PDA

View Full Version : Bar screw loose???

Sfatalis
02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
On my 45-lb bar, one of the thickened metal cylinders at the ends (which hold the plates) is loose somehow. I feel I should post a picture, I'll get it in tomorrow though it's kind of late. It's Club Weider 560.

In the meantime, anybody experience a similar situation?

esrevenge
02-25-2012, 01:14 PM
On my 45-lb bar, one of the thickened metal cylinders at the ends (which hold the plates) is loose somehow. I feel I should post a picture, I'll get it in tomorrow though it's kind of late. It's Club Weider 560.

If its the hex-bolt at the end just try to tighten it.
The thing to tighten it looks like a L shape key, but you need a large size and quality ones are difficult to find.

Thats why people like bars with snap-ring, they will not loosen such as your end screws.

sherman
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
On my particular olympic bar, the head end of a 5/16" hex head cap screw fits into the hex socket of the holding bolt. I stick the head into the socket and grip the threads with a vice grip to loosen or tighten the bolt.

ironwill2008
02-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Most Chinese bars use Allen head cap screws to hold the sleeves on the bar. If one of them is loose, unscrew it with your fingers or a flat blade screwdriver and take the bolt to the nearet auto parts store and buy an Allen wrench to fit it. A single wrench shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars.

Clean the threads in the threaded hole in the end of the bar and clean the threads on the bolt. Tighten it snugly with the wrench, and while you're at it, check the bolt on the other end of the bar for tightness as well.

ProtienandIron
02-26-2012, 01:37 AM
^^As above.

Somestimes it can be a bit hard to find the right sized allen key, so if you are struggling to find one just get a small set of pliers, put them inside the bolt, open them up, and turn (lefty loosy, righty tighty!).

I've even successfuly used a very large flat head screwdriver on one before if that helps.