PDA

View Full Version : JLE's fitness quest 2004

jle
01-25-2004, 11:48 AM
I have met my original goal set on October 23, 2003. I am 170 lbs size 12. In 12 weeks I lost 32 pounds and went from a size 18 to a size 12. I made through Thanksgiving and Christmas and still lost. I am so pleased with my progress and ready for the next challenge in 2004 - So here goes...

My new goals are as follows:
1. Max an Army PT test by 5/30/04
80+ sit-ups / 2 min
50+ push-ups/ 2 min
2 mile run under 16:30 (this will be tough, I'm not fast)
2. Lose 5% more Body Fat. Desirable range of 20-22%
3. Gain strenghth and definition all over
4 Maintain and improve overall fitness level
5. Complete Personal Training Certification by 10/04

My training is working, but I feel like I am over doing it, so I am going to intergrate more "intense" workouts and more rest time.
(need to sleep more). I'm pretty happy with my upper body, (except for my shrunken breasts) and want to see more results below the navel. I'm genetically predisposed to the pear shape with heavy hips and thighs. I know I may not be able to change my basic shape completely, but I can certainly make improvements.

I have access to the wt room at the school where I work -dumbbells, bars w/ plates, bench, preacher curl station, bike, and elliptical.

At home I have workout videos, elastic bands - lt, med, heavy, fitness ball, lateral thigh trainer, nordic track, dumbells 3,5,8,10 and a Firm fanny lifter step

Nutrition is a complex issue since I live and work in a remote Eskimo village in the Arctic (Alaska). All food (hell, everygthing)has to be flown in by plane. Produce is very hard to come by. Food is very expensive, I pay $5.00 for a carton of 18 eggs. I'm looking to find a more economical way to help in the food/nutrition department. I do have a freezer full of moose meat, which is very lean, and here in about a month I can go fishing for shee fish, which is a white fish, similar to trout or halibut. For carbs, I usaully eat rice (white and brown), potatoes, and oatmeal. I treat myself to a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter ( I need to get the natural kind), and add whole flax seed to my oatmeal. I use a little bit of olive oil in my cooking. I try to eat as much veggies as I can (frozen) broccoli, stir-fry type, green beans, and spinach. I usually eat one piece of fruit per day, apple, banana, grapefruit. I drink 1-2 gallons H2o daily and stay away from sodium, sugar, white flour I'm shooting for 2000 Kcal, and need to up my prot to get to 40-40-20. I'm planning payday cheat-days where I can have treat mid and end of month.

I am trying to become more faithful to my training and eating log. I developed a new one yesterday. I use fitday.com to analyze what's going on.

Anyway that is my situation. I will be posting update and pics periodically. Here is my current pic.

Emma-Leigh
01-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Welcome :)

Journalling is a great way to keep on track with things - I look forward to reading about your journey!

Good luck!

playmaker
01-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Ur transformation is amazing! U see it when u belive it!!!

Ms. Lucy
01-26-2004, 05:29 AM
Welcome JLE!!

You look wonderful! Congrats on your transformation!

I am also trying to achive similar goals for the next 12 weeks and am also keeping a journal here. For now I am following the Body For Life program which is a 40-40-20 split with weight training 3x week and interval training 3x a week. CUrrently I am 5'3 and weigh 140 with 28-30% bf so I'd also like to get mine to 20-22%. I'll be estatic if I lose 20lb in 12 weeks!!!

I've gotten lazy with my online journal but will be picking it up again this week! I look forward to seeing how your next stage goes and wish you the best! (And keep warm!!)

Lucy

bufchk
01-26-2004, 06:45 AM
Awesome job on your progress already!!! Very inspiring to me to see people change dramatically.

jle
01-26-2004, 09:00 AM
When I look in the mirror I'm pleased with my progress, but still I see that much more I can acheive. Thank you for all your positve comments and advice.

Yesterday - I started logging my food/training log into fitday.com. I'm going to try to keep that going every 2-3 days. I designed a new training program. Sort of a 3 day split with wt. training, 2 cardio days (HIIT and AFPT training) , one circuit training, and one day of complete rest. I'm going to try it out and see how my body recacts (+ or -) Hmmm?
I'm going to cut back on the Cardio as many have advised me to do, and up the strength training, hopefully I can continue to lose fat in the process.

Since I have a hard time getting groceries, I went ahead and ordered some whey supplements (shake mix and Any Whey). I'll try those out.

Today, I'm wearing my "skinny" outfit and have never felt better. I have never been this size (well, not since age 13) I think if I reach my goals I will even drop one more pants size.
:( Still mouring the loss of my breasts. I used to be a C now I'm somewhere between an A and and B. Oh well, we can't all be busty babes (lol). I'm thinking of getting those silcon inserts you put into your bra or swimsuit.

I'll post my training program tomorrow, I left it at home.

If you are reading this, have a great day and train hard!

LadyStarlight
01-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Wow, jle, you have such a great attitude! I feel for how much you have to pay for your food! Well, the moose meat is nutritionally great, at least, isn't it? Guess access to that and the fish must reduce costs! You seem pretty interesting....a remote Eskimo village! I responsed to your other thread, but just poked my nose in here again....you impress me!

Mary

jle
01-27-2004, 06:19 PM
I decided to re-vamp my training schedule and try some new things.

Here it is:
Sunday - Circuit w/ wts and Cardio intervals
Monday - Delts, , Bis, Chest & Calves
Tuesday - ABs, Core, HIIT 10, run 20, 20 elliptical
Wednesday - Gluts, Tris, Back, Pushups, Hams
Thursday - REST
Friday-Abs-Core, HIIT 10, Run 20 , Elliptical 20
Saturday - all legs and gluts

I've already begun to lift "heavier" and "harder", and I'm sure feeling it the next day.

:( Pulled my R trap and neck is stiff and a little sore, I will have to see how it is in the morining. I seem to always injure that same muscle. I can't turn my head and when my neck hurts it's hard to do anything.

Eating plan is going well - still mulling over how to incorporate some treats, (fat-free sugar free pudding, popcorn, sugar-free cocoa) So far I've kept them at bay, I'm trying to eat as cleanly as I can.

Lately, my appetite has really increased, after my meal I'm hungry again in nearly an hour. My stomach is achy. Sometimes I feel like I'm having low blood sugar, (flighty and not thinking clearly). I'm eating CHO at every snack and meal. My appetite isn't ever satisified. I try to wait at least 2.5 hours between eating.
Should I up my portions or eat every 2 hours instead???? Should I add a little more fat in for saity (sp?) sake. Right now, my fat is coming from 1 egg yolk (b-fast) and 2 TBS of peanut butter (a.m. snack) and the small amount from chicken breasts and moose meat.

That's all for now - JLE

Hibiscus09
01-27-2004, 07:39 PM
:( Pulled my R trap and neck is stiff and a little sore, I will have to see how it is in the morining. I seem to always injure that same muscle. I can't turn my head and when my neck hurts it's hard to do anything.

Be careful with that -- oh, and welcome! :) I ended up with rotator cuff problems after getting that "can't turn my head" injury a few times. You might want to try some rotator cuff exercises and take glucosamine/MSM. Mostly, give it a rest.

By the way, your transformation is amazing! You are doing great!

I would have a hard time doing that run in that time also! I seem to be stuck everytime I try to run at a 10 minute mile. I guess I'm just not a runner. LOL

jle
01-27-2004, 08:07 PM
yeah, bummer about injuries. I teach kindergarten and its really hard to keep an eye on all the little buggers, when I can't turn my head quickly to keep up LOL

My RCs are weak and I'm working them in with my shoulder routine.

Emma-Leigh
01-28-2004, 02:50 AM
Looking great Jle! :)

Sunday - Circuit w/ wts and Cardio intervals
Monday - Delts, , Bis, Chest & Calves
Tuesday - ABs, Core, HIIT 10, run 20, 20 elliptical
Wednesday - Gluts, Tris, Back, Pushups, Hams
Thursday - REST
Friday-Abs-Core, HIIT 10, Run 20 , Elliptical 20
Saturday - all legs and gluts
This looks ok... I think you might be hitting your legs a little too often though - why not consider something a like:

Sun - Curcuit/cardio
Mon - Chest, Bis, shoulders
Tues - Abs, cardio
Wed - Tris, back
Thurs - Rest
Fri - Abs, Cardio
Sat - Legs

Eating plan is going well - still mulling over how to incorporate some treats, (fat-free sugar free pudding, popcorn, sugar-free cocoa) So far I've kept them at bay, I'm trying to eat as cleanly as I can.
Don't neglect the occasional treat! You deserve it and it stops those major pigouts!

Lately, my appetite has really increased, after my meal I'm hungry again in nearly an hour. My stomach is achy. Sometimes I feel like I'm having low blood sugar, (flighty and not thinking clearly). I'm eating CHO at every snack and meal. My appetite isn't ever satisified. I try to wait at least 2.5 hours between eating.
Should I up my portions or eat every 2 hours instead???? Should I add a little more fat in for saity (sp?) sake. Right now, my fat is coming from 1 egg yolk (b-fast) and 2 TBS of peanut butter (a.m. snack) and the small amount from chicken breasts and moose meat.
This is probably due to your more active muscle mass... :) Woo hoo!

I would just play around with your diet until you are happy - What are your macro ratios like at the moment? If your fat is already at about 20% then it should be ok for satiety. How much fibrous/green vegetables are you eating? Increasing your portions of these can also help.

Still mouring the loss of my breasts.
Phooey is what I say - who needs breasts when you have biceps :D

Keep it up!

imperfectly_lou
01-28-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Emma-Leigh

Phooey is what I say - who needs breasts when you have biceps :D

Oh Emma, that is fantastic! I think I should get that made into a T-shirt!!!!!!! :)

jle
01-28-2004, 09:01 AM
LOL - -- a t-shirt I love it!

Thanks gals!

Emma - Leigh thanks for all your input. I'm all on my own up here so I really need the advice and suport! :)

Emma-Leigh
01-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jle
LOL - -- a t-shirt I love it!

Thanks gals!

Emma - Leigh thanks for all your input. I'm all on my own up here so I really need the advice and suport! :)

Maybe we should use it as our Female BB Forum logo :D

You are really doing well Jle - trust your instincts and your body. You know you can do it as you have done so much all ready - it is just about keeping that 'mind' over 'fat matter' attitude. ;)

Also, remember it is not always about working HARDER, but about working SMARTER. 2 hours of working out/day, can often be less effective than 1hr a day - you just have to balance things out. Keep training hard and heavy and be honest with yourself. If you are not feeling the burn and it doesn't hurt as you stumble out of the gym after your workout, then ask yourself 'Could I have done more?'.

In regards to your fat loss: The best weapon you have is your muscles - build your muscles and get them active and you will find your body will drop fat and keep it off.

If you have any questions just ask and us girls will help out as much as we can! :)

jle
01-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Rest day - (I don't want to but I'm gonna) I feel like I need to workout everyday, I'm a little "addicted" and feel like "ugh" when I don't workout. Today, I'm feeling the effects of the increased strength training, (biceps, triceps especially). (whoo baby)

Yesterday was good, a couple of the high school girls even complimented me and wondered what I was doing to lose so much wt. It felt good to have them watching me working out, (in disbelief) hopefully I can inspire some of these young women to take fitness into consideration. I've been thinking of starting an afterschool fitness club, but I'm wondering if I'll spend more time keeping the kids "out of trouble" than working out. ?????

That's all for now -

jle
01-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I've finally caught logging all my training log info into fitday. It seems the easiest online anyaysis to use right now. I'm doing well. My ratios are running about 40-35-25 (Cho, prot, fat) I'm trying to up the prot and minus a few carbs and fat. My whey supplement came in so I am trying a shake mid-morning and pre-workout along with some carb (1/2 Cup). I will weigh in on Sunday and measure too. I ordered a tanita scale that also does body fat. Even if it isn't accurate at least I will have a baseline and be able to montior my progress thoughout this journey. That's all for now.

Gator
01-30-2004, 08:42 PM
Well Teach..
Looks like yer on yer way..Congrats on all you done so far, great improvements..
And rest days are needed, it all takes time..
Let yerself heal..
Keep at it and good luck !!

Gator

jle
02-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Whoo - whee! What a great workout this morning. Luuuuuvved IT! I'm feeeeelin it! Do you guys get that "high"? I have to make myself stop or I'll just keep on going!

I'm staying on track. Last night I waited to0 long to eat dinner and ended on eating almost 2 dinners, but total Kcal for day was still under 2500. My average for the week was

KCAL -2047
FAT 44g- 21%
ChO 262g- 47%
Prot 159g- 33%

Fitday reported that I was burning about 3400 kcals (avg) so that's 1400 deficit, theroretically I should have lost at least 3 pounds. I think that the energy expenditure must be high. I'm not worrying about what the scale say so much, the mirror, pictures and the measuring tape are what I'm gauging my progress from.

Dang - I'm feelin (and lovin) it! ;)

jle
02-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Had a good ab workout this morning followed by some bellydancing.

Good eats for B-fast - 2 TBS peanut butter, scoop choc whey and banana all creamed together - YUM!

Great afternoon workout
shoulders, chest, and triceps followed 30 min run and 20 minutes (modified HIIT) on the elliptical. Once I get started I don't want to stop! Man I feel great!

I'm just going to keep having the "best day" I can, one day at a time.

jle
02-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Sun. Total body ciruit/cardio interval training total 60 min

Mon. A.M. ABs, Core, Belly dance
P.M. Chest, shoulders, tris, run 20-30, elliptical (HIIT) 20

Tues. A.M. Yoga/Stretch
P.M Legs/ elliptical (heavy resist/incine) 20

Wed. A.M. ABs, Core, ballwork
P.M. AFPT training, run, sit-ups, push-ups, bike

Thurs. REST

Fri . A.M. abs, core, ballwork
P.M. Back, biceps, run 25 min, 25 (HIIT)

Sat. Super Cardio run 20-Bike 15-elliptical 25

What do you guys think - still too much cardio??? I feel so good afterward...

I'm trying to cut out my carbs in the evening, making my last carbs my post-workout snack. But this morning I woke, didn't do my usually workout (of some sort) had to do mid-term report cards for work instead. when I got to work I was so HUNGRY! I ate about half my cals for the day by btween b-fast and mid-morn snack. I'm trying to stay on track now.

Cheat days- should I incorporate those? I'd rather have a little treat daily - either Pre or post workout...

When I'm training multi-muscle groups, do I start or end the workout with the smaller muscles ???? For examle, Calves first or at the end of a leg workout. Does it matter??

imperfectly_lou
02-03-2004, 10:46 PM
I think it is still too much cardio...... I don't understand how anyone could do HIIT AFTER a 20-30min run! HIIT is meant to be super-difficult and intensive, such that you have definitely had enough within 20-25mins.... just think how much better your HIIT workouts would be if you dropped the cardio before hand.

Like you, I prefer to have small treats every day or every couple of days than one big cheat day. It works for me.

When working multiple muscle groups, always work the largest muscle groups first and leave the smaller ones for last.

jle
02-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks Lou - well I don't run that fast, and my HIIT is modified(not as extreme as outlined) , I suppose it's more moderate to high interval training, but my HR still stays up around 140-145ish for 20 minutes. Too hard???? (I'm 30)

Took my resting HR this am before rolling of bed 48/min. I've always had a slower pulse, my heart must be really squeezing!

Total 'bingefest' last night, I was sooooo famished. PMS and a hard workout. I just said "screw it" and ate until I was so full... I'll count yesterday as my cheat. Too many cals, but still in the right ratios!

My tanita scale/ body fat analyzer arrived yesterday. It said I weighed 165 lbs , 33% BF (uh, I don't think soo) . It warned the useer that it wasn't calibrated for athletes (people who train more than 10 hours a week, with resting HR less than 60) (which I fall into). So I will just use it as a scale, and not give too much "weight "to the BF% pardon the pun ;)

Ms. Lucy
02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey Girl!

You know, I should probably not rely on my scale for BF either. I have calipers, but I'm not sure if I'm doing them right. Might try digital!

Anyways, about your "binge"...don't you feel so sluggish afterwards? Now that I've tried to split my meals into 6/day, if I eat anything close to a "normal" portion size from before, I'm so exhauted!!! I did that at a restaurant on my cheat day a few weeks ago and was sleeping a half hour later!!! Now I love eating and feeling slightly hungry (satisfied) just 2-3 hours later!

Thanks for the link! Now I just need a cool belly dancing outfit! (in 11 weeks or so! lol)

Lucy

jle
02-06-2004, 07:24 PM
aaaauuuuuggghhh! I'm so hungry late afternoon and post-workout. I don't know what's going on. I'm eating every 2.5-3 hours prot/cho sometimes a fat. I have post-workout snack of whey mixed with Meal replacement shake, and a piece of fruit, but 2 hours later, I'm ready to clean out the pantry. I've been trying cut the carbs out in the evenings. I'm hoping this is just PMS (5 days away) and the "hungries" go away.

My kcals are about 2000-2300 in the 40-40-20 range. In my job, I'm constantly on the go, I might sit a total of 60 minutes during the school day. I'm doing am and pm workouts, morning are pretty light though, evenings are lifting followed by cardio.

Do you guys think I should cut back on exercising and see if my appetiite slows down? or maybe just wait until after my cycle?

I'm eating the right foods - I just feel like I'm eating too much lately!

Today I did Tae-Bo 40 min, abs 20 in the am
pm- biceps, back 30 min, HIIT for 15, followed by 30 min of easier intervals on elliptical. I want to burn this fat off!
i need more patience I guess....

Ms. Lucy
02-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Hey JLE!

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me like you're exercising way too much! Generally, I've read and heard that anything more than 1 hour, and you actually start to lose the benefits!Especially if you're throwing in HIIT in the middle of it. If you do a really effective HIIT for 20 minutes, you probably don't need the extra 30 mins of the elliptical!

Also, you must have some kick a** abs! I can never train mine more than 5 minutes!lol

As for the foods--I get outta control hungry before my period! Could be a combination of that plus all the training you're doing!

Anywho--you've been making awesome progress, I'd hate to see you lose further progress from overtraing! So enjoy where you're at (did you think you'd get to where you are today 12 weeks ago?) the weight WILL come off!

Lucy

imperfectly_lou
02-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Yes I gotta agree with Lucy. Your cals are not what I would call low, so you either gotta eat more or cut back on exercising so much! Only one cardio session a day!

jle
02-08-2004, 04:28 PM
eat more??? (oh goody) :)

hunger pangs are subsiding -whew!

Well I think I figured out part of the problem, I was running out of veggies and not getting enough of them . My frozen food order arrived, and now I have broccoli, broccoli normandy, Orietal veggies and frozen fruit (HOORAY) Also, I'm finding that after I consure a whey/H2o shake I get really hungry 1.5 hours later. I think it metabolizes too quickly for me. I've also been really tapering the carbs off in the evening and I think that's making me feel hungrier.

I'm going back to the eating plan I did that got me here. Prot and carbs at every meal and snack. I'm just going to bump up the "good fats" a bit and still shoot for 2000 cals - at about 45-35-20. Carbs don't seem to effect my metabolism like other people, I can really tell when I cut back on them (low blood sugar/ hypoglycemic symptoms).

I'm tapering off the cardio and bumping up the weights. :)

imperfectly_lou
02-08-2004, 10:21 PM
It sounds like you have it all worked out! :) Sounds good to me!

Like you, I need more carbs than some other girls. I find I crash if I don't get at least 150g per day.

jle
02-10-2004, 09:11 AM
I haven't lost any wt the last 2 weeks. -frustrated- My goal is trim down the fat, and then build up muscle if I want to later. I'm struggling, how do I burn more cals. I'm already working out too much! I really don't want to cut my cals lower either. Anyone out there tried carb rotatating? I'm unsure about starting. 1. I like carbs 2. It is very hard for me to get fibrous veggies/carbs. 3. so much planning involved...

My body is looking pretty good and measurements have come down slightly. I'm going to track my BF% more closer over the next 4 weeks and see waht happens

Impatient me -

jle
02-10-2004, 09:45 AM
I haven't lost any wt the last 2 weeks. -frustrated- My goal is trim down the fat, and then build up muscle if I want to later. I'm struggling, how do I burn more cals. I'm already working out too much! I really don't want to cut my cals lower either. Anyone out there tried carb rotatating? I'm unsure about starting. 1. I like carbs 2. It is very hard for me to get fibrous veggies/carbs. 3. so much planning involved...

My body is looking pretty good and measurements have come down slightly. I'm going to track my BF% more closer over the next 4 weeks and see waht happens

Impatient me -

Hibiscus09
02-10-2004, 07:29 PM
jle, msfit has a great carb rotating schedule in her book "Iron Dolls" -- you should check that out. I like carbs, also. LOL It does help to rotate them as you get to a point where you're plateauing. The lower days are tougher, but on those days you increase fats & that helps to assure your energy levels are still alright. :)

Ms. Lucy
02-11-2004, 05:09 AM
I didn't lose any weight the other week either, in fact, the scale said I actually GAINED 2 lbs. Of course, my "fat" pants don't feel snug anymore and I'm getting my period soon...so don't just look at the scale! (Although I'm sooo guilty of doing that!).

You have made such amazing progress and based on what you told my on your initial weight lose, it went pretty fast. I mean every week you saw results. Now that you've lost so much, you have a lot less to lose, so I don't think it would be possible, or with your weight training, healthy to see the same results each week--especially now that'd your hydrated and not retaining water. Perhaps you should just weigh yourself every 4 weeks instead of every week. Just don't get discouraged! You look beautiful now--so enjoy the new as you move forward.

As an aside. I made an awesome turkey/vegetable meatloaf yesturday (it's a Williams's-Sonoma/Mayo CLinic recipe) that's to die for. It's a great combination of protein (21g?) and carbs (25g?) and is packed full of good veggies (if you can get them). You just throw it all in a bowl, mix, bake and you've got 6 meals! Plus, it's filling (for your evenings) I can post the recipe if you're interested!

Lucy

imperfectly_lou
02-11-2004, 05:45 PM
I'd love the recipe Lucy!

Ms. Lucy
02-12-2004, 04:54 AM
Lou,

I'll post the recipe in the nutrition section this afternoon!

By the way, I'd just about kill to have your body shape! I can't believe your worried!

Lucy

jle
02-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Had a awsome leg day yesterday - cutting back on the cardio some. I'm still very hungry in the evenings. So I think I'll just start going to bed early, avoid munching and get some much needed rest. My bikini came in and it looks pretty good. I can't believe I got this far, and cant' wait to see how far I wil go...

:)

Hibiscus09
02-12-2004, 03:19 PM
I love getting new bikinis. :D

imperfectly_lou
02-12-2004, 05:30 PM
oooh new bikini! Are we going to get to see some pictures of you in it? :)

jle
02-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Here's the best one so far of my derrire'
Not trimmed down enough, but I'm working on it. These dang "thunder thighs!"

GymRookie
02-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by jle
okay twist my arm...here's some bikini shots

jle............wife and I think you look awesome..........:) More pics please...........lol Keep up the good work, you can do it.

"Hungary in the evenings", what I do in the evenings after my dinner meal, if I'm still hungary is have an MRP (protein shake) and then later drink water. That usually takes care of it. Are you eating 6 times a day? According to a trainer I know, she indicated that in the evenings the wanting for food is mostly mental and I guess she's right. If I keep myself busy in the evening after dinner I now hardly ever think of food, but in saying that, I still drink water and have that shake, kinda got in the habbit of doing this nitely, and I don't get up in the morning wanting to eat everything in sight.............lol.

Everything will workout for you, just keep plugging away. "It's all in your attitude".

GymRookie
02-13-2004, 09:36 AM
BTW, the wife wants to know where you got the bikini? Looks great on you. Oh, and you don't have thunder thighs......I think they are nice looking. Keep up with the Squats, extentions, calf raises that will really give you definition. Gluds are looking good to.

imperfectly_lou
02-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Looking hot jle!!!!! That's a gorgeous looking bikini :) You really do have a great figure...

jle
02-13-2004, 08:33 PM
I drink water all day, probably 1.5-2 gallons (or more). I do have 6 meals a day. Prot/cho at every one.....But after my workout I never seem satisfied. I have my dinner right after since I finish around 6:30. I try to have a prot shake or 2-3 egg whites before bed.

Thanks for the positive comments about the bikini pics. :)

Today was pretty bad diet-wise. MY Kindergarten Class's V-day party....3 cookies, 1 cupcake, 4 pcs of candy ....it was good , but I feel soooooo guilty. I glugged down a whey shake hoping that would stall the insulin rush.... But I suppose since I mostly eat mostly "A" and a few "B" foods, one day of a sugar binge won't set me back too far. (hoping)

Worked out back, bis and tris today - whooo baby, felt awesome!

followed by.... get this... ONLY 40 minutes on the ellipitical - are you guys proud of me or what? I'm trying to cut back on the cardio and increase the weights. Tomorrow is rest day and I need it badly, I worked hard all week and my body really slowed down today.

You guys are awesome, keep training hard

When do you think I should incorporate a MRP ... before or after workout snack?

gallerygurl
02-14-2004, 03:44 AM
you will be fine girl!! You look great and your leaning out so well!

GymRookie
02-14-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by jle
I drink water all day, probably 1.5-2 gallons (or more). I do have 6 meals a day. Prot/cho at every one.....But after my workout I never seem satisfied. I have my dinner right after since I finish around 6:30. I try to have a prot shake or 2-3 egg whites before bed.

Thanks for the positive comments about the bikini pics. :)

Today was pretty bad diet-wise. MY Kindergarten Class's V-day party....3 cookies, 1 cupcake, 4 pcs of candy ....it was good , but I feel soooooo guilty. I glugged down a whey shake hoping that would stall the insulin rush.... But I suppose since I mostly eat mostly "A" and a few "B" foods, one day of a sugar binge won't set me back too far. (hoping)

Worked out back, bis and tris today - whooo baby, felt awesome!

followed by.... get this... ONLY 40 minutes on the ellipitical - are you guys proud of me or what? I'm trying to cut back on the cardio and increase the weights. Tomorrow is rest day and I need it badly, I worked hard all week and my body really slowed down today.

You guys are awesome, keep training hard

When do you think I should incorporate a MRP ... before or after workout snack?

jle........have to watch all those goodies.........:) Take the MRP as a snack, if you don't have time to eat. But I think you should start eating at least 5 times a day. That way you want be so hungary.

By the looks of the second pic, it's not going to take to much work to have great abs. Your on your way............:)

Lift tell ya cry.............:)

jle
02-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Today -
am - 25 cardio - 15 moderate HIIT
pm - Shoulders, Chest, Triceps, Calves elliptical 35min

Diet 45C-37P-18F 4 servings day 2100 cals
tomorrow will be 2 carb day ( I can do it )! 35C-40P-25F
training will be am -abs, core pm-cardio- push-ups, sit-ups

I feel great, it really helped to plan my daily meals and input them into fitday, so I could see how much of what I was getting and where I could fit it the Carb servings best.

I'm doing great and talked to hubby about going the the AK state Bodybuilding & Fitness Competitions this summer. I'm going to miss the one in Anchoarge on March 20 by one day, I have to fly back to the village on that day. I really want to go to a show and see what it's all about. I think I'm freakin' him out with how serious I've become with all this, he is not into training at all unless it involves camo, a rifle and hunting gear. He's afraid once, I start training at the gym, all the guys will be hitting on me. HMMMM?? guess he has to buy me a home gym :)

GymRookie
02-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by jle
Today -
am - 25 cardio - 15 moderate HIIT
pm - Shoulders, Chest, Triceps, Calves elliptical 35min

Diet 45C-37P-18F 4 servings day 2100 cals
tomorrow will be 2 carb day ( I can do it )! 35C-40P-25F
training will be am -abs, core pm-cardio- push-ups, sit-ups

I feel great, it really helped to plan my daily meals and input them into fitday, so I could see how much of what I was getting and where I could fit it the Carb servings best.

I'm doing great and talked to hubby about going the the AK state Bodybuilding & Fitness Competitions this summer. I'm going to miss the one in Anchoarge on March 20 by one day, I have to fly back to the village on that day. I really want to go to a show and see what it's all about. I think I'm freakin' him out with how serious I've become with all this, he is not into training at all unless it involves camo, a rifle and hunting gear. He's afraid once, I start training at the gym, all the guys will be hitting on me. HMMMM?? guess he has to buy me a home gym :)

jle, seems as tho your doing great. One thing tho, I was talking with a trainer and she indicated that 1.5 to 2 gallons of water is way to much. She suggested 1 gallon a day. Just a suggestion..........:) To bad you'll be missing the BB and Fitness Competition in Anchorage, you would have loved it........lots of great information at these competitions. Will you be going to an Army gym ? Tell the husband it really doesn't matter where you would be training, your going to get hit on............lol Your really looking good. No really, I think once your training at the gym where there are others around will give you more incentive to work harder. There should be other females there and should be easy to get a workout partner. I'm retired military and my wife use to go to military gyms in Germany, etc and she would always find someone to workout with and yes occasionally she would get hit on..............lol She loved it............lol

Train hard and lift tell ya cry............:)

jle
02-17-2004, 09:35 AM
- Yes, I'll be at an Army gym, which is his main concern, lots of young single soliders...he'll chill out once he sees I'm committed to him (and this fitness lifstyle).

The Major's wife is also very into fitness, she just got her PT certificate and we talked at Christmas about training togeher some once I was out of the village and there (the base) permenently). She is more of a runner type, but it would be fun to have a fitness buddy. :)

Today is first day of lower carbs, we will see how I take it. I've got my menu all lined out. I'm excited to follow through on it.

jle
02-18-2004, 12:44 PM
yesterday went pretty good stayed on menu plan to the letter-was a little hungry but not near as bad as last week....

had a great cardio workout too. This morning I was a little light headed but okay once I had a few carbs. Today is my low carb day #2 I hope it goes as well as yesterday. I will try this for cycle for 4 weeks and see what happens...

Wt loss down 2 more #, definition is starting to come around. Pants are getting loose. :) :) :) waiting for my calipers to show to measure BF%

jle
02-21-2004, 01:51 PM
carb rotating went okay, but I feel I'm getting good results with my current diet & training....beginning to wonder if I should forget it and just keep doing what I know, and save the carb rotating if I "bottom out." ?????

Definition is really coming around :) I'm now at about 163# and down 1/2 more inch on hips and 1/2 on thighs. Somedays I think "Is this really worth it?" but when I look in the mirror the answer is "YES!" I love the workouts, the results and the confidence I'm gaining. I only hope I can continue to be "pumped up" in this journey and conitinue to improve!

gallerygurl
02-21-2004, 05:33 PM
You are dong so well! I like to watch your progress..
Umm as far as rotating . In my opinion I would save those type of things until absolutely necessary.
Ive almost lost all of my weight (down to the last 5)
without rotating. Im thinking I might have to now but Id wait as long as you can. If your still losing weight and inches dont stop whats workin for ya. Us girls are so damn hard on ourselves.
I used to think " if I was 120, Id be sooooo happy" now Im 120 and I whine - STILL.
You are doing great Jle:)

jle
02-25-2004, 09:12 AM
I having a rough week mentally. I'm really starting to doubt myself - (I do this every so often, but who doesn't?).
Hoping these "blues" and "blahs" will go away soon.

I do have some good news. My skinfold calipers came in and calculated me 18-20% BF. I was so surprised I just kept measuring and re-measuring. I followed the directions exactily. I hope this is right and I didn't screw it up.

I've gotten lots of compliments from co-workers and others lately, about how "good" I look and "how hard I work" -- I should be really happy, but I'm not.

excuse me while I have a pity party for awhile, I'll be back full force at another time.

pppppbbbbbbbb! :( :p

Ms. Lucy
02-25-2004, 11:19 AM
18-20% is Awesome JLE! And awesome bikini pics!

I'd comment some more, but I'm currently involved in the same pity party. I'll see ya later on the outside! lol

Lucy

jle
02-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Ms. Lucy - thanks you always have the right things to say!

Planning my daily meals has really been helping me stay right on track. I like to play around with my plan on fitday to see what I can eat and when how much - etc. I really trying to stick to 2200 kcals and no carbs after meal 4 (pre-workout). It's tough but I think I'm getting used to it. I'm keeping my ratios right around 45-35-20.

The school is hosting a big Basketball tournament (thurs-Sun) - therefore, I can not run afterschool (in the gym and hallways like usual) and they have turned the wt. training room into a "hospitality room". PBBBBB! :p So I have to modify my training back to my home. For cardio, I think I'll do XC skiier, and some HIIT cardio burst moves and maybe some circuits - and I'll just have to use my bands and dumbbells for wt. training. My body probably needs a break from what I've been doing anyway, (still sore from Tuesday's legs/glut workout) although it is so hard for me to "rest".

Ms. Lucy
02-27-2004, 05:03 AM
Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Just a quick note--you mentioned that you cut carbs after your pre-workout meal--but probably the most important carbs you body needs are the ones AFTER you workout. Typically, I eat a meal replacement shake with protien and carbs (and my glutamine). I may have misread that, but just wanted to make sure I passed that along!

And good luck with your new gym arrangements! lol

GymRookie
02-27-2004, 08:12 AM
jle, your doing great........:) Just stay focused.......:)

jle
03-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Well, now that I'm 18-20% BF I'm going to work towards 16-17% by May 30 (a little over 12 weeks). That means about 8 pounds of fat to lose. I know my body is going to really want to hold onto those pounds too. I'm not going to rush things.

I also going to increase my strength training workouts and cut back Cardio to one session/ day. I'm still training for the ARMY APFT.

More, yoga, pilates, core training and dancing to balance things out.

I can't believe how far I've come, yet sometimes when I look in the mirror and don't think I've changed. I have to look back at my before pictures, they almost seem like different person. My jeans look so small out of the drier, yet when I put them on they fit loosly. I was size 16 for over 7 years. This smaller body is taking some getting use to (but I like it) :)

Thanks everyone for your support, motivation, compliments and advice. I look forward to reading your messages everyday!

:) :) :) JLE (Laurie)

jle
03-04-2004, 07:45 PM
whooo! I'm kicked my own a$$ today! Feels great. I'm started to get the hang of the this higher intensity/better quality training thing. Rest day was yesterday, so I figured I could handle it, and I don't know how tomorrow will go, I'll have to work out at home again.

Other than that, bloat has set in. ugh! Gotta drink more H2O and less sodium. I also have a crazy week coming up - school functions, report cards, school district reports, and getting ready to see hubby on the 13th. It's been just over 9 weeks since I last saw him. I sure hope I blow him away. I told him, he better make a fuss, a BIIIIIGGGG fuss over me! ( i need lots of attention!) ;)

thanks all - later

Hibiscus09
03-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Wow, jle -- you have really done great!! I'm sure you'll keep at it. :) I'm sure your husband will notice big changes & love what he sees! I think you look beautiful!

jle
03-07-2004, 03:02 PM
6 more days until I see my hubby - hooray!

Hammies are STILL sore from last weeks training. I've been streching like crazy. last "good" workout I had was last wednesday - Cardio pretty much went ka-put these past 3 days. OH well... haven't been logging my foods as carfully either. Good thing tomorrow is monday, fresh start

This week I'm going to train as normal as possible - but I'm not going all out on the weights. I do not want to be tight ,sore, stiff, when I get home. I'll do find there, I have my treadmill, som 20# dumbells, and elastic tubing. Plus _ I think I'll try to check out he base gym to see what's there. I'm only home for 6 days, then I have to head back out here for the rest of the school year. (7more weeks).

jle
03-09-2004, 08:14 AM
I'm not able to train as hard as I was 4 weeks ago and its really bugging me. These past 2 weeks have really been interrupted. I'm feeling bloaty, and "big." My ab definition is weakening also. I guess I'll do my best this week and next (at home). I can re-start when I get back from spring break. I keep telling myself I've trained so hard these last 3 months, my body needs a little time to slow down and recover and come back and hit it hard end of March, April, and beginning of May (7 weeks).

Naturally my progress as slowed, and I get frustrated when there is little change week to week or even in the past month. I know others out there have been training for years to get results. I just need to be more patient and continue to train/eat wisely.

wanna be (close to) perfect....

gallerygurl
03-09-2004, 10:47 AM
I know how you feel girl... I got sick twice in February, (both times I had to take a whole week off) and I felt the same way.
Ill tell you what though, just do your best as you are in this for the long haul. A short time period like this where your eating or training might be a bit off will not effect you as much as you think it would.
I only trained for the first time yesterday and I already feel a trillion Xs better!

jle
03-17-2004, 05:41 PM
well - I've been so horrible with eating. Here, at home, hubby has all sorts of tempting treats. So basically I'm having a cheat week. I'm still working out, but the "clean diet" has gone out the window. I'll restart/recommit on Sunday. But for now, I'm not going to sweat it and just enjoy my short vacation at home with hubby. I'm looking at it this way, like I was training for a comp, and now it's over, a little cheat break and back to work one week later.

We just got a cross bow platnium so I can work out at home now. HOOORAAYYY!

BTW - he was so shocked and LOVES my new fit/buff body! He told me, "keep doing what you are doing- you are so SEXY! "
(my goal all along!) :) :) :)

jacqui583
03-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by jle

BTW - he was so shocked and LOVES my new fit/buff body! He told me, "keep doing what you are doing- you are so SEXY! "

You rock sister!:)

GymRookie
03-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by jle
well - I've been so horrible with eating. Here, at home, hubby has all sorts of tempting treats. So basically I'm having a cheat week. I'm still working out, but the "clean diet" has gone out the window. I'll restart/recommit on Sunday. But for now, I'm not going to sweat it and just enjoy my short vacation at home with hubby. I'm looking at it this way, like I was training for a comp, and now it's over, a little cheat break and back to work one week later.

We just got a cross bow platnium so I can work out at home now. HOOORAAYYY!

jle, really cool!!!!!!! I knew the hubby would luv the way you look. That hard work is paying off............hehehe. Don't sweat the cheat week..........you'll get back on track, besides it never hurts to cheat every once and awhile.

lift heavy................:)

imperfectly_lou
03-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Have a great week jle!!!!!!! You deserve it!

jle
03-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Great visit w/ hubby, bad, bad, bad eating (and drinking)!
So now it's time to get serious again. I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm starting fresh today - 8 weeks to go and I'll see him again and can start my life away from the village and in the "real world". With a real grocery store with fresh produce, my own treadmill and home gym and my husband's support and encouragement. :)

Basically, I need to clean up my eating, lower the daily cal. count and continue my training. I'm up for the challenge and excited to start anew. :)

Thanks to those out there who monitor my progress and keep me motivated to be and do my BEST! :)

jle
03-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Man, this stinks. I feel like I'm all the way back to square one. Ugh! I've been training hard to make up for last weeks splurges but it's as though I took 10 steps back. I'm weaker, tired, and hungry. This is really frustrating me. I've met every goal I've set since last Oct, this is the first "setback" I've experienced. How do I get through this, physically and mentally. Will I ever see my abs again. (wah!) :(

GymRookie
03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
jle, just stay focused..........you can do it. It's alway hard to get back to training when you take time off. Just start slow, it may take you some time to get back to where you were at. Don't expect to get everything back in a couple of weeks...........just doesn't work like that.............hang tuff...........:)

jle
03-26-2004, 12:48 PM
thanks everyone for your motivation and support and reminders that yes, hard work does pay off!

Well, I'm starting to feel and look like my pre-spring break binge self. My workouts are going well and I'm focusing more on HIIT and wt. training.

Trying to keep my cals lower, but I'm so dang hungry all the time. Going back to moderate level of "quality" carbs to see how that works out.

jle
03-28-2004, 02:28 PM
well.... here I am again... I'm doing my best and know that through determinition, discipline and action I can and will achieve my goals.

Eating is my battle - I eat "good, clean" food but I'm eating too much to be dipping into my fat reserves. Lately, my stomach is achy 1 hour after eating like I'm hungry again, even after a complete meal. I'm drinking plenty of water too. I end up eating something to take the edge off but it doesn't help. I have to remind myself that the paid is from something else (probably pain med for carpal tunnel) and it is NOT hunger. I'm taking it one day at a time doing my best to stay on my planned menu.

Emma-Leigh
03-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jle
well.... here I am again... I'm doing my best and know that through determinition, discipline and action I can and will achieve my goals.

Eating is my battle - I eat "good, clean" food but I'm eating too much to be dipping into my fat reserves. Lately, my stomach is achy 1 hour after eating like I'm hungry again, even after a complete meal. I'm drinking plenty of water too. I end up eating something to take the edge off but it doesn't help. I have to remind myself that the paid is from something else (probably pain med for carpal tunnel) and it is NOT hunger. I'm taking it one day at a time doing my best to stay on my planned menu.

Hey JLE - Hang in there!! You are doing really well! Just keep at it and do not loose sight of the bigger picture - YOUR HEALTH AND HAPPINESS!! Even if the weight loss is a little slower, you will still be improving your health and body composition so don't get too discouraged.

Maybe post an example of your diet -?? We could have a look and see if there is anything you can change to increase your satiety and decrease your cravings?

Hibiscus09
03-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Are you getting enough fat in your diet? If you don't, you'll have hunger pangs for sure!

jle
03-29-2004, 12:46 PM
I tried to post an average day but somewhere it didn't come through. I know I'm getting enough fat - I have about 2-3 TB of peanut butter through out the day. I think I'm overtraining and the no carbs at dinner is kicking my butt, because by bedtime I'm eating the house down. Work has been really stressful lately and I think I'm getting stress cravings. I'm going back to 5 carb meals a day and I think that might balance things out betters

meal 1
.7 C oatmeal w/ flaxseeds
3 egg whites
.5 c blueberrries

meal 2
MRP

Meal 3
chicken .5 c diced
rice .5c
navy beans .5 c
cabbage 2 c

meal 4
whey shake made w/ h20
oatmeal w. blueberries 1 c

WORKOUT

meal 5
grapefruit 1 whole
whey w/ milk
glutamine

meal 6
minsestrone soup 2 C- (made w/ moose, green beans, navy beans, tomotoes, spinach, mushrooms)
2 wasa crackers w/ peanut butter

gallerygurl
03-29-2004, 04:02 PM
I think you need to add a little more fat to your diet. I was having the same problems and it really helped me out

jle
03-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Okay - I think what I really need most of all is ....patience and persistence.

For the next 6 weeks I'm not going to "obssess." I'm going to eat clean food that fuels my body, my daily activities and my training. I will continue to train (intense, consistant, and balanced) I will sleep more. I will not munch excessively in the evenings. I will stretch more. Maintain and slowly improve.

:) I'm feeling better already!

Ms. Lucy
03-30-2004, 05:19 AM
Hey JLE!

I used to go without carbs after about 4, but also got wiped out and wasn't seeing much progress. I recently switched to a diet that's 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat and I always include carbs with my evening meal. I have seen a wonderful increase in energy and finally, a decrease in fat! I'm also not as hungry in the evening. FInally, when I'm in a munching mood at night, I forgo the 1/2 cup of brown rice and eat 1 cup of organic whole wheat cereal. There's no additives and it's crunchy! Sometimes I think I just miss that texture, so perhaps it's worth a try.

On a final note, in case you have a bad sweet tooth at night, try cutting out the core of an apple, stuffing it with walnuts and roasting it. The apple will get really sweet, and the walnuts taste wonderful!

Hope that helps!--And I hope your great progress continues!

Lucy

Hibiscus09
03-30-2004, 08:18 AM
One good way to lose bodyfat if you're hitting a plateau is to calorie cycle. Tom Venuto's book (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle) suggests eating three days at around 20% below maintenance, then one day at around 20% above & continue cycling that way for a while. He just lists this as a plateau buster -- not something to do all the time.

I personally do think tapering off the carbs as the day goes on helps. You could eat the oatmeal, brown rice, etc. up until early afternoon and then switch over to more fibrous veggies and add some healthy fats such as olive oil, salmon, etc. to your diet. The fats help greatly with curbing hunger. I am a morning exerciser, though -- if you work out in the evening I think some slow burning carbs before the workout, along with some protein is beneficial.

jle
03-31-2004, 08:46 AM
well - thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going back to incorporating carbs in every meal or snack before my evening workout. and more fat too. I'm finding that I'm feeling much better (more energy and better stress control) and my training is better too. I've felt less hunger and more control of my pre-sleep munchies. 9:00- 9:30 is the window I need to avoid. So now I just go to sleep earlier so I can be ready for my 4:30 wake-up call.

On monday, 3 high school girls wanted to work out with me, so I set up some quick circuit stations, we went 2 min and switched alternating strength with cardio. the time flew by and I really felt it the next day, (those poor girls did too;).

I'm going focus on eating healthfully, training well, and the let the results take care of themselves for a while. I'm sure I'm sick of counting every cal, carb, prot. gram ... etc. Back to real life for a while. :) :)

jle
04-04-2004, 01:32 PM
6 weeks to go until I'm finished with the school year and I permanently re-locate "home" with hubby. My goals are to maintain/ improve and train for AFPT which I'll be doing the first week in June.

My eating habits are getting better. I'm cutting back on before bed munching. I'm planning out my meals and snacks ahead of time and trying to stay on plan as much as I can.

I've cut back on training and I am feeling better and not losing progress thus far. I've started doing more circuit training. It is fun, fast, and I seem to push harder when I'm trying to meet a time limit instead of a rep limit.

I think I'm finally reaching a peace within myself. I'm trying to focus on other aspects in my life now - family, work. Although I still find myself planning and fretting over every prot, fat, and carb gram and minute of cardio. I want balance, health and happiness in myself, not compulsion or harmful obssession.

jle
04-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I think I have too many goals going on at once and they are getting in the way of each other at times. I'm going to continue to train for the APFT which I will take the first part of June. I gave myself a pre-test and estimated that my score would have been 285/300. I think once I can beginning running on a long stretch of road or trail, my 2 mile time will really come down. I'm cutting back on the wt. training and concentrating on the running and cardio *ducks as not to get hit by flying dumbells - joke*

My hands (carpal tunnel) are really bothering me and effecting my work and daily life, and I'm thinking it might have something to do with the wt. training (gripping the bar ?) So I'm mostly going to work the best I can without exercises where I have to grip the bar.

My summer goals will be to trim down to 16% bodyfat. Run a 5K. and complete the correspondence course for personal training.

I keep going back and forth whether or not I want to maintain or progress. My progress has really slowed and I'm getting frustrated. I also am having a horrible time controlling my hunger and appetite from 7:00pm on every evening. I'm fighting to keep myself from eating down the house.

Hibiscus09
04-09-2004, 07:01 PM
I won't throw a dumbbell at you! :) Just keep progressing and setting goals for yourself. My husband has moved from a 5K to a 10K to a half-marathon & now, December's goal is a marathon. He weight trains but not as much when he's training for a big run.

Do what works for you. I understand the problems with the hands. I'm 42 and have noticed lately that I get really achy in my hands -- they feel kind of arthritic at times and, I'm sure, that's from gripping weights so tightly. I also grip my bike when I'm cycling, so I really concentrate on keeping a loose grip there.

Just focus on your summer goals. You can add new goals later. It's important to have a focus. :)

You're doing great!

My progress has really slowed and I'm getting frustrated. I also am having a horrible time controlling my hunger and appetite from 7:00pm on every evening. I'm fighting to keep myself from eating down the house.

I don't know if I've asked you this before, but are you getting enough fat? It takes about 30% for me to feel satiated. Furthermore, take into account how much activity you're doing and make sure you're eating enough. You've more than likely increased your metabolism. Running will definitely make you hungry.

trnurbdy48
04-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by jle
Sun. Total body ciruit/cardio interval training total 60 min

Mon. A.M. ABs, Core, Belly dance
P.M. Chest, shoulders, tris, run 20-30, elliptical (HIIT) 20

Tues. A.M. Yoga/Stretch
P.M Legs/ elliptical (heavy resist/incine) 20

Wed. A.M. ABs, Core, ballwork
P.M. AFPT training, run, sit-ups, push-ups, bike

Thurs. REST

Fri . A.M. abs, core, ballwork
P.M. Back, biceps, run 25 min, 25 (HIIT)

Sat. Super Cardio run 20-Bike 15-elliptical 25

What do you guys think - still too much cardio??? I feel so good afterward...

When I'm training multi-muscle groups, do I start or end the workout with the smaller muscles ???? For examle, Calves first or at the end of a leg workout. Does it matter??

First, your Core is your Lumbo-pelvic-hip complex. This, in plain words is your abdominals to your hips. What do you do for "core" work? And yes, you are performing too much cardio and working your abs far too much. You have belly dancing (An abdominal w/o of it's own) and abdominal exercise on the same day, at the same time. Do one or the other. On your weight training days, 5-10 minutes of cardio as a warm-up and then 5-10 as a cool-down is more than sufficient. NEVER perform cardio on the same day as a leg w/o. Your legs wil be overworked and gains will be lost. By "ballwork", do you mean a Swiss Ball? Could you give me an idea of what exercises you perform? Always work the larger muscle groups first. They require optimum energy levels. Below is an outline of a program I use for clients who want to do a split routine:

Mon - Chest - Delts - Triceps
Tues - 20-30 min. Cardio - Abs
Wed - Back - biceps - Traps (Optional)
Thurs - 20-30 min. Cardio - Abs
Fri - Legs, including Glutes

Sat & Sun off to let muscles recuperate.

Sample of an abdominal w/o - Crunches (Swiss ball with or without weight or floor w/legs at a 90 degree elevation), Russian twists (Obliques), reverse Crunches - 2-3 sets of 12-20 reps

This is just an idea. There a 100's, if not 1,000's, of variations. Anaerobic activity (weight training) is, in and of itself, a cardio w/o. Any activity that increases HR is considered aerobic. You should be in the gym no more than 60 minutes (including warm-up and cool-down). Anything beyond is unnecessary and could lead to injury. I won't go into the why's and wherefore's, that's a whole other post!

The most important thing to remember is FORM. Perfect the form of each and every exercise.

I hope this has helped. From reading your posts, you have done an incredible job!

PS I also take a Yoga class once a week and love it! Yoga is the Core of Core training!

jle
04-12-2004, 09:14 AM
ugh! I've been backsliding and it's time to re-vamp my routine. I'm moving my fat burn routine to first thing in the mornings and doing it at school.

Today's Plan
Wake 4:30 - go to school and workout there.

5:00=6:15am
30 (big) laps in gym - 17:00min
Elliptical intervals - - 35:00min
Stretch - 15 min

7:30 am
1. strawberry/bannana/whey/milk smoothie
oatmeal 3/4 C w/ /1/4 Blueberries
Coffee w/ hlf & hlf

10:30 am
2. oat muffins (2) (non-fat, no-sugar)
PB 2TBS
Carrots 1C

12:30pm
3. Moose 1/2 C
Rice 1/2 C
Broccoli 1.5 C

3:00pm
4. Rasin Bran 2/3 C w/ 1/2 C NF milk
3 Egg whites
1/2 applesauce

Upper Body workout 4:00-5:00
Pushups 5 x 20
Tri - ext 15# 3x 15
Pushdown 3x20 - burnouts
Bench 3 x 2:00min 45 #
Military Press (15#) alternate w/ lat raise (10#) 3x20 each
Biceps DB Curl pyramid 10# 20 reps 15# 15reps 20# 10reps
EZ bar curl 25# 2x10
total body stretching 15 minutes

6:00
5. Moose 3/4 C roasted and diced
Broc Normandy 2C
Almond 1/4 C

Bed 8:30

weekly outlook

morning fat burn
M,T, rest Th, Fr, rest, Sun

afternoon strength
upper, lower, rest, upper, lower, rest, rest

jle
04-13-2004, 08:51 AM
stayed on plan yesterday, with the exception of one oatmel cookie w/ lunch, and 1/2 oat muffin at meal five. Woke up in the middle of the night very hungry..

Today's plan of attack
warm-up
- sprint intervals 10 min
bike intervals 15
elliptical 15
dance/plyos 10
50 + including warm-ups
good workout

Meal 1
Oatmeal 2/3 C w .25 C Blueberries
Egg whites 3
orange

Moose 1/2 C Rice 1/2 C Carrots 1C Peanut Butter 2TBs

Chicken 1/2 C Rice 1/2 C tortilla 1, broccoli 2 C

Grapefruit 1 whole
Oatmeal 2/3 C
Whey w/ water 1 scoop

abs/core/gluts -

Moose Chili 1/5 C Tortilla 1 Green Beans 2 C

jle
04-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Trying to cut cut the cals, but I'm getting woozy/ lt. headed (Low blood sugar?) in between meals. Probably need to eat sooner (every 2 hrs) or include more complex carbs.

Had to down some canned pears prior to lunch 12:30 by 2:45 was already lt. headed/groggy again.

gallerygurl
04-13-2004, 04:36 PM
I would spread your fat out. This was happening to me and I added a small amount to 3-4 of my meals.. Like :

1 cup egg whites
1/2 cup oats
1 T almonds

jle
04-14-2004, 09:17 AM
thanks Gallurygurl, I'm going to add a little little of fat to my main main meals. (almonds, PB, olive oil)

Today's Plan

FAT BURN

Run 35 big laps alternating 50% pace and 80% pace (3 laps/2 laps) 20 minutues Step aerobics 10 minutes Ellipitical 25 minutes
felt awesome, strong

1. Fruit/Whey Smoothie
Oats w/ half & half (.25C)
Small apple

2. Chicken .5 Rice .5

3. Moose chili .5, Rice .75 C, green peppers .3 C
1 TB PB

4. Oatmeal .7 C
Small Apple
Whey w/ water

Legs-Quads- Hams-Calves

5. veggie omlet w/ 4 egg whites/ 1 yolk
cubed potatoes .7 C cooked in 2 tsp olive oil

jle
04-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Somehow I haven't been able log in for days...

Current issues:

The GOOD Stuff...

1. Carpal tunnel is getting better
2. Run is improving, legs and butt are taking on more shape
3. I have a groups of teen-age kids following in my footsteps,
4. 18 more days until I'm done here and home for good with hubby

Still STRUGGLING w/....

1. Night eating (Carb Cravings)
2. Body image (am I good enough? am I lean enough?)
3. Stuck/ no progress/ no fat loss
4. Losing drive/motivation
5. Overtraining issues

jle2004
05-03-2004, 12:48 PM
still me, something happened and I could no longer post under my previous screen name.

Things are going somewhat better - Hubby signed me up to do my Army PT test w/ the rest of the soldiers, so now I HAVE to do awesome.

Anyway, I'll get back with my journal later.

:)

jle2004
05-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Now that spring has arrived, I can finally get out of the gym for my running. I've been running the airstrip (not used). This morning I was so close to skipping it, but I said just do one lap, one lap turned to 2 and 2 to 3. I ran 40 minutes. About 20min of intervals (2min at pace7, 3min at pace 5). I DID IT! It's the best feeling when I overcome my negative, do--it-tommorrow attitude.

Right now, I'm focused on this test. I'm still eating well, but I'm not worrying about fat loss for now. I'm eating for fuel and recovery.

:)JLE

jle
05-23-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm back and out of the village. I'm struggling right now mentally and physically. I think now that I'm at home, I'm no longer on my own and have to worry and deal with other commitments other than my training schedule. I feel like my whole life is out of whack!

3 weeks ago I was ready for my ArmyPT test. My training since I got home has been weak. Everything is a struggle. I've really slid backwards. Getting back on a new track is my plan.

catgirl
05-24-2004, 10:44 AM
I've been reading your journal since the beginning and I think you are an incredible and admirable person. Your transformation is absolutely amazing!
I wish I had your strenght and will to commit with the plans you make for yourself. I'm glad you're back to the board and please, keep being a role model for me...

jle
06-01-2004, 09:01 PM
I am happy to report that I have met all my serious fitness goals to date. Last week, I completed 50 push-ups in two minutes, 98 sit-ups, and ran 2 miles 15.45 (but on the treadmill). So that's all max or better for my Army Physical Fitness Test. I guess running on the treadmill is a little bit of a cheat. Tomorrow I am scheduled to take the test along with the soliders, but I don't know if that is going to happen, since my husband is off work, and doesn't realize how serious I am about this... But in my heart and mind I have achieved what I set out to do!

Last Sunday, I ran my first 6K in more than 12 years. My husband ran with me and I finished ahead of him. I made my goal of finishing under 40 minutes. This was a hilly, cross-country race not a road race.

So whats next for me...

1. Clean up my diet, now that I'm home and have to feed my skinny husband, "bad food" is everywhere. I've really gone off track with my eating and I'm seeing the bad results. I want to get back to 18% BF / 165lbs. Previously I wanted to get down to 16%, but considering, I've missed my last two periods, I'm going to ease up in that department. But I WILL get back to a clean/balanced diet, of about 2400 calories, and then I will cycle down somewhat from there.

2. Create and stick to a new training schedule - more strength training, trail/hill running for cardio.

2. Find a new challenge - An 8 mile trail run at the beginning of August I think. I definitely need something bigger and better to work towards.

Although at this point, I'm sick to death of training for the PT test, I'm so happy because I thought it was to far out of reach.

Desire+Dedication+Discipline= RESULTS

Hibiscus09
06-02-2004, 04:07 AM
Glad you've met so many goals!

I just thought I'd let you know that I trained for a 10K completely on the treadmill and the day of the race was the first time I had ever ran outside. LOL I didn't notice that it was particularly more difficult because there were so many people around me, I was just wrapped up in all the excitement. :)

catgirl
06-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Jle, I can only say this: you're truly amazing. Thanks for posting here, you are an inspiration for all of us. I wish the best for you!

jle
06-05-2004, 08:15 AM
-Cat girl - thanks - Just when I start getting discouraged, positive comments help me find the motivation to continue training and improving.

I've slacked off a bit and its showing. I've gained some fat and I'm a lot 'squishier" than 6 weeks ago. I'm a little concerned because I've missed my last two periods. I promised myself I would only go as far as my body would let me. So I'm trying to cut back on training and need to focus my attention on clean/realistic eating.

Got to get my head on straight and strive for challenging yet realistic goals for me. I want to get back to where I was in March. I felt my best then. So lose about 8 pounds of fat, (slowly) and couple inches all over and I'll right back where I want to be

:) :)

jle
06-16-2004, 06:25 AM
I've mapped out my workouts and meals. I plan my next day's meals the night before - doing that really helps my stay on plan.

Period came back - finally - I was a little worried, but sure didn't miss it.

I'm running about 4 miles every other day, alternate days I do walk/run/sprint intervals on treadmill for 45-50 minutes. 4 good workouts - 1 rest day -repeat- Split my strength training - upper, lower, core ( cardio follows)

No sugar, no salt, no processed crap!!

running, lifting, training - and so it goes... :)

jle
06-16-2004, 06:33 AM
I've mapped out my workouts and meals. I plan my next day's meals the night before - doing that really helps my stay on plan.

Period came back - finally - I was a little worried, but sure didn't miss it.

I'm running about 4 miles every other day, alternate days I do walk/run/sprint intervals on treadmill for 45-50 minutes. 4 good workouts - 1 rest day -repeat- Split my strength training - upper, lower, core ( cardio follows)

No sugar, no salt, no processed crap!!

running, lifting, training - and so it goes... :)

lnepaint
06-21-2004, 01:30 PM
Do you have any updated pictures or is the one posted it? You look great!!!

jle
09-19-2004, 09:25 AM
hey all - I'm taking baby steps to get my training and diet back on track, I'm not going to give excuses because I don't believe in them. So now it's time for a fresh start. I've put about 10 pounds back on and increased about an inch and half all over. My pants are snug. :( Now is the time to do something about it.

New goals: 165# 39-29-39 by November 19
2200 cals/ day 45-35-20

Plan: 30-40 min strength training, followed by 30-40 cardio intervals

Emma-Leigh
09-19-2004, 03:14 PM
HEY - Welcome back!!! We missed you around here!

That is the only way to do it when you 'fall off' - get back on the horse and don't look back!

Good luck.

jle
09-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Yes, summer was crazy, my training really went down hill, thank goodness it didn't stop altogether. But a fresh start with new goals will be great. I'm looking forward to the weeks ahead.

jle
09-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Got up today and trained lower body, and did walk/run intervals on treadmill for 35 minutes. I'm feeling better mentally all ready. I need to get my determination and confidence back (damn I used to kick a$$). I'm focusing on one day at a time for now.

Ms. Lucy
09-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Hey Welcome Back!

Good to see you're getting back to it!--you were doing such an awesome job! (before/after pics wer awesome!)
Do you have a new set of goals?

jle
09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks all - I'm amazed at all the progress you guys have made!

Last week _ I felt like myself again, training and eating were much better, but without the obsession I was feeling this last spring. Cut the salt out, and getting more water in had beaten the bloat, and I feel better already. My workouts are good, and leave me with confidence and energy.

New goals - get back to where I was "loose 12", less than 20% Body Fat
running 2 miles + 5 times a week.

imperfectly_lou
09-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Welcome back! :)

micha1108
10-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey, you're quite strong!! Go on working out! Can you post your lastest progress?

Good luck!
Micha

bscrusher
10-23-2004, 06:54 PM
hi jle, well you hit the wall again in june. is this situation starting to look familiar? a smart person once said, "to do the same thing over and over, but expect different results, is insanity."

i suggest you try something DIFFERENT.

periodically overtraining yourself into a crisis is not good for you. in fact it will destroy you, despite your very strong constitution.

when you are on an effective and efficient program you will be devoting as little as 1 hour and 30 minutes per week to your training, 2 hours and 15 minutes max.

you will never be hungry.

you will never have doubts about whether it is "all worth it" because your regular, obvious progress will tell you it is worth it.

you will have a high energy level and a positive attitude.

you will have lots of time to do REAL LIFE THINGS instead of hanging out at the gym all the time.

how many hours per week do you waste "training"? try this, take the number of hours you "train" per week, subtract 2 hours and 15 minutes, the remainder is WASTED TIME. how much is it? 12 hours? 16 hours? what could you do with 12 hours a week? a lot, i can assure you. you could probably come up with a cure for cancer in a few months.

jle
10-29-2004, 09:21 AM
I'll never be hungry - whoo hoooo!
well trust me, I'm not overtraining now, I'm hardly what you'd call training - ha ha ha - Is it working? Hell, no, Do I fell good? Nope. Have I lost it all? Looks that way...

Suggestions ---????

bscrusher
10-29-2004, 04:20 PM
why yes jle, i DO have a suggestion or two.

if you are rested now, not exhausted from various other stresses in your life not related to training...

i suggest you start a SANE excercise program.

do this...

3 lifting sessions per week, each 45 minutes long.

use a muscle mass building protocol.

use only freeweights.

use a 3 way split.

use a big compond lift to start each workout.

make deadlifts and squats the emphasis of this program.

no cardio.

no direct ab training.

never be hungry.

never over-eat.

no junk food.

no processed lowfat "food".

no artificial sweeteners.

keep the processed sugar intake low.

eat most of your carbs in the morning or directly after lifting.

you will be eating something every 2 or 3 hours or so.

do this program for at least 8 weeks.

ramp up your intensity, don't start going hog wild.

this will get your metabolism correct and fast.

you will gain some muscle.

you will probably lose some fat.

you will feel awesome.

later we can start making adjustments to match your specific goals. these adjustments will never have you doing more than 90 minutes of excercise in any three day period. this excercise will tend to be very intense. generally that is how it will be for the rest of your life.

this is all you need jle, to really get yourself on track for the next 8 weeks.

seems so simple doesn't it? the best plans always are. have fun!

p.s. jle, you have not lost anything. at various points in your life you THOUGHT you had control of your health and fitness. that was an illusion. you never had control. what you had, and still have, is the favorable genetics that perhaps one out of one million persons are lucky enough to have. the universe is on your side jle, it's time to work with it instead of against it.

p.p.s. and no f**king processed low-carb "food"!

Emma-Leigh
10-30-2004, 01:24 AM
Suggestions ---????

Pull your finger out and get back to work!

;)

JLB04
11-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Jle - where are you - I so much enjoy reading your journal...come back soon.

Hammerhead63
11-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Get back to work. I've been waiting to see how this fitness quest plays out.
I know you can do it!!!!! My first actual post, after lurking for years. You've
come so far, don't turn back now.

jle
01-14-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm doing fine. Thank you for all those out there who have motivated me and cheered my past achievements. I think have found my feet again. I've started training again, and trying to make it habit again. I already feel so much better. I've started going to classes (spin and aerobics). I weight train 4 days a week. I started going the the gym after work, I find that I have no excuses, when I'm at home I find myself getting distracted and making excuses. I'm making new friends so I'm getting some support there as well.

I'm going on a Kodiak Brown Bear hunt with my husband in April (yes, I'm R.A.W. aka Real Alaskan Woman - ha,ha,ha) , so I'm starting to train so I can carry a loaded pack, rifle and walk through knee deep snow. Endurence is critical.

Also, my hubby and I are in the middle of the adoption process and hoping to start a family. :)

jle
01-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Last week was great, it felt to get back at it! Although there are no real visible results as of yet, I feel better. I'm still a little fearful of the measuring tape and scale and have avoided them. I've been mulling over the idea of taking some pics, but that's too scary as well. The biggest battle is thinking I can just snap back to where I was in a short amount of time. This time around I feel a little more grounded. I'm not rushing.

Food is coming back around, although I had a some slips.

Biggest priority now, is making it all a habit (not compulsion) again. :)

bscrusher
01-19-2005, 10:43 PM
you do not want to "snap back" to where you were jle.

where you were was a disaster. it was overtraining and wasting an incredible amount of time.

this time you want to make steady progress for a lifetime, and have a LIFE.

jle
01-20-2005, 10:07 AM
yeah, yeah, yeah.... I know... but we have to learn from our mistakes and battles and mine is primarily mental....

New Training Plan
Sun. OFF or spin class
Mon. Delts/Chest + Cardio/ABs
Tues. Tris/Bis + Spin class
Wed. Cardio/Abs
Thurs. Back/Glutes
Fri. Hams/ Quads/ Cardio intervals/ hill work
Sat. OFF

Goals: increase strength and endurance, lose some inches, gain energy, prepare for bear hunt.

bscrusher
01-20-2005, 10:35 PM
now that you have learned from your mistakes, don't make them again.

take sunday REALLY off, and take wednesday off also.

when is this bear hunt? i suggest training for that ONLY. that will get you into the best shape for the hunt, and the trip will be more fun. climbing hills with a heavy pack will have you plenty hard and strong.

after the hunt pick some new goals.

jle
01-22-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm sore, not so sore that I can't function, but sore enough to know I worked some muscles. As I become a "regular" in the gym, I'm feeling more and more like myslef. I missed Thursday's workout, and battling with skipping Friday, but instead drove myself there and got in there and did it. Legs and 30min of cardio intervals. I had missed my afternoon meal/pre-workout meal and was starving when I got home. I have to be careful with that because I end up eating and eating until I'm satifsfied and full. I've got a cold coming on and hoping it will be over soon.

Bear hunt is the first 2 weeks of May so I have lots of time to train.

Jennifer-Lynn
01-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Bear Hunt???? please explain :)