PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Breast implants and the body fat machine question

TheresaD.
02-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't know where to post this so sorry if its inappropriate. My question is, how accurate are the body fat machine things the trainers make you hold at the gym and does silicone implants effect their accuracy and does swelling from weight training effect them? Thanks anybody :)

xephonics
02-23-2012, 04:31 PM
To the best of my knowledge you are not going to put a BF caliper on your breast directly (the 3 point test does not even come close to the breast, the other method seems to come closer to the armpit than the breast), so I cannot see it affecting the result.

And the skin and fat layer are above the muscle, so pulling up the skin and pinching it with the calipers will not be affected by muscle mass. In a more general sense gaining muscle will change your BF composition, but not in a way that would make your calipers inaccurate.

dumb.bell
02-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I don't think shes is talking about calipers but one of those electrical impedance machines.

I think I recall reading that the implants (assuming silicone and not saline) would be counted as fat since it doesn't conduct electricity but rather impedes it like fat does. Muscle and water both conduct electricity. This is from memory and I don't know how accurate the source was. Hopefully, one of the members that is more versed in electrical engineering will chime in.

On another note, most of those machines are highly inaccurate. I bought one once and got readings that were all over the place in the same day (I found it useless and returned it). I wouldn't put much credence in them.

My understanding is that if you drink a lot of water you can throw them off.

donforeman
02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
On another note, most of those machines are highly inaccurate. I bought one once and got reading that were all over the place in the same day (I found it useless and returned it). I wouldn't put much credence in them.

This! I had one test done as a "promo" on a very high dollar machine for joining a gym. You held things in your hand and stood on other things... it said 7% BF! Yea yea the problem was my abs were barely showing so try at least double that reading in reality. I find the simple skin fold calipers to be much more accurate as an indication of if your loosing or gaining fat.

xephonics
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't think shes is talking about calipers but one of those electrical impedance machines.

Well fudge, it would seem I imagined the word caliper lol.

esrevenge
02-23-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't know where to post this so sorry if its inappropriate. My question is, how accurate are the body fat machine things the trainers make you hold at the gym and does silicone implants effect their accuracy and does swelling from weight training effect them? Thanks anybody :)

Please submit picture for evaluation. Then I can take a look and let you know.

Skidmarx
02-24-2012, 03:22 AM
Please submit picture for evaluation. Then I can take a look and let you know.

I second this

boxertim
02-24-2012, 06:39 AM
electrical machine says i'm 28% bodyfat. I am not that fat.

Kodokan
02-24-2012, 06:55 AM
those electrical devices are really only useful for trending, and only if you can do it at the same time every day like first thing in the morning, before shower/eating/drinking.

having a glass of water or two can wildly skew the results...so it might be all over the place by the time you're doing this in the gym. also if you're sweating, wet...you'll get different results.

you also get very different results depending on the angle you hold the thing from your body. how hard you squeeze it, if your arms are stright, there's a bunch of fudge factors.

it also won't be an accurate measurement compared with say a body fat caliper...so in short don't put too much stock in what the trainer tells you about body fat in the gym with one of those things.

keyboardworkout
02-24-2012, 07:02 AM
It wouldn't be uncommon to be 10% BF with a bioelectric impedance device, 15% with calipers and 20% by dual energy x-ray.

TheresaD.
03-10-2012, 03:01 PM

I think I recall reading that the implants (assuming silicone and not saline) would be counted as fat since it doesn't conduct electricity but rather impedes it like fat does. Muscle and water both conduct electricity. This is from memory and I don't know how accurate the source was. Hopefully, one of the members that is more versed in electrical engineering will chime in.

On another note, most of those machines are highly inaccurate. I bought one once and got readings that were all over the place in the same day (I found it useless and returned it). I wouldn't put much credence in them.

My understanding is that if you drink a lot of water you can throw them off.

Thanks for the info, yes 2 pounds of silicone is what I have Lol and I am definitely not trusting the machine again. That makes sense that it may count it as fat. Uggg I'm just going to go by my mirror and not obsess about numbers anymore. It just stresses me out.

TheresaD.
03-10-2012, 03:04 PM
those electrical devices are really only useful for trending, and only if you can do it at the same time every day like first thing in the morning, before shower/eating/drinking.

having a glass of water or two can wildly skew the results...so it might be all over the place by the time you're doing this in the gym. also if you're sweating, wet...you'll get different results.

you also get very different results depending on the angle you hold the thing from your body. how hard you squeeze it, if your arms are stright, there's a bunch of fudge factors.

it also won't be an accurate measurement compared with say a body fat caliper...so in short don't put too much stock in what the trainer tells you about body fat in the gym with one of those things.

Thank you, I'm not going to be using it anymore. My jeans are a good fat percentage calculator anyway Lol

rthawker
03-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I realize you said you weren't going to use one anymore but I thought I would throw my two cents in anyways. The silicone in your implants are incapsulated in a "plastic" type bag that will an insulator to the electrical impedance of the BF calculator. That being the case, your implants should make no difference in the readings from the machine. As already stated these machines aren't the most accurate your better off relying on a mirror or as you said your jeans.

Roxy85
04-20-2013, 04:27 PM
It does.when I did my first"test" I didn't have the implants and the body fat was 14%.....after few months I did it again(but I had my "things done") it was 19.3%....and I didn't gain weight at all

rthawker
04-20-2013, 08:05 PM
It does.when I did my first"test" I didn't have the implants and the body fat was 14%.....after few months I did it again(but I had my "things done") it was 19.3%....and I didn't gain weight at all

Those type of body fat scales are highly inaccurate. If you "test" your bodyfat then drink a few glasses of water it is going to effect the reading. You could very well have been just better hydrated on your second reading.

HealthNutMD
04-21-2013, 03:15 AM
Thumbs way down on breast implants.

KalleA
04-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Thumbs way down on breast implants.

I'm sure that's a good technique, and who am I to argue with a doctor, but I don't think it matters that much how you grab them.

Don't like implants anyway.

Cheers

dougefresh93
04-21-2013, 06:48 AM
I know I'm the minority here but well done implants are better than nothing.

so 2 thumb up

ProtienandIron
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm more of a butt man. I can take or leave boobies.

KeithTheSnake
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
...My jeans are a good fat percentage calculator anyway Lol

Pics or it didn't happen. I am a child.

DamonB82
04-21-2013, 12:55 PM

I'm with P&I on that, rather have my face sat on then motorboat.

Keetman
04-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I know I'm the minority here but well done implants are better than nothing.

so 2 thumb up

I'm pretty much with you...... although, my attitude is more of a "....once you've seen one pair of boobs, you pretty much want to see them all..."

I mean honestly, even given the chance to look at the most disgusting boobs available, I'm probably gonna at least take a peak. Just sayin' ;)

I'm with P&I on that, rather have my face sat on then motorboat.

Again...... butts, boobs, real boobs or fake....... naked women are just the coolest.

Pics or it didn't happen. I am a child.

Me too....which probably describes my other thoughts in this post. I'm pretty much a 12yo running around in a 41yo body.

My wife is usually embarrassed, but she knew me when I was 16.....so yea, that's her fault. ;)