PDA

View Full Version : low back pain

mill_z
04-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Hey peeps. I've had nagging low back issues for some time now and it's killing my squat, deads, and BB rows. I've been trying to work through it, for the most part by lowing the weight I'm lifting on each one, but I've nearly had to drop the weight in half of what I was doing. For example, I was squating around 290 for 5x5 and now 185 is extremely challenging. Is there anything I can do to get over this back problem. These are some of my favorite exercises and it's killing my gains by not being able to move the weight!

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks!

nitrored
04-11-2007, 07:39 AM
yeah this probably doesnt belong in the Injury Recovery And Prevention section :mad:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

papi93
04-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Many think that all you need to do is posterior chain work (deadlifts, reverse hypers, etc.) and you can ignore trunk work. That is not the case. "According to sprint coach, Charlie Francis, an overemphasis on exercises such as good mornings or deadlifts can result in weakness of the quadratus lumborum muscle which is considered by some to be the most important stabilizer of the spine! This will lead to an unbalanced core. If this is indeed true, then a variety of side bridges, bends, and flexions should cure the problem."

Oh_Riginal
04-11-2007, 07:42 AM
I would seek advice from a medical practitioner, or go to a chiropractor at the very least.

Also, you should take a couple weeks off from anything that puts pressure on your lower back. THat means cut back on the squats and DLs. I think you can work around the injury and still retain muscle mass, but I would make sure your lower back gets some much needed rest.

EDIT: Also, think about this. What's more detrimental, taking a few weeks off, or never being able to squat or deadlift again because you were too stubborn to listen to your body?

mill_z
04-11-2007, 07:51 AM
So say I take some time off from squats, DL's, and Rows. What would be the best substitutes for adding mass to my back and legs. My legs still need a lot of work and I don't want to lose what I've been getting with the compound movements.