PDA

View Full Version : 13 Weeks Out: Training



Beast
04-19-2004, 04:48 AM
Monday
Deadlift
455 X 4
465 X 4
475 X 3, 2

Incline Bench Press
215 X 6
225 X 4, 3
205 X 6

Weighted Pull-Up
25 X 6, 5, 4, 4

Weighted Dips
50 X 6, 5, 4, 4

Military Press
185 X 4
135 X 6, 6, 6

Barbell Shrug
315 X 6, 4, 4
225 X 4

It was HOT in the gym today. It was 70+ degrees at 7 AM. Time to break out the shorts. Besides that, today was unbelievable. I felt very strong, except on Military Press as my shoulders were dead.

Wheelies
04-19-2004, 09:53 AM
Good deadlifts...

Demorak
04-19-2004, 11:51 AM
185 x4 is still damn good after that much work!

Beast
04-19-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm loving this Clean Cardio! Today was my best session yet

20 set X 3 reps with 15 second rests

I was only going to do 15 sets, but I think the extra GO I had today (I don't usually have a pre-cardio serving) gave me some added power.

Zen_Lifter
04-19-2004, 08:14 PM
derek, do you think its better to have your carb up day on a strength day (your low rep day) or a hypertrophy day (higher rep day)?

Beast
04-20-2004, 04:44 AM
I would have one on each of the days you train your weak point.

It is all a personal preference. I feel more texed after a strength day.

Beast
04-20-2004, 04:49 AM
Tuesday- 4 sets
Squats
395 X 4
405 X 4
415 X 4, 2
***I am going for my old PR of 425 X 4 next week and I WILL get it!

Barbell Curl
135 X 6, 6, 4, 4

Stiff Leg Deadlif
335 X 6, 5, 4, 3

Close Grip Bench
225 X 4, 4, 4, 3

Donkey Calf Raise
500 X 6, 6, 6, 6

I was dripping with sweat today. This was one of my most intense workouts ever. I'm gonna go for my PR in squats next week, then everything after that is new territory.

TheSplat
04-20-2004, 08:58 AM
how far down do you squat? If that's Ass to the floor, it's insane.

Beast
04-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by TheSplat
how far down do you squat? If that's Ass to the floor, it's insane.

To the floor of course.

Wheelies
04-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Beast
To the floor of course.

How wide of a stance is this, the only way I can go to the floor is with a close stance, which makes it very hard to keep my back upright when using decent weight. It also hurts my knees...

Beast
04-21-2004, 07:00 AM
My feet are alittle wider than shoulder width.


Wed- Elliptical Sprints
12-15 sec sprint with 30 second rest X 15

Wheelies
04-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Beast
My feet are alittle wider than shoulder width.


Wed- Elliptical Sprints
12-15 sec sprint with 30 second rest X 15

Well..guess my body isnt built for that, no way I can use that close, i squat like a powerlifter, onlyl way its comfortable../.

c_s
04-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Yeah, it's more comfortable for me like that too. Plus it's safer and better on your knees.

sword chucks
04-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Wow, Derek, those are some awesome lifts.

How come you drop so much weight in between sets though? You went from 315 to 225 on shrugs. I usually only need to drop 10-20 lbs at most from a failure set to the next which is why I was wondering about it.

And, good luck in hitting your PR next week. You will definately get 425 x 4. Which, btw, is unbelievable for ass-to-grass squats (I think its the highest I've seen on the boards), so keep it up!

Beast
04-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sword chucks
Wow, Derek, those are some awesome lifts.

How come you drop so much weight in between sets though? You went from 315 to 225 on shrugs. I usually only need to drop 10-20 lbs at most from a failure set to the next which is why I was wondering about it.

And, good luck in hitting your PR next week. You will definately get 425 x 4. Which, btw, is unbelievable for ass-to-grass squats (I think its the highest I've seen on the boards), so keep it up!

I was trying something new during that set. If you look at every other set of almost every other exercise, you see I don't drop like that.

Heisman
04-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Bro, if you start with 425 instead of doing working sets of 395 and 405 or whatever then you will probably get more then 4 reps.

I don't know how that affects the way you normally work, but you could just start with 425 (after warming up of course) and then do sets of 410 or whatever.

That's really good for ass to the grass by the way.

Beast
04-21-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Heisman
Bro, if you start with 425 instead of doing working sets of 395 and 405 or whatever then you will probably get more then 4 reps.

I don't know how that affects the way you normally work, but you could just start with 425 (after warming up of course) and then do sets of 410 or whatever.

That's really good for ass to the grass by the way.

Ok Bro,
If you notice, when I came back (15 weeks out) I used 365 X 4pounds. The next week I did 375 X 4 then 385 X 4 then 395 X 4. This week I did 395 X 4, 405 X 4, 415 X 4. Notice anything? I increased the weight I used once I got the previous weight for 4 reps. There is a reason behind this. Next week I will do 425. When I lifted yesterday, I did not know if I could get 405, let alone 425.

superman101
04-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Beast,
are you simply just increasing the weight each week and not going to failure?Trying to work towards a goal? LIke Layne?

davidstyles
04-21-2004, 10:07 PM
AHHHHHHHH... WTF is going on here!

Beast
04-22-2004, 05:10 AM
The point of the program is not to go all out to failure every time. It is progression. If I was squating 425 EVERY week to failure, I would burn out quickly. This is not like Layne is doing as he did not invent it. It is called periodization. Most powerlifting and olympic lifters use it (though they calculate out % of maxes and increase either linearly or another way).

The routine I will be doing for the next 4 weeks will have a different approach as you will see in a couple weeks.

I wasn't trying to get smart Heisman, but it seems like a lot of people are questioning what I am doing as it I am stupid.

Deadlifts then squats the next day? You're overtraining.
Why did you drop so much weight? I don't have to drop that much weight.
etc.

Beast
04-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Thursday (6 sets X 6-9 reps)
Reverse Grip Bent Over Row
215 X 9, 8, 6
185 X 9, 6, 6

Incline DB Press
95 X 9, 6
90 X 6, 6
80 X 9, 6

1-Arm Pulldown
100 X 9, 6
90 X 9, 6
80 X 9, 6

Cable Crossover
100 X 9, 6
90 X 8, 6
80 X 9, 6

Chain Lateral
40 X 6, 6, 4
30 X 6, 6, 6
***These were done a few reps shy of failure.

Behind Back Smith Shrug
235 X 9, 8, 7, 6, 6, 6

Rear Cable Lateral
60 X 9, 6, 6
50 X 9, 6, 6

Incline DB Shrug
70 X 9, 9, 9, 6, 6, 6

Workout Length: 75-80 minutes

I can't believe I maintained by intensity/endurance throughout the entire workout. The highlight of today's workout were the shrugs. Now it is time to enjoy my oatmeal :D

Wheelies
04-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Whats the benefit of doing 1 arm pulldowns in your opinion?

Beast
04-22-2004, 06:34 AM
They allow you to work each side independently.

Wheelies
04-22-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Beast
They allow you to work each side independently.

Obviously, then why not take lunges or squats then...

Beast
04-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Wheelies
Obviously, then why not take lunges or squats then...

All in good time, obviously.

Wheelies
04-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Beast
All in good time, obviously.

Obviously...good luck....

Beast
04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Thank you

Zen_Lifter
04-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Beast
Thursday (6 sets X 6-9 reps)
Reverse Grip Bent Over Row
215 X 9, 8, 6
185 X 9, 6, 6

Incline DB Press
95 X 9, 6
90 X 6, 6
80 X 9, 6

1-Arm Pulldown
100 X 9, 6
90 X 9, 6
80 X 9, 6

Cable Crossover
100 X 9, 6
90 X 8, 6
80 X 9, 6

Chain Lateral
40 X 6, 6, 4
30 X 6, 6, 6
***These were done a few reps shy of failure.

Behind Back Smith Shrug
235 X 9, 8, 7, 6, 6, 6

Rear Cable Lateral
60 X 9, 6, 6
50 X 9, 6, 6

Incline DB Shrug
70 X 9, 9, 9, 6, 6, 6

Workout Length: 75-80 minutes

I can't believe I maintained by intensity/endurance throughout the entire workout. The highlight of today's workout were the shrugs. Now it is time to enjoy my oatmeal :D

wow 48 sets!, so its apparent your cycling volume here...how high is volume going to get at the peak of this cycle? or is this it? follow it up with a week off? or taper it off again?

Beast
04-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Next week will be the peak, then it will change.

Beast
04-23-2004, 05:03 AM
Friday
A1. Hack Squat
360 X 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

A2. Seated Calf Raise
135 X 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9

B1. Leg Extension
200 X 9, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6

B2. Slanted Calf Raise
300 X 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

C1. Single Leg Curl
100 X 9, 9, 8, 6
75 X 6, 6

C2. Machine Preacher Curl
90 X 9, 6
75 X 6, 6
50 X 9, 6

D1. Seated Leg Curl
120 X 9, 6
100 X 9, 6
80 X 9, 6

D2. V-Bar Pressdown
90 X 9, 6
70 X 9, 6
50 X 9, 6

E1. 1-Arm cable Hammer Curl
70 X 9, 8, 7, 6
60 X 9***

E2. 1-Arm Cable Pressdown
70 X 9, 6
60 X 9, 6
50 X 9***

***I had the larger pump in my life today in my arms. They were honestly so pumped that I could not do my final set on Cable hammer curls and pressdowns. I think this was due to me having basically no rest time between sets. I loved it :D

At about the 5th set of hack squats and seated calf raise I got an extra boost of energy. My guess is the GO started taking effect (or at least highest peak value in my blood) at that time. After that, it was non-stop. As I mentioned, I did not much much if any rest time between sets (I do a set of A1 then a set of A2 then back to A1 etc.).

Workout Length: 75 minutes

SavesTheMuscle
04-23-2004, 02:58 PM
that sounds INTENSE.

Dripping with sweat? :D


So you just had rest when changing from machines right?

Beast
04-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I "rested" when walking to the next machine

Beast
04-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Saturday Sprints
10 X 10 sec (50 sec rest)

Wheelies
04-24-2004, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Beast
Saturday Sprints
10 X 10 sec (50 sec rest)

I notice that you sometimes do 15 X 15 and then sometimes 10 X 10. Is there any logic behind this, or do you just go by how you feel that day?

Beast
04-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Sprints on track are 10 seconds

Sprints on Elliptical machine are 15 seconds

Wheelies
04-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Beast
Sprints on track are 10 seconds

Sprints on Elliptical machine are 15 seconds

Ahhh...which do you like better?

Beast
04-24-2004, 09:43 AM
I like Elliptical sprints better because there is less impact on your joints, but I feel sprints on the track are more effective. I am thinking about doing sprints in a feild instead of on a track for that reason.

James5567
04-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey derek are u looking at a watch or counting to ten for those sprints LOL when i do it i hate looking down at the watch, but at the same time i dont want to count..

Beast
04-24-2004, 11:19 AM
I just measured out a distance which takes me 10 secs to run. Now I just use that distance everytime. I don't shoot for exactly 10 seconds everytime, I just run the distance which gave me about 10 seconds originally. I wouldn't bother looking down at your watch while sprints of you can mark out a set distance.

Man Of Steal
04-25-2004, 05:45 PM
Looking strong Derek especially in the squats. Best of luck to you in the next 13 weeks. By the way, would it be possible for you to do another Bulking Up journal on this site? I loved reading those.

superman101
04-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Beast
Next week will be the peak, then it will change.

Are you doing a loading and then deloading phases?

Beast
04-25-2004, 06:13 PM
You'll have to wait and see :D