PDA

View Full Version : What happens during the night?

Nick666
07-13-2004, 03:43 PM
The body can store glycogen but not fat, right?

So what happens during the night when you're in ketosis? You're burning bodyfat instead of glycogen.

What this means I guess is that the body burns bodyfat during the entire night. This means that since the metabolism slows down by 30% during the night, the body can mobilize a very large amount of energy from bodyfat per unit time.

What I want to get at is that it is possible that we could cut calories even more, and that most of the fat burnt when we're doing a normal keto are burnt during the night - during the day we burn what we eat.

So the question is this: couldn't we cut calories even more to burn more bodyfat during the day? Meaning that once we're in ketosis, we would take enough protein to support the muscles, and just enough fat for our energy needs - and stay in ketosis.

Nick666
07-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Anyone?

I think it would be important to know if we loose fat mainly during the night.

For instance, that would mean that we could take carbs say in the morning to refill muscle glycogen, as long as we are in a state of ketosis during the night.

Original Poster
07-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Nick666
Meaning that once we're in ketosis, we would take enough protein to support the muscles, and just enough fat for our energy needs - and stay in ketosis.

When you find that, you will have surely reached the ketogenic promised land.........LOL

;)

Nick666
07-14-2004, 01:13 PM
You mean that we can safely cut calories by say 1000? Are you sure of that?

waytoodeep03
07-16-2004, 06:06 AM
I have hit a plateau so that at is what I am doing now I eat around 1300 to 1500 cals a day. I have just started for a week now I feel fine. More importantly to me I am starting to lose this stubborn weight.

Also I carb up every other week because itroducing carbs in my body causes adverse effects when I did it every week. I would look like I gained all my weight back with bloating and I would have that smooth look.

Now after my "every two" carb up I would go on a fast for a day just to get my body to kick back in.

Nick666
07-16-2004, 06:17 AM
Interesting.. Usually when fat loss stops, it is advised to up calories a little bit.. but in your case you fixed the problem by cutting calories even more..

Do you do some cardio? And do you loose LBM?

waytoodeep03
07-16-2004, 06:27 AM
I haven't noticed and lbm loss just the usual getting smaller from losing fat, but yes I do moderate intensity cardio and usually run 2-3 miles 4 days out the week.

I try not to do HIIT as of right now. I want to see how this distance cardio works first.

Nick666
07-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Ok I see. I guess your cardio probably helps to keep your metabolism high at such low levels of calories.

But it may be a good idea to try HIIT with a big caloriy deficit. The HIIT would be used to maintain the metabolism. The problem is that it takes carbs to do the HIIT, so it may kick us out of ketosis for a couple of hours.

Zhen
07-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Eh I'm not an expert so I got nothing relevant for the topic except if someone figures it out, that's pretty kickass.

Anyways Nick I was just wondering how your results were so far with your 5 lbs of fat a week loss (lots of walking idea). I don't know when I'll get my calipers from this site's store, but when I do I'll be willing to try out your idea, if I can at least see SOME kind of evidence (just one case is good, hope for 5 lbs of fat gone a week is pretty insane ya?). Thx in advance bud :).

Nick666
07-21-2004, 06:06 AM
Hi Zhen,

My system for 4+lbs/week has worked well for me. But since I'm tired of being carb depleted I am trying carb cycling for this cut.

I read that you can stay in a mild state of ketosis with up to about 100g of carbs a day so, so that's what I'm trying.

I've been cutting for 2 weeks now. The first 7 days I did as usual except that I didn't walk as much. I lost about 3 lbs with very little muscle loss. Then I did a one day carb up. Then 5 days low carb with about 80g of carbs per day. The first 3 days I lost a **** load of fat, then it stopped completly, and it seems I've lost some muscle in just 2 days.. GRRR... Don't know WTF is going on.. maybe a problem with leptin or whatever. I did my carbup yesterday and I'm gonna try 3 days low carb see what it does..

I've lost muscle although I've been training like a mother****er.. 4 full body workouts in 6 days.. it's true that i'm at the end of my cycle and have been using the same loads for some time, so I'm probably conditionned now.. anyways something has ****ed up, but I don't know what.. AAAAAAAHHH

Zhen
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Hah hope you figure it out soon man :). Just to clarify, you were doing a ckd during your original cut right? Not Atkins?

Nick666
07-21-2004, 01:49 PM
I was doing a TKD.