PDA

View Full Version : Was there ever an ectomorph in the IFBB?

jino
02-04-2004, 01:54 AM
Was there ever an IFBB bodybuilder who was an ectomorph? This by the way doesn't include some of those lightweight divisions you see in ESPN, but only those heavyweights who compete in the Mr. Olympia.

swoledog
02-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Frank Zane ???

jino
02-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by swoledog
Frank Zane ???

I think you're right but he was more between the ecto-meso range in my opinion.

Tony B
02-04-2004, 06:19 PM
ZAne is ecto in bone structure

AngryBudha
02-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Flex Wheeler is an ecto.

Its_PainFuLL
02-15-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by AngryBudha
Flex Wheeler is an ecto.

then that would make ronnie an ecto too. right.

USMuscle9403
02-15-2004, 09:20 AM
Flex WAS an ecto. He also had superhuman genetics. You can be an ecto and have amazing genetics at the same time.
Allen

Mighty Mikey G
02-15-2004, 09:53 AM
There aren't too many guys anywhere that are just pure ectos. Flex is an ecto-meso.

Vayne_E
02-15-2004, 02:33 PM
ronnie coleman was a pure ecto. J/K. lol.

Dr_Funk
02-15-2004, 03:41 PM
I personally think ecto-meso's look best anyways.

That could just be cause i am one, but whatever :D

jay81
02-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by USMuscle9403
Flex WAS an ecto. He also had superhuman genetics. You can be an ecto and have amazing genetics at the same time.
Allen

You can't be an ectomorph and have amazing bodybuilding genetics at the same time, unless you mean things such as a tendency towards leaness and appearance ( smaller joints making you appear larger ). Apart from that though ectomorphs have difficulty putting on muscle, a far smaller genetic size limit and often not very well proportioned ( naturally sunken chest, narrow shoulders ect ). On the other hand it could be quite right however to deem an ecto-meso as having amazing genetics.

USMuscle9403
02-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by jay81
You can't be an ectomorph and have amazing bodybuilding genetics at the same time, unless you mean things such as a tendency towards leaness and appearance ( smaller joints making you appear larger ). Apart from that though ectomorphs have difficulty putting on muscle, a far smaller genetic size limit and often not very well proportioned ( naturally sunken chest, narrow shoulders ect ). On the other hand it could be quite right however to deem an ecto-meso as having amazing genetics.

That's really what I meant. Hardly anyone is a pure this or pure that. There were only a handful of bodybuilders that were PURE mesomorphs. Almost all had some sort of other bodytype mixed in. I'm an endo-meso myself. Great genetics, but fat gain comes along with it a little more than I'd like:(
Allen

RACKITUP
02-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Everyone is made all of varying somtotypes, eg ronnie coleman and arnie have ecto joints. Flex Wheeler was 98ibs i believe when he began working out, extreme genetics!

jino
02-19-2004, 06:16 PM
I hate genetics.. I wish everyone was just born with the same bodybuilding potential, don't you?

USMuscle9403
02-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by jino
I hate genetics.. I wish everyone was just born with the same bodybuilding potential, don't you?

Then it wouldn't be any fun.

cowboys3356
02-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Frank Zane is the greatest bodybuilder of all time but I guess that really isn't the question...or is it?!?!?!

Realist
02-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by jino
Was there ever an IFBB bodybuilder who was an ectomorph? This by the way doesn't include some of those lightweight divisions you see in ESPN, but only those heavyweights who compete in the Mr. Olympia.

I thought there were no divisions in the pros. Everyone competed at the same level.

SouLInvader
07-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Genetics sucks and are the #1 factor not only in bodybuilding, but with everyrhing in life

TheOCkid04
07-16-2005, 02:25 AM
dexter is definitly an ecto, it took him a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time to put some size on, and i think he's basically reached his limit as far as dramatic changes in size.

SouLInvader
07-16-2005, 02:54 AM
im sorry to tell u that but dexster genes are superb, first of all he is an exto-meso and it look like more meso, second of all he was always huge..

AmateurWrestler
07-16-2005, 03:16 AM
Genetics sucks and are the #1 factor not only in bodybuilding, but with everyrhing in life

:rolleyes:

Fridrik
07-16-2005, 03:42 AM
Ectomorph = anorectic skinny

Ecto/meso = As fatless as ectomorph, but two times bigger

SouLInvader
07-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Ectomorph = anorectic skinny

Ecto/meso = As fatless as ectomorph, but two times bigger

they both suck, im an ecto-meso and i still suck cause its more ecto than meso
but if its more meso thats a different story

SouLInvader
07-16-2005, 03:48 AM
Look at this idiot AmateurWrestler he neg repped me because i said that
man u going to get a neg rep urself

Fridrik
07-16-2005, 03:51 AM
they both suck, im an ecto-meso and i still suck cause its more ecto than meso
but if its more meso thats a different story

.................................................. .............. HUH?!!!

Anyway, ecto/meso is the best, actually. Ecto/ meso tends to recover fast and pack the muscle, and be prety much in shape year round, ectomorph recovers fast but takes an awfull lot of food for the metabolism.
Even they can overtrain/over do training if training too much, but they can train more and more often than a meso.

If you're only meso, you can't recover nearly as fast as ecto or ecto/meso and over train if training 30mins too much, and even so, meso packs the fat very easily and has a hard time to be in shape year round, while ecto and ecto/meso are in shape year round.

SouLInvader
07-16-2005, 04:18 AM

Anyway, ecto/meso is the best, actually. Ecto/ meso tends to recover fast and pack the muscle, and be prety much in shape year round, ectomorph recovers fast but takes an awfull lot of food for the metabolism.
Even they can overtrain/over do training if training too much, but they can train more and more often than a meso.

If you're only meso, you can't recover nearly as fast as ecto or ecto/meso and over train if training 30mins too much, and even so, meso packs the fat very easily and has a hard time to be in shape year round, while ecto and ecto/meso are in shape year round.

so why i suck? and dont tell me its my training or diet i just dont buy it anymore? i train like a hardass and diet like a pro yet i look like a nerd that didnt lift in his life

Fridrik
07-16-2005, 06:37 AM
so why i suck? and dont tell me its my training or diet i just dont buy it anymore? i train like a hardass and diet like a pro yet i look like a nerd that didnt lift in his life

Well maby you're having a bad training month? And you're saying you're having everything in order, but I'm sure you don't. Try eating 30'g of protein every 2h's on a training day, train major body parts like leggs and back in their own day etc, you know, simple stuff like that.
Train like, 2-3 weeks hard, and then take one week lightly, you know you just go to the gym and take simple feel sets to maintain and go to stair climb machine in the morning and at night for 45mins.

I once trained my arms, my chest and my abs in the same day, two times a week. That's way too much, no matter are you a super ectomorph, or a super meso, it doesn't matter. Too much is allways too much.

TheOCkid04
07-16-2005, 11:31 AM
im sorry to tell u that but dexster genes are superb, first of all he is an exto-meso and it look like more meso, second of all he was always huge..

dexter hasnt allways been huge...

TNCEKM
07-16-2005, 11:35 AM
There aren't too many guys anywhere that are just pure ectos. Flex is an ecto-meso.
Bingo..

A pure ecto has a ridiculous metabolism that basically just causes the body to eat itself.

You can, however, have an ecto frame and super-human-meso building capabilities.

He was ecto in frame (sorta, not really...dude was broad) and a super-meso in muscle building ability.

TNCEKM
07-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Nah, meso can go either way...lose or gain fat easy. They tend to gain fat easier than ectos, but the same holds true for muscle.

The one advantage ectos have over mesos is their waist. Meso's tend to have a mid-range sized waist.

I have a buddy who is ecto meso...this guy is ecto everywhere but his huge ass shoulders. He's got a 28" waist at 5'11" and his shoulders are about 24" wide. But, he doesn't gain muscle any better than the average guy...

BodybuildingPro
07-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Frank Zane ???

I would say so. At most he was ectomeso, but that would probably be pushing it.

nin10dude
07-16-2005, 12:47 PM
You can't be a good bodybuilder without broad shoulders. Therefore, there has to be a mesomorphic component to any and all bodybuilder's gene pool. Zane was ecto-meso because he had small bones and muscle size (ecto), but perfect proportions for bodybuilding (meso).

chan_ho_nam
07-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Melvin Anthony...there was a pic of him in his teens...he looked like he weighed 90lbs....again, probably ecto-meso

Defiant1
07-16-2005, 03:43 PM
The fact that they are in the IFBB basically eliminates any ultra-ectos being there. A true ectomorph simply would not have the bone structure/muscle bellies/metabolism to become a high placing professional bodybuilder.

When people say "he was an ecto" (like of Frank Zane) they mean relatively.

Ditto strict Endos.

That being said, because of drugs, there are many more ecto-mesos than their would be normally. Ecto-mesos can keep their "lines" while pure mesos and endo-mesos can get ultra blocky and unaesthetic from heavy drug use.

BB is 4 life :)
07-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Pure meso is the best look you can have for bodybuilding, they have small joints, small waists, wide clavicles and big, thick, full muscles!!!!

Tom platz was a meso through and through, and i believe i read somewhere that his legs were pretty good............. :D

jay81
07-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Pure meso is the best look you can have for bodybuilding, they have small joints, small waists, wide clavicles and big, thick, full muscles!!!!

Tom platz was a meso through and through, and i believe i read somewhere that his legs were pretty good............. :D

Ecto-meso's have small joints ... pure mesomorphs are large framed.

Defiant1
07-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Ecto-meso's have small joints ... pure mesomorphs are large framed.

Yep. Based on cell predominance in the zygote:

Ecto-nervous system
Endo-organs
Meso-muscle and bone

jay81
07-16-2005, 04:21 PM

Ecto-nervous system
Endo-organs
Meso-muscle and bone

Smart man. :p

TheOCkid04
07-16-2005, 04:23 PM
platz? looked more like an endo meso to me.

chan_ho_nam
07-16-2005, 05:08 PM
platz? looked more like an endo meso to me.

I'd agree with that, his conditioning was good but not great, and he had more of a thick blocky structure.

tranceboy
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
i love the way ecto morphs try to boost there ego by making bull**** up like ''ectos recovering faster'' w/e in fact recovery has nothing to do with genotype it is a factor of nuerological efficiency

htownsb
07-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I kinda want to say Serge Nubret by looking at his sloping shoulders and small forearms (his wrists are prolly 6.5 inches max). I think Larry Scott is the closest u can get. He had a narrow frame and small joints. He is the perfect example of a well-worked arm on an ecto frame.

BOWIE
07-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Frank Zane is the greatest bodybuilder of all time but I guess that really isn't the question...or is it?!?!?!
Amen brotha!
He really had the perfect body in the sense that he could be Mr. Olympia but no be so large that it would repulse women.
And to all the Ectos who think it sux to have a small bone structure. Take a long look at pics of Flex. Once those muscles grow they look so wicked on top of your small joints. You end up looking more impressive than meso's who are even 10 lbs heavier than you.

RipedRX
07-17-2005, 01:07 AM
well we Ecto's have the genetics that god gave us to be the Easy's shredded while we still can eat so much more junk food then anyone else,and still looked ripped, adding size is when it get harder, but i notcied Meso are usually short people, Ecto's tend to be Tall, and we own your asses on that little hercules hahahahah not to mention we get more the chicks also:)

TNCEKM
07-17-2005, 01:32 AM
well we Ecto's have the genetics that god gave us to be the Easy's shredded while we still can eat so much more junk food then anyone else,and still looked ripped, adding size is when it get harder, but i notcied Meso are usually short people, Ecto's tend to be Tall, and we own your asses on that little hercules hahahahah not to mention we get more the chicks also:)
Whatever makes you sleep at night skinny :D

NL_lionelski
07-17-2005, 01:44 AM

Yeah you're totally right man. I really hate myself for being meso-endo. I wish I'd be a plain-endo in stead. At least than I would get all the chicks with my ripped abs and flat chest LOL.

Defiant1
07-17-2005, 09:45 AM
i love the way ecto morphs try to boost there ego by making bull**** up like ''ectos recovering faster'' w/e in fact recovery has nothing to do with genotype it is a factor of nuerological efficiency

Not to be a ass, but there is something to be said for fast recovery of ectos...

Again, origin of somatotypes is related to predominance of cells in the zygote:

Endos: internal organs
Mesos: Bone and muscle
Ectos: nervous system and brain.

You can probably see where I am going.

You are correct that recovery is LARGELY a neurological event (though if one stays away from failure it becomes a muscular/glandular event), but part of ectomorphy is an efficient nervous system.

You know the term "Egghead"? Refers to ectomorphs.

Of course there are other factors too, but there is a correlation. :)

Defiant1
07-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Yeah you're totally right man. I really hate myself for being meso-endo. I wish I'd be a plain-endo in stead. At least than I would get all the chicks with my ripped abs and flat chest LOL.

If you were an endo-you would be fat and pear shaped...... ;)

Regarding this, and perceived "gifts", one of the things that is cool about people is that every physical "benefit" has a "disadvantage".

I just posted this on another thread.

Like you said, ectos then not to be thick. But they get ripped easy.

Large joints=strength, but slow
Small joints=weak, but fast

Long arm=good leverage, but weak power

Endos-pack size on fast but have a hard time getting ripped.
Even true Mesos-large joints make them look "blocky".

You get the idea

SouLInvader
07-17-2005, 03:05 PM

Ecto-nervous system
Endo-organs
Meso-muscle and bone

Endo - digestive system

Number69
07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
It is facecious to simply classify bodybuilders into 3 or 5 categories - there are 81 combinations, and any number of these can produce an Olympian physique.

For instance, look at some of the Mr Olympias - Dorian was an endo-meso but made use of his amazing potential to pack on muscle and with a strict diet and intense training dominated condition wise too.

Then there's Zane, and although I don't like his physique, I can admire how he built his physique on such a small bone structure. He was though an ecto meso in many ways.

Tom Platz and Casey Viator are probably the most mesomorphic physiques, howver neither has a Sandow to boast...

To be a top bodybuilder takes a few lucky and odd combinations. For instance, small joints with large muscle bellies can;t be all that natural, yet it is what many bodybuilders must possess. On the other hand, those with larger bone structures must be able to pack on immense amounts of muscle to cover this up. Atwood has a huge waist but can you imagine his clavicle width on Melvin Anthony? That would be scary... Most of us have some favourable traits and a few of us even have a decent amount. You can;t change your genetics but you can stop analysing what you've got and train and diet to bring out the best physique you can...

Defiant1
07-18-2005, 01:04 PM
It is facecious to simply classify bodybuilders into 3 or 5 categories - there are 81 combinations, and any number of these can produce an Olympian physique.

True, but all lean towards mesomorphy.

For instance, look at some of the Mr Olympias - Dorian was an endo-meso but made use of his amazing potential to pack on muscle and with a strict diet and intense training dominated condition wise too.

I'm not sure I follow. I don't see any evidence of endomorphy, especially looking at his early photos.

Then there's Zane, and although I don't like his physique, I can admire how he built his physique on such a small bone structure. He was though an ecto meso in many ways.

I agree, but strongly mesomorphic. Check out his early photos.

Tom Platz and Casey Viator are probably the most mesomorphic physiques, howver neither has a Sandow to boast...

Agree. I would add Mentzer and Chet Yorton, also Yates. Because of drug use, as I mentioned before, pure mesos are moved away from slightly because of excessive blockiness.

Endo - digestive system

Actually, from the endodermal layer of cells in the zygote-internal organs (of which the digestive system is part of. Sometimes called the "alimentary" tract)

:)

Number69
07-18-2005, 02:38 PM
(Re Dorian) I'm not sure I follow. I don't see any evidence of endomorphy, especially looking at his early photos.

Put him beside Flex and you'll see what I mean, he had a bigger bone structure and a typical endomorphic trait - huge calves. (Just look at how many fat people have decent calves). Granted he leaned more towards mesomorphy but the early pics of anyone are misleading. A 16 year old's waist will be smaller than when he is 22 year old simply because of the way we grow, even if he does not grow any taller...

Defiant1
07-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Put him beside Flex and you'll see what I mean, he had a bigger bone structure and a typical endomorphic trait - huge calves. (Just look at how many fat people have decent calves). Granted he leaned more towards mesomorphy but the early pics of anyone are misleading. A 16 year old's waist will be smaller than when he is 22 year old simply because of the way we grow, even if he does not grow any taller...

I don't agree. Large bone structure is a Mesomorphic characteristic. Endomorphs can have large bones, but it is not a given. In fact, a true endomorph will have medium sized bones. Flex exhibits a little more ectomorphy. Maybe that is causing the confusion?

Large calves are also a mesomorphic characteristic. A true endomorph will have tapering limbs. Though I agree many endomorphic looking people have large calves.

Remember when evaluating, the somatotypes come from predominance of cells in the zygote, ectoderm (nerve and brain)-ectomorph, endoderm (internal organs/digestive tract)-endomorph, mesoderm (bone and muscle) mesomorph. So any kind of "bone" or "muscle" characteristics are going to be mesomorphic.

I have seen MANY mischaracterizations of these especially on the web and in magazine articles (womens magazines butcher them, usually making them "large, medium, or small" or "skinny, medium, fat". I don't blame you for being a little confused.

:)