PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On Mint Parabody Power Rack

DougHolland
02-21-2012, 07:26 AM
I was patiently looking for a new power rack on CL for many months while using a rack that was getting very iffy and dangerous.

Then one morning I was clicking through CL links, like I always do and I seen three faint pictures of a rack called Parabody. The man claimed the rack was solid and in good condition and it could handle a lot of weight.

Well, not knowing the brand name I came here to do a little research. The consensus was the brand could be trusted but parts where hard to come by. And yet no one seemed to need parts because of how well constructed they were.

So, of I go to look.

Man, was I surprised when I got to see it up close. This cage is built like a tank. And it was in Mint Condition. Not a single scratch, no dust at all...lol

It also came with the lat pull down and body row attachment, as well as the dip bars on the side safety bar.

I don't think that the rack was ever used by anyone. It was if it just came out of a shipping box from manufacturer.

I was able to take it apart in three sections to get it home. Simple right? I can't tell you how excited I was! I just handed him the $350.00 without even trying to talk him down. I mean...$350.00 for a practically new PR is fair right?

But here is a problem I noticed after getting it home.

Because of how excited I was a failed to notice that the front hooks on the safety bars do not go all the way up. Im' 6'4Ē.

I love doing standing presses. Its like one of my all time favorite exercises. And because I press 250 pounds I donít like having to clean it first before pressing it.

Don't ask me where my brain was...lol

So now I have a dilemma. What to do? Should I get a drill and make some holes and get some kind of hooks for the front? Would you do that to a mint rack?

Is there another way that will not ruin its integrity? Mannnnnn...I sure wish it was not so nice now because I don't even want to scratch it. It's a tool for crying out loud! It should be scratched!

Well, any help would be appreciated.

D

Kodokan
02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Wow, awesome press man. It is a really good rack...I wouldn't worry about scratching/dinging it at all for your use, but I'd be one the fence about modifying it because of my lack of 'engineering' skills in this area.

If you have the space, you could probably pick up a pair of quality used squat stands and press from those. Until then, there's always the option of seated press perhaps...

DougHolland
02-21-2012, 07:49 AM
If you have the space, you could probably pick up a pair of quality used squat stands and press from those. Until then, there's always the option of seated press perhaps...

You know what...I do have the room. That is a great idea. Unless someone has a great retro-fit idea for the front of the Parabody, that may be my best option. Thanks.

D

Cleveland33
02-21-2012, 07:52 AM
I have the rack and it is an excellent rack (of course it is the only rack I've owned) and it does seem to be a very fair price you got it for.

That is my only complaint on the rack, that the holes on the front upright stop, even without the holes mine has bar holders welded to the inside of the front uprights.

I have been considering modifying my rack in a similar fashion. I was going to remove the bar holders from the front uprights. Then I would create a jig for my drill press and drill holes the rest of the way up the front uprights. Now, to really be able to move the safety bars all the way up, you would have to have the hooks resting above the safety bars with the push pins unseated. To me this is not a big deal, I do the same thing with the safeties by putting them all the way to the bottom of the rack when I do bent over rows (bar is not on the safeties, but over them).

DougHolland
02-21-2012, 08:00 AM
I have the rack and it is an excellent rack (of course it is the only rack I've owned) and it does seem to be a very fair price you got it for.

That is my only complaint on the rack, that the holes on the front upright stop, even without the holes mine has bar holders welded to the inside of the front uprights.

I have been considering modifying my rack in a similar fashion. I was going to remove the bar holders from the front uprights. Then I would create a jig for my drill press and drill holes the rest of the way up the front uprights. Now, to really be able to move the safety bars all the way up, you would have to have the hooks resting above the safety bars with the push pins unseated. To me this is not a big deal, I do the same thing with the safeties by putting them all the way to the bottom of the rack when I do bent over rows (bar is not on the safeties, but over them).

I was thinking the same thing. The challenge would be that the holes would have to be perfectly in line with the back of the rack. There is no play at all on those safety's. If the hole was off by as much as 1/8 inch the pins would not lock out right?

D

Cleveland33
02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The challenge would be that the holes would have to be perfectly in line with the back of the rack. There is no play at all on those safety's. If the hole was off by as much as 1/8 inch the pins would not lock out right?

D

I think you could get by with 1/8" but I wouldn't want to.

I wouldn't do it with a hand drill, you'd need a press or mag drill. Also it all comes down to spacing so a jig would keep it inline. If you don't have a press, call a machine shop, tell them the situation and get a quote.

kvizzel
02-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a manual or a list of all the parts that should be included?

I found one in my area for about $200 for the rack it self but it's taken apart. Just want to make sure everything is there before I purchase it.

DougHolland
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a manual or a list of all the parts that should be included?

I found one in my area for about $200 for the rack it self but it's taken apart. Just want to make sure everything is there before I purchase it.

It would be wise to put it together first and then take it apart before buying it. Its an hour of your time but then you would know if any bolts are missing or parts. Reason? You can't get them if there missing.

D

DrFeelgood127
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM

That's a great price for this particular rack if its in decent shape. Honestly if the major components are there, ie. uprights, crossbeams, bar catches, safeties and pullup bar, then even if a bolt or nut is missing, a quick trip to Home Depot solves that. Just count the bots and nuts he gives you and see how many holes need to be fastened. Not a big deal although I would certainly check before hand and expect a discount if things are missing.

Wildtim
02-21-2012, 04:29 PM

If you can get Doug to post a picture of his new rack you can see what all it should have with it. LOL

DougHolland
02-21-2012, 04:35 PM
This is not mine. But it is similar. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113482981&page=1

I will get some pictures up of mine on Friday.

Skidmarx
02-22-2012, 04:57 AM
I think you could get by with 1/8" but I wouldn't want to.

I wouldn't do it with a hand drill, you'd need a press or mag drill. Also it all comes down to spacing so a jig would keep it inline. If you don't have a press, call a machine shop, tell them the situation and get a quote.

Actually you could do it with a hole saw after drilling a small pilot hole, and still be pretty dead on. I drilled some 1" holes in tubing this way when I made my leg press and didn't have any problems. I used a little cutting fluid to keep the hole saw from burning up.

Cleveland33
02-22-2012, 05:28 AM

Send me a PM with your email, I have a PDF copy. As for missing parts, there are parts available. Now I never had to look for a j hook or spotter bar but if the rack is missing those it's not really a rack.

Actually you could do it with a hole saw after drilling a small pilot hole, and still be pretty dead on. I drilled some 1" holes in tubing this way when I made my leg press and didn't have any problems. I used a little cutting fluid to keep the hole saw from burning up.

Yea I wouldn't want to do it by hand though.