PDA

View Full Version : Motivation

newhope
10-07-2003, 08:35 AM
One of the main sources of energy you can feed your motivation with is the drive to succeed in a personal goal.

I myself, am 24 years old, and have been training with weights since I was 13. My physical progress has been good, to the point where its got me a few dates, and Im confident within myself, from an asthetic point of view, and also if there is ever a need for me to be stong, in personal defence or whatever, I know I have that extra strength. I dont belive however that in the past I have properly applied myself to bodybuilding... but Ive a feeling thats gonna change.

I had to (through illness) step away from the weights for a while back. During that time, as I have always been active, I needed some kind of exercise to keep sane, so I turned to running. This suited me, as its a good individual sport, as with bodybuilding, and you get out of it what you put in, again, as with bodybuilding. However, boredom was setting in fast. I needed something to aim for to justify all these miles that were tallying up.

I set myself the goal of a Marathon, which was madness at the time, but nevertheless, the gauntlet had been laid down, I had set myself the challenge, and I was damned if I was gonna let myself down.

I searched the internet and bookstores for routines and training guides, once I found one that suited a novice like me, I went through my diary, writing in each day the distances I had to run as part of training... 6 months in advance. When I came home from work, I would look in my diary, see what it was that I had to do, and do it.
Its that simple.

Rain, hail, snow, sun, night, it didnt matter, all I knew is I had to meet that goal, the 26+ miles of the Marathon.

Well, to cut a long story short (too late!), I should get to describing the feeling of finishing the marathon, well, I would if I could, but I cant! The pride, pain, and pride (I know, I already said pride, it's worth sayin twice) was without description or measure.

Well, its a few months later, Ive got the green light for weights again, and my immediate goal is to get back my lost muscle that illness and the marathon took away from me.

But you can guarantee, as soon as I meet that goal, I'll be setting another, and at this point, I imagine its got somethin to do with a suntan, a stage, bright lights and showin my future muscular ripped physique to a screamin crowd, and not caring what place I come in, because what will be important wont be judges desision, it will be the sense of fulfillment of reaching a personal goal, and the pride, pride, pride that comes with that.

Feelin Motivated?

newhope
10-13-2003, 08:32 AM
gee, obviously didnt motivate anyone to reply! lol, ah well, thats the way the big protein bar crumbles i guess...

sdge
11-03-2003, 03:12 PM
I fully agree with him. Sometimes when i'm down, and the ****ing pounds ain't coming off like i want them too, i think **** man, i've lost almost 45 lbs, KEEP ****ING GOING. Reaching a goal is better than any drug (recreational) or sexual gratification ever. Time to go joggin!

Plop
11-05-2003, 03:26 AM
what illness did you have that kept you out from weights ? if you don't mind me asking.

I had a 18 month lay off with chronic fatigue.....bad stuff

I am better now and have had a good 5 months in the gym........for a long time i though i would never get into a gym ever again !

hunk10387
12-13-2003, 09:50 PM
hey man that is incredible..keep it up!..maybe ill try the journal thing..