PDA

View Full Version : Best Natural Bodybuilding Organizations?

EME
07-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Hey Everyone,

I need some help / info about the various natural bodybuilding organizations out there.

I would like to know your preferences about which natural organizaions put on the best shows, which are the worst, and general recommendations for choosing an organization to compete in.

I currently compete in the NPC, Open class. Although, I like and support the NPC, I don't use gear, and realize I am at a definite disadvantage. This will only become worse as I progress up in weight class and competition level.

I will continue to compete in the NPC, but I would like to set a goal for myself of eventually turning pro in a natural organization and I'd like the advice of those who have competed in the various natural organizations.

Finally, I need to know which organizations count pro-hormone use as a violation of their drug free policy, and the length of time being drug free that is required.

I haven't used any prescription hormones for more than 10 years, but I have used pro-hormones more recently. I know some organizations allow some substances and others do not allow any prior use at all.

Thank you very much for your help.

- EME

ShaneG85
07-19-2004, 12:55 PM
The WNBF and INBF (amateur organization of WNBF) are good, but since you stated that you have used prohormones, you couldn't compete in those. A big organization that allows all OTC products and bans steroids is Musclemania and another one is the NPC Team Universe.

Shane

str8flexed
07-19-2004, 07:38 PM
NGA still allows prohormones I believe... as does the ANBC and the NABF. The INBA (one of my favorite organizations) has banned them but their ban is only 3 years rather than 7

-Layne

EME
07-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks Shane and Layne.

I appreciate the info.

I have actually been looking into the Musclemania series and the NGA. We actually have an NGA Pro Qualifying show in Oklahoma every year. I've also e-mailed the ANBC for further clarification on their banned supplement policy.

One more question....

If you are a pro in a natural organization can you still legally compete in the NPC? ( or any other amateur organization ).

I found out recently that a competitor who placed ahead of me in an NPC show was already a pro in the NGA. Was he technically eligible to compete in the NPC since he had pro status in an organization already?

Surely there must be a way for someone to switch to a new organization once they have achieved pro status in another, but I'm just not 100% sure how the amateur eligibility works.

Finally, anyone with any experience competing in either the Musclemania series, NGA, or ANBC?

Thank you very much,
- EME

str8flexed
07-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by EME
Thanks Shane and Layne.

I appreciate the info.

I have actually been looking into the Musclemania series and the NGA. We actually have an NGA Pro Qualifying show in Oklahoma every year. I've also e-mailed the ANBC for further clarification on their banned supplement policy.

One more question....

If you are a pro in a natural organization can you still legally compete in the NPC? ( or any other amateur organization ).

I found out recently that a competitor who placed ahead of me in an NPC show was already a pro in the NGA. Was he technically eligible to compete in the NPC since he had pro status in an organization already?

Surely there must be a way for someone to switch to a new organization once they have achieved pro status in another, but I'm just not 100% sure how the amateur eligibility works.

Finally, anyone with any experience competing in either the Musclemania series, NGA, or ANBC?

Thank you very much,
- EME

most orgs don't care if you are a pro in another org, so long as you are not a pro in their organization trying to do an amature show.

-Layne

EME
07-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks again for the info Layne.

- EME

Fletch
07-28-2004, 12:36 PM
as of last year when I talked with the president of the NGA (Andy Bostinto), me said that he encourages his NGA pros to compete in other organizations (along with the NGA) so that they get more exposure and set a silent example for drug-free bodybuilding.

He also mentioned that the WNBF/INBF discouraged it's pros from competing in shows outside of their organization. (especially the case regarding entering in other natty organization contests)

The WNBF/INBF was an organization that was created due to a fallout of a couple promotors and board members in the NGA. Up until a few years ago, it was just the NGA.

NGA allows PH's until they become illegal, however you are responsible to pass a polygraph to compete and a urinalysis once you are a pro.

The questions they ask in their polygraph are geared towards illegal substances in general, prescription drugs, and anabolic steroids.

- Fletch

Sp1ke
08-05-2004, 07:27 PM
whats the website for INBF?

str8flexed
08-05-2004, 08:07 PM
www.inbf.net

EME
08-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks again Str8 and Fletch.

I have checked out the NGA website and have contacted our local promoter about next years show in OK.

A couple more questions for you guys if you don't mind.

1) What are the weight classes for men's bodybuilding in the NGA? I didn't see that listed anywhere on the NGA site.

2) Can you please tell me about any significant differences you've noticed between competing in the NGA vs. the NPC?

Thanks again for your help.

- EME

Fletch
08-06-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by EME
Thanks again Str8 and Fletch.

I have checked out the NGA website and have contacted our local promoter about next years show in OK.

A couple more questions for you guys if you don't mind.

1) What are the weight classes for men's bodybuilding in the NGA? I didn't see that listed anywhere on the NGA site.

2) Can you please tell me about any significant differences you've noticed between competing in the NGA vs. the NPC?

- EME

1)
http://www.nationalgym.com/schedule_winners/schedule/AmericanApplication.pdf

This is an application that has the weight classes in it. :)

2) Level of competition overall is much more competitive in the NPC. The NGA pros are very competitve within their organization and would place well in any NPC show with the excepion of nationals. AAS usage is rampant in the NPC and not necessarily frowned upon. (even if you have noticeable scar tissue on your glute from injections.

The judging is just as political in both organizations.

- Fletch

EME
08-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks a lot Fletch!

One more thing..

On that application, I notice that the Florida Natural Championships only had check boxes for Novice, Jr. Masters, and Teens, and the American International Championships had the check boxes for the open classes.

Is the Florida State Championship only a Novice competition, or is there another State level competition in Florida for Open competitiors?

I have already placed in the top three in a state level Open contest in the NPC, so it doesn't appear that I'm eligible to compete as a novice in the NGA, but I'm not sure that I would be ready for the American International Championships either.

I don't live in Florida, so I don't plan on entering that particular competition any time soon, but if I wanted to, it doesn't appear there would be a class for me. Am I missing something?

- EME

Fletch
08-08-2004, 07:42 AM
From your past competition pics, you'd definitely be ready for the NGA American Internationals and would place well. Remember it also depends who's showing up to shoot for their pro card as well. If you look at the overall contest schedule, you'll see that there are more shows throughout the US and closer to your area.

That particular show is actually 3 shows on the same day.

Florida Natural Championships: (FL Resident) Novice, Jr. Masters, Teens
American Internationals: (Worldwide entry) Open
Pro Universe: Pros Only

You are correct that you are not eligible for the novice class. Congrats on the strong placing in the NPC show. :) I hope to someday break the top 3 of an NPC show as a natty.

- Ted

Originally posted by EME
Thanks a lot Fletch!

One more thing..

On that application, I notice that the Florida Natural Championships only had check boxes for Novice, Jr. Masters, and Teens, and the American International Championships had the check boxes for the open classes.

Is the Florida State Championship only a Novice competition, or is there another State level competition in Florida for Open competitiors?

I have already placed in the top three in a state level Open contest in the NPC, so it doesn't appear that I'm eligible to compete as a novice in the NGA, but I'm not sure that I would be ready for the American International Championships either.

I don't live in Florida, so I don't plan on entering that particular competition any time soon, but if I wanted to, it doesn't appear there would be a class for me. Am I missing something?

- EME

EME
08-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks Ted for all the information, and the compliment.
I look forward to competing in the NGA.

Being a fellow natural competitor, I realize my progression in the NPC is limited. I will continue to compete in the NPC and hope to win my class one day at the state level, but it will be tough to do well at the National level.

I have decided to set a long term goal of turning pro in a natural organization, and I think the NGA may be the organization for me. We actually have a pro qualifier in Oklahoma every year. I've contaced the promoter for more info about our show.

Thanks again for your help and good luck in your future competitions!

- EME

Fletch
08-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by EME
Thanks Ted for all the information, and the compliment.
I look forward to competing in the NGA.

Being a fellow natural competitor, I realize my progression in the NPC is limited. I will continue to compete in the NPC and hope to win my class one day at the state level, but it will be tough to do well at the National level.

I have decided to set a long term goal of turning pro in a natural organization, and I think the NGA may be the organization for me. We actually have a pro qualifier in Oklahoma every year. I've contaced the promoter for more info about our show.

Thanks again for your help and good luck in your future competitions!

- EME

That's a great goal to set for yourself EME! Take some pics and let us know how that NGA show in OK is.

Oh and thanks for the well wishes! :)

- Fletch

dam225
08-10-2004, 09:31 AM
www.ocbbodybuilding.com