PDA

View Full Version : Diabetis

Fastone
12-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Just found out I have it to go along with my high blood pressure. Is anyone esle dealing with this and what modifications did you have to make in terms of training, supplements, etc.....

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

MiloMan
12-05-2003, 11:16 AM
Type II diabetes, I assume? To ask a couple of blunt questions, are you hauling around a lot of bodyfat? What is your resting heart rate, and what is your BP?

What do you do currently for an exercise program?

Fastone
12-05-2003, 02:43 PM
I started serious training again approx 3 months ago after an 8 year layoff. Right now my bodyfat level is about 12-14%. My heart rate isn't crazy either. My blood pressure has however, been a problem for the last two years. I just completed a prohormone cycle and I'm feeling the best that I have in years so, this whole thing kinda hit me stangely. I will admit that during my hiatus from training, I didn't treat myself too well.

IPR
12-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Is it controllable with tablets only?

If so, you may want to consider a low-carb keto type diet which has allowed manyt o get off meds all together.

MiloMan
12-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Fastone
I will admit that during my hiatus from training, I didn't treat myself too well.
All right, start treating yourself well. I'm not saying that it's be loosely related to the recent hormonal management either, but orals are harder on the kidneys, so it might be something to mull over.

Fastone
12-05-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by IPR
Is it controllable with tablets only?

If so, you may want to consider a low-carb keto type diet which has allowed manyt o get off meds all together.

That type of diet has been suggested to me by my doctor. At this point, I have a lot of things to look at and decide what will work best for me up to and including getting a second opinon.

Thanks for the feedback

AceRx
12-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Did your doctor prescribe you any medications?

Fastone
12-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Not as of yet, It was suggested that I give up creatine as it it hard on the kidneys and that I change my diet to a low calorie, low carb diet.

MiloMan
12-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Not as of yet, It was suggested that I give up creatine as it it hard on the kidneys and that I change my diet to a low calorie, low carb diet.
Did you tell your doctor you had also been doing PH?

Fastone
12-06-2003, 07:10 PM
No honestly, I didn't

MiloMan
12-07-2003, 05:57 AM
No honestly, I didn't
Didn't you think it was relevant? I'd bet you knew that it was.

Did you decide not to tell him because you thought he might disapprove, and advise you not to do that again?

I've seen this happen before with several people I know, and it worked a little like this: Their lifestyle and physical condition cause them to develop Type II diabetes. The blood tests are there, they've been done more than once, and their pancreas aren't doing a great job of regulating their blood sugar levels.

They go to a doctor, because they are rightly concerned, but when the doc tells them things they don't want to hear - they fear they will have to change their lifestyle ("don't do PH again, stop the creatine" and so forth) if they engage in a proper course of treatment.

However, they really don't want to change, so they engage in a form of denial and they hope that it will just get better without changing anything. They ignore the advice of the pro they paid to see, and all of the sudden they know better than the doc (because the alternative is changing their ways, which they aren't likely to do).

It sounds like you may be one of those people. If you insist on hormonally managing yourself, stay away from orals and go with IM injections of real anabolic steroids. It's dramatically more effective, and it's a bit easier on your body, due to the fact that you can consume far less (because it goes direct to the bloodstream, bypassing the GI tract).

In any case, you might use it to get used to needles, because if you don't change your priorities, you'll likely wind up on pills to control your condition, and later you'll go from pills to needles to stay alive. You could change your lifestyle then, but it'll be too late, as the damage will be permanent if allowed to get that far, and so you'll be a human pincushion every day.

Fastone
12-07-2003, 05:15 PM
I didn't say that I wouldn't change what I do. I started and completed my ph cycle before i had any idea about this. My diabetic result came up in routine bloodwork that i have done every year. Also medicine isn't an exact science and mistakes are made. I would knowing what I now know probably not do another ph cycle.

MiloMan
12-07-2003, 05:42 PM
That's a good call on the PH. While not averse to hormonal management (I've done it more than once myself, some years back), I strongly recommend legit anabolic steroids, rather than PH. While genuine AS are manufactured under very strict quality control standards (pharmaceutical quality, if you will), the same cannot be said of PH, or creatine, for that matter. That crap could be made in somebody's basement, for all we know, without any of the same process control that exists on a humble Maalox manufacturing line.

Orals are harder for the body to process than injections, for the reason that I alluded to previously, and this holds true even for pharmaceutical-quality prescription drugs. If you can shoot it, instead of swallowing it, you're almost always better off, and your body has a much easier time of it. As just one example, almost a couple of decades ago, a friend of mine wound up in the ER when his body finally decided that two Anadrol-50 tabs were too much - partial renal failure, which is a common symptom of poisoning (luckily it was completely reversible, he's not had any trouble since, and no more oral hormones). It was good AS, just too much, waaaay too much.