PDA

View Full Version : Hernia Repair Recovery

icanseetime
04-09-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm having a laparoscopic hernia repair surgery in about 2 weeks. How long until I'm back into heavy lifting? From what I understand, it's about 4-6 weeks before I can start running and lifting light, light weights, and another 4-6 weeks before I'll be back into the heavy stuff. Anybody else have experience they can share?

DYTrainer
04-09-2012, 06:33 AM
Had a hernia repaired about 10 years ago ( wow, didnt realize it has been that long). Recovery time will vary though. From what I can remember, looks like your timeline is about right. The important thing is not to push it back to soon. Must give the body time to finish repairing itself. Seems like a long time, but in the long run it really isnt. And for the first couple weeks you will have absolutely no desire to do anything remotely physical like the gym. Coughing and sneezing will be the extent of your physicality, and even that will hurt. Not sure how they are repairing yours, but they didnt use the mesh in mine and just used glue to close up the incision, so when the glue was done flaking off is when I began light psychical work. Not going to lie, a couple weeks in you will feel fine and want to push to go back the gym, but do not do that. This will inevitable just lead to a set back. Just gotta wait it out. Good luck!