PDA

View Full Version : Drastiic's 180 Day Cut Log

Drastiic
04-05-2012, 06:08 PM
On the 3rd day of my cut so far, so I might as well start one of these journals to keep track of how I feel throughout the process. I'll try to post in here daily.

My starting stats: male, 5'8", 175 lbs (79.3 kg), ~24-26% BF according to online calculators. I don't have any calipers yet.

Goals for October are to cut bodyfat% down to 12-15%. I'm what you can call a skinny fat person. I carry all my fat in my abdomen, lower back, & chest. With a shirt on, I look like I'm in ok shape. Without, I've got love handles galore and a flabby chest. Been like this since the 5th grade. Never really lifted weights on a consistent basis. Many people were fit and in shape when they were 18, but I wasn't...I just looked like I was.

I should look at it this as a healthy lifestyle and not just a healthy few weeks/months. I feel like I will be succeed this time around, because I'm a stronger person mentally than I was before. I'm also somewhat more organized.

I'm a big beer drinker and always have been. This is definitely the hardest part for me. I'm actually cutting some items out of my meals today in order to go have a few drinks with a friend later. But I'm still going to be within my macros and calories for the day, so I don't see it being a problem.

I log my meals on myfitnesspal.com (like fitday) and it allows me to tweak the numbers more precisely from day to day. It remembers past meals/food items, so it's very easy to copy from the day before and it doesn't take much time to do.

A normal day for me is:
Meal 1 - 1 English muffin, 1 whole egg, egg whites - I might alternate oatmeal at some point.

Meal 2 - 4 oz lean meat (chicken, turkey, etc), 2 slices bread (different fresh bakery breads)

Meal 3 (PWO) - 1 can tuna, 1 apple (different fruits)

Meal 4 - 12-18 leaves of romaine lettuce (it's a big salad), assortment of fruits/veggies, 4 oz lean meat

Meal 5 - 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 to 1 cup cottage cheese, banana (or other)

My lifestyle is very sedentary, so my BMR/BMI are low. I'm still in the trial & error phase trying to get my caloric intake to the correct amount. After a couple weeks, I will be able to better gauge according to progress and adjust appropriately at that point. I'll take weekly photos and eventually post them up after I've made more noticeable improvements.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-05-2012, 06:37 PM
lets do this!

Drastiic
04-05-2012, 10:56 PM
lets do this!
We're in this together. You're a couple weeks ahead of me so I'm forced to up my determination to match yours.

Tonight I went to a bar with 4 of my friends. I planned on having 3 vodka's with diet coke, but I messed up and accidentally got a coke on the first one. OMG OH NOOooo's!!!1 So I went over on my calories by 22. No big deal. The temptation was out in full force tonight. I hadn't hung out with 3 of them in awhile (7 months) due to me separating myself from being influenced and me influencing them. I just overcame a period in my life where I was drinking a lot, doing drugs, lost a job, got out of a relationship, and went thru a tough depression. Me saying that I wasn't drinking much turned into them asking why not. The easiest thing to do in that situation is to not give them the whole truth and make up a bull**** excuse. I didn't mention the whole cut thing, and that I was bettering myself, because no one wants to hear that ****. They really don't want to know or understand it. Other than that, I had a pretty good day lifting and eating right. Just another day.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
We're in this together. You're a couple weeks ahead of me so I'm forced to up my determination to match yours.

Tonight I went to a bar with 4 of my friends. I planned on having 3 vodka's with diet coke, but I messed up and accidentally got a coke on the first one. OMG OH NOOooo's!!!1 So I went over on my calories by 22. No big deal. The temptation was out in full force tonight. I hadn't hung out with 3 of them in awhile (7 months) due to me separating myself from being influenced and me influencing them. I just overcame a period in my life where I was drinking a lot, doing drugs, lost a job, got out of a relationship, and went thru a tough depression. Me saying that I wasn't drinking much turned into them asking why not. The easiest thing to do in that situation is to not give them the whole truth and make up a bull**** excuse. I didn't mention the whole cut thing, and that I was bettering myself, because no one wants to hear that ****. They really don't want to know or understand it. Other than that, I had a pretty good day lifting and eating right. Just another day.

22 calories over? lol.

on a serious note, it is just another day. at least that's what everyday feels like for me. but when u add all those days up, and u keep executing your diet and exercise, my experience so far is that the results are exponential! keep it up bro!

i actually started back in mid february. well, sort of. i started by eating less, but then got serious about my diet and exercise. there comes a point, where the diet becomes routine/habbit, and you no longer have to try anymore. u just get use to it. not sure if you're at that stage yet, if you are, then you'll just know it.

keep it going! and incase you do have a rough day, or a slip up...try and remember how you feel about it. so next time, before you slip up, you'll remind yourself of that feeling, and you'll want to avoid it. i used this technique in the past, and it helped. good luck.

Drastiic
04-07-2012, 07:57 AM
on a serious note, it is just another day. at least that's what everyday feels like for me. but when u add all those days up, and u keep executing your diet and exercise, my experience so far is that the results are exponential! keep it up bro!
Thanks for the inspirational talk. This quote helps me out through the day. “Don't count the days, make the days count.” --Muhammad Ali

i actually started back in mid february. well, sort of. i started by eating less, but then got serious about my diet and exercise. there comes a point, where the diet becomes routine/habbit, and you no longer have to try anymore. u just get use to it. not sure if you're at that stage yet, if you are, then you'll just know it.
For the past 6 months I've been eating healthy foods, I was just eating too much. My love for food made it hard to stop eating, and I was drinking a lot of beer. So I've slowly tapered things off so that I wouldn't be going into this full blown head on. A few small changes over time is better than trying to change your entire life all at one time...at least for me.

keep it going! and incase you do have a rough day, or a slip up...try and remember how you feel about it. so next time, before you slip up, you'll remind yourself of that feeling, and you'll want to avoid it. i used this technique in the past, and it helped. good luck.
Thanks!

Yesterday was an ok day. Food-wise I got pretty hungry last night and was getting tired around 8:30pm. I didn't give in and only ate what was planned, but the cravings were there. Depending on how I feel in the next few days, I might up my calories.

As for my workout, it was my light day and everything went well except for squats. I really enjoy squats, but I was only able to pull out 1 set of 3 reps. It had been 2 days since I did them last and it definitely wasn't enough recovery time. I couldn't even go down with just the bar for my warm up set. This past week I've been trying to figure out what poundages to use on my exercises so I did the sets as outlined, but I'm counting this as a warm up week. Starting Monday I'll restart as Week 1; reps at 8 again. The exercises I do are outlined in all pro's workout plan which are: Squats, Calf Raises, Shoulder Press, Bench Press, Bent-Over Rows, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, & Barbell Curls.

Drastiic
04-07-2012, 10:02 AM
This is my home weight setup:

I don't have much room to work with. My whole setup is actually in my upstairs bedroom. I allotted a 8' x 8' area for everything and it fits no problem. I have 8' ceilings.

-Power rack from here: amazon.com/gp/product/B004UMM4QC/ - They sell them 1 at a time, so if it says Currently Unavailable, check back in 1-2 days and it will be back in stock. I bought mine March 25 for $197.97 + $99.99 shipping = Total $297.96. I ordered it on a Sunday night and received it the following Thursday afternoon. 2" hole spacing. For the money, you can't beat it. I'm extremely satisfied with the rack.

-Ironmaster Super Bench: ironmaster.com/Super-Bench-Combo-Deal.html#.T4BviJlSRqk I ordered it from their website because it was cheaper than Amazon, and they had a package deal to include the decline attachment and dip bars. It was $349 + $49 shipping = $398. I ordered it April 2 Monday and received it on Thursday.
Amazon link: amazon.com/Ironmaster-Super-Bench-Adjustable-weight-lifting/dp/B000FMYAOA/ref=sr_1_1

-7' Olympic bar and 300 lbs in weights from Dick's Sporting Goods: dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10793623 - I went to the store and picked them up. It was $209.99 + tax = $230. I found the set in the store and told the salesman I wanted to buy it, and he loaded the weights and bar onto a cart and wheeled it up to the cash register. Then he wheeled it out to my car, and helped me load it. It doesn't come in a box if you're wondering...LOL.

-Standard 1" EZ Curl bar (10 lbs) and an assortment of 1" weights that I've had laying around the house. I still use these because some of the exercises I do would be too heavy if I used the Olympic bar.

Drastiic
04-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Well I went over my calories today by 200 and it's only 8:30PM :( Guess who's going to be snacking on pickles instead of cottage cheese later tonight.

I went to midtown with some friends for the crawfish festival they have every year. 3rd year in a row I've been. They were much better this year than last year. I kind of forgot about the whole thing until a friend texted about it, so I had no time to prepare any meals to take with me. Went to a bar afterwards and the healthiest thing on the menu was a chicken wrap w/ creamed spinach. I also had about 6 glasses of water or more. I got badgered about not drinking again. One girl kept bothering me about it and wanted me to tell her what the reason was for why I wasn't drinking, so after a good while I finally told her. Then she looked me over real good and said, "What do you mean? You're already in good shape." Sigh... Needless to say, it's not much fun when you're the only one that's sober. True, I could have a few beers if I wanted and could make them fit my macros/cals, but if I start doing it one day then what's to stop me from doing it every day? I can and will often times go out every night of the week. IMO it's much healthier for me to eat my calories rather than drink them.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-08-2012, 05:03 AM
congrats on the keeping the control! its a lot easier for me, because i choose not to go out. if i did go out, it would be a lot harder for me. but you're able to go out, and also stay away from the alcohol. that's mind over matter right there!

i really like your power rack. i thought they would have been more expensive, but the price seems very reasonable. when i move out of my current place, which is too small, i think i'll be getting one. is it sturdy as is looks? also, that is one nice looking bench!

i wish i had taken the time to write down my poundages for each exercise. its very worth it to do so! for me, it took me about 3 weeks to memorize where i'm at in all my lifts, including some of the machines i used. if i had just written it down the first week, i'd have less trial and error every time i went to a new exercise. make sure you use a notepad and pen! i can't stress this more, i wish i had done this! eventually, you might not need the notepad/pen, because everything gets memorized.

but regardless, sometimes i think i should still use it, just so i can document my progress. doesn't matter how much you lift, that's not what i use it for, i just use it for progress. starting monday, i'm taking a pen/notepad to the gym now! that's going to be my new thing i do.

Drastiic
04-08-2012, 08:49 AM
congrats on the keeping the control! its a lot easier for me, because i choose not to go out. if i did go out, it would be a lot harder for me. but you're able to go out, and also stay away from the alcohol. that's mind over matter right there!
It. is. difficult. I associate drinking with fun. And I'm just not having fun when I go out now. :( I'm still weathering the storm. At some point, it will pass. I never said I was going to stop drinking for 6 months, but at this point I'd like to see if I can do it just for the sake of doing it to practice self-control.

i really like your power rack. i thought they would have been more expensive, but the price seems very reasonable. when i move out of my current place, which is too small, i think i'll be getting one. is it sturdy as is looks? also, that is one nice looking bench!
It's sturdy enough for me. Welds all looked good. I was hesitant on purchasing it due to there not being many reviews about it, but I pulled the trigger on it after someone posted a video review on it. Also, in the reviews customers suggested to the seller that they change the powder coating on the safety spotters to chrome due them flaking, and the seller went with that suggestion. I thought that was pretty neat. It is a basic rack. No bells & whistles. No lat pulleys. I'd recommend you to do your own research with your own search parameters and wallet size. There are lots of better racks out there, but for a starter rack I'm quite satisfied with it so far.

As for the bench, it's somewhat expensive. There have been a ton of questions on this forum on what's a good FID bench, and lots of members on here recommended this bench. It's rated for 1000# flat, 600# incline. There's a video review of it on Amazon. I'll probably never have to buy another bench in my lifetime. I have a few issues with it, but I weighed the pros and cons of it and am happy with my purchase.

i wish i had taken the time to write down my poundages for each exercise. its very worth it to do so! for me, it took me about 3 weeks to memorize where i'm at in all my lifts, including some of the machines i used. if i had just written it down the first week, i'd have less trial and error every time i went to a new exercise. make sure you use a notepad and pen! i can't stress this more, i wish i had done this! eventually, you might not need the notepad/pen, because everything gets memorized.
I have my workout in a spreadsheet on my laptop five feet away. :) Another thing that I did for each exercise & set is wrote down what plate sizes to use. Like for example instead of writing down 75 lbs, I would write something like this....Set 1: 10, 5 would mean 10 lb plate + 5 lb plate per side. Set 2: 10, 5, 2.5 (=80 Assuming 45 lbs olympic bar). This saves me a lot of time because I don't have to calculate anything.

but regardless, sometimes i think i should still use it, just so i can document my progress. doesn't matter how much you lift, that's not what i use it for, i just use it for progress. starting monday, i'm taking a pen/notepad to the gym now! that's going to be my new thing i do.
Check out this link: leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-look-awesome-every-day.html

Drastiic
04-08-2012, 08:12 PM
Calories and macros were on target today.

Went out to a restaurant for dinner tonight with a motorcycle buddy. Ordered a large chicken house salad, no dressing. When I said no dressing, the waitress was surprised by that. For the past 3 months I've been eating salad with no dressing, and I actually like & prefer it that way now. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after awhile you start enjoying the taste/juices of the salad itself as well as everything else you put into it. I planned to have 3 beers, but only had 2. My normal Fat Tire. About to go have some cottage cheese to finish off my night.

ahkjdh13
04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Nice work, keep it up brah

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Calories and macros were on target today.

Went out to a restaurant for dinner tonight with a motorcycle buddy. Ordered a large chicken house salad, no dressing. When I said no dressing, the waitress was surprised by that. For the past 3 months I've been eating salad with no dressing, and I actually like & prefer it that way now. It takes a bit of getting used to, but after awhile you start enjoying the taste/juices of the salad itself as well as everything else you put into it. I planned to have 3 beers, but only had 2. My normal Fat Tire. About to go have some cottage cheese to finish off my night.

keep it up! i know what you mean about food tasting good. i use to be a smoker, for 10 years. i quit in January this year, and I've been enjoying foods much more. quit one addiction, and started another with exercise! definitely feels good.

i've learned to like cottage cheese before bed, i can't go without it now. but i have to add some splenda to it. how much cottage cheese do you eat in one sitting? i'm taking in a cup, which i didn't realize is quite a bit.

Drastiic
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Nice work, keep it up brah
Thanks

keep it up! i know what you mean about food tasting good. i use to be a smoker, for 10 years. i quit in January this year, and I've been enjoying foods much more. quit one addiction, and started another with exercise! definitely feels good.
I quit smoking around April 2011 but took up dipping instead. Breaking the nicotine addiction is something I've been really thinking about for a long time. I just recently started smoking again in the past 2 weeks. Only smoking while drinking out socially turned into smoking whenever I'm out. It's something that has to stop. It's all mental. I just have to start thinking about it the way I did last time. I can do it, it's just a matter of how much I want it.

I read about addictive personalities today. I've always known that I have one. Reading the wikipedia definition struck a real chord with me. Agreeing on all points, except for the gambling part. I got there by reading this interesting article: leangains.com/2011/02/how-to-walk-talk-and-unlock-your-true.html

i've learned to like cottage cheese before bed, i can't go without it now. but i have to add some splenda to it. how much cottage cheese do you eat in one sitting? i'm taking in a cup, which i didn't realize is quite a bit.
I eat it at night, so by that time I'm already really close to my calorie cut-off. I usually eat a 1/2 cup. If I have some extra calories I'll go for 1 cup.

Drastiic
04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
I've been reading a lot of information on this intermittent fasting (IF) stuff. I'm actually very interested in it, and I think it would suit my lifestyle quite nicely. I already don't each much in the mornings and often times have to force myself to eat my first two meals because I'm simply just not hungry. Eating a meal in the morning usually upsets my stomach. I'd much prefer to eat a large quantity of food in 2-3 sittings rather than these 5 or so meals I eat a day. I'm still in the research phase on this.

Drastiic
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Last week I started at 175, and this morning I'm 169. Been hovering at the weight for about 4 days now. I'm guessing that was all the initial water weight. Calorie wise I'm setup for a decrease of 1.5 lbs weekly, so I'll evaluate how I'm doing next Monday.

Calories/macros were on target today.

As for lifting, I got worn out after doing squats, calf-raises, shoulder press, & bench. I decided to split the work and do the rest of the exercises tomorrow. Those being barbell rows, stiff-legged dead lifts, & barbell curls. My intensity was pretty high and today was heavy day. Another reason I shortened today's workout is because it was already at about 45 minutes. I seriously doubt I should be training any longer than that. That's probably why I was fatigued. Still adjusting poundages, but after tomorrow I should have them all dialed in appropriately.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
congrats on being on target for calories/macros. nice to read you were lifting intense, and hard. i myself had a mediocre day today, chest/tri. last week i felt a lot stronger, but this week i couldn't match my reps from last week. oh well. i think i may look into getting a pre workout supplement for squats/bench/back days, which would be 3x per week. btw, i also am interested in IF. i sort of have an idea what its about, but not the specifics.

Drastiic
04-10-2012, 11:17 PM

Was sluggish around 1pm and didn't lift. In fact, I took a 3 hour nap which is why I'm up writing this right now.

I'm fiddling around with my macros tonight. I made a really detailed spreadsheet to figure out that whole post "Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs." A few inputs and BAM, it spits out all kinds of numbers. I was trying to make it as dummy proof as possible, but it can still get somewhat complicated if you don't have at least a little clue to what's going on. There's just so many different variables to choose from. All I need now is to figure out how to use these damn calipers accurately. I have a hard enough time using a body tape measure...lol.

I bought a few items on Amazon tonight: EatSmart Precision GetFit Scale, Polar FT4M heart rate monitor, and a Fitbit. I bought these for my parents, which means I'll still be able to use them. These are the best kinds of gifts.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Was sluggish around 1pm and didn't lift. In fact, I took a 3 hour nap which is why I'm up writing this right now.

I'm fiddling around with my macros tonight. I made a really detailed spreadsheet to figure out that whole post "Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs." A few inputs and BAM, it spits out all kinds of numbers. I was trying to make it as dummy proof as possible, but it can still get somewhat complicated if you don't have at least a little clue to what's going on. There's just so many different variables to choose from. All I need now is to figure out how to use these damn calipers accurately. I have a hard enough time using a body tape measure...lol.

I bought a few items on Amazon tonight: EatSmart Precision GetFit Scale, Polar FT4M heart rate monitor, and a Fitbit. I bought these for my parents, which means I'll still be able to use them. These are the best kinds of gifts.

i'm going to look into that bod fit watch, at least i think that's what its called. its suppose to measure your calorie expenditure during the day. not sure how accurate it is, but it might help me stay on target, as my daily routine varies from week to week.

also, are you still looking into Intermittent Fasting? I've not yet figured everything out yet, but its something I might try down the road. I like the convenience of it.

Drastiic
04-11-2012, 11:56 PM
i'm going to look into that bod fit watch, at least i think that's what its called. its suppose to measure your calorie expenditure during the day. not sure how accurate it is, but it might help me stay on target, as my daily routine varies from week to week.
I'm using it more as a toy than anything else. Sure, I'd like for it to be accurate as hell, but I've read that it can be or it isn't. If it helps you stay on target or it motivates you, how much is it really worth? That's for you to decide.

also, are you still looking into Intermittent Fasting? I've not yet figured everything out yet, but its something I might try down the road. I like the convenience of it.
I'm still open to the idea. I already do some variation of it, so I don't see why I couldn't do it. It's a simple concept. Fast for 16 hours, eat for 8 hours. If you work out before the 8 hour "feast", then take a BCAA pre-workout. That's basically the gist of it.

My calories/macros were good today, up until my friend, who is graduating tomorrow, called me. I won't type a bunch of **** to excuse my actions. I had several Maker's and cokes, some sushi, and lots of cigarettes. I don't know the amount, nor do I care (it was over $100). I'll care when the scale doesn't move and I don't move for the week. Life happens, and sometimes I have no control.

I made up for Monday's lifting that I didn't do yesterday. Yes, that sounds confusing. I'm confused. Wait!! What the **** did you just say?

Drastiic
04-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Yesterdays calories were about 1200 over, maybe more maybe less.

Today was supposed to be damage control, but I went over by 150. I ate at Qdoba for dinner and didn't realize the burrito I ate had 1030 calories...FML. I'll get back on track tomorrow. My FitBit and scale came in today. The scale shows me at 17% bodyfat, which is obviously way inaccurate as expected. It doesn't help that I'm a skinny fat person, so I may have a really low BF% in my legs/arms, but have a high BF% in my abdominal area which if averaged out might equal 17% give or take. Usually when people ask for an estimation, people aren't looking at the whole body to give an overall estimate.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-13-2012, 12:57 PM
what are your calorie/macro goals? and do you already have in mind, what you're going to eat for the day? i can't imagine eating whatever i want, and then calculating the macros/calories later. if i did that, i'd fail every single time.

by calculating first, and eating later, i know what i'm eating, and I'm meeting my calorie and macro requirements.

Drastiic
04-13-2012, 01:40 PM
what are your calorie/macro goals? and do you already have in mind, what you're going to eat for the day? i can't imagine eating whatever i want, and then calculating the macros/calories later. if i did that, i'd fail every single time. by calculating first, and eating later, i know what i'm eating, and I'm meeting my calorie and macro requirements.

Well my calories right now are at about 1450 per day which most people would say is too low. However, I am not most people and my activity level is really low. Some days I don't even leave my house. I sit in front of a computer for long periods of time. Macros are 40p/40c/20f based. Depending on progress or lack thereof, I'll either up my calories or keep them the same but start being more active (cardio).

Yes, I already have in mind what I'll be eating. Everyday I have a food schedule, but I don't make my meals in advance. Sometimes I have to go out unexpectedly, and when I'm out my cravings start taking over. That's something I have to work on.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
04-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Yes, I already have in mind what I'll be eating. Everyday I have a food schedule, but I don't make my meals in advance. Sometimes I have to go out unexpectedly, and when I'm out my cravings start taking over. That's something I have to work on.

For me, I just plan in advance what I'd eat, and where. For instance, I know that if I go to Burger King, Chik-fil-a, or Subway, what to get. And if I eat that, I know what to remove from my food plan, to assure that my macros and calories are in check. Just go online, and figure everything out for the most common places you go. You cannot fail this way.

As for your low calories, I'm beginning to think that if you don't do much during the day, then they should be okay for you. Like you, I'm mostly behind a desk. And I think 2200 calories per day is too much for me. If I had the daily schedule of an average man, then 2200 would be good for a cut. But I seriously have much less activity, so I think I may need to drop it down to 2000 or something. But instead, I just compensated with extra cardio this week, and kept the calories at 2200, so will be interesting to see how that affects my weight loss.

Good luck bro. Definitely figure out the macros and calories for foods at your favorite places to eat. And get an idea of how those foods change your current diet plan, and that way, you can plan accordingly.

Drastiic
04-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Well it's been a week since I last wrote anything in here. I haven't quit out or anything, but I just don't visit these forums as much. With that in mind, I'll post updates when I get around to it.

Well I've lost around 4-7 lbs since I started 3 weeks ago. Most days I eat around 1400-1500 and then a 2-3 days out of the week I'll consume 2000-2500 or so due to my awesome drinking habit. I'm averaging about 1650 calories per day for the week. I'm going to continue doing this for another 2 weeks or so and adjust higher if things stall out. My activity hasn't increased, and I'm not starving myself but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm eating enough. I'll adjust based off results.

Drastiic
05-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Last Friday (4/27) I decided to bump up my calories to around 1888.

For some reason, I thought I was different from everyone else and that I could eat lower calories. I did and didn't have a problem feeling full because the foods I eat are not calorie-dense. Anyways, I'm trying something different because I haven't seen any positive progress in terms of scale weight in over a month. I lost about 4 lbs the past month, but most of that was attributed to the first few days in the first week due to water weight. I started at 177 and today I'm at 173....36 days later. My weight has been fluctuating between 172-174 everyday between there and here eating at an average of 1650 calories.

With that in mind, I felt like I was stuck. I wasn't eating many calories and it's not like I wanted to decrease more. That would be just plain ridiculous. So with not much change in over a month, what do I do? I thought this over for about a week and decided to increase my calories closer to maintenance. At this point I'm not really sure where maintenance is, but according to some calculations it's between 2150-2300. That's how I chose 1800-1900..nothing too drastic. What's the worst thing that could happen? The worst thing would be that I stay the same weight. The best thing that could come out of this would be for me to either gain weight or lose weight. Then, I would know what to do.

By eating at a low calorie amount, I'm assuming that I may have slowed my metabolism. And by increasing my calories for a period of time, I'm also assuming that my body will recognize that it's getting what it needs and will start to lose once again.

Also, I'm going to be incorporating more vegetables into my meals. I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday and spent about $30 on kale, collard greens, broccoli, romaine lettuce, snow peas, spinach, red peppers, etc. I'm going to attempt to incorporate them into each and every meal. I was already eating a salad for dinner, but obviously that's not enough. So, I'm going to try for around 4-5 cups (800-1000 grams) of cooked veggies per day which is a lot.

And, I feel as though my drinking has played a part in me stalling out. I've decided to cut it out. Drinking just leads to bad decisions overall...at least for me. So this is something that I will be struggling with on a daily basis.

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
05-02-2012, 03:00 AM
congrats on the new direction. i've also increased my calorie recently, and also included some veg's, and still not consuming alcohol. but my reason for increasing calories, is because i enjoy doing more cardio. i still want to lose fat of course, but even if i lose just 1 lb per week, and my stomach stays full, then i'm happy. remember to drink lots of water! for some odd reason, i feel as though water is helping me in this a lot1

Drastiic
05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
congrats on the new direction. i've also increased my calorie recently, and also included some veg's, and still not consuming alcohol. but my reason for increasing calories, is because i enjoy doing more cardio. i still want to lose fat of course, but even if i lose just 1 lb per week, and my stomach stays full, then i'm happy. remember to drink lots of water! for some odd reason, i feel as though water is helping me in this a lot1

I drink a ton of water. In fact, I usually wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. Then I wake up and have to pee more. During the day, I pee every 2-4 hours. I'm having some difficulty hitting my increased calories due to the added veggie intake. I'm having to force myself to eat, which isn't going over so well right now. Hopefully, in a few days I'll get more used to it. My fiber intake is definitely getting up to normal levels. I'm aiming for 27g per day, and yesterday and today have each been 21.

Drastiic
05-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Workouts have been great this week. Tuesday's heavy day took 60 minutes, today's medium day took 48 minutes. Saturday is my light day.

I was lifting half-assed the previous 4 weeks. Since I was so out of shape, the full-body workouts wore me out extremely fast. I basically split my heavy workout into 2 days, the medium into 2 days, and kept the light at 1 day. What eventually happened would be me missing a workout because I didn't feel like lifting or because I was hungover. That equated into me doing a testing phase first week, week 1 twice, and now week 2 twice. Middle of last week, I decided to buckle down and finish the workouts no matter how long they take and quit making excuses. In the end, I want results and I have no one to blame but myself if I don't give my full effort. I'm actually looking forward to the workouts now, because I enjoy the feeling of completing them.

Drastiic
05-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Just finished working out today, and I'm exhausted after 45 minutes. I've been using my heart rate monitor when I strength train, but I'm only using it to see what my heart rate is on a consistent basis and how long my workouts are. I use it to gauge how much rest I need in between sets. This week came out to 2 hours and 34 minutes total. Avg heart rate 141, Avg max heart rate 166. Also, today is Day 9 of sobriety.

Drastiic
05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Tuesday's workout was 60 minutes, Thursday's workout was 48 minutes. I've added in some cardio, because I'm feeling more energized and want to get out and enjoy the nice weather. My healthier lifestyle has motivated one of my friends, which really helps because I'm not alone anymore. My parents have started watching their portions, and I'm helping them log their foods. They're becoming more aware of what they're eating, which can only turn into positive changes.

I haven't been an outdoorsy person in more than a decade, and now I want to get out and do stuff. Last Thursday I went and played tennis with said friend. I haven't played tennis since I was probably 12. I swung and missed so many backhands, but it was a lot of fun. It was fun to just get out, be active, and sweat a bit. Yesterday, I woke up early and went to the park and walked for 20 minutes. Then I went to the big park and walked off-road for 2 miles. It's not something I normally would have wanted to do, but it's growing on me.

I'm still not seeing the scale move, but I'm feeling healthier and more fit than I was before I started. I'm stronger and looking forward to each day. Today is also Day 14 of being sober, and I don't have any urge to drink either. I can't wait to see how I look and feel in another month.

Drastiic
05-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I woke up sore on Saturday, so I switched my workout to today and just finished the 45 min workout. I woke up sore this morning as well, so it's either just going to be like that from now on or I slept awkward two days in a row. It could be just the fact that I'm increasing my reps by 1 each week. Next week is 11 reps per set, so I guess I'll be finding out real soon.

Weekly weight lifting duration:
Week 4: 2 hours and 33 minutes total. Avg heart rate 137, Avg max heart rate 165
Week 3: 2 hours and 34 minutes total. Avg heart rate 141, Avg max heart rate 166

My weight chart for the last 40 days has been ridiculous. Fluctuating constantly between 171-174. So, I looked up some places nearby to get my Resting Metabolic Rate tested, and I found a university nearby that offers it for a fee. So, on Thursday I'm going to get tested and hopefully it will shed some light as to what's going on. I'm tired of guessing and need a more accurate figure to go by. I'm also getting my body fat tested via 7-point calipers.

Drastiic
05-13-2012, 12:41 PM
I'll be posting more photos once I hit 50 posts.

Here's my weight chart for the last 30 days. This is why I'm somewhat aggravated.

Drastiic
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Went to Shelby Farms today and walked around the lake one time for 35 minutes, 1.62 miles. I usually get really tired between 2-5pm everyday, so instead of fighting the urge to not take a nap, I'll just go up there and walk. Doing heavy calf-raises 3x/week makes it pretty difficult to walk long distances, so I may have to cut back to only doing them twice per week. Once I work up my endurance for a few weeks, I plan on doing the Couch25K program. I think that's about as far-fetched of an idea anybody I know would think I would do, so it sounds like a good idea.

Drastiic
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Did heavy day yesterday for 49 minutes. I'm finding that the warm-up sets are basically becoming work sets in themselves. I only did the 25% warm-up and took out the 50% warm-up, because it was fatiguing me too much for the actual work sets. If I had done them, I highly doubt I would have been able to complete all the reps in the work sets. Played tennis for an hour last night with 2 of my buddies. Wasn't as pathetic as the last time...lol. Mother's Day dinner was the first meal I hadn't logged in 41 days, and I'm still paying for it this week in water retention but it should subside by the end of the week.

Drastiic
05-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Lab results from yesterday:

Had my body fat tested by a well-trained individual that has lots of experience with it. It was a 7-point caliper test and the measurements were taken in two cycles, then a 3rd cycle to check for accuracy if there was a variance, then the mean was calculated. It came out to 176 lbs @ 26.4%, 129.5 lbs Lean Mass, 46.4 Fat Mass

Pectoral: 23, Triceps: 14, Subscapula: 32, Abdominals: 41, Suprailiac: 38, Midaxilla: 30, Quadriceps: 19, Total Mean: 197

Had my Resting Metabolism Rate (RMR) tested. It was calculated from VO2 (ml/kg/min). I went in the morning in a fasted state. I had to breathe through a jet pilot-type face mask that cut off air going into/out my nose and only breath in/out through my mouth for 30 minutes, with a 5 minute getting used-to phase before that. Then, I basically watched a computer monitor plot out 2 separate scattergraphs while the person administering it jotted down specific data values every couple minutes. It was a boring process. End result is that my RMR is 1230 calories.

What does that tell me? Well it tells me that my actual number is 400-500 calories lower than what most calculators online say my BMR is. Looking at my own data for the past 40 days calorie-wise, I'm maintaining at about 1750 calories. I started low at 1400-1500 then worked my way up to 1900-2000 currently and I've been staying steady within 5 lbs of when I started. It seems awfully low to be maintaining at that, but the data doesn't lie. I am quite sedentary and sit on my ass for long periods of time throughout the day. Even with lifting weights for an hour 3x per week and walking occasionally, I'm not doing much else the rest of the day. So for the next 3 weeks, I'm going to set my intake to a consistent 1700 calories per day, while netting at least 1230 calories and see what happens. Then, I will adjust based off real-life results.

Attached is a back photo taken Sunday, May 13, 2012.

Drastiic
05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
I did medium day on Friday and light day today. Friday I took out the 50% warmup, but today I kept it in. I'm finding that I need more rest between sets.

Weekly weight lifting duration:
Week 5: 2 hours and 29 minutes total. Avg heart rate 134, Avg max heart rate 164
Week 4: 2 hours and 33 minutes total. Avg heart rate 137, Avg max heart rate 165
Week 3: 2 hours and 34 minutes total. Avg heart rate 141, Avg max heart rate 166

On Friday, I started a 30 day challenge against myself. The challenge is to go to Shelby Farms (http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/TrailsHomePage.aspx?pid=11&spid=71) and walk around Patriot Lake (1.6 miles) at least once every day for the next 30 days. Rain or shine. The end goal behind this challenge is to create a new healthy habit of getting out and exercising everyday regardless of how I feel. Yes, my calves are sore as hell doing calf-raises 3x per week, but that's just another excuse. Another side-goal is for me to build up more endurance so that I'm able to increase the 1 loop to 2 loops. This endurance will help prepare me for when I start running. If I can't walk 4 miles, then I surely can't run 4 miles.

I went to a local running store and got fitted for some new shoes. I have flat feet (thanks Dad!) and an over-pronator. After trying on about 7 different pairs of stability-control (motion control), I finally found one that supported my feet properly and that were specifically wide enough for me. I got the Brooks Beast (http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Beast-Best-Motion-Control-Running-Shoe/110079,default,pd.html) (Wide). I also picked up some nice wicking socks (http://www.swiftwick.com/aspire-zero-9967-prd1.htm) that keep my feet from being sweaty.

fitCameron
05-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Interesting idea for your challenge there. Definitely stick to it! :)

Drastiic
05-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Interesting idea for your challenge there. Definitely stick to it! :)

Thanks! 3 for 3 last week.

For the past 14 days, I've been doing a little experiment by weighing myself before I go to bed and then weighing when I wake up. My findings are as follows:

Average weight difference: -1.5 lbs, Most: -2.0 lbs (1 times), Least: -1.0 lbs (1 time)

All days: -1.2, -1.2, -1.6, -1.4, -1.8, -1.6, -1.8, -2.0, -1.6, -1.0, -1.6, -1.4, -1.8, -1.2

Drastiic
05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
My excuses were out in full force today. Around 2 pm, I was getting tired and almost took a nap. I was telling myself that I would just go to the neighborhood park and walk later on. I got my **** together though. I went up to the lake and walked the loop twice, which is the most I've done. I had more left in the tank for a third round, but I had already been walking for an hour so I didn't want to push it. Since I'm doing the loop everyday, there's no reason for me to go all out and wear myself out unnecessarily. 4 for 4.

I still had to stop after the first 10 minutes and stretch out my calves. I also find it weird that after I'm done with 3/4 of the loop, that my calves don't hurt. It's as if I'm just walking around the house. The whole next loop, my calves didn't hurt it all. Not even a little bit of pain. It's like after I reach a certain threshold, I feel like I can walk forever.

Drastiic
05-22-2012, 04:12 PM
This morning I did heavy day. It's the last heavy day of the 5 week cycle, and I was able to complete all 12 reps for all the exercises. I still have 2 more days left of this cycle. I'm debating on whether or not to take a week off. I'm also thinking about trying Stronglifts 5x5. It's basically the same exercises, but with a different rep scheme. For one thing, I'm not interested in adding any other exercises. The basics are fine with me. Today's workout was 75 minutes, which is 15 min more than usual. I rested longer between sets. It was necessary.

I'm 5 for 5 on my walking challenge. Every single day I have to stop walking after the first 10 min and stretch my calves. Today was a bit difficult due to lifting heavy today and probably has to do with walking every day without a rest day. Hopefully I'll feel less sore tomorrow. I'm having to adjust to the lower food intake and increased activity. I'm actually finding it challenging, where as before, I never felt hungry.

Drastiic
05-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Challenge: 6 for 6, and 7 for 7.

So, the walking thing is coming along pretty good. I got my parents involved as well. They usually go to the community center and swim/walk/yoga in the mornings. I got my mother to come walk with me yesterday, and today both my mother and father came along. I can't remember the last time we walked together in a park for exercise. It has to be at least over 15 years ago. It's much easier to walk when you have people to talk to; usually I just have my headphones in. The park was unusually dead, but it was probably due to the heat. It was about 90 degrees today, but extremely windy. There were even a couple guys windsurfing.

Today was week 5 medium day and lasted just under 60 minutes. I finally understand the math involved with the rep scheme. "In order to add 1 rep each week, your 1 rep max has to increase by about 2.5% each week." So basically, after 5 weeks you'll reach the 12 reps and you've added 10% to your starting weight. Then you start the cycle over again with that extra 10% at 8 reps and repeat the process. It's nice to know that I'm 10% stronger in just over a month. It really puts it in perspective.

Today marks the 28th day I've been sober. I might drink on Saturday for the UFC fight, but I haven't decided yet. I'm leaning towards not.

Drastiic
05-25-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm proud of myself. After owning my FitBit for 7 whole weeks, I finally hit 10,000+ steps in a day. Today I'm at 13,700 steps, 16 floors, 7.36 miles walked, and my active score is 1118. That is a far cry from what it used to be. In that time, I've slowly incorporated change into my life. At first I didn't want to do any cardio. Then I said I would do minimal cardio. Then I started enjoying how much better I feel after I work out, and so I started walking a few days a week. Then I made a challenge to walk at a certain place everyday for 30 days. I just finished Day 8 of that and am 8 for 8. This morning I was up at my normal time and decided that I would go for a walk at a park near my house. I was going to go for 20-30 min, but I ended up walking for an hour. By the time I was done there, I had already accumulated more steps than I had all of yesterday and I still had to go complete my challenge. This afternoon I walked for another hour, and now here I am. I feel so good about accomplishing the 10,000 steps that now I want to do that as many days I can.

I'm contemplating starting the Couch25K program (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml) next week. I feel like I'm ready to take the next step. I bought some running shorts today.

Drastiic
05-26-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm a big numbers guy, so I have several spreadsheets I use to keep track of all the wonderful data. It's interesting to look at once you have several weeks worth of it. Everyday that passes, I get more and more data :) That, in and of itself, keeps me on track mentally, because I don't want to do something diet-wise or exercise-wise that will flaw that data. For example, since I quit drinking (30 days now) I don't have inflated numbers for calories. It's much easier to see consistent numbers and compare it to prior weeks without having to first decipher if I was drinking that night. Before I would have to guess and make a presumption as to why certain things weren't working, now I don't have to guess. I had the opportunity to go out tonight and watch the UFC fight at a friend's house, but I chose not to and a partial reason was because I didn't want to be put in situation where I would be tempted to drink and flaw the numbers. I was really tired too, but that was just a bonus for skipping out. Sad but true.

Today was week 5 light day, and I completed all the reps. I'm done with the 5 week workout plan. I still am unsure if I want to take a week off or dive into another cycle. My exercise these days has increased and due to my challenge, I haven't had a rest day all week and won't get one for another 21 days. I had my calves massaged tonight so I'm hoping they'll be not as tight in the morning. I've started doing two-a-days with my walking. 30-60 min in the morning and 30-60 min in the afternoon. Monday, I'm starting Couch25K which will have me pounding my feet a bit more than I'm used to. I'm excited though.

Drastiic
05-27-2012, 07:27 PM
On Friday, I started a 30 day challenge against myself. The challenge is to go to Shelby Farms (http://www.shelbyfarmspark.org/TrailsHomePage.aspx?pid=11&spid=71) and walk around Patriot Lake (1.6 miles) at least once every day for the next 30 days. Rain or shine. The end goal behind this challenge is to create a new healthy habit of getting out and exercising everyday regardless of how I feel. Another side-goal is for me to build up more endurance so that I'm able to increase the 1 loop to 2 loops. This endurance will help prepare me for when I start running. If I can't walk 4 miles, then I surely can't run 4 miles.

I'm modifying my challenge, because I've already achieved one of the side goals. For the record, I was 10 for 10. Now the challenge is going to be doing the Couch25K program 3x per week as outlined, as well as some other guidelines that I haven't thought up yet. I want to include a certain amount of exercise daily, but I'd like to incorporate some rest days. I haven't quite figured out the minimum challenges, so in the next few days I'll think of something. I'm starting summer school on Tuesday, so I'll have to modify my current schedule somewhat.

This past week I walked 7 hours for 21.5 miles. One week before was just under 3 hours and 7.5 miles. Two weeks before was so minimal that I didn't even record.

Drastiic
05-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Couch25K Week 1 Day 1 - Completed

930AM, Temperature 87F, Humidity 56%
31min, avg HR 146, max HR 171

It was challenging. My father is doing it with me too so we motivated each other. He's 38 years older than me. If he can do it, I can do it. My daily activity is rubbing off on my mother and father. Currently, I'm living with them while I go back to school. For five years prior, I was in retail construction and was away from home 300+ days per year, so I never had to buy a house. It's nice to be in one place finally. Anyways, I feel like my relationship with my parents is getting stronger and we're getting fitter at the same time. My dad has always wanted to be able to run for at least a mile and now we're "training" together. It is much easier to do this when you aren't by yourself. I've tried inviting some close friends, but they aren't interested in running. I'm not going out to bars and restaurants anymore, but I'm still getting my friends involved by inviting them for walks or playing tennis. I'm up for any type of sport whether or not I like it or not, just to get them involved. I don't look down on my friends for not being active, and I don't suggest that they need to be. That's not my place. I can only do what I'm doing for myself.

Drastiic
05-29-2012, 09:13 PM
On Monday after C25K, I went to a military cemetery with my parents to pay respect to the fallen veterans. There were a ton of people there. We found a family friend's gravestone. He had served in Vietnam and passed away in '97 at the age of 50. This was the first time I had been to a military cemetery on Memorial Day, but I'll definitely continue to do so.

Tuesday's schedule was off today, since I started summer school. I usually eat breakfast around noon, but now I have to eat around 10-1030AM. It's going to take a few days to get used to. Today, I found out how hot is at 130PM and cancelled my afternoon walk at the big park. I went for a walk this morning and my shins were bothering me a little bit due to the jogging from Monday. More pain tomorrow morning for Week 1 Day 2 of C25K. I might get a surprise tomorrow when I weigh-in. I'm close to breaking out of the 170's.

Drastiic
05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Couch25K Week 1 Day 2 - Completed

After the 2nd jog, my shins were killing me. Over the last 6, I concentrated on form by landing on the ball of my feet. If I landed too far forward on the toes, it gave me shin splints, if I landed too far back I'd be stomping the ground. It's going to take a lot more practice to consistently land properly and to do it without thinking about it. I'm going to have to watch some videos on technique and form to make sure I'm doing it right.

I hit 10,000+ steps again today. Did an afternoon walk around the lake at the big park today. I haven't lifted this week, since I decided to take a week off. I may do a light day on Friday, just so I don't get DOMs next week. 13 for 13 on my daily exercise challenge.

Drastiic
06-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Couch25K Week 1 Day 3 - Alternating 60 sec jog, 90 sec walk - COMPLETED
Couch25K Week 2 Day 1,2,3 - Alternating 90 sec jog, 2 min walk - COMPLETED

Just finished up W2D3 this morning. Today's weigh-in was 168.4 down 1.2 from last week. After W2D2, I had to take a break from walking everyday. My knees were killing me, my calves had knots in them, my shins were bothering me. W2D2 was painful as hell, but I completed it anyways. W2D3 was much better. I felt fresher than usual. The shin didn't start bothering me until after the 2nd run. It's odd, only my right shin and my left knee bother me. Every single time it's like that, and I don't know why. Hopefully with the increased stamina, it'll loosen up as I progress. Today I mainly focused on breathing and keeping my pace slow enough to not strain my breathing. It worked, and the runs weren't so taxing. It didn't feel like such a chore.

I lifted last Friday and that was it. This week I haven't lifted at all. I'll probably do a session tomorrow. Trying to balance my new schedule of running, the walking in the morning and afternoons, plus summer school and studying has been a little difficult for me. I'm more in the groove after this past week, so I should be able to incorporate my lifting in next week.

Nutrition-wise, I've got everything down. That's the easy part for me. I've been logging on MyFitnessPal.com for the past 67 days.

Drastiic
06-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Couch25K Week 3 Day 1 - Two repetitions of 90 sec jog, 90 sec walk, 3 min jog, 3 min walk - COMPLETED

Today, I decided to jog on some soccer fields near my house. The grass made a huge difference. I've been experiencing some knee pain, so I looked it up on the internet. All the symptoms I'm experiencing = Patellofemoral pain, which is a type of Runner's knee. I looked up some stretches to do online, so I'm going to start doing them daily. I'm also probably going to buy a foam roller.

I didn't lift on Saturday and didn't today either. There's still hope for me to do it this week as long as find the motivation to get off my ass and do it. Tomorrow sounds like a good day to start back up. We'll see how that goes. I took several days off from walking to let my legs rest last week, but I'm going to start back in the morning. I miss my morning walks and am ready to get going again.

Drastiic
06-21-2012, 06:00 AM
Couch25K Week 3 Day 1,2,3 - Two repetitions of 90 sec jog, 90 sec walk, 3 min jog, 3 min walk - COMPLETED
Couch25K Week 4 Day 1,2 - 3 min jog, 90 sec walk, 5 min jog, 2 min 30 sec walk, 3 min jog, 90 sec walk, 5 min jog - COMPLETED

Have one more day of Week 4 tomorrow morning. Since my last post, a lot has changed.

W3D2 I had a lot of pain in my knees again. Usually I would walk for an additional 30 minutes after the cool down period, but I was just in so much pain that I immediately went back home. This time the pain was coming from under my knee cap. I have pretty good form and land mid-foot/fore-foot. I don't heel strike. My stride length is short. My posture is good. I've never had knee issues in my life. I had been doing a lot of research on minimalist/barefoot running and seen other people post about their knee pain disappearing, so I decided to take the plunge on some Vibram Five Finger KSO shoes. I figured I didn't have much to lose, except $85.

Everywhere you read, they say to take the transition really slow. With that in mind, I still decided to run Week 3 Day 3 in them. I wouldn't really call it running, because I'm only going about 4 mph, so it's like a really slow jog. I still try to keep my cadence close to 180bpm, but it's kinda hard at that low speed. Guess what happened. No knee pain during or after. It was like they were miracle shoes. Maintaining form was incredibly easy. Instead of thinking of how to place my foot, it just happened naturally. I was finally able to relax my legs like wet noodles, and this improved my running immensely.

Week 4 bumped up the time duration to 5 min and there were less walk breaks. It was the first time in the program where I'd be running more than walking. 16 min run, 8 min walk. Day 1 and 2 have been pain free before, during, and after. I'm just appalled at the difference.

Drastiic
06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Couch25K Week 5 Day 1 - 5 min jog, 3 min walk, 5 min jog, 3 min walk, 5 min jog - COMPLETED
Couch25K Week 5 Day 2 - 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog - COMPLETED

Today was W5D2. It was no joke. Added an extra min onto the last run. Friday's run looks extremely daunting. Been slacking on the lifting and exercising the past week. Food has been good but could be better. For the first time in the past 38 days, my weight has gone up 2 days in a row compared to last week's weigh-ins. I weigh daily, so every day is a weekly weigh-in. That means I need to start tightening up and get back in the swing of things. Today I weighed in at 166.4 (3 days in a row), which is a 1 lb gain from last Friday's competition weigh-in. That number needs to go down more by Friday, and the only thing standing in the way is myself. The upside is that I've lost 12 lbs to date.

Been really busy with summer school. I'm taking 1 class online that is for the whole 8 week long session. And also 1 class in this first short session of 4 weeks. One week is the equivalent of 3 weeks of a regular semester. In other words, it's a ton of information being thrown at you. 3 exams this week.

Up next:
Couch25K Week 5 Day 3 - 20 min jog with no walking

GMLFTMBCIFASLHO
06-28-2012, 06:18 AM
Hey, congrats on the continued progress. I've also started weighing myself more often (I use to only weight myself once per week). But I've noticed a lot of fluctuations. And a lot is dependent on foods I eat, and hydration states. So I've made a point to continue drinking the same amount of water per day - a gallon. And I only weigh myself in the mornings, on days where I evacuate my bowels completely, in the mornings. I try to do this once per week, but I can't control nature - so if my weigh in day is on Sunday, and my bowels completely evacuate on Friday or Saturday - then I use those readings for Sunday. I always weigh myself in the mornings.

Also, I'm going to look into this Couch25k program. It looks interesting, and I think its something I could incorporate with my weight training program.

Good luck bro, its good to see that you're progressing well.

I may have missed it somewhere, but do you have a Goal Weight in mind? Or instead a Goal bf%?

Drastiic
07-09-2012, 06:25 AM
I completed Couch25K W5D3, W6D1, and W6D2. W6 was done on asphalt instead of grass.

On Saturday, I started training with a local running group as part of a Couch-to-4 miler program. It's very similar to what I've been doing for the past six weeks. I'm still wearing my Vibram KSO's. Luckily, there's one other guy out of the hundred people that runs in a pair of red Sprints. I'm not alone! The group leader/coach has a pair of Sprint's as well, but she doesn't run in them. This morning I woke up at 430am and made it there at 6am. Instead of the sessions being 20 min long like in C25K, they're closer to 40 min. I have to be careful not to push too hard and do TMTS. Running in "barefoot"/minimalist shoes requires a slower approach than someone wearing regular shoes.

Drastiic
07-18-2012, 10:43 AM
On July 7th's run at the end, I felt a pain in my foot at the end of the run. I stopped running on the 11th as it was getting worse and didn't seem to heal. I'm still having issues with it. It's hard to pinpoint exactly where it is because it only happens to my right foot when I'm on my tip-toes. It is more pronounced while walking. I have less issues with it while running, because I don't push-off, but rather lift my foot at that point in my gait. I've tried the whole RICE, but it isn't working. It's not incredibly painful, but it is a very noticeable. It feels like a muscle strain but only happens at that one point in the gait. I've rested it for a whole week and it hasn't gotten worse, but it hasn't gotten better. I went out for a trail walk yesterday and at the end I did an 8 minute slow run. I felt fine. It seems that after I warm up after 20-30 min, the issue subsides while doing the activity, but it returns when I stop.

phoenixr2
07-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Couch25K Week 3 Day 1,2,3 - Two repetitions of 90 sec jog, 90 sec walk, 3 min jog, 3 min walk - COMPLETED
Couch25K Week 4 Day 1,2 - 3 min jog, 90 sec walk, 5 min jog, 2 min 30 sec walk, 3 min jog, 90 sec walk, 5 min jog - COMPLETED

Have one more day of Week 4 tomorrow morning. Since my last post, a lot has changed.

W3D2 I had a lot of pain in my knees again. Usually I would walk for an additional 30 minutes after the cool down period, but I was just in so much pain that I immediately went back home. This time the pain was coming from under my knee cap. I have pretty good form and land mid-foot/fore-foot. I don't heel strike. My stride length is short. My posture is good. I've never had knee issues in my life. I had been doing a lot of research on minimalist/barefoot running and seen other people post about their knee pain disappearing, so I decided to take the plunge on some Vibram Five Finger KSO shoes. I figured I didn't have much to lose, except $85.

Everywhere you read, they say to take the transition really slow. With that in mind, I still decided to run Week 3 Day 3 in them. I wouldn't really call it running, because I'm only going about 4 mph, so it's like a really slow jog. I still try to keep my cadence close to 180bpm, but it's kinda hard at that low speed. Guess what happened. No knee pain during or after. It was like they were miracle shoes. Maintaining form was incredibly easy. Instead of thinking of how to place my foot, it just happened naturally. I was finally able to relax my legs like wet noodles, and this improved my running immensely.

Week 4 bumped up the time duration to 5 min and there were less walk breaks. It was the first time in the program where I'd be running more than walking. 16 min run, 8 min walk. Day 1 and 2 have been pain free before, during, and after. I'm just appalled at the difference.I read this, and then read your post from today.
When they say transition slow, that is VERY good advice that I wish more people took serious. Just because it feels ok does not mean its good for you. Going from having a shock absorber on your foot to having your body absorb the shocks is a HUGE difference on your body and a slow transition is best for safety. More people than I can count have gotten ankle/foot injuries from switching over completely with no break in. I am one of those guilty people. I got to deal witha stress fracture for about 4 months last year as a reward, and wearing a boot is NOT FUN. Best of luck and please take it easy, from todays post it sounds like you may have a stress fracture as well, if not then some type of overuse injury. Best of luck!