PDA

View Full Version : Looking for beginner set..

Deviyl
02-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Right now I have no weights, no rack, no bars or benches.. nada.

I'd like to start up again, but I never have the discipline to make myself go to the gym and figure buying my own stuff will make it easier and more convenient. I just have no idea what to get. And for the right price. I've looked through a few posts here about sets, but I didn't really want to spend a few hundred bucks on a rack, then a few hundred more on weights and a bar and then a bench. If it's not possible to go cheaper than that, I guess I'll have to save a bit before starting.

I'm a pretty small guy and don't think I'd ever be able to get up to lifting massive amounts, so I don't think I need anything too complicated, but at the same time I'd still like to be able to do as many different things as possible. My goal is to gain mass and tone up a bit. If it works, then I may consider adding more to the set, but for now I just would like something basic that does the most stuff.

Are things like the bowflex good investments? I'm not a huge fan of the flashy as seen on tv stuff, but I know the bowflex has been around for as long as I can remember.. so I would assume it's legit. Expensive though.

Any suggestions?

esrevenge
02-24-2012, 12:29 AM
You say you are a small guy but 6-3 and 180, you can go up to 200lbs body weight no problem, at the very least.

Best bet is to forget bowflex and look used on Craigslist for a rack, flat bench, and Olympic weights/bar. It just costs what it costs bro you need equipment to do weight lifting.

Deviyl
02-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

That's another thing too.. I have no idea what kind of prices I should be expecting for this stuff. Even if I look on CL or ebay I wouldn't know if it's a good price or not. Lol.

I think like the powertec racks the best so far. I don't know if I would need a full rack though or if half will do.

What is the part on the back of this one called? Where it says powertec. Apparently I'm not allowed to post links, so I edited it.
hxxp://xxx.ebay.com/itm/Powertec-Workbench-Half-Rack-/230745604038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b9827fc6#ht_2082wt_1185

If I do get a full rack, I'd like that part build in as well.

How much should I look to spend on a set of weights to go with the rack? The rack and weights should be the two most expensive parts, right? Then I'll still need a bar and a bench..

justenblake
02-24-2012, 12:42 AM
I found my rack on craigslist - if you want to grab some cheap olympic weights check out this post on slickdeals cheap Olympic 300 pound weight set + cheaper 7' Olympic bar for 126 but ends on the 25 cuz of sales and coupons.
Cheaper than some crap I have seen going on craigslist - of course patience can score you a whole heck of a lot more but good place to start especially if you find a rack on craigslist with no weight included

slickdeals.net/f/3972042-Sports-Authority-300lb-Olympic-Weightset-125-99-after-25-20-off-coupon-B-M

donforeman
02-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Right now I have no weights, no rack, no bars or benches.. nada.
I just have no idea what to get. And for the right price. I've looked through a few posts here about sets, but I didn't really want to spend a few hundred bucks on a rack, then a few hundred more on weights and a bar and then a bench. If it's not possible to go cheaper than that, I guess I'll have to save a bit before starting.

Are things like the bowflex good investments? I'm not a huge fan of the flashy as seen on tv stuff, but I know the bowflex has been around for as long as I can remember.. so I would assume it's legit. Expensive though.

Any suggestions?

Read this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113098691
Read This http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search.php?searchid=94824491
Go here ---> http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites or here --> http://www.ebay.com/ to do your buying. Seriously I live in a pretty small area Craigslist wise and the problem has not been budget or lack of quality equipment its been space to put all the nice stuff that turns up.

Deviyl
02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
The image on the bowflex post has been removed or deleted. And I assume since there isn't much surrounding text, that the image was the part that actually conveyed the message. And the second post you linked to does not exist.

I will keep an eye out on craigslist for some nice things though. Thanks.

otiskii
02-24-2012, 08:48 AM
While I'm all for home gyms you might want to join a gym for 3 months and make sure you actually have the discipline to workout. Having it sitting in your your house and looking at you every day and not using it only last a couple of weeks. Then it just sits there and you both ignore each other.

donforeman
02-24-2012, 08:50 AM
The image on the bowflex post has been removed or deleted. And I assume since there isn't much surrounding text, that the image was the part that actually conveyed the message. And the second post you linked to does not exist.

I will keep an eye out on craigslist for some nice things though. Thanks.
So just so I am clear with your point - your saying when I link you to the 10 page sticky of why not to buy a bowflex, which happens to be just a few threads about your new thread about maybe wanting to buy a bowflex ... you go to the first post in ten pages and disregard the whole thread because a picture is missing? If that's what your saying so then by all means buy the bowflex! The second link was a simple search of the threads that list why bowflex sucks....you can perform this same action my finding the search button in the upper right hand screen. Warning though there might be a few deleted pictures and all so I wouldn't want that to get in the way of your new bowflex purchase. :)

Cleveland33
02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
So just so I am clear with your point - your saying when I link you to the 10 page sticky of why not to buy a bowflex, which happens to be just a few threads about your new thread about wanting to buy a bowflex ... you go to the first post in ten pages and disregard the whole thread because a picture is missing? If that's what your saying so then by all means buy the bowflex! The second link was a simple search of the threads that list why bowflex sucks....you can perform this same action my finding the search button i the upper right hand screen. Warning though there might be a few deleted pictures and all so I wouldn't want that to get in the way of your new bowflex purchase. :)

He's touched on almost every stickie - bowflex, half vs full rack, craigslist ... I think he's trolling

Deviyl
02-24-2012, 11:20 AM
otiskii - I've been a member of a gym and would go pretty regularly, but it's just a hassle finding time to drive there and back for a workout. Something in my home would provide more convenience so I could get a quick workout in any time I'd like.

donforeman & cleveland33 - Lol. No, I didn't say I completely disregarded the entire thread because the picture was missing. It just seemed like the image was the catalyst for the 10 pages of posts that followed and would probably have provided some quick and integral information so that I wouldn't have had to look through the 10 pages. =) I didn't say that I was arguing with the post, just informing you that whatever you were pointing to seems to be missing. I didn't say I was going to run and get one because the picture was missing, and I wasn't exactly asking about the bowflex in particular. I just wanted to get a general outlook on things of that nature.

Honestly, I did a few quick searches before posting. I rarely look at stickies on any forum because most of the time they're silly stuff like rules and whatnot that is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, so I purposefully skipped over them at the time. I see now that they have some useful information and have been looking through them since.

But anyway. Thanks for all of your help. It seems like the best bang for my buck is going to be the powertec rack. Most likely the full rack so I'll have the option for extra stuff. I'm not really in a rush though, so I'll keep checking on CL, though they don't seem to have many at this time. Just so I have an idea though.. the one I linked to is 479. How much lower of a price should I be searching for? The ones I see on ebay are even more than this one sells for. Lol.

bestbuyfitness.com/product.asp?intProdID=3083&Optionid=8989

jvfranklin
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Unless you get lucky, you probably won't find the powertec for a better price than what bestbuyfitness can give you. I've got the full rack and lat tower, and think it was a great investment. Wish I'd bought it a long time ago, now that I have it.