PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal the day of the contest?

austinjt
05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
A lot of people talk about having yams or brown rice the day of the contest. Is oatmeal a good choice? And if so, how much water do you put in it. Should I just eat dry oats?

Captain Sagara
05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Dry oats suck...

austinjt
05-02-2007, 11:57 AM
that's very informative. Thank you.

cnock
05-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I would say trying to choke down dry oats with already lower water intake would suck and if you did it with water there would be more of a chance of holding water. I personnaly wouldnt eat oatmael due to the fact that it bloats me more than yams or rice so for that fact alone i wouldnt but if it doesnt affect you in that way then its irrelevant. In laynes giude i think there was more choices for carbing up. Sorry i couldnt be of more help than this its all i could think of.

bAby norAA
05-02-2007, 12:44 PM
i love eating dry oats, i just sit down with some in a 'solo' cup and much on them for a while. I can easily get down 1/2c in about 15 min without trying too hard. Just have something near by like a water.

y not add some to your protein shake? its a great way to get them down.

Beefcake Girl
05-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I eat oats the day of my show but I eat them dry, NO WATER! It isn't that bad....and honestly the day of a show, I don't care about the taste, I just want the effect of the foods I eat. Oats are a good choice for most people I think :) And I don't think people really have shakes the day of a show...it is mostly whole foods that day :)

I eat oats to fill out...and usually I will have some Cream of Rice. Depending on how I look I will eat yams as well but yams tend to bloat me. Just as someone said though, it is all about your personal tolerances and reactions to foods. I am very carb tolerant but yams in any amount over 4 oz just make my stomach hurt....so I have to be careful! It seems like when you are that dieted down and your dry out is that calculated, every little thing effects you :) Experiement ahead of time if possible. Or have a trainer write your program...thank goodness I have that option. My trainer writes every last detail out for me so my food timing produces the right effect. I literally change by the hour leading into a show :)

Hope this helped a little!!

musclemass22
05-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Oats are like my favorite food in the world. I eat them right up to the show. However, I think I recall someone saying (Layne?) that oats are not the preferred source for your carb-up due to too much fiber in them and the possiblility of some bloating. I love them too much to cut them out though

The Brotherhood
05-02-2007, 03:38 PM
That is correct. Best avoided on show day due to the high fiber content.

jauce
05-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Using Layne's article as a guide, you shouldn't need to worry about water in your oatmeal... since Layne says don't cut water. Fiber might be a reason to cut oats though.

austinjt
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
thanks guys. didn't really think about the fiber. That is a good point. i will prob. go with just yams to be sure.