PDA

View Full Version : Shock Sets, Cheat Reps...what do u think?

Fatal Error
11-21-2001, 04:16 AM
i don't know about u guys, but i have found cheat reps give u more mass than anything else. Say, for barbell curls, i will do 12 reps with 100 lbs in strict form, and then move onto a mad weight and pump out 5 reps (in terrible form), maybe do another shock set and then back to strict form to 'cap' it off.

Anyone else found cheating useful? I think it is essential for making big gains.

Tim
11-21-2001, 09:43 AM
I cheat, but I never do a whole set with bad form. Say I want to curl a certain weight for 8 reps. I might only be able to get 5 or 6 with perfect form, and I cheat for the rest. I think cheating can be benificial if you don't hurt yourself doing it. You're essentially making the weight a little bit easier to lift when you are cheating. I think cheating for the last few reps is no different than having a spotter assist you with a few forced reps at the end of a set.

BSMNT732
11-21-2001, 09:50 AM
Arnold said cheat sets worked for him. Tim's right though, i would never do a whole set with bad form, only the last few reps i want to push out.

Dorian
11-21-2001, 10:18 AM
yep tim is correct I do cheating sometimes myself and only the last few.

Fatal Error
11-21-2001, 05:30 PM
fair enough, but i'll just let u know that jay cutler uses cheats all the time, he says it himself, just visit flexonline.com. Even Arnie said it doesn't matter how you get it up, just get it up!

Also, the weight u use to cheat feels lighter the more u use it, so u do actually end up using the weight for reps in strict form eventually!

cb_83
11-23-2001, 02:47 AM
Don't cheat or use explosive movements, it ALWAYS ends up in injury, sooner or later. Maintain good form throughout the set.

John G
11-23-2001, 05:11 AM
nah not always...there' an art to cheating, you just gotta get good at it...

but i agree, it CAN lead to injury, it certainly will if you're careless...

chrisdavy
09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
i don't know about u guys, but i have found cheat reps give u more mass than anything else. Say, for barbell curls, i will do 12 reps with 100 lbs in strict form, and then move onto a mad weight and pump out 5 reps (in terrible form), maybe do another shock set and then back to strict form to 'cap' it off.

Anyone else found cheating useful? I think it is essential for making big gains.

yea to a degree. ill do like a set of 8 perfect curls. then like a set of sixteen fast as hell with heavy ass dumbbells.

chesterprynne
09-29-2013, 04:06 PM
yea to a degree. ill do like a set of 8 perfect curls. then like a set of sixteen fast as hell with heavy ass dumbbells.

strong username to my brother and I's names ratio

MetilHed
09-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Strong 12 year bump.

heinstein
09-29-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.simplyshredded.com/beyond-failure-5-weider-principles-that-allow-you-to-train-past-failure-accelerate-muscle-gains.html