PDA

View Full Version : Question for flooring and crossfitting/oly lifting

nsr250nyc
02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
question regarding the flooring. I'm building a crossfit type of garage gym. its concrete floors. im planning on using ply wood under the rubber matting. my question would be is one layer of plywood enough or it has to be 2 layers like the olympic platforms? would it crack the concrete flooring with only one layer when weights are dropped? especially overhead.

also, would a 2x12 raft/joist (12" being vertical) hold the weight if i put eye bolts through the middle of the beam at 6" top and bottom for the gym rings? or should i just get a 2x6 and lay across serveral of the 2x12 with wood screw and eye bolt through the 2x6 at 3" side to side.

and lastly atlantis utility bench or ironmaster superbench? I have the im superbench but have a chance at a nice atlantis adj bench. cant decide if it's worth switching. what would you do?

thanks in advance.

yabbadabbadoher
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I would screw down 2"x4" underneath the plywood sheets, every 12". It would still be stiff so the floor doesn't flex under your feet and soft enough so it does flex when the weights are dropped. Don't take my word for, but thats just what I would do.

twodog
02-24-2012, 12:58 PM
For my oly platform I went with (2) 3/4' sheets of ply and stallmats on top. Crossfitters are tough on platforms and if you can afford it, I would go with (3) sheets and stallmats. I see no need for 2x4 stringers. The 2x12 rafter will hold your weight on rings, but I would only do it directly into the joist if the attachments is near the wall that supports it. If you are setting up the rings in the middle of the garage, you will probably want to go with a 2x6 run across a couple of the joists just to keep your self from getting much deflection/ flex on the rings attachment points.

Good luck.

KBKB
02-24-2012, 01:08 PM
also, would a 2x12 raft/joist (12" being vertical) hold the weight if i put eye bolts through the middle of the beam at 6" top and bottom for the gym rings? or should i just get a 2x6 and lay across serveral of the 2x12 with wood screw and eye bolt through the 2x6 at 3" side to side.

An eye bolt that's screwed 3" to 4" into the bottom of those wood joists should be sufficient. Make sure you drill a suitably sized pilot hole first.

Northernmoris
02-24-2012, 03:10 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/northernm/PlatformwithSupportforuprights.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/northernm/IMG_20120218_140131.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h320/northernm/IMG_20120219_004142.jpg

I'm 205lbs. They hold great.

nsr250nyc
02-24-2012, 11:41 PM
thanks for replies guys. northernmoris, that platform looks sick. how long are those eye bolts?

I have 1" ultra tiles that are 2x2s. is it a good idea to switch them out to stall mats? i know the ultra tiles are used in commercial gyms. but everyone seems to be using the 4x6 stall mats. my old gym had the ultra tiles in the free weight area and stall mats under the machines.

esrevenge
02-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Im not a big fan of screwing eye-hooks or anything directly into your joists in that manner, look like that might fall out one time.

Re the platform lots of guys use qty=2 layers plywood and qty=1 layer stall mat, thats like the standard. You can use one layer plywood but might as well do it right with 2.

Northernmoris
02-25-2012, 01:27 PM
thanks for replies guys. northernmoris, that platform looks sick. how long are those eye bolts?

I have 1" ultra tiles that are 2x2s. is it a good idea to switch them out to stall mats? i know the ultra tiles are used in commercial gyms. but everyone seems to be using the 4x6 stall mats. my old gym had the ultra tiles in the free weight area and stall mats under the machines.

From shoulder to end of threads is 2".. the ring is 3"..(not the eye)..

Wildtim
02-25-2012, 09:03 PM
If you are going to drop weights from overhead I would think you would want bumper plates. they will not only save the floor but also save the bar.

nsr250nyc
02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
yes i do have bumper plates. think i'm going with the 2x6 up top just to be sure. thanks guys

twodog
02-29-2012, 10:47 AM
yes i do have bumper plates. think i'm going with the 2x6 up top just to be sure. thanks guys Good move, better to be safe than sorry. Good luck !

marvel1
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but I had a question regarding flooring so I thought I'd ask in this thread. Is a lifting platform necessary for olympic lifts? I have 5/8" rubber mats in the garage already. I don't care about the concrete underneath, but I don't want my recently-purchased bumper plates to get damaged. Would the 5/8" be sufficient to not damage them?

twodog
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but I had a question regarding flooring so I thought I'd ask in this thread. Is a lifting platform necessary for olympic lifts? I have 5/8" rubber mats in the garage already. I don't care about the concrete underneath, but I don't want my recently-purchased bumper plates to get damaged. Would the 5/8" be sufficient to not damage them?

Probably. The 3/4" stall mats and bumper plates are more than enough, so its depending on the quality of the 5/8' flooring. But as long as the flooring stays intact I'm sure the bumpers will be ok. Not so sure about the floor under the mats.

Good luck.