PDA

View Full Version : Building your own squat rack

overboardhumor
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I have everything in my home gym that I need olympic bench with more than enough weight and standard size dumbells adjustable. I need a squat rack though. As many people I'm broke. Anyone build there own rack with some Homedepot supplies.

I've been thinking about doing a project like this.

clockwork247
02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
I have everything in my home gym that I need olympic bench with more than enough weight and standard size dumbells adjustable. I need a squat rack though. As many people I'm broke. Anyone build there own rack with some Homedepot supplies.

I've been thinking about doing a project like this.

depends on the bench you have, you can just grab 2 safety bars (make/buy them), and squat by lifting it off the olympic bench.

krosalclist
02-09-2012, 02:21 AM
i recently made some wooden squat stands

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz151/kennethrosalclist/photo26.jpg

materials:
7 2x4s
2 40-60 lb bags of quick cement
5 gallon buckets
wood screws
cost: 20-30

they have plenty of tutorials to make them online. i made specifically for my height. i put hooks in front for bench press too. i used the eyebolts in front to connect straps to a big tire for more stability and peace of mind when racking. as for usability, these work just fine.. ive loaded over 300 lbs on them. but for safety, you should look into getting a freespotter or rigging up something similar or splurging on a power rack

Paul1114
02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
I made my first rack out of wood, and I wouldn't do it again. It was built like a tank but lacked flexibility and was just as expensive as a cheap used rack in the end. You can find a real squat rack cheap on craigslist if you keep watching and are willing to drive a little. Don't do it.

Cleveland33
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea.

overboardhumor
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. Going to check the craigslister ;)

I have a ton of wood so if I can come up with a decent design I might do it I will keep the thread updated!

tehnhoj
02-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I built my own rack out of 2x2 square tubing. I built mine because I had to account for low ceiling height in my basement. It's relatively simple if you have access to a welder. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have done it.

ironwill2008
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I built my own rack out of 2x2 square tubing. I built mine because I had to account for low ceiling height in my basement. It's relatively simple if you have access to a welder. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have done it.

I'd be curious to see what you came up with; how about posting a pic?

overboardhumor
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM

That's awesome. Ya if you got pics that would be great! I got a ton of wood so I'm trying to figure out if I can design something solid that will last or not. For now it's just a thought.

overboardhumor
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Just Googled wood squat racks lots of cool ideas would post pics but I can't yet! ergh

tehnhoj
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Yup I've got pictures of it. In this small part of my basement the clearance is only about 6'3". I'm 6' tall so it still works fine for me. With the rack I can easily do squats, f/i/d bench, seated overhead press, and heavy bb shrugs. Which is basically what I planned it for. On the uprights I have holes at heights for squats, f/i bench, and ohp. For shrugs and decline bench I rest the bar on the lower portion.

I don't think the picture shows it clearly enough, but the back section of it is seperate and can be unbolted, making it easily transportable with any suv/van.

http : //i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/john97es/Gym/IMG_0342.jpg

Since it isn't tall enough for pull ups/chin ups, I beefed up the speed bag side of my punching bag stand, and used a bar from an old lat pulldown machine.

http : //i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/john97es/Gym/IMG_0343.jpg

Please excuse the messyness of my gym, I'm working on organizing/more storage next.

tehnhoj
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
I just added spaces into the links, not sure if my photobucket settings will let others see it. I don't have enough posts yet.

KBKB
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Yup I've got pictures of it. In this small part of my basement the clearance is only about 6'3". I'm 6' tall so it still works fine for me. With the rack I can easily do squats, f/i/d bench, seated overhead press, and heavy bb shrugs. Which is basically what I planned it for. On the uprights I have holes at heights for squats, f/i bench, and ohp. For shrugs and decline bench I rest the bar on the lower portion.

I don't think the picture shows it clearly enough, but the back section of it is seperate and can be unbolted, making it easily transportable with any suv/van.

http://photobucket.com/albums/n197/john97es/Gym/IMG_0342.jpg

Since it isn't tall enough for pull ups/chin ups, I beefed up the speed bag side of my punching bag stand, and used a bar from an old lat pulldown machine.

http://photobucket.com/albums/n197/john97es/Gym/IMG_0343.jpg

Please excuse the messyness of my gym, I'm working on organizing/more storage next.

Nice job on the squat rack. Thanks for posting links to your photos! (I inlined them for you in the quote above.)

Edit: Upon revisiting this thread, I see that the images that I inlined no longer work. When I paste the URLs into a separate browser window or tab, however, it works fine. *shrug*

ironwill2008
02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

Good job; looks very functional. http://assets.bodybuilding.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

overboardhumor
02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Nice job on the squat rack. Thanks for posting links to your photos! (I inlined them for you in the quote above.)

Edit: Upon revisiting this thread, I see that the images that I inlined no longer work. When I paste the URLs into a separate browser window or tab, however, it works fine. *shrug*

Looks like we got the same problem with under 50 posts. I'm trying to see your link.

overboardhumor
02-09-2012, 05:43 PM

http : //i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/john97es/Gym/IMG_0342.jpg

http : //i112.photobucket.com/albums/n197/john97es/Gym/IMG_0343.jpg

Just figured out that spacing fephh Look really simple and sturdy.

I wish I had welding skills Maybe if the wood doesnt work out all get a welder hah

tehnhoj
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Yup, I gotta get to 50 posts. I added a space before and after the :

overboardhumor
02-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Yup, I gotta get to 50 posts. I added a space before and after the :

It's a pain haha 1 less to go ;)

SQUAT316
02-12-2012, 12:36 PM
You can probably get a cheap squat rack. Shop around. My New York Barbell squat was like $129 a few years ago. I have had 500lbs on it.

one.lifter
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Nothing wrong with using wood to build a power rack, they use wood to build houses ;-)

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

SamWatson87
02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a wooden power rack I built a little over a year ago that has held up nicely. As mentioned it's not too much cheaper to make than it is to just buy a used one on CL. I built mine because I have a low ceiling that cannot accommodate a full size power rack. A squat rack or a sumo rack would fit, but a squat rack is really only useful for limited exercises and trying to find a used sumo is really difficult. I could post pics of my rack if you'd like, it's essentially the same one that is in the post above mine.

SamWatson87
02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Here

krosalclist
02-13-2012, 11:16 PM
dope poster

Wukillabeez78
02-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Here

Nice Rack! Have you ever considered painting it?

SamWatson87
02-14-2012, 04:20 PM
dope poster

DeNiro makes sure I don't **** around.

Nice Rack! Have you ever considered painting it?

I have considered it, but my gym isn't very aesthetic, it's a 12x12 unfinished room in my basement. I still may stain it or something to have it last me a little longer.

The thing is solid as a rock because I have it screwed into the ceiling studs (there is no ceiling, just the boards) , not sure how stable it is when not physically attached to something. Doubt it would ever tip, but it would move a little bit when racking the bar after a squat.

Rokman
02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Over 500 precision-drilled holes in the heavy 11 ga steel of my Rogue R3. Unless you have a professional machine-shop, buy used. The wood rack pictured looks pretty decent.

WideGrip90
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
wow, do they hold up under heavy weights? pretty amazing bro nice one

edit: something wrong with my quoting abilities, talking to the guy with the wooden squat rack

yabbadabbadoher
02-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Would scaffolding be a bad choice? its relatively cheap, and widely available. With slight mods, I think it could do the job.

owasM
02-15-2012, 03:37 AM
I went through the process of a homemade rack, even brought half the materials, (scaf poles are my thick bars and the 2 4x4s will be my farmers walk handles now lol)
Honestly, it may be fun to make your own equipment, but a power rack/ squat rack has to be complely safe for use, i would only make smaller things that wouldnt cause any harm if they break.

that being said, my 4x4 outdoor pull up bar with a 7ft (approx) washing line pole feels completly solid with 3 people hanging off,

if you were going to make it, i wouldnt put so many holes in the wood, only for squat and bench height ,

+ wood cost pretty much the same as steel, if you could source it, u'd juat have to pay the extra fab costs

one.lifter
02-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Best wooden rack I've seen:

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/image-files/big-daddy-homemade-power-rack-platform-2.jpg

owasM
02-15-2012, 04:35 AM
Thats a nice rack, looks solid,
but the weak point has got to be those pipes?
wouldnt it be better to get the same diameter in a solid steel bar ? :)

SamWatson87
02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
wow, do they hold up under heavy weights? pretty amazing bro nice one

edit: something wrong with my quoting abilities, talking to the guy with the wooden squat rack

It holds up fine honestly. People get this idea in their mind that steel is far superior to wood, But in all honesty, for what this is wood is perfectly acceptable. Wood compresses - steel bends. Of course wood can snap as well, but it takes an incredible amount of force to snap a 4x4, even with all of the holes.

If you are confident in your workmanship it's not a bad setup. If you see my post you'll see my rationale for building one. Like others and myself have said, you're better off buying a nice used on on CL or classifieds if you can.

I feel completely safe when lifting in my rack.

tehnhoj
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
4x4's with a straight, vertical load can support a lot of weight. I wouldn't be worried at all building a solid wood rack. I honestly considered going with wood, but being able to buy metal for so cheap from my work, I went that route.

I got the metal for my rack, the metal to add structure to my pull up bar, metal for a calf block, some was 1/4 wall tubing, some 1/8 wall. Also polished rods for custom dumbbell handles, and I've still got extra metal that I bought, all for about 80 dollars.