PDA

View Full Version : Gaining weight for basketball

Treysupa
02-06-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm an aspiring ball player and I want to play on the collegiate level and I was wondering how much weight I should gain. I'm 6'1 160 pounds and was thinking about trying to get up to 195. Any ideas on what an ideal weight would be for me? Thank you any advice is much appreciated!

MuscleTechIan
02-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Treysupa,

Don't concern yourself with a specific scale weight. Focus on getting to a level of performance for the specific position you want to play. If you're looking to increase your size and power you should be doing heavy compound and Olympic lifts as well as increasing your calories to gain size.

Treysupa
02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Treysupa,

Don't concern yourself with a specific scale weight. Focus on getting to a level of performance for the specific position you want to play. If you're looking to increase your size and power you should be doing heavy compound and Olympic lifts as well as increasing your calories to gain size.

What are some good Olympic lifts for basketball training?

BigBear93
02-07-2012, 07:45 AM
What are some good Olympic lifts for basketball training? Squats, squats, and oh yeah, MORE squats. I'm in the same boat as you man, I'm doing plyometrics and strength training because I really want to dunk by the end of the semester (I can grab rim). Anyways, squats, bench, rows, lunges, and snatches (also called the clean and jerk) are really helpful for basketball training. These will get you stronger, quicker, and bigger. Good luck!

Treysupa
02-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Squats, squats, and oh yeah, MORE squats. I'm in the same boat as you man, I'm doing plyometrics and strength training because I really want to dunk by the end of the semester (I can grab rim). Anyways, squats, bench, rows, lunges, and snatches (also called the clean and jerk) are really helpful for basketball training. These will get you stronger, quicker, and bigger. Good luck!

Yeah right now I'm doing ployometrics too and thanks for the ideas. Good luck and I bet you'll be dunking soon

SoccerMuscle5
02-07-2012, 09:30 PM
The last thing you want to worry about is gaining when it comes to college sports. They take care of that for you. Just focus on your skills. If they want you to gain, trust me, they will make you sign in at the dining hall and eat a certain amount of meals per day, lift extra etc. You just have to show you have potential and are dedicated. If you that good, they will take care of the rest. Stay focused