-2005, 05:37 PM
lol dude stop nitpicking and playing semantics here..

He didn't say previous videos, he said previous "ones", which I'm sure meant presses, and you did more than one previous press, 2 and a half presses with 130 actually.

But yeah, these looked better.

Yeah, you're right.

I apologize, Tormented. :)

AJ010
09-23-2005, 05:45 PM
Awesome dumbell incline and front squats dude.

65sx13 is pretty damn good dude.

The dumbell front squats must have felt a little weird...howd you set them up?

DieselWeasel
09-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Awesome dumbell incline and front squats dude.

65sx13 is pretty damn good dude.

The dumbell front squats must have felt a little weird...howd you set them up?

Thanks.

I just did a double clean with the two dumbbells and did squats with them in the clean position.

Tormented
09-24-2005, 02:10 AM
I was referring to reps -of course-

Porky
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
diesel u tank :)

DieselWeasel
09-24-2005, 12:10 PM
diesel u tank :)

Thanks, bro. :)

What's the status on your home gym?

Porky
09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks, bro. :)

What's the status on your home gym?

status is no money lol

but im getting a bar once my money is in the bank, then just doing ghetto training with bar and weights.

i did some grip work today, checker out in journal.

DieselWeasel
09-24-2005, 09:10 PM
09/24/05 - Grip

Hand Grippers
- After warming up with easier grippers, I did a partial close and negative with each hand using the CoC #3 and HG300 grippers.

Block Weights
- After warming up with my 17.5lb York blob, I finally did a deadlift with my 32.5lb York blob using either hand. This was the first time that I did that without holding onto the lighter blob in one hand.

Here is a pic of me doing a partial deadlift of the 32.5lb blob with my right hand:

MXdawg2
09-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Strong workouts lately, especially the 325x11 deadlift.
That log press looked great, with a little more leg drive it will be even better.
Good luck in your upcoming comp.

DieselWeasel
09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Strong workouts lately, especially the 325x11 deadlift.
That log press looked great, with a little more leg drive it will be even better.
Good luck in your upcoming comp.

Thanks, bro. There are only 6 more days until I compete! :eek: :)

DieselWeasel
09-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Here is a screenshot from my last farmer's walk of 205lbs in each hand:

Newbtime
09-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Nice blob lift, 32.5 is a good lift for somone with average to small hands.

get a long peice of string and tie weights to one end, then on the other and lay it over the blob, to add weight :) .

DieselWeasel
09-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Nice blob lift, 32.5 is a good lift for somone with average to small hands.

get a long peice of string and tie weights to one end, then on the other and lay it over the blob, to add weight :) .

My hands are 7.5" which is average, right?

Thanks for the suggestion.

ashnut
09-25-2005, 04:33 PM
There are only 6 more days until I compete!
good luck DW!
what weightclasses are there in that comp?

DieselWeasel
09-25-2005, 05:10 PM
good luck DW!
what weightclasses are there in that comp?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
MEN'S - Open
Lightweight: Up to & including 175 lbs
Middleweight: Over 175 lbs up to & including 200 lbs
Light Heavyweight: Over 200 lbs up to & including 231 lbs
Heavyweight: Over 231 lbs up to & including 265 lbs
Super Heavyweight: Over 265 lbs

MEN MASTERS - Over 40
Lightweight: Up to & including 231 lbs
Heavyweight: Over 231 lbs

Masters competitors will use the same weights as the Men’s Open classes depending on their respective bodyweight.

MEN'S - Novice
Lightweight: Up to 175 lbs
Middleweight: Over 175 up to 200 lbs
Light-Heavyweight: Over 200 up to 231 lbs
Heavyweight: Over 231 lbs

The NOVICE classification means that a competitor has never won his weight class in an NASS competition.

The weights used will be lighter and are designated in the Event Descriptions.

WOMEN'S - Open
Lightweight: Up to & including 140 lbs
Heavyweight: Over 140 lbs
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will be my first competition and I will be competing in the Novice Lightweight division.

Rane14
09-25-2005, 07:06 PM
good luck at the competition, DW.

DieselWeasel
09-25-2005, 07:21 PM
good luck at the competition, DW.

Thanks. I will post the results with video after the contest.

Porky
09-25-2005, 09:17 PM
awsome **** dw. i dont need to wish u luck, cuz i know you will do your best and ur best = greatness.

DieselWeasel
09-25-2005, 09:39 PM
awsome **** dw. i dont need to wish u luck, cuz i know you will do your best and ur best = greatness.

Thanks, bro. If I get 1st, 2nd or 3rd in my division, that would be great. :)

DieselWeasel
09-26-2005, 09:36 PM
09/26/05 - Event Training

This was my last training day before strongman competition on Saturday, October 1st. I planned to do both the log press and the farmer's walk, but because of the rain and a late start, I was only able to do the log press.

Log Press
60x6
90x4
120x2
145x1
160x0 (one clean and three half reps)
160x0 (one clean and three partial reps)
155x0 (one clean and two half reps)

155x1* (+5lbs)
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_logpress_155x1_veryclose

155x0 (one clean and two partial reps)

* This press was not locked out. However, it was extremely close.

Perceptionist
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Just curious if there's a website that shows results of the different events and also locations of future events? anyway good luck.

DieselWeasel
09-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Just curious if there's a website that shows results of the different events and also locations of future events? anyway good luck.

This is the official website for the Strongest Man in Pennsylvania 2005 contest:
http://garyudit.com/nas_pa_gnc_information.html

The results will probably be posted there or here:
http://www.nastrongman.com/

Information regarding the Strongest Man in Pittsburgh (another strongman contest in the same area) can also be found on garyudit.com

BPP
09-26-2005, 11:35 PM
better clean

didnt listen to what we said about leg drive or turning the log on the ground before cleaning

DieselWeasel
09-27-2005, 09:48 AM
better clean

didnt listen to what we said about leg drive or turning the log on the ground before cleaning

I know that I didn't turn the log on the ground before the clean which I should've tried. However, I made a conscious effort to use more leg drive during the press and it looks to me like I did. You don't agree?

9cyclops9
09-27-2005, 09:57 AM
DW, here's a video of Brad Cardozza doing a 300lb log press. I think it illustrates the kind of leg drive they're talking about. I'm definitely no expert in the log press, but I'd be willing to say that Cardozza is.

http://www.pinnaclestrengthandfitness.com/images/300_log.AVI

BPP
09-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I know that I didn't turn the log on the ground before the clean which I should've tried. However, I made a conscious effort to use more leg drive during the press and it looks to me like I did. You don't agree?

whether it was more or not, it didnt appear so by much, and its still not enough...dip with the legs and explode up..your not getting enough of a start with the log from the drive and having to do too much strict pressing

DieselWeasel
09-27-2005, 01:07 PM
whether it was more or not, it didnt appear so by much, and its still not enough...dip with the legs and explode up..your not getting enough of a start with the log from the drive and having to do too much strict pressing

Yeah, I need to work on that. I think I've done well, considering the limited amount of time that I've been training with the log. Even if I don't do well with the log press event on Saturday, there are still four other events besides that one.

9cyclops9: Thanks for the video. That gives me a good visual of how much leg drive is needed. However, Brad Cardoza is doing a log jerk-press which is probably not allowed in the competition on Saturday.

BPP
09-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I need to work on that. I think I've done well, considering the limited amount of time that I've been training with the log. Even if I don't do well with the log press event on Saturday, there are still four other events besides that one.

9cyclops9: Thanks for the video. That gives me a good visual of how much leg drive is needed. However, Brad Cardoza is doing a log jerk-press which is probably not allowed in the competition on Saturday.

yes, it most likely is...most comps allow any type of press you want

DieselWeasel
09-27-2005, 01:11 PM
yes, it most likely is...most comps allow any type of press you want

This is what it says on garyudit.com:

LOG PRESS

• Competitors must clean the log from the floor and then perform standing presses for reps.

• Competitors must press the log from their chest, above their head and lock their elbows at the top with their head forward.

• Competitors may use their legs. Competitors may place the bar back on the floor.

• Each competitor gets one attempt. The most reps wins. No elbow wraps are permitted. There is a 60-second time limit.

AJ010
09-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Uhhh, a jerk in the most common sense is where you split the legs one forward and one backwards instead of keeping both feet in line the whole time. You could probably lift more like that.

Standing probably just means overhead, i dunno though. You wouldnt press a log anywhere else when standing, so it makes sense.

BPP
09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
This is what it says on garyudit.com:

LOG PRESS

• Competitors must clean the log from the floor and then perform standing presses for reps.

• Competitors must press the log from their chest, above their head and lock their elbows at the top with their head forward.

• Competitors may use their legs. Competitors may place the bar back on the floor.

• Each competitor gets one attempt. The most reps wins. No elbow wraps are permitted. There is a 60-second time limit.

exactly, show me where it says no jerk press?

DieselWeasel
09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm going to ask Gary Udit via email regarding what is allowed (i.e. push press, jerk press, etc.) when doing the log press.

AJ010
09-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Good idea

DieselWeasel
09-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Good idea

I'm full of 'em. :cool: :D

AJ010
09-27-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm full of 'em. :cool: :D

Just like ****.

j/k

DieselWeasel
09-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Just like ****.

j/k

You bastard! :mad: ;)

DieselWeasel
09-28-2005, 06:03 AM
09/27/05 - Grip

OK, I lied. :D

-This- was my last workout before the contest besides practicing my jerk technique with the empty log, later today.

Block Weight Deadlift
17.5lb York blob x a bunch of alternating reps with each hand
32.5lb York blob x 1 full rep with right
32.5lb York blob x 1 full rep with right and 1 full rep with left

Here is a video of the first set with the 32.5lb York blob:
http://media.putfile.com/max_block_32point5_dead

Here is a video of the second set:
http://media.putfile.com/max_block_32point5_dead_2

DieselWeasel
09-28-2005, 05:38 PM
09/28/05 - GPP and Technique Work

I tried to do a clean and press with the 32.5lb York blob, but it was tough to merely deadlift the damn thing, so that wasn't going to happen today. The blob lifts from last night must've drained my pinch grip strength.

Toss and Catch
17.5lb York blob <= I never used a block weight with this exercise.
video: http://media.putfile.com/max_tosscatch_17point5

- After that I did a bunch of clean and jerk press sets with the empty log, just to work on my technique. Lastly, I wanted to try the log front squat, so I did that with the empty log for 10 reps.

Here is a sexy pic for all the ladies out there. :D

AJ010
09-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Nice job dude!

Now rest! :)

DieselWeasel
09-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Nice job dude!

Now rest! :)

Yeah, I need some good sleep! :)

BTW, Gary Udit told me via email that the log jerk press is allowed, so that's what I will be doing on Saturday.

AJ010
09-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I need some good sleep! :)

BTW, Gary Udit told me via email that the log jerk press is allowed, so that's what I will be doing on Saturday.

Do you know how to jerk though? I don't think you've practiced it much!

Porky
09-29-2005, 02:27 PM
Do you know how to jerk though? I don't think you've practiced it much!

lets not go there lol

Radok
09-29-2005, 07:47 PM
DW, do you care about your bench much? Are you going to try to reach 300 on it or anything? Just curious.